Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland updates and snow reports 2021-22

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
Slight shame they haven’t got the new Rannoch Chair operational yet. I don’t think the chairs are on the cable yet. Anyone know the issue ?

Quote:
It’s due to be certified later in January

Does anyone know if there's any update on the new chair Puzzled It will transform access across The Plateau. Here's hoping that it will be operational this season.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice video Smile

https://fb.watch/a-LgK-OLUk/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski wrote:
@mountainaddict, main basin looks about ready to go! A thaw/freeze would be spot on for some consolidation!!

Main Basin has reportedly caught a lot more snow than Happy Valley, all eyes on the summit weather station tonight. If the the temperature does come down later this evening we should have the start of a real base for the first time is season.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
All eyes on the summit weather station tonight. If the the temperature does come down later this evening we should have the start of a real base for the first time is season.
Well, overnight thaw it was... rolling eyes

The Nevis cam showing the lower slopes looks distinctly like one step forward, two steps back this morning - but, looking at Glencoe, could it actually be two steps forward, one step back overall Puzzled

Heavy snow forecast off and on until Sunday, with freezing levels between 300-1000m. The waiting game continues...

snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mountainaddict wrote:
but, looking at Glencoe, could it actually be two steps forward, one step back overall Puzzled

Heavy snow forecast off and on until Sunday, with freezing levels between 300-1000m. The waiting game continues...

The Main Basin actually looks fairly promising given the forecast, even Island Rock gully looks to have filled fairly well, but the Haggis Trap looks like it might be a vertical drop into the waterfall! Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thinking of heading up to Scotland this weekend. Chances of Glencoe having some lifts running?

Will be bringing my touring setup as well
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mouse555, slim at the moment but also hopeful! Latest update

Overnight thaw has left us with no complete runs for snowsports. There is snow in the forecast so watch this space. Plenty of snow on the sledging slope and Access Chair now open for sledging and sightseeing. Strong westerly wind so wrap up warm if visiting.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Glencoe will have Access and a couple of surface lifts on the plateau running probably tomorrow afternoon, windy in the AM and stormbound just now. But snowing a lot.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gotta be hopeful for some lifts to open tomorrow, winds scuppered plans for today at Glencoe

latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Plateau Poma and Coire Pollach Tow to run Friday serving the triangle of linger green runs on the plateau. Will be the longest runs / mix of terrain currently open - tickets to be bought online !

Nevis had machines working on the Fairway under the quad and links to the Goose T-bar this afternoon. Probably needs a bit more to connect but maybe from Tower 4 on the Goose if the wind behaves at the weekend !
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://www.winterhighland.info/general/
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nevis open!

Gondola is due to run at 9am.
There is an increase in winds later in the day so a morning visit may be advisable.

Please be advised that due to windy conditions, trees may be down on the lower trails - care required when biking.

Conditions and Lift Status
Alpha tow will be open today, the traverse will take you out to the Quad rd, with a short walk to top station. Its looking to be 2 cats wide. Rabbit will also be open. Yockies is broken so will not be open. It's early season conditions and tickets will be limited to Season Ticket holders and 100 non season ticket holders. Winds are due to pick up in the afternoon so make it an early visit if possible!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cliffhanger opened this afternoon at Glencoe, probably not going to run Saturday due to the forecast wind. Should be quite a bit of fresh snow tonight, but on the Plateau it will get rained on tomorrow morning so likely to be slow and sticky. Wall and Canyon seeing turns today. Everything points to Sunday as the day to go West, light winds, some light snow showers around and a top up of fresh on Saturday night too. Lots of snow pushed onto parts of the Main Basin T-bar track today, it is very unlikely to run on Saturday, but they are hopeful of getting uplift open to the top for the first time this season on Sunday. snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In the east Glenshee needs another decent fall before they can open any more lifts.

The good news is they are making the best use of their snow factory. Its been open every day for learners, improvers and school groups and should hopefully mean they can cover some of their costs.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ski toured at Cairngorm today with Mrs MA. Skis on from bottom, so that was a result.

Cover on the mountain looked very decent - but that was deceptive as a lot more snow is needed to open any tows above the Snow Factory snow on the beginners area. The Gunbarrel and Cas were very thin, narrow and rocky and the White Lady looked even worse.

The wind was worse than forecast, rising to absolutely ferocious at Ptarmigan Restaurant level. As a result, snow cover in the Ptarmigan Bowl is not very extensive. There was decent cover against the fences but a lot of the bowl has been stripped of snow in the wind.

We got to within 150m of the summit, via the top of the Ptarmigan Tow, before the snow ran out amidst a boulder field, so turned back at that point.

Snow on the descent (via The Traverse, Cas and Zig Zags) had been chopped up in places by a piste basher.That made for some choppy/tricky turns here and there but still some lovely snow in places.

Sod's Law of ski touring applied today - sunny ascent, with the weather closing in a bit for the descent but, as ever, still nice to be out in the mountains.

In view of the the wild wind that's forecast tomorrow, looks like we'll be hiking somewhere low-level. Will reassess after that, with a view to another day or two of ski touring
snow report
@mountainaddict, good effort. Seems likely now that the higher mountains of the Highlands are in for a protracted pasting, hopefully setting us all up for some good ski days in better weather.
ski holidays
Glenshee a world class resort. On the first timers venture up the ears may pop and the sprouting ski lifts spring and sway from various highland peaks.
Shiny, happy people everywhere today. A few centremeters of good quality heavy snowflakes this afternoon and setting up to be a good week of slope style action. Although there’s only a few slopes filled in there’s plenty of go getters riding the snow pockets wherever they find them. Seems a good slope off the top Perth side of the carpark where the skilled were doing black flips off a short chunky run out.
snow conditions
Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
A snowy, rainy, pea souper of a day for ski touring at Glencoe today.

Wet snow, which is becoming patchy, below the top of the Cliffhanger Chair. Fairly extensive cover on The Wall and up in the Main Basin. It snowed all day on the upper mountain. The Wall in particular was good fun and had been skied into a pisted run. The upper mountain was a bit sticky where it hadn't been skied and was challenging in the dense fog.

Only a bit more snow needed to cover the rocks at the tops of the tow tracks of the Wall T bar and the top of the Main Basin T bar (see pic below). The Haggis Trap is still about 15 feet deep, so a lot more snow is needed there.

Very busy on the open runs - big queues for the Plateau Poma and Cliffhanger Chair, which we avoided as we were skinning up. The queue for the Plateau Cafe was outside in the rain.

A bit of a day for diehards because of the weather - but everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves Very Happy

ski holidays
Surely get some skiing end of this week, heavy snowfall forecast for Friday at CG, 26cm in one day?

https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Cairngorm/6day/mid
snow report
I’d say perhaps by next week we will have some more lifts turning. There’s very little base so they need a lot of snow to get going - some more than others
ski holidays
http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe/

Main basin open today Cool
latest report
Peter S wrote:
http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe/

Main basin open today Cool

From what I can see there, Etive Glades side looks like it has some decent cover, so the Haggis Trap should be avoidable.
snow conditions
Another fun day of Glencoe ski touring today with fresh snow conditions. Bright/sunny spells and some snowfall too.
Quote:
Etive Glades side looks like it has some decent cover, so the Haggis Trap should be avoidable
Correct Very Happy - although it was being skied and didn’t look too bad at all.

The Spring Run looked very inviting - but we gave it a miss as the Ski Patrol advised that it was only worth doing if you didn't value your ski bases too highly...

snow conditions
Quote:
Does anyone know if there's any update on the new chair It will transform access across The Plateau. Here's hoping that it will be operational this season
I asked the Glencoe owner about the new chair a couple of days ago, when we were up there.

He confirmed that the system is up and running, although the chairs still need to be attached Very Happy - but it is indeed awaiting Dept of Transport approval. It was hoped that the DoT would visit in January...then February...But they have dragged their heels rolling eyes and it is now hoped that the inspection will happen in March.

It will be great when the new chair is operational - there was a very lengthy queue for the Plateau Poma last Sunday. It would be good if the next second hand lift they acquire is to replace the single-seat Cliffhanger Chair wink Now that really would be transformational. Good on Glencoe for their progress to date and pro-active approach in challenging times.

It was also good to see that the new cafe/base lodge building is almost finished. The Coe website says that they hope to get the keys at the end of this month. Being metal-clad, it does look rather utilitarian, compared to its wooden predecessor, but I'm sure it will do the job well enough.

snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
It was also good to see that the new cafe/base lodge building is almost finished. The Coe website says that they hope to get the keys at the end of this month. Being metal-clad, it does look rather utilitarian, compared to its wooden predecessor, but I'm sure it will do the job well enough.

The new building looks pretty good from your photo. And if it's opening soon, I'll be looking forward to some apres therein during March and April before retiring to the van.
latest report
Quote:
The new building looks pretty good from your photo. And if it's opening soon, I'll be looking forward to some apres therein during March and April before retiring to the van
We were too moffatross...

The TV in the portacabin cafe shows a message saying 'Free camping during the snowsports season' BUT they have signs up in the carpark saying (words to the effect of) 'No overnight van parking except in our designated bays' Confused
latest report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
The new building looks pretty good from your photo. And if it's opening soon, I'll be looking forward to some apres therein during March and April before retiring to the van
We were too moffatross...

The TV in the portacabin cafe shows a message saying 'Free camping during the snowsports season' BUT they have signs up in the carpark saying (words to the effect of) 'No overnight van parking except in our designated bays' Confused

I sort of get that as it always looked to me that the parking spaces were marked out for 1970's sized cars, so anything like a pickup or van takes up two spaces (or more as they're wider than the parking bays too). Andy would probably only let it bother him on the few days a season that the place gets mobbed at weekends. I can't see them bothering us midweek or any time towards the end of the season when the snow is often at its best.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When is the end of the season? We’re thinking of taking a trip up at the end of March.
snow report
@bambionskiis, end of season depends on continued interest in skiing and of course, having enough snow to operate. In some past seasons, Glencoe, Cairngorm and Nevis Range have remained open until the very beginning of May. I've got really fond memories of late season trips, some of them with my children, sometimes with ski buddies. The days are long, the breeze is gentle, the air is warm, and the snow is a beautiful corn Cool

Edit - Freshies quite possible end of season too. I took these two pix a few years ago at Glencoe on 27th April.

snow conditions
The police just knocked on my door and I got a flashback of when I was interviewed a couple of years back due to the Monopoly group I was in disbanding and then accusations thrown wildly. It was touch and go as one of the group had passed away so could not bear witness. Anyway they saw sense and I learnt a valuable lesson about nieve trust and monopoly in that the only one I could trust in that game was the boot or small dog I rode with. Excuse me, I digress..They were informing me that the snow gates at Braemar and Spittal of Glenshee have closed so if I wanted out I was to call them..A beautiful blanket of snow both layed and arriving illuminated in a bright moon sure is a purdey sight in the wee hours. Hopefully a few more runs at Glenshee will be opening tomorrow to get stuck into. It’s not the 25cm forecasted presently but 6-7 and still going for it. Yippeeee, cow bells time.
ski holidays
@moffatross, thanks that gives me hope. I know it’s an unknown quantity but just trying to gauge it really. I’d be very happy with the conditions in your photos. @oneglove, have a great time
ski holidays
@moffatross, Indeed - these were 30th April 2018 Glencoe, snow was lovely.........warm tho !

2 weeks earlier I had done a short sleeved road bike ride out to North Berwick Very Happy

ski holidays
and when the lifts shut you can still tour, last year I toured twice in May inc fresh snow in Aviemore early May and I think @mountainaddict, got a tour in on 1st June from memory!!
snow report
That's right Kitenski Very Happy

As moffatross has alluded to, in a (ahem) normal year - Glencoe, Nevis Range and Cairngorm can be relied on for pretty decent snow cover and lifts to be open well into April. Glenshee may well be decent higher up as well, but we've never tried it at that time of year.

Once the lifts close, May generally has great cover for ski touring. June can have enough snow for 200-300m of vertical for the diehards who are prepared to walk to the snowline - typically 20-30 mins from Glencoe Access Chair; 35-45 mins from Nevis Gondola; and 25-45 mins from the Cas Car Park at Cairngorm. After the epic winter of 2009/10, we ski toured at Cairngorm on 30th June. We skied all the way from the Ptarmigan to just about boardwalk level in the Ciste Gully.

These pics are all taken after 27th of April between 2018 and 2021. The final two pics are at Cairngorm on 1st June 2021 - summer skiing at its finest wink

ski holidays
Webcams look great at both Glenshee and Glencoe, both opening but the weather is not looking amazing over next few days.

Coe isnt selling tickets for tomorrow (and next week is also blocked out online for both resorts til it becomes clearer).

Had a laugh when I called Coe to check if it was sold out or blocked due to the conditions - girl on the end of the phone said "aye, weather next week looking pretty gash".........I just about spat out my tea Very Happy

Possibility of Monday being better so fingers crossed etc.
ski holidays
anyone lucky enough to get out today Smile

Glencoe sold out of tickets yesterday I believe!

snow report
I had a quick tour on Thursday up Glen Feshie which was good. Weather properly closed in after that and webcam at house (GoS) was deep yesterday. This week looking like more loading up of snow, i'm booking a couple of days of week after next based on long range, woo hoo !
snow report
Surely best day of the season so far for Glencoe!
ski holidays
@denfinella, as you were saying: https://www.inthesnow.com/scottish-ski-centres-enjoy-best-day-of-season-so-far/ Madeye-Smiley
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy