Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginner Skiing Off Piste

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Arno wrote:
^^^ cf Alex Honnold on the latest Fifty episode Laughing

Is that worth a watch?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@BobinCH, it’s not the best one but there’s some good gratuitous suffering and nice scenery
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have a confession. I don’t really feel the need to go off piste. I enjoy pistes, I ski well on pistes. I am not bothered if someone thinks that therefore my skiing such as it is is no good. I enjoy myself, so does my wife, and 3 daughters. We are holiday skiers going two or three times a year tops. Off piste is for those who want to do it.
Disparaging people, for being piste skiers is as stupid as me disparaging for example golfers who only play in the summer in relatively still warm conditions such as Florida, rather than in a 2 to 3 club wind on a UK lincs course. Enjoy what you do, it is for nearly all of us not a job.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
On here by the way as most offpiste skiers seem to be on the Piste thread Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ecrinscollective wrote:
... As a side note about avalanche awareness, people assume climbers already know a lot about this, not always. No real issues with avalanche on summer alps snow lines, and in Scotland climber tend to use the forecast but don’t carry transceivers and probes etc, so some extra training in this maybe needed?...
Thread drift, but...
Yes, I've never known people use transceivers in the UK, yet one competent mate of mine died in Scotland in a slide.
I suppose it's a risk assessment and Scottish mountains are different in character, but there it is.

And drifting in a different direction...
Quote:
I have a confession. I don’t really feel the need to go off piste. ...Disparaging people, for being piste skiers is as stupid as ...
I don't like off-piste when it's cruddy cut up stuff which a thousand skiers have bashed with their skis, or unprotected and unpatrolled lines, or frozen crud.

On the other hand one day I ended up in North America where it's just a question of riding where the best
snow is... there are bits which are machine-groomed, but you don't need to be macho or willy-waving or even particularly
competent not to be restricted to those.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
twoodwar wrote:
I have a confession. I don’t really feel the need to go off piste. I enjoy pistes, I ski well on pistes. I am not bothered if someone thinks that therefore my skiing such as it is is no good. I enjoy myself, so does my wife, and 3 daughters. We are holiday skiers going two or three times a year tops. Off piste is for those who want to do it.
Disparaging people, for being piste skiers is as stupid as me disparaging for example golfers who only play in the summer in relatively still warm conditions such as Florida, rather than in a 2 to 3 club wind on a UK lincs course. Enjoy what you do, it is for nearly all of us not a job.

I don't think anyone is disparaging piste skiers. In all honesty I'd rather more people were like you and left the powder untracked for me!

I know plenty of "holiday skiers" who love off piste. You really don't need to be particularly good to have some fun in some mellow powder fields. Of course in Europe it's more complicated due to avalanche risks, but as said above in North America where resorts are avalanches controlled it's the norm. As they say variety is the spice of life, give it a go sometime and you may find you enjoy some nicely glades trees or some powder skiing - plenty of us off piste skiers still enjoy a good groomer too.

Quote:

As a side note about avalanche awareness, people assume climbers already know a lot about this, not always... don’t carry transceivers and probes

Yeah it's extremely rare for climbers to use avalanche beacons, even on routes with known avy danger. Never really heard a good answer for why.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have a couple of mates who are climbers who take the wee wee out me for always carrying avi gear out of bounds. Never understood why they are like that.

Had to use it in anger a few weeks ago. Really wouldn’t want to be in that situation and not have it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
twoodwar wrote:

Some people don't care to ski at all. They'd rather prefer to go somewhere warm and sunny for a holiday in the winter!

Quote:

Yes, there're a few people who constantly disparaging piste only skiers. They're just as uninformed and as narrow-minded as the beach goers disparaging skiers. Truth be told, my golfing skill is terrible as I have only played once ever in my whole life! The activity just never appeal to me. Hence my lack of skill due to lack of practice. Wink

The reality being, off-piste skiing isn't just for experts. In north America, beginners go off-piste by the end of their 1st week!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy