Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt and Cervinia 2021-2022

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks. Typical, the Pila pass is not covered by the Cervinia/ Zermatt pass, signed up anyway.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@caughtanedge, apologies.@ed123, I should have directed it to you!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This is turning into a really frustrating season. The current snow, which is continuing up high, is very welcome and will make for a couple of days of really nice skiing (once the winds die down). But it needed to be followed up by a couple of similar or larger dumps. Instead we yet again get GFS tell us there is nothing on the way.

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@JohnMo, the good thing to know though is that it will be wrong Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
twoodwar wrote:
@JohnMo, the good thing to know though is that it will be wrong Toofy Grin

That is certainly true. I was hoping that the breakdown of the high pressure that let this storm in would open the door for others. Doesn’t seem that way at present. The coming weekend should have seen the Rote Nasa/Stockhorn itineraries opening. No chance of that. There is only one itinerary open in the whole area. Awful for February that.

Anyway my current worry is the Rockies as I am off to Steamboat, Colorado on Sunday (Covid test permitting). Sadly they are going through the same thing. No decent dumps for over a fortnight and nothing significant in the forecast. I am not back to Zermatt until 20 February so hopefully the snow will have got itself sorted by then.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I thought the Italian side might not have done so well because of the direction the storm came from. But this looks pretty good over on their side.

snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@johnmo - some people get to have all the fun! Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There was about 30cm in the Cervinia this morning. Closer to 1m at the top. Weather permitting we will head over to Zermatt to.orrow.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JimboS wrote:
There was about 30cm in the Cervinia this morning. Closer to 1m at the top. Weather permitting we will head over to Zermatt to.orrow.

That sounds great. The winds certainly look a lot less severe tomorrow although the gusts are still up there. Friday and Saturday looking better. The below is for Klein Matterhorn

latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
JimboS wrote:
Thanks. Typical, the Pila pass is not covered by the Cervinia/ Zermatt pass, signed up anyway.

Make sure you ask for a refund from ticket office for the closed days, Aosta valley resorts are usually very good at refunding/giving future credit on windy/closed/partially closed days.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not sure if anyone knows anything, but there was a small avalanche down the gully under the Hirli chair. I was just a couple of minutes behind. Looks like it buried someone. They didn't have transceivers though so random prodding when I got there before the patrols arrived. Still closed, and looks like it might be a fatality Sad
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@JohnMo, knew it would be wrong, and so might this, but it has snow snowHead

latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
twoodwar wrote:

Yes. Monday’s snow is getting into the reliable range and that looks like a decent amount. Topping up the snow from earlier this week things should be getting very nice. The frustrating thing is that the snow levels are about average for the year, it is just that the January drought meant until recently it was mainly old snow.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
teapea wrote:
Not sure if anyone knows anything, but there was a small avalanche down the gully under the Hirli chair. I was just a couple of minutes behind. Looks like it buried someone. They didn't have transceivers though so random prodding when I got there before the patrols arrived. Still closed, and looks like it might be a fatality Sad

That sounds dreadful. I haven’t seen anything anywhere else so let’s hope there was no tragedy.

The gully under the Hirli chair is reallly susceptible to this. The incline on skier’s left is such that there will almost always be a slide of some size after there has been a decent snowfall (as there was earlier this week). A lot of people go down that gully as: (a) it is a really nice and fairly easy off piste run; and (b) it is easily viewed and accessible from the lift and you can see right the way down to where you rejoin the piste. However this means a lot of people doing it are doing it without avi gear even when, as this week, the avi warning level is high.
ski holidays
Feb 17th looking interesting!

latest report
Utter filth in nearby Lauchernalp today.

Back out there again on the 18th so another dump just before would do nicely Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Forecasts are starting to look interesting for the next couple of weeks!
Leaves me with a bit of conundrum for lift pass purchase, any advice appreciated.
We are aiming to arrive in Cervinia Saturday late morning and leave Thursday morning.
I was thinking afternoon pass for Cervinia/Val but it doesn't appear to exist (I'm sure it was there a few weeks ago), then 4 days International.
Could do pm at Val then 4 days international I guess.
Then I looked at Aosta Valley pass but only a 6 day option if we want to go to Zermatt (which we do) but will the weather close the link and/or all the Cervinia lifts for 1 or more days?
Trying to get the best option without overpaying!!
ski holidays
alasdair.graham wrote:
JimboS wrote:

Make sure you ask for a refund from ticket office for the closed days, Aosta valley resorts are usually very good at refunding/giving future credit on windy/closed/partially closed days.

I gave it a try on Friday, they said come back after the card had expired and they would give a voucher to be used either this season or next. Given we were leaving before the office opened on Sunday, that was not possible.

Crystal did manage to get a letter from them saying that the lifts were closed on Monday and Tuesday so may try to get a refund from my insurance but expect that will be wiped out by the excess.
snow conditions
17th looking stronger!

snow conditions
Any restaurant recommendations for Saturday night (staying at Cœur des Alpes) and for lunchtime if we can’t get into Chez Vrony or Chalet d’Etoile?
latest report
Also, any good ski tours out of Zermatt?
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
Any restaurant recommendations for Saturday night (staying at Cœur des Alpes) and for lunchtime if we can’t get into Chez Vrony or Chalet d’Etoile?

Have you tried Findlerhof?
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:

There is so much choice in town - what’s your preference? For casual, burgers etc there’s Grizzly’s, Hotel post, Italian try Casa Mia, Pizzeria Roma, vieux Valais, obviously plenty of choice more upmarket if you prefer?
On mountain, I know everyone makes a beeline for Chez Vrony but all the restaurants in Findeln are great, Adler, Enzian,Findlerhof, Vrony’s son is now running Paradies also in Findeln.
Alphitta at Riffelalp is good, as is Zum See further down below Furi. We also like Simi just under the Furi lift station
ski holidays
scotsgirl wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

There is so much choice in town - what’s your preference? For casual, burgers etc there’s Grizzly’s, Hotel post, Italian try Casa Mia, Pizzeria Roma, vieux Valais, obviously plenty of choice more upmarket if you prefer?
On mountain, I know everyone makes a beeline for Chez Vrony but all the restaurants in Findeln are great, Adler, Enzian,Findlerhof, Vrony’s son is now running Paradies also in Findeln.
Alphitta at Riffelalp is good, as is Zum See further down below Furi. We also like Simi just under the Furi lift station

Awesome thanks. It’s a Valentines Day thing so upmarket ok for Saturday. I know we’re probably going to struggle this late with anywhere popular but any hidden gems that might fit?
snow conditions
Ah ok, well if you’re splurging a bit for Valentines, maybe Cervo up above Sunnegga, or the restaurant in the Schoenegg hotel which is where they filmed the Night Manager (a bit of it anyway!) or maybe the After Seven restaurant (these are all quite modern). More traditional would maybe be Spycher
We also quite liked Atelier Grandsire…. Portions aren’t huge (if that matters) but food is good and it’s ‘smarter’ than the burger and pizza places I mentioned earlier!!
snow conditions
Sorry Brasserie Uno is also nice!
latest report
BobinCH wrote:
Also, any good ski tours out of Zermatt?

Hi Robin. I can’t add to the excellent advice on the restaurants. On the ski tours I think this, while old, is one of the best guides there is. It covers off piste generally and not just touring:

https://www.mountaintracks.co.uk/blog/off-piste-guide-zermatt

There is also a short list of tours on the Zermatt website:

https://www.zermatt.ch/en/Media/List-Tours/Tours

which overlaps significantly with the guided skit tours that the official guides take people on:

https://www.zermatters.ch/en/winter/Sk_%26schneeschuhtouren

If you haven’t done it previously you should do the Schwarztor. It is an excellent tour and starts very high so hopefully the snow will be OK.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@JohnMo, perfect thanks! I have done the Schwarztor 10 years back and it was great. Think it needs a fair bit of snow at the bottom to cross the gorge?
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
@JohnMo, perfect thanks! I have done the Schwarztor 10 years back and it was great. Think it needs a fair bit of snow at the bottom to cross the gorge?

It takes a fair bit to ski it. But you can get through on foot. When I was there a few weeks back the Zermatters office were recommending against doing it - or indeed any tour - because the snow was insufficient as you got further down. You will know better than me (because Zermatt and Verbier snow conditions tend not to diverge very much) what things are like now.
latest report
How is the snow on Cervinia side? Going there in a few weeks.
ski holidays
@BobinCH, Blattern below Zum Zee is also excellent
ski holidays
Hotel booked us Adlerhitta, Sonnmaten for dinner and Rocce nere on Sunday.

Seems the wind placed havoc with the off piste so Schwarztor not in condition. A cheeky tour and some Piste cruising on the Kaestle’s should be fun
latest report
BobinCH wrote:

Seems the wind placed havoc with the off piste so Schwarztor not in condition. A cheeky tour and some Piste cruising on the Kaestle’s should be fun

Adler is a nice place…. Their specialty is chicken on a spit with potatoes - delicious - they don’t always put it in the menu but ask for the huhne!!
I forgot about Sonnmatten, but it’s nice too, up in Winkelmatten but a nice walk (uphill) to get there and even nicer walk (downhill!) back to town. Since it’s right at the edge of the village some nice fairly uninterrupted views (though it will probably be dark!)
Have a great time
snow report
scotsgirl wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Adler is a nice place…. Their specialty is chicken on a spit with potatoes - delicious - they don’t always put it in the menu but ask for the huhne!!
I forgot about Sonnmatten, but it’s nice too, up in Winkelmatten but a nice walk (uphill) to get there and even nicer walk (downhill!) back to town. Since it’s right at the edge of the village some nice fairly uninterrupted views (though it will probably be dark!)
Have a great time

Great thanks! My wife is a Scots girl so hopefully you have similar taste Very Happy
ski holidays
Can you ski tour from Zermatt to Findeln? And if so how far is it? Google maps says 2 hours walking. Is that the best way?
ski holidays
Never done it, but it’s a definite snowshoe walk, and a good summer hike.
snow report
That looks like the winter path. You wouldn’t need skins or snowshoes to do it. We walk that way all the time. We do tend to put our microspikes on but lots of people do it without. I don’t think it takes two hours. Maybe an hour and a half? I never time us!
latest report
So good to be back snowHead
snow report
Chf110 for a day pass covering Cervinia “Dynamic pricing”. That’s a bit punchy!!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy