Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Verbier 4 Vallées 2020/21

Poster: A snowHead
Still some fun to be had

Open down to Ruinettes

Snow coming this week. Wax up the powder boards...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Enjoying these updates. I’ve got flights into Geneva from the 14th-21st Dec and the current plan is to head to Verbier which I’ve not been to before so soaking up the local knowledge.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great pic of Tortin @LaForet. Best piste in the Alps Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
How do I go back in time 45 years then arrange to be adopted by @BobinCH?

Young ‘un seems to be enjoying the ups as well as the downs.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great pictures!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Very rocky off piste you wouldnt want to fall head first
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Don’t worry, put some heavy rocks in his backpack and sent the kid first as a minesweeper wink

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If one were to go travel to Siviez from GVA, it looks to me like the only sensible option is a hire car. Is there a public transportation option?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@diaphon, there is a ski bus from Haute-Nendaz (15m), and you can get there by train to Sion and bus up the hill (2h45m). Suspect at the weekends there is a direct bus from Sion for day trippers.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@BobinCH, thank you that looks perfect!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Anyone know where is the best bet for snow in Switzerland at the moment ?
Was looking at either davos, nendaz (to link to 4 valleys) or laax.

Cheers
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Rom77 wrote:
Anyone know where is the best bet for snow in Switzerland at the moment ?
Was looking at either davos, nendaz (to link to 4 valleys) or laax.

Cheers

Suspect everywhere struggling today and equally will all be looking good by Sunday. Not sure Nendaz is open yet though? In theory it may open this weekend but you should check what if relying on it to get across to Verbier.

Davos and Laax are other side of CH so watch what happens this weekend to see who gets the most snow. These are good links for snow depths across CH

https://www.slf.ch/en/avalanche-bulletin-and-snow-situation/measured-values.html

https://www.slf.ch/en/avalanche-bulletin-and-snow-situation/snow-maps.html
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cheers for that.
Got flights booked for the 12th to Geneva but no Accom booked yet so Aiming to head to wherever looks best then.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rom77 wrote:
Cheers for that.
Got flights booked for the 12th to Geneva but no Accom booked yet so Aiming to head to wherever looks best then.

Good plan!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Rom77 wrote:
Cheers for that.

Same!
snow report
On the advice of @BobinCH I wrote to the tourist office in Nendaz enquiring when they hoped to open their ski slopes - short answer is they don't know yet. So my Nendaz / Siviez plans are on hold, but I've got my ticket to Geneva just in case. Looks like it's snowing in the 4 Valleys today?
ski holidays
@diaphon,

10cm so far. Click that link above and expand to see new snow measurements.
snow report
I use this one for an idea of the 8 day forecast but you can’t trust it more than 3 days out. It’s already down from 60cm to 40cm over the weekend from yesterday’s forecast
https://www.yr.no/en/forecast/daily-table/2-2658168/Switzerland/Valais/Entremont/Verbier

And this for further out
https://www.wetterzentrale.de/en/ens_image.php?geoid=10768&var=201&run=0&date=2020-11-22&model=gfs&member=ENS&bw=1
latest report
apols for double-tapping on another Swiss thread. Complete Swiss noob here, most grateful for any top tips, where to go, where to stay, travelling on 12/12 with my teenage son. Completely flexible where we go. TIA
ski holidays
Dravot wrote:
apols for double-tapping on another Swiss thread. Complete Swiss noob here, most grateful for any top tips, where to go, where to stay, travelling on 12/12 with my teenage son. Completely flexible where we go. TIA

What standard are you both and what’s your budget?
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
Dravot wrote:

What standard are you both and what’s your budget?
I'm decent intermediate, my son is beginner to intermediate. Budget, don't really want to go over £1500 on accom
snow conditions
Assuming he’s confident Verbier might work well if it snows at the weekend. You can currently get him the annual under 14 pass for 300chf or under 24 annual pass for 400chf if you’re planning on coming back later in the season.

Here’s a good value, well positioned airbnb - https://abnb.me/HPLFp4T0Rbb

And here are some decent hotel options

snow report
Spot on, many thanks. I'd seen a couple of those hotels on booking - good to see the location is recommended. Would you recommend Verbier over say Wengen or Zermatt? We'll be using the train - all look suitably well connected.
ski holidays
Zermatt is also great, although very high and quite exposed at the top so I prefer it in April (when the Italian side would also be open). Sorry never skied in Wengen - post on the Jungfrau thread for beta. If you can wait another week you can see where gets more snow this weekend...
snow report
I know Verbier and Zermatt reasonably well, never skied Wengen.

I think Wengen's December snow record isn't nearly as good as Verbier or Zermatt.

Verbier can also get really cold or stormy weather in December (last year, for example), but there is skiing in the trees for when that happens.

I think Zermatt has more accessible skiing for a beginner/intermediate compared to Verbier, but a lot depends on how confident the skier is. I learned skiing as an adult and don't think Verbier would have been a good choice for me in the early days.

Bad weather can close the slopes in any resort, so also consider what you'd do in that event.
ski holidays
Morning!
snow report
Evening Bob, from the dark side

ski holidays
Looks like Nendaz/Siviez have announced plans to open from 5 Dec. From the Nendaz tourism website:

Siviez
Piste of Plan du Fou - Siviez : every day
Take-Away in Restaurant Plan du Fou : every day
Piste of Tortin - Siviez : weekends
Link with Verbier via Chassoure : weekends

Veysonnaz
Piste l’Ours - half slope : every day
Take-Away in Restaurant Mont-Rouge : every day
Link with Thyon (Trabanta und Etherolla): every day

For those with local knowledge, does it seem likely that that link to Verbier via Chassoure will transition to opening daily in the next few weeks?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dravot wrote:
Spot on, many thanks. I'd seen a couple of those hotels on booking - good to see the location is recommended. Would you recommend Verbier over say Wengen or Zermatt? We'll be using the train - all look suitably well connected.

Wengen had a good dump a few days ago alongside extensive snowmaking ,snow conditions look great with more forecast at the weekend
ski holidays
Good pix.
snow conditions
@diaphon, the top of the Chassoure itinerary is very rocky so probably needs a fair bit more snow until they will open the run. This could be why the lift is only opening at the weekend where it will be acting purely as an access route for those coming from Siviez (won’t be worth their while during the week). Safer to stay in Verbier at this stage of the season if you have the option
ski holidays
Bring on the ski tests!
snow report
La Chaux opening tomorrow

Du 5 au 11 décembre:

Installations ouvertes:

Secteur de Verbier:
Télécabine Le Châble – Verbier de 08:40 à 19:30
Télécabine Verbier - Les Ruinettes de 08:45 à 16:15
Funispace de 08:55 à 16:15
Télésiège Lac des Vaux 1 de 09:05 à 16:15
Télésiège Lac des Vaux 2 de 09:15 à 16:00
Télésiège Les Attelas de 09:00 à 16:15 (uniquement le weekend du 05-06.12.20)
Télécabine Chassoure-Tortin de 09:15 à 16:15 (uniquement le weekend du 05-06.12.20)
Télécabine Chaux Express de 09:00 à 16:15

Secteur de La Tzoumaz uniquement le week-end du 05-05.12.2020:
Télécabine Tzoumaz-Savoleyres de 08:45 à 16:15 (liaison uniquement, pistes fermées)
Télécabine Verbier-Savoleyres de 08:45 à 16h:15 (liaison uniquement, pistes fermées)

Pistes ouvertes:

Secteur de Verbier:
Piste bleue Lac des Vaux 1
Piste noire Lac des Vaux 1
Piste rouge Lac des Vaux 2
Piste bleue de la Chaux
Piste rouge de la Chaux
Piste rouge Attelas-Ruinettes

Secteur de La Tzoumaz uniquement le week-end du 05-05.12.2020:
Liaison uniquement, pistes fermées

Restaurants ouverts (take away uniquement):

Médran Café
L'Olympique
Le Chalet Carlsbeg
L'Ice Cube
Restaurant de Savoleyres (uniquement le weekend du 05-06.12.20)
snow report
Hi All - some great posts and info in here Smile

I find myself with a free 5 day 4 valley pass (an offer from my PdS season pass) and nothing to do in December. I've never skied 4v and was thinking of jumping on an easyJet flight from LGW to Geneva on the 12/13th and staying in the Hotel de la Post (or similar) in La Tzoumaz. Self isolating on return not a problem and will likely do the five days with a test.

How much do you think will be open? will this be feasible?

Many thanks!
snow conditions
@Scrooger, I'm sure knowledgeable locals will have more meaningful replies than I can offer, but I'd just point out that as of today, La Tzoumaz is only open on the weekends. I would imagine they will be able to open up more frequently next week and the week after that, but the tourist office says no guarantees yet.

EDITED: I had mistakenly pasted in 2016 lift and piste opening information, I'm deleting that!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 4-12-20 14:16; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@diaphon, do you have a link for that? The one I saw showed La Tzoumaz lift only open for the connection to Verbier.

@Scrooger, just double check you can use the 5 days consecutively. Last year for the free Chamonix passes (for Verbier season pass holders) it was max 1 per week.
snow report
@BobinCH, you are right!! Just as I was pasting in the link which I read, I double-checked and I see that it was from 2016. So, in case it's helpful to anyone to know, in 2016 La Tzoumaz slopes were open in mid-December. Sorry about that! wink

(But so that you know how convincing it looked, it was here: http://www.4vallees.ch/en/openings-from-this-weekend-3-and-4-december-fp39115.html)
snow report
nice little video

http://youtube.com/v/xB8wGQ-IYK8
snow report
@kitenski, get him on the Wally’s thread. Really needs to glide those skis rather than lift them Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@BobinCH, agreed. I also have issues with his (lack of) stride length Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy