Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc - 20/21

Poster: A snowHead
Timc wrote:
Les Gets lift queue this afternoon

https://imgur.com/a/vYHp62o

cant figure out how to embed the photo Puzzled

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@BobinCH, Thanks , but I still can't figure it out Puzzled
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Timc wrote:
@BobinCH, Thanks , but I still can't figure it out Puzzled

Just stick the link between [img] quotes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The final stage of the Dauphine heading into Les Gets for the finish right now. Winner will be found first up the higher slopes.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Timc, plus also needs .jpg added. Then [img] before and [/img] after
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@snowball, Thanks, couldn't figure that out
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Month 10.

Only about 25 people at first lift this morning at 8am, snow was firm to start with and soon softened up. Prodains car park looked full when I left, so I guess they sold the max tickets.

Talk in town was that Les Gets now has a proper fancy new art gallery, featuring a classic old riva speedboat. Not sure if any of that makes sense, in a ski resort.

Lots of work going on ripping up the roads for new elec cables and fibre optics. And a new MTB downhill track on the front of Mont Chery for the upcoming world cup...this year the main run is down thru the trees on skiers right.

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@polo, looks fantastic! Would love to be there
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@polo, I've seen it with less snow than that in mid-February Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
They've clearly spent a lot of time shovelling it around, but very well organised and great initiative (free tea and coffee, and parking at Prodains).
Last night I was inside a pub for the first time in 8 months, and next morning on a ski lift, all in mid June. Strange world.

A few more...... off-piste a bit sketchy

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@polo, amazing! Looking longingly at these pics!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It was cool. The weirdest sensation was skiing back to the lifts alongside a lake.....couldn't stop sliding closer and closer to the edge, wondering if the Riva was gonna show up.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Timc wrote:
@snowball, Thanks, couldn't figure that out

Just save the picture to your phone and upload from there.

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
polo wrote:
T, all in mid June. Strange world.
Strange indeed. in just over a week, it's the summer solstice, then the days start getting shorter and winter is on its way. I think this shows the snow would last longer if they stopped people skiing on it. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It was so nice to make a few turns, and have a few laughs on the chairlift with the boys. And all the staff on the hill were so lovely, from the cops in the carpark, to the coffee lady, lifties, bar staff, everyone. Going up again with the family on Sunday snowHead
latest report
@shep, yep was great atmosphere....every second person getting off the lift seemed to be greeted by the liftie with open arms. Sadly for me none of my gang were dedicated enough....local pub view was the snow 'would be shiiiite', 'sugar' they said. Lazy old farts, I need to change pub.
latest report
@polo, Awesome!!! What’s the gig? They opened the lift and farmed some snow for the weekend?
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
What’s the gig?

Some details here.
snow report
Yes, it was about so much more than the snow conditions wink
snow report
@BobinCH, I guess someone had a good idea, and it became a reality.....I was bemused to see the lifts running from the end of May, for MTB in Morzine / LG, just as all the snow melted there.

So someone put 2+2 together, lifts were now allowed, and they have snow in Avoriaz. One off presumably, but I think it's positive to see the french adapt and be innovative like this
latest report
Not so much a one off, they opened Arare for a week in July 2008, there was too much snow for the summer season to start!
snow conditions
polo wrote:
@BobinCH, I guess someone had a good idea, and it became a reality.....I was bemused to see the lifts running from the end of May, for MTB in Morzine / LG, just as all the snow melted there.

So someone put 2+2 together, lifts were now allowed, and they have snow in Avoriaz. One off presumably, but I think it's positive to see the french adapt and be innovative like this

Absolutely! Love it
ski holidays
@polo, that is terrific. Wonderful to have a bit of a spontaneous decision making happening. Carry on enjoying.
snow report
Oh do stop it you lot Going green
snow report
@polo, looks great an opportunity not to be missed. And who says the PDS is to low.
ski holidays
@DJL, shep started it to be fair, it was his post that got me up there, but I am encouraging mates to go this weekend in the hope organizers benefit and become more flexible. Snow is often so much better in November than June Very Happy

@stevew, Bob wink
snow report
I saw the summer skiing crop up on Facebook and assumed it was an error! How often does substantial snow last until mid June to allow skiing this late? Is it an every year occurrence they just don’t take advantage of due to a full season, or has this been an exceptional snow year that’s allowed the high lifts to spin?
snow conditions
My guess would be you could open the top half of Arare four summers in five in June, even July (like they did in 2008). Access via the Stade chair, skiing from the double-drag lifts and download the chair to return.

To be able to open Arare, Tete de Boeufs and the Fornet bowl, and to be able to return to AVZ by ski, that must be a once in ten years event. snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
polo wrote:
@DJL, shep started it to be fair, it was his post that got me up there, but I am encouraging mates to go this weekend in the hope organizers benefit and become more flexible. Snow is often so much better in November than June Very Happy

@stevew, Bob wink

Haha touché!
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
I saw the summer skiing crop up on Facebook and assumed it was an error! How often does substantial snow last until mid June to allow skiing this late? Is it an every year occurrence they just don’t take advantage of due to a full season, or has this been an exceptional snow year that’s allowed the high lifts to spin?

Exceptional Spring snow year particularly lots of snow and very low temps in May. Verbier cant open the bike park due to too much snow still up there - 1m more than usual in Lac des Vaux
snow report
@BobinCH, would be interesting to see that data at 1600-1800m? Clearly there is a deeper base at 2500m in June vs November (seems to even out by Dec), but I would say the tail risk for good snow is much more significant (out of season) than looking at the average....ie multiple deep powder days possible in Nov vs. zero in June.

Also the lower altitude pastures are much more skiable early season below 1800m compared to the rocky terrain above. So if resorts are to become more flexible re. openings it makes sense to lean lower pre-season and higher late season.
ski holidays
flicking thru the annual bulletin municipal there's a feature on old pics....copied a few and then found more via a link for old postcards at collection-jfm.fr

"Le Weekend" Hotel

Bottom of Mont Chery

Mid town - Hotel Regina still there

Front de Neige on the right...that building is probably Intersport now

Route des Chavannes was a piste back then....area above the church has 100's of chalets now
latest report
polo wrote:
@BobinCH, would be interesting to see that data at 1600-1800m? Clearly there is a deeper base at 2500m in June vs November (seems to even out by Dec), but I would say the tail risk for good snow is much more significant (out of season) than looking at the average....ie multiple deep powder days possible in Nov vs. zero in June.

Also the lower altitude pastures are much more skiable early season below 1800m compared to the rocky terrain above. So if resorts are to become more flexible re. openings it makes sense to lean lower pre-season and higher late season.

Nothing left at 1600-1800 in June. Only really above 2000m and North facing. And even then due to the heat it quickly turns to mush and isn’t much fun to ski. For decent quality snow in June I think you need to be above 3000m eg AdM, Zermatt. Re early season temps are lower so your theory makes sense but IME Verbier can always open Lac des Vaux (2700-2400m North facing cold bowl) for decent skiing by mid-November latest as what snow there is sticks around and is complemented by the cannons. I don’t know the typical season start period for the lower resorts?
snow report
@BobinCH, (2 months later)....lifts open end of Nov / early Dec for weekends usually....was thinking more about exceptional conditions outside the normal lift schedule, eg early Nov here. Anyway fingers crossed that's an issue in a few months time.

Few snaps from a 3hr bike tour in the morning

Ranfoilly lift towards Perireres

Vallee de la Manche

Cloudy over Mt Blanc

Locals out gathering chanterelles up at Jacqui Court church, some interesting history here https://www.haut-giffre.co.uk/culture-and-heritage/jacquicourt-chapel/
Roc d'enfer and Mont Chery in the background

and that really unpleasant chap who lives in the woods is renovating his chalet
snow report
Nice pics Polo! Thanks for the Jacqui Court link, very interesting Little Angel . Have you seen the old Grand Designs episode of the Ferme de Moudon in LG? M. B'stard features heavily, and amusingly! The van in your pic is parked outside us every night, our neighbour is his lead carpenter Laughing
ski holidays
@shep, I had heard lots about that episode, and finally tracked it down. Brought back memories of the struggle we had with local tradesmen on a small barn renovation too (not LG).
In the end Bstard did alright.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/grand-designs-abroad/on-demand/35938-006

the finished look...

https://www.firefly-collection.com/property/ferme-de-moudon-les-gets/
snow report
Quick q for you folks “on the ground” in Morzine and around: I’m coming over on 6 September with 2 grown up kids and a boyfriend. I see the lifts mostly close by then, though the Pleney and Nyon lifts are open the weekend of 10-12 Sept. We had lunch recently at the resto near the top of the Joux Plane (Le Wetzet?) and the lady there said she thought they were opening until 20/9, but I’ve not seen any confirmation.

We’ll be happy enough just running, walking and maybe a bit of lake action during the day - but do most restaurants etc close their doors bang on 1 September too?
snow report
@andy from embsay, I'm no expert but I would say any mountain restaurant which has only lift or hiking access will close when the lifts close. Those with road access, and the majority in the villages are likely to stay open for September. By October we're down to the few stalwarts who open year round.
latest report
Cheers @shep, it was mainly the ones in town I was interested in. I know the place on the Joux Plane and also the Mines d’Or place will be open so all good for a walk/eat combo.
ski holidays
Vast majority of bars and restaurants are still open in LG, and with lifts running until 19th Sep (3-4 days a week) I expect many will continue.
Lhottys (top of Nauchet) is usually one of the last to close on the hill, and then as Shep says there will always be a few in town open year round.

Huge difference in crowds compared to just 2 week ago, it has really thinned out now and is unusually quiet for the last week of August. Most owners are blaming the overall poor summer weather and of course the pass sanitaire / travel restrictions have made for much tougher revenue compared to last year. Even though enforcement of said pass is 'loose'.....full on nightclub scenes at Barbalon on Saturday night....just like the old days. Not a mask in sight.

A few weekend snaps from touring MC and Chamossiere

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy