Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where are the best european green slopes at ?

Poster: A snowHead
AndreSilva wrote:
So many nice tips, thanks guys Very Happy
Apparently Alpe d'Huez is the winner here! For those that recommended it, do you think it's better compared to Courchevel for beginners ?

You are bound to get more people suggesting the resorts that more Brits go to.

I still think Montgenevre and Les Saisies are likely to be better for what you are looking for because these resorts have plenty of easily accessible gentle runs and are off the radar of the big UK tour operators meaning your wife is less likely to be knocked over by someone skiing too fast for their ability.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@snowymum, not so. I've been to plenty of resorts that aren't on the "most popular" list of many British skiers (Are, Hemsedal, La Thuile, Risoul) as well as some of the more popular ones (ADH, LDA, Tignes, Soldeu, Morzine). I just think that ADH has a great set-up for beginners - the green pistes above DMC1800 are long, gentle, wide and there are a few of them. And you get a chair or gondola up, no drag lift. Not so many nice easy blue runs to graduate on to, mind, and that may be the main problem with ADH. Montgenevre looks good from the piste map, though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@AndreSilva, yes, I was there in early December 2019 (mainly Novo Hamburgo area for business) and no, I don't think south Brazil has alot of British tourists. Shame, as it has potential. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be going back this year though Sad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

In France, I'd go to les Saisies for more variety of flat runs. The great thing about les Saisies is even the blues are green

Yes, Les Saisies would be a good choice, as long as you don't want English language group lessons.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowymum wrote:
AndreSilva wrote:
Apparently Alpe d'Huez is the winner here! For those that recommended it, do you think it's better compared to Courchevel for beginners ?

I still think Montgenevre and Les Saisies are likely to be better for what you are looking for because these resorts have plenty of easily accessible gentle runs and are off the radar of the big UK tour operators meaning your wife is less likely to be knocked over by someone skiing too fast for their ability.

The counterpoint being that she's also more likely to end up a a ski school where English is the primary language in a Brit. popular resort, not 5 minutes of miming and chatter in French/German/whatever followed by "Bend your knees. OK, we go!". Also my experience is that all nations, races, creeds and colours are equaly able to ski too fast for their ability.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
OK... so now we have 2 in the final combat: Alpe d'Huez x Les Saisies Twisted Evil

To try to make the decision easier, here are some plans:
- I'm planning to stay 4 nights.
- On the first day I will book a private instructor for her for around 3 or 4 hours, must be in English, Spanish or Portuguese, a female instructor would be best.
- If there are easy blue slopes that she can go once she feels confident after the greens, it's better, the goal is that she can ski many different tracks so she doesn't get bored.
- Ski in / ski out hotel is a plus.
- Worst case scenario would be in the first or second day, she gets completely freaked out, decides she hates skiing in a resort and don't want to do it anymore, in this case I would like to stay in a nice hotel with many other activities beside ski(like a spa resort), don't mind paying a bit more for a nice one.

Does this help in the final decision ? rolling eyes
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For AdH you could look at https://www.sunweb.co.uk/ski/france/alpe-dhuez-grand-domaine-ski/alpe-dhuez/hotel-spa-le-royal-ours-blanc as it's well located (not strictly ski in out but close enough to make not much practical difference) the link is to illustrate as quite a few companies go there so further searching advisable.

Also AdH has a very good outdoor pool about 150 mtrs away for public use.

It's a nice relaxed atmosphere during day and night in the town, a good mix for your requirements. Needs checking, but think you can ride the lifts to peak "pic blanc" ? and back down again to enjoy the fabulous view.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
On the pure green in LS she won't have ANY fast skiers zooming down behind her, and it has it's own nice n slow chairlift, there is no way anyone is going to freak out on that piste.

Even from the top of Mont Bisanne the motorway blue gradient probably doesn't exceed 10 degrees.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
AndreSilva wrote:

- On the first day I will book a private instructor for her for around 3 or 4 hours, must be in English, Spanish or Portuguese, a female instructor would be best.
- If there are easy blue slopes that she can go once she feels confident after the greens, it's better, the goal is that she can ski many different tracks so she doesn't get bored.
- Ski in / ski out hotel is a plus.:

I would do lessons on a dry slope or snow dome if you can this summer / autumn. No point wasting snow time.

Be aware that in France in peak periods you may find it hard to book privates except an hour or two at lunch. It is all hands to the pumps for group lessons.

As for English speaking instructors, Amélie Baptendier speaks English but I'm not sure if she is instructing next winter. Also look at Bérénice Cuvex Combaz and Sarah Braisaz (big sister of Olympian Justine) both get good feedback for privates. All ESF instructors and I would try making contact with them directly rather than through the ESF if you can to make sure you don't get swapped to Monsieur Bonnevie at the last minute. You'll have to book through the ESF but you'll at least be assured of who you are getting.

http://youtube.com/v/PzDM_C-5G2M

There is the ESI in Bisanne (I think).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ski3 wrote:
Needs checking, but think you can ride the lifts to peak "pic blanc" ? and back down again to enjoy the fabulous view.

Yes, you can do that trip as a pedestrian
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidof wrote:
I would do lessons on a dry slope or snow dome if you can this summer / autumn. No point wasting snow time.

She already did twice, once in real snow in Mont Tremblant and one indoor Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@AndreSilva, I can't see any suggestions for Soldeu in Andorra - a nice nursery area and lots of blues that are essentially more like greens in other resorts, she'll be skiing a huge area of the mountain in a day or so. Plus a nice spa hotel in the resort.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
For spotlessly clean, small/zero queues it’s hard to beat Trysil in Norway for greens. Lots of drags though (although this means that it’s less likely to shut because of high winds). Cracking place but I’d recommend going half board as buying food and drink is expensive.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nice to see someone else recommending Trysil.

I forgot to mention that the instruction is very good and no issue with getting English (sorry I am making a presumption that you would behappy with this in lieu of Portugese!)

If you can be bothered self catering the cost overall isnt worse that a big Euro resort. There are plenty of supermarkets in Trysil town (so might pay to get a car) that are no worse that London prices for many things. But bring plenty of Duty Free booze if you like a drink.

But eating out is crazy money.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yep pretty much the rule in Norway. Don’t drink or eat out unless you like large bills. Having said that it’s lovely, scenic and everyone speaks English. The Radisson up on the mountain at Trysil is very good. Try for a bed and breakfast rate at the self catered option. In Geilo the hotels actually give you paper bags so at breakfast you can make your sandwich for lunchtime from the buffet.

snow report
Much as I love Courchevel, for that feeling of safety with no big scarey drops, you really can`t beat Les Saisies.
latest report
AndreSilva wrote:

I tried to introduce her to ski at Les 2 Alps but failed miserably... although they have green slopes there, those green ones are quite narrow with a high drop in case of a fall... and that freaked her out, so I'm looking for a resort with at least 2 or 3 green slopes that are wide, with no edge to a cliff... something easy, in the middle of the mountain that if she fell, she will not have the feeling of falling to the bottom of the mountain Laughing

This is exactly what happened to me and my GF. Les 2 Alpes, she was fine on the lower learner slopes where she had a lesson, but as soon as we went up above the clouds, freaked out and had a little cry!

We've now been skiing 4 times since (Alpe d'Huez, 2 x Valloire, Serre Chevalier), but she is still not a great skier and is still very nervy. However, she absolutely loves Valloire and we'll be looking to go again next year, Covid dependent. Reasonably big ski area (160km - with more than enough green and blue for beginners), not madly busy and a cute little town as opposed to purpose built behemoth. She also likes Alpe d'Huez but prefers the skiing in Valloire. My girlfriend's a teacher, so we're generally confined to the dreaded Feb half term when everything is very busy, so Valloire suits us a bit better as it's generally quieter.

I would probably now class myself as approaching intermediate (I snowboard) and for me, Valloire was basically the first place I tried (and successfully bombed down!) red runs. Personally I thought there were some fantastic reds there. So you should enjoy it, too.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Best green slopes are at Courchevel 1850- end of

Funny I was thinking that. The Looooooooong wide green from the base of the Saulire down to the 1850 lift station is great.

Would add in Cervinia - the Blues are basically Green (hardish greens).
ski holidays
Another vote for Corvara.

I also have a wife who is very nervous on skis. After skiing in various ski resorts over the years, Corvara tops the list so far. Nothing but greens, great scenery and some great mountain restaurants. Happy wife, happy skiing life
ski holidays
Brownfish wrote:
... she was fine on the lower learner slopes where she had a lesson, but as soon as we went up above the clouds, freaked out and had a little cry!

Are we dating the same girl ???? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Never considered Valloire, I saw the map and looks good enough for beginners indeed!
ski holidays
AndreSilva wrote:
Brownfish wrote:
... she was fine on the lower learner slopes where she had a lesson, but as soon as we went up above the clouds, freaked out and had a little cry!

Are we dating the same girl ???? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Never considered Valloire, I saw the map and looks good enough for beginners indeed!

Ha, I didn't think there would be someone else as nervy as she was that day! She'll appreciate the solidarity.

The great thing about Valloire is that a nervous beginner can head to the top of Le Crey du Quart at 2,534m, soak in the gorgeous views, and then ski all the way down to the village at 1,400m via Crocus (blue) > Escargot (green) > Lutins (blue). We would get the last lift up and amble down slowly enough for her to be confident. And I was able to branch off and take a few of the reds that then hook back up with those 3 easier runs. Lutins can get a bit narrow and icy further down, but by the last lift it wasn't too busy.

She also enjoys the Selles (blue, but not really sure why as it's very gentle with no precipitous drops) run from Crey du Quart that connects with Myosotis (green) on the Setaz side of the resort via a beautiful valley.

And it would be remiss of me to not recommend La Maison d'Angeline for a killer tartiflette (especially the vegetarian version with cèpes they make for us!) and café gourmand (who in their right mind is still ordering one dessert when you can have 3 or 4 mini desserts??).
snow report
Grachen wrote:
... Corvara tops the list so far. Nothing but greens, great scenery and some great mountain restaurants. ...

Except of course being Italy you won't see any greens at all on the piste map! So you need someone to tell you which are the easier blues.
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
Austria.

You must mean the Harakiri run in Mayrhofen?! Toofy Grin
snow report
I've been to Courchevel a few times and I must say that it's just great for beginners. It has a lot of great green pistes perfect for beginners.
snow conditions
We have some excellent beginner terrain here in Lenk. It’s also a nice quiet resort so plenty of space for learning without feeling the pressure of crowded slopes.

Let us know if we can help you out. More details on our website if you’re interested.
snow conditions
Sounds to me like you don’t need to find the right resort, you need to find the right private instructor. And stay with her all week. That way she builds each day on the previous.
I have consistently spent money on good teaching; don’t care about the hotel or food quality.
Think about it.

For Portuguese, obviously Spain and Andorra will see the highest likelihood of finding an instructor in that language. I did have a couple of good private instructors at the English school in El Tarter (which I don’t think has the best place to learn, yes Soldeu is better).

I think someone needs to identify the minimum skills and the causes of nerves, to get her up and down the mountain.

Haven’t been to the above finalists but was impressed by Les Gets for calm rolling pastures.
snow conditions
snowymum wrote:
AndreSilva wrote:

I have to disagree with this. In Montgenevre, The long green back to the village, as certain times, was some of the scariest skiing I’ve ever done because there were just so many novices weaving and falling over in what was sometimes quite a narrow stretch with a drop on the side. I dreaded it. It’s a lovely resort - although we came back from there Ill two years running. The weekends it can become overrun with Italians and also if conditions are poor elsewhere, bus after bus arrives in resort as it’s conditions are usually more favourable.

For me it has to be Trysil in Norway. Gorgeous gentle greens
snow conditions
How about a Bad Klein Kirchheim in Austria, south east Austria near the Italian border. It is not so snow sure but has plenty of snowmaking equipment. Nice wide gentle pistes and not that busy, so ideal to build confidence. The town isn’t as pretty as many Austrian resorts though.

Second recommendation would be Katschberg. Again, gentle, wide pistes to be found, although the resort is small and popular with families.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another vote for Alp d Huez, Ive been there last year with my wife and she enjoyed it. Its gets overcrowded sometimes especially on weekends.
As a nice bonus, the beginner area ski pass costs less that normal one.
snow report
Two places comes to mind: Alpe D’huez for lots of green terrain around near the town, and especially Avoriaz for greens IN town. My wife are cautious, but Avoriaz does the trick!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy