Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2020/2021 (Dec 4 to April 25)

Poster: A snowHead
jw83113 wrote:
munich_irish wrote:
@cameronphillips2000, any sort of "party" is off the agenda next season, no loud music or standing. Whether spots like the Moose will even bother opening is open to question, they will only be able to offer seated service whether indoors or outside which is hardly what they are set up for. Basically ski and either quiet meal and drink sitting at a table or eat in your apartment. St Anton not likely to be any more of a risk than anywhere else.

I would have thought the Moose could still make decent money even with a very different offering than in normal years. They have a lot of seating space inside and outside even in the normal configuration, and even more if they use more of the downstairs area which is usually packed with people standing. At lunchtime it's usually fairly popular for eating so maybe the evening time will just be more like a normal lunchtime. They have a small number of staff who work there all year round so they may just hire a smaller number of staff to offer a different style of business. I like it in there at lunchtime, it's quite laid back and you get to know a few of the staff which is handy when you need to get served at busy times. The places that I cannot see how it can work are Pub 37 - it's so small it's impossible to keep distance between people and the Piccadilly which relies on live music and lots of people standing.

The underground is going to be difficult too. People are normally seated quite close and the tables are big, Joan won't be able to just move people onto tables with a load of other people that they don't know which is how things normally work in there.

Pub 37's been open all summer, so can't see winter being much different. No stools at the bar and table service only.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How many people can they fit in there with the distancing regulations ? Even when you could pack people in it didn't hold many !
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hey Folks stop worrying about Local Businesses i.e Moose etc... They are plenty rich enough to close for the the whole season..

Joints like Fanghouse,Underground will suffer bigtime.

@Langerzug, is correct that resorts that rely on flying in Guests will have lower number...

Germans have been advised not to take ANY foreign holidays

Innsbruck is currently off limits for the Dutch flying in and there are many daily winter flights (which may get cancelled) .

@ulmerhutte, mentioned (maybe on another thread) about Vorarlberg Quarantine and Flexenbahn....

Well there is not need to go that far ... Just stopping at the Ulmerhutte and your be in Vorarlberg ..

There are a load of Brits wingin on my other Topic https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=152625

Im not sure why there commenting if most of them do not do or like Après Ski they should all F -Off to France Very Happy Very Happy

The Fact remains Apres Ski will be prohibited the WHOLE season in Austria.

Current information from the ski resort for the winter season 20/21

https://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/archiv/highlights-news/covid19-risk-management-winter-tourism/current-information-from-the-ski-resort-for-the-winter-season-20-21

Current information from the mountain restaurants for the winter season 20/21

https://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/archiv/highlights-news/covid19-risk-management-winter-tourism/current-information-from-the-mountain-restaurants-for-the-winter-season-20-21

Many UK companies have already dropped there room allocations & chalets..

It will be lot quieter so hopefully revert back to a higher quality of Food & ONLY German language Menus Very Happy

I am expecting that Operations will be curtailed or limited during the season (just my opinion)

As for the Taxi... I only take people who pay up front & tip well
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I cannot imagine how ABB will organise lift queues to provide for 1m separation. Think of the loading platforms for the N’Bahn and Galzigbahn; are they going to paint circles on the concrete? Pointless, if then the gondola is full.

Hand sanitiser at lift stations? For what in winter? Most people will be wearing gloves.

Practicality and reality will likely collide with theory!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ulmerhutte, Don't worry, in Austria you are immune whilst wearing a mask, which is compulsory in the lift queue Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@ulmerhutte, it’s a non-starter, wait a season.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lech is expecting a 30% decrease in bookings for coming season.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Markymark29 wrote:

Yeah, my head tells me that, but heart says otherwise. The latter is winning. If there is anyway to get out of Australia and into Austria, we will go and put up with whatever procedures are in place
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Very wintery look this morning

snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Its melting fast in St Anton.. will be all gone by the end of the week temperature above 0C at night... Back to normal for the time of year.

Stuben this morning

snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hey Folks

Its snowing in St Anton ..

For anyone venturing out here against your Government's official "Non Essential" Travel warning make certain you are 100% Covid Free & have Very Very Good insurance...

Being Forced to Quarantine/Curfewed for 14 days or more at your own expense can be VERY VERY Expensive ..

There is plenty of accommodation available for the normally very busy Peak Periods.

https://www.spiegel.de/reise/europa/winterurlaub-in-der-corona-krise-was-urlauber-in-den-wintersportorten-erwartet-a-a1265b3d-d3e6-498c-a6bc-c92a5e9af7fb

FIS World Cup in Zurs next month..

Course Preparations still in progress .. Floodlights being installed ...

Check out over on the German Forum

https://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=991&start=6050#p5285441
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nightingale hospitals up north in the UK now told to spin up think I'll wait to book anything this year but fingers crossed anyways
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ulmerhutte wrote:
Markymark29 wrote:

Yeah, my head tells me that, but heart says otherwise. The latter is winning. If there is anyway to get out of Australia and into Austria, we will go and put up with whatever procedures are in place

We're resigned to no Arlberg trip this year, even if restrictions on travel from USA get dropped. A season to ski our quiet local resorts in the Pacific Northwest. And hope La Nina delivers Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have been told that Brit chalet companies have cancelled their leases on 40 premises in StA. Sure is going to be a different winter.

It remains to be seen what happens then next summer. There are bound to be businesses up for sale that could not service their debt and were not able to negotiate a revised payment plan with their banks.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 14-10-20 11:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ulmerhutte, Agreed it'll be very different, I do believe that the majority of older well established businesses will be OK though, the great majority are traditional family owned, albeit some of the newer places with high gearing may have issues and could be in trouble if non-Austrians aren't allowed to visit. They enjoy the high rentals from foreign visitors on the whole, and this market will likely be much diminished. I wish them all well, advance bookings must be all over the place....it could actually be a great ski season, super quiet and great snow and a leveller at the same time, i'm not a fan of the large apres bars (and the type of groups it has attracted) and this will undoubtedly be a tough winter for those places, I don't want to see any business struggling, and staff out of work but I do believe it had gone too far and spoilt the town vibe and this may be somewhat of a reset for future seasons. I just hope we can make it out, but looking increasingly unlikely.
ski holidays
Vintage season beckons: leisurely morning stroll onto the gondola, gliding through powder snow on deserted slopes, choice of table for lunch at the Rodelalm or Sennhutte or Ulmerhutte, seats aplenty for an apres-ski beer served straightaway to the table, arrive at restaurant for dinner without doing battle with overspill from bars, followed by a quiet evening walk down the main street without having to swerve the usual drunken hordes. Can't wait!
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/Yy9S5N4DeL8

STAY AT HOME
latest report
You could set a good example for all of us and stay home yourself... dickhead.
latest report
Okay, I will if you will or do @Steilhang, @stanton, What do you say to that? Agreed?
ski holidays
Zurs FS WeltCup Nov 13/14 2020

Construction of Course by passed all regulatory permissions Shocked Shocked

Hotels will open for 4 days for 1200 people (Teams)

https://vorarlberg.orf.at/stories/3071332/

Covid

Innsbruck is a HotSpot

Imst is developing into a significant cluster

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/d225672c788d4847b231f1283d63aead/page/page_2/

to the West in Vorarlberg

Cases are increasing in Bludenz

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/ffe90c7ec3f540b1b1d30a4fdef6fd00

STAY AT HOME
snow conditions
@stanton, such a pity about the Arlberg. I'm off skiing in Norway and Canada next year. the EU can thank M. Barnier for my usual £5-6K NOT being spent in EU countries! Saddo.
latest report
Quote:

the EU can thank M. Barnier for my usual £5-6K NOT being spent in EU countries! Saddo

@skimastaaah, Seems harsh given the pathetic negotiating skills demonstrated by our idiots in charge. OTOH - How do you know you’ll be skiing in Norway and Canada........ok for entry?
latest report
@stanton, where are the pylons destined for, Zug?
snow report
@Markymark29, pylons are for lightning racetrack Zürs (yes they are huge)
ski holidays
Hope we dont see permanent night skiing in Zürs.

Plenty of other threads to talk about virus and brexit without adding nonsense here!
snow report
@skimastaaah, you might want to do some research on the general mood -widely shared within the EU - about Brexit and the Britons....
“Please leave already” sums it up quite nicely
snow report
@skimastaaah
@skimastaaah Voss & Tremblant are mickey mouse ski areas compared to the Arlberg. You will need £5-6K a week n Voss ...Last year in Oslo 0.5L of normal beer was 90Kr/€8 anything quality tasting is 130kr/€12 !!

Serious Question: Why do you spend so much £5-6K on a few days winter sport.... it does sound like a ridiculous amount or is that for the whole Season (50-100day+) ?

I very much doubt Norway or Canada will be open to to outsiders this season without full PCR testing & Quarantine procedures.
To avoid a repeat of last year I think Austria will need to restrict entry with the way European Countries are now rapidly heading with the contagion (much faster this time) Shocked Shocked

Covid Update

2 positive cases now in Pettneu

Today, Austria is reporting a record daily number of coronavirus infections. It said today there have been 1,747 coronavirus
infections in the past 24 hours.

The daily count has this month repeatedly exceeded the peak of 1,050 reached in March during the first wave of infections.

Doppelpmayr (Layoff's despite record year)

Das vergangene Geschäftsjahr verlief für die Doppelmayr-Gruppe mit einem Umsatz von 872 Millionen Euro
noch sehr erfolgreich. Aufgrund der Coronavirus-Pandemie komme es heuer jedoch zu einem branchenweiten
Umsatzeinbruch von gut einem Drittel, das auch den Wolfurter Seilbahnhersteller zu Maßnahmen zwinge,
sagt der geschäftsführende Direktor der Doppelmayr Holding SE, Thomas Pichler.

""""The past financial year was still very successful for the Doppelmayr Group with sales of EUR 872 million. However,
due to the Coronavirus pandemic, there is an industry-wide drop in sales of just over a third this year,
which is also forcing the Wolfurter cable car manufacturer to take action, says Thomas Pichler,
Managing Director of Doppelmayr Holding SE."""""

https://vorarlberg.orf.at/stories/3071488/@skimastaaah,

STAY AT HOME
snow conditions
Fabulous information about the area. Are many British citizens going out/coming over to work this winter, and any idea how to reach them for assistance about residency issues?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
brexittoexbritAT wrote:
Fabulous information about the area. Are many British citizens going out/coming over to work this winter, and any idea how to reach them for assistance about residency issues?

Plenty of Facebook groups for seasonal folk in St Anton, some of which already have links posted up to the UK in Austria groups and the newly released website. Plus I know there have been discussions amongst people in resort about where they stand/what they need to do.
snow report
Sunday. 18/10

Bundeskanzler Sebastian Kurz

he says...

The Situation is serious in Austria Shocked

Lockdown 2 its up to the people of Austria i.e it is NOT ruled out. Shocked

http://youtube.com/v/wWeQQOz-Odc

@brexittoexbritAT, 99.9% of businesses are insisting on EU Passport Holders only so unless Brits have a dual Nationality or a Employer sponsor for a Schengen Work Visa I am afraid there will not be many .........except Brits who already have secured Austrian residency and therefore rights to work or changed their nationality like you. You made Great Choice Very Happy
ski holidays
Salient points from the above video
There are 2500 Intensive beds in Austria, 1000 of them are reserved for corona patients. 12% of the thousand beds (120) are currently being used.
1000 to 1500 new corona infections being reported each day. 3 weeks ago the figures were only around 500 to 750 (i.e. doubled in 3 weeks)
By Dec it could rise to 6000/day and if so this could result in another lockdown.
The Austrian public should adhere to the Corona guidelines and help flatten the curve to avoid another lockdown.
Kurz estimates that by summer 2021 there should be a Covid vaccination so life will most likely not return to somewhere near normal until after the upcoming ski season.
snow conditions
Sitter wrote:
brexittoexbritAT wrote:

Plenty of Facebook groups for seasonal folk in St Anton, some of which already have links posted up to the UK in Austria groups and the newly released website. Plus I know there have been discussions amongst people in resort about where they stand/what they need to do.

Thanks for the info about this - will look for some of those groups. We are happy to collect questions for the authorities, if people want to drop us mails to seasonalworkers [at] britishinaustria [dot] net - we'll try to get the answers they are seeking.
snow conditions
stanton wrote:

@brexittoexbritAT, 99.9% of businesses are insisting on EU Passport Holders only so unless Brits have a dual Nationality or a Employer sponsor for a Schengen Work Visa I am afraid there will not be many .........except Brits who already have secured Austrian residency and therefore rights to work or changed their nationality like you. You made Great Choice Very Happy

Not the first resort I have heard of insisting on an EU passport - I got a mail from one guy told that they would employ him until year-end, if he was interesting - but apparently on a pittance. Also fearing what a Corona winter will mean for many smaller resorts.
snow conditions
stanton wrote:

.... 99.9% of businesses are insisting on EU Passport ......

Not entirely true as nothing has been decided regarding uk passport holders for this season, but due to this they are being avoided if not known already, in conjunction with many businesses are starting with many less staff.
latest report
St. Anton celebrates a couple of anniversaries this winter - 120 years for Ski-Club Arlberg and 100 years for the ski school. Shame it will be under a Covid cloud.
ski holidays
@hsdee

I'm sorry to have to break this to you or maybe you haven't understood Brexit?

The UK has left the EU.. The right to freedom of movement (live and work in the EU) will end
on December 31st 2020 for ALL UK citizens except as I already mentioned but here it is again ..

""""""unless Brits have a dual Nationality or an Employer sponsors for a Schengen Work Visa
I am afraid there will not be many .........except Brits who already have secured Austrian residency"""""

I should adda word of caution ... illegal workers EU Employers hiring illegals workers can face potentially huge fines....
last time I checked..

Fines (Austria/Germany):

illegal worker up to €5000 & deported
employer up to €500000

This will also have a big impact on Australian/South African/Kiwis/Canadians ability to work legally (who have
UK Dual Passports) .. Many other South African have dual Passports (Dutch) so they will be OK.

There are some special seasonal exceptions (exchange) arrangement between Austria and the nations above for Jobs
Like Ski Instructors...

Current Covid19 Situation ----Innsbruck (VERY HIGH RISK) -- St Anton (HIGH RISK)

https://corona-ampel.gv.at/

Pettneu am arlberg 5 positives (up from 3)

Germans have been asked to stay at home and not travel (even between National City's) outside Germany

Folks this is the situation in Germany left 20/10; right: 13/10...

The situation in Austria is going the wrong way, Lockdown in November is VERY likely

https://www.derstandard.at/story/2000121042421/lockdown-zur-rettung-der-wintersaison-hotelier-spaltet-das-land

https://corona-ampel.gv.at/

Pettneu am arlber 5 positives (up from 3)

Do NOT be surprised if the Season is Closed Down before it even gets started .

STAY AT HOME

On a SNOW note ....Austrian meteo experts are expecting this to an El Niño season (Storms of the Century) Very Happy
snow report
@stanton, I was under the impression that this was a thread about news from the Arlberg ski area. Plenty of other threads to discuss dull subjects.
ski holidays
munich_irish wrote:
Plenty of other threads to be discussed by dull subjects.

FIFY
snow report
stanton wrote:
@hsdee

I'm sorry to have to break this to you or maybe you haven't understood Brexit?

I often wondered why some people in this thread were rude to you, but when you reply like this i am hardly surprised.

I've been in Anton all summer, spoken to many employers, word on the street is if a uk person has a contract before Christmas it will be honoured this winter, however Landeck have neither confirmed nor denied this as they don't know either. However due to Corona, Brexit etc there are a lot less jobs currently available.

Perhaps you can politely reference your source of information.
snow conditions
Quote:

Do NOT be surprised if the Season is Closed Down before it even gets started .

STAY AT HOME

On a SNOW note ....Austrian meteo experts are expecting this to an El Niño season (Storms of the Century)

@hsdee,
Quote:

I often wondered why some people in this thread were rude to you, but when you reply like this i am hardly surprised.

Narcissism witnessed over many years......he likes to wind up the audience, dislikes British people and gloats in their face.....final statement about El Nino sums it up perfectly, he's hoping its going to be a fabulous winter and that no British people are there in order to satisfy own smugness, even though he's probably been little to St Anton, and drives a taxi in Zurich for a living, trolling makes him happy. Strange. rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy