Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski touring for wallies

Poster: A snowHead
Back to touring this weekend and some characteristic wally antics…

First stop the popular Mont Rogneux, across the valley from Verbier above Bruson. An 1800m climb from the Cabane Brunet access parking above Lourtier with the Cabane at 2100m a perfect mid tour coffee spot

Alas one of the brakes wouldn’t lock on the Crest 8 and no zip ties, ski strap or screwdriver in the pack rolling eyes
After a few metres of irritating touring with brake down remembered the duct tape on my pole and was able to tape them up (breaking the plastic in the process Embarassed )

Anyway, enjoyed the tour up listening to the last couple Ski podcasts, and the cracking Alpine views to Mont Velan and the Chamonix massif

Managed to average out around 500m/h despite some sketchy kick turns on the scalped, steep last face

So fitness not looking too bad

Hmmm it seems my good wife has adjusted the bindings on my precious touring skis for her « big foot » brother so the ATK’s are looking rather roomy for the descent…

Best take it a bit carefully on the spicier than requested chalk in one of the North side couloirs

With that out the way traversed into some nice untracked old pow for a few turns back down in the vague direction of the hut

http://youtube.com/v/uUUfSH3ajiE

And views across to Verbier and the fast melting sunny side Savoleyres pistes

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 20-02-23 10:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Back down the mountain on Saturday afternoon for a trip with the Magic Pass boys on Sunday. Destination Haute Corde at 2300m above Gryon

Nice and crunchy given the early start. Magic passers are used to ice wink

But very scenic 3 hour climb to the summit. Nice to visit a new area

And a beautiful pair of Ptarmigans? too

http://youtube.com/v/r0zdfxOFA5s

One of my dozy mates led half the group to the wrong peak rolling eyes

Pretty bumpy ride down until we got round to the South facing transforming slopes. I managed to ski into a hole and double eject down the hill! Said mate collects my ski only then to launch it down at me. Of course it goes flying past Shocked Fortunately dug itself in a few metres below to much relief

A bit of Spring skiing (let’s just ignore that it’s mid Feb!)

http://youtube.com/v/pDRvwOWp6h4

The missus had spotted an avalanche on the other side of the valley while we were climbing. And oh boy it was a big one coming right across the path.

Very early in the day too. Be careful out there!

http://youtube.com/v/L5xYZ7b0zgk

Some nice slushy path skiing down

And then the reward!

And some cracking crepes at the Chalet

Where next?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@BobinCH,

Thanks for sharing a truly honest trip report. Duct tape saves the day again. Very Happy

PS are there any touring bindings you haven’t broken yet?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DB wrote:
@BobinCH,

Thanks for sharing a truly honest trip report. Duct tape saves the day again. Very Happy

No comment…

I love all the ATK bindings I’ve used but apparently there is an issue with the brakes on the (old?) Crest models bending stopping them from locking. Apparently they may have changed the design - @Soyderjon will probably know. Changed them on the missus Crest 10’s last week telling her to be more careful handling them and ironically same problem on these Crest 8’s… Shop fixed this one in 5 mins for 25chf so can’t complain.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not strictly ski touring and not a wally but I love this about Switzerland. Little, old lady smashing out a ferocious pace on Nordic skis on a Sunday afternoon. Bravo

http://youtube.com/v/SCQKwYtX2hg
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
anyone tried the Scott Proguide 96 at all? 1.4kg lighter than my R.98s but the R98s have been pretty decent all round inc hooning around on piste, not sure if such a light ski wouldn't be as good on hardpack?

https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/product/scott-proguide-96-ski
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BobinCH wrote:
DB wrote:
@BobinCH,

No comment…

I love all the ATK bindings I’ve used but apparently there is an issue with the brakes on the (old?) Crest models bending stopping them from locking. Apparently they may have changed the design - @Soyderjon will probably know. Changed them on the missus Crest 10’s last week telling her to be more careful handling them and ironically same problem on these Crest 8’s… Shop fixed this one in 5 mins for 25chf so can’t complain.

To be honest I think I've broken every touring binding I've used (Fritschi freerides exploded, dynafit heel pins broke).
Not broke my new ATK's yet though - main reason is because I ain't done no touring this season yet. Embarassed
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
for a moment i thought Wallies = people in Wales....and that these mountains are in Wales...and i thought "Be Nice please!, i shouldnt go away from Wales" Laughing Laughing

PS
Sorry i dont want to offend someone (i love Wales.... spend there two of the best years of my life)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
turms2 wrote:

Sorry i dont want to offend someone (i love Wales.... spend there two of the best years of my life)

you must enjoy rain then Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
swskier wrote:
turms2 wrote:

you must enjoy rain then Laughing Laughing

yeap...after snow the rain....i hate the sun + summer (except when we have 100 cm fresh snow)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski wrote:
anyone tried the Scott Proguide 96 at all? 1.4kg lighter than my R.98s but the R98s have been pretty decent all round inc hooning around on piste, not sure if such a light ski wouldn't be as good on hardpack?

https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/product/scott-proguide-96-ski

10th place out of 13 in this German test.

https://www.schneehoehen.at/skitest/tourenski/tourenski-herren-bis-97mm
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What do wallies use for hydration? Collapsable bottles, bladder or???
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@kitenski,
Quote:

What do wallies use for hydration? Collapsable bottles, bladder or??

Lexan bottles probably best...

Alu Sigg bottles used to be the rage, but hut staff not too keen if they're putting hot water in them as they have a small spout and are hot to hold if uninsulated.

Bladders are great for drinking whilst skinning, but do have a tendency to freeze up if you're not careful... Use an insulated tube, and remember to blow the water back when you've supped so the mouthpiece doesn't freeze.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski wrote:

Collapsible bottle FTW - I use a platypus that I've had for a good few years and still going strong. I had an old alu Sigg bottle before that but the platypus packs better. I used bladders years ago but (1) they ALWAYS froze and (2) the seal between bag and tube ALWAYS failed. Fine on the bike in temperate conditions, poo-poo for winter.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski wrote:

Good question and not yet got this right. I have Scott alpride pack which does not support a bladder and hose, and I can’t see how it can be adapted as to not potentially obstruct the airbag mechanism. I had opted fo a soft 500ml Hydrapack soft flask which I attached to the shoulder strap using a small carabiner but it would annoyingly swing around.

Current solution is to carry the soft flask in jacket pocket or in pack. It’s a hassle when in pack as I have to take off leg strap etc just to get a drink.

I now plan to try a dynafit insulated water bottle holder which attaches to the front of shoulder strap and takes a normal sports bottle. This looks like a neat solution and seems popular with tourers. Does anyone have experience with this?

snow report
Ozboy wrote:

I now plan to try a dynafit insulated water bottle holder which attaches to the front of shoulder strap and takes a normal sports bottle. This looks like a neat solution and seems popular with tourers. Does anyone have experience with this?

I have one on my light dynafit touring pack. Love the pack but not the bottle as it sits in your eyeline and is heavy enough to notice. Took mine off and stick water in bag. Unless you’re racing and trying to shave off a few seconds, or your bag is full it‘s not worth the “discomfort” IMO.
snow conditions
Sharkymark wrote:
kitenski wrote:

Collapsible bottle FTW - I use a platypus that I've had for a good few years and still going strong. I had an old alu Sigg bottle before that but the platypus packs better. I used bladders years ago but (1) they ALWAYS froze and (2) the seal between bag and tube ALWAYS failed. Fine on the bike in temperate conditions, poo-poo for winter.

This is my experience too. Generally stuff the drinking tube down my sweaty back when it freezes to get the water flowing again.
ski holidays
I use a bladder as my primary water source (using blow back technique), and a back up bottle for when I get a temporary freeze. I’ve never had a bladder fail, but I use camelbacks which are pretty sturdy, and the later versions have an internal baffle which prevents the bag collapsing

I much prefer regular and often for hydration, rather than all at once. That said, we all have different requirements, and for example I’ve been out touring and probably got through 2ltrs during the day, whereas my guide apparently survived on 2 mouthfuls of water.
snow conditions
I’m definitely more like your guide! Very rarely go through more than a litre of water in a day of touring. Having said that, most of mine is done at low altitude but high latitude. I drink more when high up.
snow report
Have a scott airbag too (which isn't set up for a hydration pack) so bought one of these.

https://www.mammut.com/at/de/products/2530-00100/add-on-bottle-holder

It has velcro straps and a loop at the top (which I attach to the backback with a small carabiner). Only used it a couple of times but don't remember it getting in the way or causing any problems. It needs to be low enough not to obscure vision but high enough not to get in the way of your arm movements. For longer tours I need to carry a larger bottle in the backpack to refill it, so the overall weight is higher though.
ski holidays
Looks like you could also secure it to the hip belt though - would be out of the way there. Scott used to do a bottle holder that clipped into a plastic fitting on the hip belt of the first airbags they did. I never managed to get hold of one…
latest report
Suspect a belt mounted bottle would get in the way. At the front it could dig into the top of the thigh/belly. At the side it could get in the way of the arm swing.
snow report
yea the reason for the question is I'm moving to a Scott electric airbag so wondering about carrying stuff!
snow report
kitenski wrote:
yea the reason for the question is I'm moving to a Scott electric airbag so wondering about carrying stuff!

The electric Scott bag I have doesn't have a loop or velcro attachment to attach a water bladder to so it falls to the bottom of the bag.
Haven't used my Scott bag on a long tour yet with a bladder, but have a long ski touring weekend planned soon.
You might want to consider

a) just buying the electric system and using another backpack (I think you can transfer the airbag system).

b) using something like this https://www.giraffebottle.com/504991-Giraffe-Bottle-Journey although amazon reviews on this sort of product often say they are not water-tight.
ski holidays
@DB, thx, my bladder is pretty rigid, it seems to stay upright on various long day out walks I've done without connecting to a loop or velcro,

If it stays upright, then I'm assuming I can just pass the hose through the zip (Assuming it's a 2 way zip??), which would only be an issue in a blizzard/rain
snow conditions
DB wrote:
kitenski wrote:

The electric Scott bag I have doesn't have a loop or velcro attachment to attach a water bladder to so it falls to the bottom of the bag.
Haven't used my Scott bag on a long tour yet with a bladder, but have a long ski touring weekend planned soon.
You might want to consider

a) just buying the electric system and using another backpack (I think you can transfer the airbag system).

b) using something like this https://www.giraffebottle.com/504991-Giraffe-Bottle-Journey

Another water bladder issue with the Scott is the opening of the main bag compartment which is behind the airbag and as such the hose needs to go over the top of the airbag opening to reach the shoulder strap. How are you routing the hose with the Giraffe?

I am also a little-but-often hydrator which stems from cycling.
latest report
@Ozboy, hmm cheers! Is it possible to route a tube through the route the unused side of the pull handle uses? I understand the trigger handle can be moved from the left to the right hand side so potential to route the hose that way?? Not got the bag yet so can't check!
snow report
Ozboy wrote:
Another water bladder issue with the Scott is the opening of the main bag compartment which is behind the airbag and as such the hose needs to go over the top of the airbag opening to reach the shoulder strap. How are you routing the hose with the Giraffe?

I am also a little-but-often hydrator which stems from cycling.

Yes a valid point. Not used it with a bladder yet, but yes the tube could cause problems although I'd run the tube out to the side (rather than directly over the top of the airbag zip) and would expect the force of the airbag would rip the tube out of the way.

There's no fixed hole for the hydration tube. The backpack pockets do have two zips so you can feed the tube out between them, but the zips can be moved by the tube and can cause the pocket to open. A small caribiner/device could be used to keep the zips together though (although they may still move).

I often ski-tour for over 6 hours at a time, sometimes at higher altitudes (Swiss & Italian 4000ers) - my max was around 18 hours. A small water bottle just won't cut it.
Putting some salt in the water means I retain the water rather than having to pee every 20 mins.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 3-03-23 12:10; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski wrote:
@Ozboy, hmm cheers! Is it possible to route a tube through the route the unused side of the pull handle uses? I understand the trigger handle can be moved from the left to the right hand side so potential to route the hose that way?? Not got the bag yet so can't check!

I don't think its possible, but I cant remember exactly why as it was a while ago when I tried it. I will look again when I am back in France next week. In any case it's an excellent bag and don't let that put you off as I am sure there is a viable workaround. I just keep a soft Hydrapak filled to 300ml in my jacket pocket on a downhill day.
snow report
Just looked at it. You could use a small caribiner to keep the zips together and in place by hooking it into the ice axe velcro holder. It would come out of the rucksack and to the side at approx. the same level as the underside of the airbag zip, so shouldn't be a problem.
snow report
I now use these, really easy and no bladder faff* and bizarrely doesn't seem to freeze up in my cycling bottle.

I carry another bottle in my pack, and yes when it starts to get warmer and if it's going to be a big day, then I might revert back to the bladder.

Off Amazon.co.uk

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HV2IUPM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=amz07b-21

And this morning in action, probably best day of the season?

Went up to the ridge (Italian Frontier) left of the picture above the forest and skied a line down where in the picture it's in the shade (15+ cold powder), long approach though.
snow report
Thanks @Weatercam - I will try it. Its coming up for me at £41 from Amazon but found one at facewest £15. I'll pair it up with a camelback insulated bottle.

That route looks amazing and well worth the trek.
snow conditions
Just had 3 nights up at Lämmerenhütte, fabulous base to tour from. The hut is at 2501m the options are Wildstrubel (vast) Steghorn, Daubenhorn, Schwarzhorn, Rote Totz gives access to a long ski to Kandersteg.
Snow was remarkably good, the small dusting we had last Sunday evening helped immeasurably.
Well worth a visit, main access up the cable car at Leukerbad then 90mins skin to the hut.
snow conditions
@Ozboy, was probably one of the better days of the season, and they're have not been too many this season.

http://youtube.com/v/hHxcEtr_AWM
snow conditions
Ozboy wrote:
Thanks @Weatercam - I will try it. Its coming up for me at £41 from Amazon but found one at facewest £15. I'll pair it up with a camelback insulated bottle.

I've just got one too - was the only real thing that bothered me with the Osprey avi bag last week was not being able to take sips of water when touring up with my pack still on.
latest report
Weathercam wrote:
@Ozboy, was probably one of the better days of the season, and they're have not been too many this season.

http://youtube.com/v/hHxcEtr_AWM

What a great day out!! How many vertical meters did you ski up and down?
latest report
@Ozboy, was only around 700m but was a long approach, though we did break a few rules to shorten that, which begs the question how much would you pay for a day like that?

https://stylealtitude.com/best-day-of-the-season-blog.html
latest report
@Weathercam, I would have happily paid the €150 fine and carried your pack if I was in your party!
ski holidays
@BobinCH, you would have been so proud of @KenX, today, I'll leave it to him to fill in the detail Toofy Grin

But we had just done some very sweet slack-country.

http://youtube.com/v/hf15kPLQmUM

And I had suggested maybe going on a bit further, but we decided to transition, and we went from this, note helmet on pole....

to this Laughing

snow report
Yes, a momentary lack of concentration, some strong rays of sunshine and the snow round my pole melted, toppling the helmet down the slope around 200m of vert, all the way down to the torrent at the bottom!
Several rounds of expletives later I set off after it, hoping that one of the many rocks on the way had arrested its fall......
No, finally spotted it bobbing in a rock pool in the torrent, extended my pole to max length and fished it out!
The goggle lens was toast, but helmet and frame just very soggy!
Luckily we were now skinning back up to where we dropped in so the liner had time to dry on the ascent!
Lesson learnt Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy