Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2019/20 (Useful Links Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
@GeorgeVII, yes, they had all asked for credits. I asked for a refund and got it 2 and a half months ago direct to Banque Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Still waiting for a refund. I applied around the same date that you did. Nothing spoiling and I think there are still plenty in the same boat.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@GeorgeVII, it's not what you know.... Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Finally received an e-mail saying the refund will be in my bank soon even though I asked for it to be put in my Tignes account for use next season.
Is there any word about arrangements for next year yet? Are they hoping to run as normal I wonder? Not sure how bars, restaurants are going to work. Afraid the Jam Bar, for instance, might prove impossible to re-open.
Keep safe.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, I do worry for Jam Bar especially - probably my favourite place and Rocco & Delphine are always so welcoming.

Some encouraging info for you @Mark1863: STGM have published lift pass prices for the 20/21 season. Looks like they will include autumn with the main season pass again like last winter, which is great. If I am reading the various PDFs correctly, €1069.50 if you buy your season pass before 27th Nov; €1141 if you let it slip but get in there before 18th Dec and €1426 thereafter.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PS - you can't actually buy any autumn / winter passes yet - you will have to wait until the beginning of October (when hopefully @chocksaway will remind us all!).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Jam is my fave too. Bit of an atmosphere even with half a dozen in. Pondering on a week with Snoworks in Cervinia as a pre-season warm-up and then travel to Tignes from there for first weekend of the winter season. 4 months and a few days!
PS They have credited my account with E259
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've shied away from kicking off week one with training or instruction. Last autumn I spent the first week that I was out free-skiing, mostly solo. Spent the first three days basically falling over. A lot. Didn't need a trainer to tell me I keep falling over - the whole 'intrinsic feedback' thing worked just fine! The winter before I got a bit frustrated spending the first week being picked apart on stuff that basically amounted of simply finding my feet again.

Also slightly wary of Cervinia early season. The skiing can be great, but, you have to be able to get to it and often that's on the Zermatt (glacier) side - which any high wind stops access to. I know Tignes gets closed too that time of year but my experience has been that it happens a bit less often - and it needs to be pretty foul to stop the funi and the Vanoise chair.

Great news on the credit - you've been astonishingly patient. Indeed, four months to go - but I don't want to wish away the summer...!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
chocksaway wrote:
@GeorgeVII, yes, they had all asked for credits. I asked for a refund and got it 2 and a half months ago direct to Banque Very Happy

Credit appeared on my STGM account on Thursday. There was no notification, I just did a random check this morning. It's sitting there waiting to be deducted from next year's passes so that's something to look forward to!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads

Beautiful morning ski with very few folk about and only a few lanes of gates - felt like we had the place to ourselves. No queues, no overcrowding, empty funi down. Typical boilerplate to start after a good refreeze last night, then gradual softening but only sticky on last pitch to Vanoise. Sea of cloud below disappeared by 10. A good morning in the mountains (and a cracking lunch at JamBar to round it off). Sore from MTB so will take tomorrow off, hoping for another sunny start to Monday.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Grinning,
Jam Bar is open! Good news if a little surprising! Are they just serving outside?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mark1863 wrote:
@Grinning,
Jam Bar is open! Good news if a little surprising! Are they just serving outside?

Jam bar has been open throughout lock down for takeaway on restricted hours.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mark1863 wrote:
@Grinning,

Open for dining inside and out. Think 10 people max I side but no standing by bar hence tables outside also
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stewart woodward wrote:
Mark1863 wrote:
@Grinning,

Jam bar has been open throughout lock down for takeaway on restricted hours.

Good for them!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We are back in Val d’Isere and everything feels very normal, apart from the mask dance and hand sanitiser at every doorway.
We had a great walk up through the Gorges du Malpasset from Pont st Charles today to the new refurbished Refuge Prariond.

latest report
Well, after another exchange of emails with the STGM I've been told that I will be in receipt of a Season Pass pro-rata refund within 15 days....... Watch this space.....
ski holidays
Applied for refund Tuesday (now with pass numbers) and refund sorted this morning ;o)
snow report
Refunded to the original card on the 27th. (they had asked for bank details then didn't use them rolling eyes ).
snow report
Well, I have started proper training for the season. On the spin bike watching the Tour de France on the TV. The triumph of hope.....
snow conditions
@Mark1863,

Are you expecting to cycle up the mountain rather than taking a lift Puzzled
latest report
No. But do find it is good for leg strength and stamina. Hope we get a season to justify the boredom of training!!
snow report
What are they doing at the Refuge / Escale Blanche?

Big crane and a lot of portacabins, presume the hotel is being gutted out?
snow report
@GreenDay, They are turningtthe basement of the Refuge/EB into a Sports Shop I believe.

They have also knocked down the little white Chalet Du Lavachey between it and the Gentiana. Not seen the plans for that plot, so I don't know how much view I will lose!
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
@GreenDay, They are turningtthe basement of the Refuge/EB into a Sports Shop I believe.

They have also knocked down the little white Chalet Du Lavachey between it and the Gentiana. Not seen the plans for that plot, so I don't know how much view I will lose!

Bit of a shame that, presumably currently you could look right across and up Palafour etc.............which will be a bit nicer than some tourist scratching their balls of a morning !!
latest report
@GreenDay, Spot on. Though we have had some interesting, ahem, shows from the Gentiana. One set of guests nicknamed it the Genetalia, after one particularly shameless lady rolling on her stockings in the window Shocked
ski holidays
Perhaps this should be in the upcoming 'Tignes 20/21 (will it/won't it) season' thread, but according to
en.tignes.net/skiing/winter-ski-area
Tignes is to open until 7th May, 5 days after Val D'Isere shuts. Not quite the 'stolen week' of days of yore, but Very Happy
latest report
Not clear if international travel is allowed under new restrictions as yet. Seems a certain age group all around Europe has been responsible for making a season less likely. Evil or Very Mad
If Tignes is open I will be there even if I have to isolate on return!! Probably a good excuse to stay for a long time.
ski holidays
One way to get up the slopes if the lifts are shut..

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Val d’Isere have published guidelines for the coming winter season

https://www.valdisere.com/en/healthcare-protocole/
snow conditions
Protocol about what I expected. If I can ski I will be out early where the emptiness will aid making it more normal than it will be at High Season. Pretty much going to ditch Christmas, Feb etc
ski holidays
muppet wrote:
Val d’Isere have published guidelines for the coming winter season

https://www.valdisere.com/en/healthcare-protocole/

As expected but the only thing I see a little challenging is masks in queues. Huge gloves on, snowing heavy that won't be easy, will neck warmers pulled up over face be enough?
latest report
I expect Tignes will pretty much copy & paste these protocols. The requirement for "Sitting only service" must surely reduce the capacity of many venues.

Those with outside seating areas with some form of heating will be popular.
snow report
GeorgeVII wrote:

I believe France has banned outside heaters Puzzled
snow report
@stewart woodward, Now that you mention that I've a vague recollection of reading about it somewhere.
snow conditions
GeorgeVII wrote:
@stewart woodward, Now that you mention that I've a vague recollection of reading about it somewhere.

France to ban heated terraces in cafes and bars
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53552526
ski holidays
stewart woodward wrote:
GeorgeVII wrote:

I believe France has banned outside heaters Puzzled

not until next year. conscious decision because of Covid and the need to be able to use the outdoor space
snow report
@holidayloverxx, Don't tell Greta!
ski holidays
Deconstruction of Marais lift has started: https://www.facebook.com/SNSomerm/posts/3169890273107251
ski holidays
Skiwi222 wrote:
Deconstruction of Marais lift has started: https://www.facebook.com/SNSomerm/posts/3169890273107251

Is that the super old lift that runs up to the Eye of the Needle? The one with the warning that it is a long slow lift tht you should avoid on really cold and windy days?
latest report
FrediKanoute wrote:
Is that the super old lift that runs up to the Eye of the Needle? The one with the warning that it is a long slow lift tht you should avoid on really cold and windy days?

Yes, I believe so. Still: it did take away a bit of the pressure on the Aiguille Rouge chair on crowded days.

And it doesn't look like a replacement is getting built this year, so probably best to avoid Les Boisses and Les Brevières on busy days the coming season...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy