Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland Snow Reports 2019 / 2020

Poster: A snowHead
^^^^ and Cairngorm (the area that has historically had most skier-days) had working uplift from the bottom of the mountain - not a disastrous, white elephant of a broken funicular that has completely prevented access to perfectly skiable snow over the last two winters....Confused
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nevis reopened Tues.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very, very tentative chance that Coe might be able to offer something useable mid this week onwards. Reasonable weather forecast if they get enough snow, and can move it as needed, before then. Fingers firmly crossed Smile
Doesn't look like anything anywhere else as of yet.

EDIT - as of Tuesday dusk they're hoping to have plateau, mid and main basin open tomorrow (Wednesday) onwards. Marginal, but useable if you can carpe the wotsit.
Forecast for Weds and Thurs looks good, then winds look like they might get well up again and "whiteout" on Saturday per Winterhighland site. Can't blinking win Sad
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whitegold wrote:
You cannot ignore the facts.

Scotland once got ~600k skier days a season.

Now, it struggles to get 50-100k, due to lack of snow.

Yet more rain is forecast this week.

In the peak of coldest winter.

Some of the past skier day figures are a total fairytale, they included stupid numbers of days for season pass holders for a start.

That said even though the numbers were inflated, the true numbers were still totally unsustainable. Things came to a head in 88/89 through 91/92 - over demand and 3 years out of four truly awful seasons, when there was snow the numbers were absurd.

With the situation on CairnGorm, there isn’t the capacity now to get the numbers they used to get, even the 100k plus seasons in the early 2010s are a pipe dream because then people were prepared to cut them some slack on the basis that big skier days would see investment. Instead they spent money chopping up ski lifts and the market share plummeted in response, particularly after the Ciste Chairs were felled.

So while the current run of seasons has some striking similarities to 88/89 through 91/92 played backwards, 2018 was a notably better season than 1991.

Indeed before people cast too much gloom and doom, Glencoe recorded it’s best ever skier day figure in 2018. The biggest snow year since at least 1994 and some say in living memory was 2014, it was the mildest winter of the past decade. The climate battle zone that we occupy makes the consequences of a changing climate complicated and unpredictable, average temperature alone tells you nothing about winter in Highland Scotland!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@haggishunter +1, excellent post.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Glencoe looking pretty decent today!

ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For 2018/19 CairnGorm had 4515 skier days, which rounds out to an 8% market share. Glencoe had 9030, the total for all 5 is 54,481 - a fraction above 16/17, but had everything else been equal it probably should have been above a 70k season with at least another 20k on CairnGorm.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
haggishunter wrote:
Things came to a head in 88/89 through 91/92 - over demand and 3 years out of four truly awful seasons, when there was snow the numbers were absurd.

Until I read this I didn't realise how lucky I was then when I lived in Glasgow during the 90/91 season and had fantastic snow all season - in fact that was where I popped my cherry of learning the sport that we love. I was up at Nevis Range almost every weekend from mid-Jan to mid-May unless the winds had closed the lifts.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
haggishunter wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
You cannot ignore the facts.

Scotland once got ~600k skier days a season.

Now, it struggles to get 50-100k, due to lack of snow.

Yet more rain is forecast this week.

In the peak of coldest winter.

Some of the past skier day figures are a total fairytale, they included stupid numbers of days for season pass holders for a start.

That said even though the numbers were inflated, the true numbers were still totally unsustainable. Things came to a head in 88/89 through 91/92 - over demand and 3 years out of four truly awful seasons, when there was snow the numbers were absurd.

With the situation on CairnGorm, there isn’t the capacity now to get the numbers they used to get, even the 100k plus seasons in the early 2010s are a pipe dream because then people were prepared to cut them some slack on the basis that big skier days would see investment. Instead they spent money chopping up ski lifts and the market share plummeted in response, particularly after the Ciste Chairs were felled.

So while the current run of seasons has some striking similarities to 88/89 through 91/92 played backwards, 2018 was a notably better season than 1991.

Indeed before people cast too much gloom and doom, Glencoe recorded it’s best ever skier day figure in 2018. The biggest snow year since at least 1994 and some say in living memory was 2014, it was the mildest winter of the past decade. The climate battle zone that we occupy makes the consequences of a changing climate complicated and unpredictable, average temperature alone tells you nothing about winter in Highland Scotland!

The Scotland snow season has shrunk by ~30 days in the past ~50 years.

However you slice the numbers, the general trend is down.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whitegold wrote:

Any data to back up that assertion? The October to June seasons of yore is beyond rose tinted goggles - yes there have been seasons that begun in October and yes there’s been seasons with mechanised uplift into even late June. But it’s just hogwash to say that both of these used to occur regularly in the same season, indeed October lift served snowsports has tended to either follow poor seasons (Mid October and early November 92 was the best period of the year on CairnGorm) or more be a precursor of doom such as 2002/03!

It’s the nature of our maritime climate, that back loaded winters with cold snowy springs are fairly common. I believe the average opening date of Glencoe since 1955/56 is 18th Jan and it didn’t open till mid Feb in year 1. The trend recently has actually been to earlier starts.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
haggishunter wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

Any data to back up that assertion? The October to June seasons of yore is beyond rose tinted goggles - yes there have been seasons that begun in October and yes there’s been seasons with mechanised uplift into even late June. But it’s just hogwash to say that both of these used to occur regularly in the same season, indeed October lift served snowsports has tended to either follow poor seasons (Mid October and early November 92 was the best period of the year on CairnGorm) or more be a precursor of doom such as 2002/03!

It’s the nature of our maritime climate, that back loaded winters with cold snowy springs are fairly common. I believe the average opening date of Glencoe since 1955/56 is 18th Jan and it didn’t open till mid Feb in year 1. The trend recently has actually been to earlier starts.

Wow - impressive stats! Are these written down anywhere? Also, anyone know if the car park cafe (possibly nor called that!) has any chance of reopening this season?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
haggishunter wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

Seasons shorter.

Temps up.

Snowfall down.

Skidays down.

Getting hotter and hotter every year, due to global boiling.

latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-51279607
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitegold wrote:
haggishunter wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

Seasons shorter.

Temps up.

Snowfall down.

Skidays down.

Getting hotter and hotter every year, due to global boiling.

Your 3 pictures show different data. None of them are relevant to each other and show no decline or rise but merely report the areas wherein each statistic is reported.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
On a positive note, "heavy snow" for next 4-5 days at least, say Glencoe. Very Happy
Once the 100+ mph winds have done their bits, of course... rolling eyes
snow report
I'm keeping my eye on Glenshee - the minute there's enough snow to open the runs I'm throwing the snowboard in the van and I'm off!
ski holidays
Quote:
I'm keeping my eye on Glenshee - the minute there's enough snow to open the runs I'm throwing the snowboard in the van and I'm off!
Why only Glenshee
boisdevie Puzzled West is looking best... wink
snow report
Glenshee is fabulous when conditions are right.
ski holidays
Glenshee because I want to do that black run there.
ski holidays
boisdevie wrote:
Glenshee because I want to do that black run there.

The tiger? Nothing special.

Tbe best runs at glenshee are over the other side off Glas Maol. Unfortunately long queues form quickly at the poma back up.
snow report
Glencoe looking to be pretty sweet the end of the week.
latest report
Quote:
Glenshee because I want to do that black run there

Quote:
Glencoe looking to be pretty sweet the end of the week
In that case, you may be able to do the black run to end all Scottish black runs @boisdevie Twisted Evil I give you....The Flypaper Very Happy

It's seriously steep Shocked
snow conditions
Looks like 10-50cm will fall this week.

Some may reopen.
ski holidays
Quote:

I give you....The Flypaper

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Glenshee because I want to do that black run there

Quote:
Glencoe looking to be pretty sweet the end of the week
In that case, you may be able to do the black run to end all Scottish black runs @boisdevie Twisted Evil I give you....The Flypaper Very Happy

It's seriously steep Shocked

I Just about crapped myself on it 2 years ago, unpisted and difficult doesnt quite cover it.................

Still hammering with snow in Edinburgh and the cams for Coe and Shee look good if a touch windy.

If it all hangs around next week looks good and I am dreaming of a bluebird / quiet day midweek (one of the benefits of self employment Very Happy )
snow report
So I and some friends are up near aviemore this week. We have a free day tomorrow. Having not skied in scotland before can any locals advise the likelihood of things being open tomorrow?

The plan would be cairngorm as its closest but if its recommended I could try and convince people to do a longer drive!
latest report
Glenshee might be a better bet. Bit more sheltered from the wind. They are looking at opening tomorrow, does really depend on the wind tho.
snow report
@wam15, I would head to Glenshee, or failing that perhaps Glencoe.

Wherever you go I think it will be a progressive opening and probably very limited terrain as there's little time for storm recovery work, bashing out drifts etc. Thursday may be better, though possibly another storm approaching from the south.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@wam15, Winter Highland brings the various reports together - this is the Cairngorm page - http://winterhighland.info/snowreports/index.php?resort=cg

Presently the snow gate is shut at Glenmore
snow conditions
Also, those links will show the snowgates toward Glenshee as well, which might be your problem tomorrow too.
ski holidays
Tomorrow looks tricky tbh.
snow conditions
GreenDay wrote:

If it all hangs around next week looks good and I am dreaming of a bluebird / quiet day midweek (one of the benefits of self employment Very Happy )

Hoping for much more snow between now and Sunday but also dreaming of a bluebird quiet day or 2 next midweek. Work 4 on/4 off and next week days off are Monday to Thursday. Nice to see Winter finally kicking in.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 11-02-20 19:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Glencoe is reopening Weds (subject to wind).
snow report
@wam15, from Aviemore tomorrow, I’d suggest Nevis. It is not that far and much more likely to get working well ahead of Cairngorm. The drive is downhill so less likely to be sat in the car all morning. The front of the mountain has no shelter in a northwest wind though so if it’s snowy in the car park, the lower mountain at Glencoe might be better. 50 mins further to drive though.
snow conditions
Thanks all for the advice! Will see how far I can convince the other to drive! In terms of less driving what about the lecht?
snow report
@wam15, last time I checked the Lecht road was closed.

Would agree with@what...snow, head West to Nevis or Glencoe.
snow conditions
@wam15, I would wait until morning to see what is happening and who has the best snow and weather, it doesn't matter where you go they will all be assessing the situation after the storm and will possibly open late, the best place to check is on their websites or Facebook pages. If you don't already know the best place for the road conditions is traffic Scotland https://trafficscotland.org
snow report
Thanks for all the advice. I will let you know what we decide in the morning!
ski holidays
Wind will be your enemy still tomorrow. Glencoe looks loaded in places but will need a bit of digging out, Glenshee looks to be opening up but only Cairnwell side and limited, again they will need to push a bit of snow around. Looks like a nice day, that;s where I'm heading as I am off work !
snow report
Lecht road is up with Cairngorm ski road as most blocked in Scotland, although much less steep from the west than the east. Still a bit interesting at Bridge of Brown. Lecht write up is not very positive. Pity the cams are so limited at Nevis but I would expect much more snow there.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy