Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lost baggage

Poster: A snowHead
mikeycharlton wrote:
@NickyJ, the destination address can help, but ultimately I'll need to contact you before I can send the luggage out for delivery, which is why phone number and email are more useful. Nothing more frustrating than knowing someone's address but not their phone number.

Flight details can help too, but I only have access to Easyjet and TUI booking systems. Therefore if you've flown with say BA and your luggage comes to me in error (it happens quite a lot), I won't be able to access your contact details.

@mikeycharlton excellent info, a few questions if I may

1. when you check in baggage, does the luggage bar code that is produced have a link to the airline database so that contact details can be traced?

2. Do you have to force open luggage for contact details? ie if this happens and luggage is then sent to you in resort, presumably it is then un-lockable for future use

3. Contact details in luggage. If persons unknown have your baggage I presume they could make contact pretending that they are an official airline representative ie like yourself and then trick you into revealing your home address
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w wrote:
Makes one realise that putting personal details inside case, and having some details of distinctive contents, should be routine.

I learned this very recently and will be doing it from now on.

Somebody I know had their case misplaced because all the outside identifying tags were ripped off. It ended up on the other side of the world for some reason - but when eventually opened her details were on the inside, so it was then returned.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@nahdendee,

1. Yes, when you check a bag in, that particular airline will know what your tag number is, and it will be stored on their booking system. At the bottom of every check-in tag there are 2 VERY small peelable labels. Peel one of them off and stick it anywhere on your bag. If the main tag comes off for whatever reason, I will still be abe to trace you by the small one.

Peel the other one off, and keep it on you. Quite often check-in staff will peel the 2nd one off and stick it on your passport. If your bag goes missing and you file a PIR, you can then add this info (the tag number) to your file. I can then trace via that tiny label when the bag eventually comes to me.

2. If a bag comes to me with full luggage tag intact, I still need to be certain that the luggage belongs to that person - this can only be done by asking the owner of that tag what contents they had inside. Bags are often incorrectly labelled, so quite often I'll call someone and say that I have a suitcase with their luggage tag on, only for them to tell me that they haven't lost any luggage. If I didn't ask them to confirm contents, eventually someone would just pretend that they HAD lost the bag.

So yes, if it's got a lock on it, 9 times out of 10 I will get the bolt cutters or special keys out to gain access. If it's a very unique looking item of luggage and they describe it perfectly to me, I can use my judgement and be happy that it is definitely theirs without having to look inside.

If it comes to me tagless, I absolutely am breaking the lock to try and find some clues inside the bag.

3. In theory yes, but in reality this is highly unlikely to happen. Just ask them a few questions if you are suspicious. The thing to remember though is that anyone who works at the check in, or has access to the airline's booking system will know when you are away anyway. They don't need to rely on your suitcase going missing and finding your phone number inside, to know that your house is empty. I reckon this is a FAR bigger threat to having your house robbed, than somebody impersonating me.

In fact there's more chance of being robbed by the taxi driver who has picked you up from your house and dropped you at the airport. Would you avoid getting a taxi to the airport because of this? Probably not.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@mikeycharlton, FFS I've got to open my bags now and put details inside for my coming flight. Evil or Very Mad Laughing Laughing

Seriously... good info'. Even if its a resurrected thread.

Many years ago I had a taxi booked with a mate for an early morning flight but he wasn't well so sent a mate who picked up my bags and said "Christ, don't put your home address on the label!" Don't paint all taxi drivers with the same brush wink Ever since, the label has only had my name + mobile number + (more recently) email. These days that's under an expired snowHead card. I also prefer to use the sewn on label pocket to a separate tag that can be ripped off in transit.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don’t see a problem searching and then resurrecting an old thread. Why create a new one when you can add to a relatively short old one. Lots of good info either way.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Necro: well the problem is that you're making people read back and check the dates to work out where the new thread (which is different from the old thread...) starts. It's a bit incompetent in my opinion. On the other hand the forum should be set to lock old threads, so you can't necro, in my humble opinion.

You never need to be at the airport to report lost baggage. AC have an online form to fill in, plus their call handlers are good with that and will give you an immediate claim number. There are international laws governing this stuff - they can't make it hard to find stuff they lost. And actually they can't dictate what they will and won't pay for particularly, it's their liability, and fighting you on it would be mightily expensive. They usually start out like insurance companies, assuming you don't know your rights, but actually you're in a pretty strong position so long as you are entirely reasonable.

I write my name and contact details inside my bags so they can't be lost. I don't do external personalized tags, don't use physical addresses. I've had a few bags misplaced from snowboarding, because it's the one time I'll have hold baggage. In all cases it comes back or is paid for by the airline. I don't insure it.

Agenterre wrote:
... Receiving stuff 8-15 days after a holiday of any sort is totally unacceptable. Rules should be changed ...
I think you'll find that the rules are 28 days for a write-off, which makes it tricky sometimes.

The main thing IMHO is to hang on to or photograph the receipts, and try to fly non-stop whenever you have stuff in the hold.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@phil_w, what's AC?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@holidayloverxx, Air Canada I suspect
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
" 'Appy Christmas" Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Small padlock on hold baggage. Easy to break but enough to put casual hands out!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
welshskier wrote:
Small padlock on hold baggage. Easy to break but enough to put casual hands out!

I use Key Rings on all external zips -- Fiddly enough to discourage casual hands and stops the zips 'unzipping'....
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sorry but didn’t want to start a new thread, so just used this one so I could have a rant. My son flew to Montreal on Tuesday, we got an email whilst he was in the air saying his ski bag hadn’t made the flight. No big deal, Air Swiss put it on the flight the following day. The delivery company collected it Wednesday night and that is where it remains. As far as Air Swiss are concerned the case is closed, the courier company refuse to give us a delivery date. My son meanwhile has missed 3 days of training with his team and competitions this weekend. I find it surprising that Air Swiss refuse to assist us and say it is out of their hands.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@doddsie, what's his delayed luggage ref? I'll get you the phone number for the courier company.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We’ve spoken to the courier company, they are in no rush to do it. The delivery is a long way from the airport, so I’m guessing they’re waiting to see if they can get some other deliveries to the vicinity to make it worthwhile. Their contract with Swiss Air states within 72hrs of them receiving it and that is about to pass. My wife had a big argument with them earlier and they may now try tomorrow, but I’m not holding my breath. It’s just annoying how long it’s taking, as at no point has the bag been lost.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thank you for the offer though mikeycharlto, very kind.
ski holidays
Ok so, i've worked out who he is, and his reference number.

If he goes onto wheresmysuitcase.com and inputs his surname and delayed luggage ref, there is an option to reschedule his delivery.
ski holidays
@doddsie, 72hrs is REALLY bad. I would have expected better from Swiss.

Even Easyjet will (should) get a bag from Gatwick to almost anywhere in the UK within 24hrs by using DHL overnight service. He's only 3.5hrs away from Montreal.
snow report
That site says it should have been delivered yesterday, but having spoken to the couriers they haven’t even considered delivering it yet
snow report
The worst thing is Swiss say the case is closed and there is nothing they can do.
snow conditions
Apologies, I'm replying to your messages, and you're giving me updates before I've had a chance to press enter Laughing

The information on their website is appalling though, I agree.
ski holidays
So much sympathy for those without luggage! Been there, lost the T shirt…several times. Thankfully, luggage always turned up (almost heroically, in remote locations over snowy mountain passes) but can take a week. Nerve-wracking. Insurance of limited help.
Great advice here and thank you so much Mickey, brilliantly helpful. Obvs, this is only an opinion but here are our hard won lessons:-
1. Air tags, air tags, air tags. Recommend Apple ones if you have an iPhone. Will tell you where in the world your bags are (with any luck, in the hold of the plane you are sitting in). A game-changer.
2. Ovener silicon luggage tags, bright orange, metal ties, with name, phone and email inside.
3. Business card or equivalent inside each bag
4. Photograph each bag including brand – for PIR form.
5. Exact note of accommodation address - especially if remote - for PIR form
6. If airlines do lose the bags, do PIR at airport to start the relocation process. I'm afraid, airlines and airports and staff can make this difficult but it has to be done. (Staff will help if you are disabled but this is not advertised.)
7. Travel in what you will wear on the hill – if you can. Take as much stuff in carry on as possible so you can cope for a few days and if you arrive late at night. Think about what you can hire (skis and boots) and what you can’t (good clothes). Trickier if you have children/elderly relatives, alas.
8. See if hosts can accept luggage when it finally arrives. Estimates of delivery are v unreliable. A good way to waste more days.
9. It took BA six months to acknowledge a complaint Shocked
10. When you buy a big ticket item like skis, keep the receipt for any future insurance claim. Keep receipts of emergency clothes etc bought in resort for a claim.

I know this can sound like a right pain, but missing half or more of your holiday is worse, believe me. IMHO it seems much worse since Covid, perhaps cos so many cancellations/delays? So, hopefully, it will improve
If all else fails, it can be fun borrowing your host's pisteur ski suit and skiing very badly all over the domaine Toofy Grin
snow report
I’ve just been to/from SFO for a trip to Tahoe with family there, flew BA from EDI-LHR, LHR-SFO and back
Way out: all bags left at LHR, delivered next day at 11am.
Way back (arr Sat pm in EDI): 3 out of 4 bags, my bike box is AWOL with my seriously expensive bike in it ! I can see the AirTag has it still in SFo. Have a tracking number but can’t rouse BA to tell me where it is, they are reporting it lost. Not good as it’s not moved since Friday PM US time (early sat am Uk time). Pretty annoyed - it has flight details written on.outside plus contact details (name, number) inside as well in multiple locations. Hopefully I can speak to someone tomorrow as I have a race on Saturday !
snow conditions
sound advice from @Jools,

@orange, hopefully they send yours soon. I've had a look at your file. Unfortunately no forwarding updates yet.

Another bit of advice for everyone. Don't use a black suitcase. Not only might another passenger at baggage reclaim think it's their's and take it, but trying to trace missing black suitcase can be a bit of needle in a haystack job, particularly at busy airports and during busy times (school hols).

Personally I'd go for red/green/purple or white.

I know this will sound daft, but you also need to remember what colour your suitcase is. I see so many PIR's where passengers have reported it as one thing, but in fact it's another colour.

Also avoid using a suitcase with an ambiguous colour, ie one where it could be classed as grey/black, or grey/blue, or blue/green. It will cause all sorts of confusion if the passenger has reported one colour, but the airport staff have classed it as another.
snow report
Thanks @mikeycharlton - AirTag had it possibly at a gate at 2:10am when it last reported in (so 6:10pm SFO time) - maybe it's on a plane. BA tracing said 'It was supposed to be loaded on a flight on the 6th' - yeah, you don't need to be poirot to work that one out !
snow report
I take a photo of my bag each time now after getting it lost last season.
Luckily I could remember exactly what it looked like and it was quite distinctive anyway so I agree, distinctive bag/detailing is good.
latest report
Bike just pinged me to let me know it was in London. Maybe BA can now actually find it and let me know !
latest report
orange wrote:
Bike just pinged me to let me know it was in London. Maybe BA can now actually find it and let me know !

There's a forward message on there saying it will be on tonight's BA flight (BA1464) from LHR to EDI.
latest report
If you google or similar the ceo and cheif customer officer of BA you get their work emails, don’t expect personal attention but a polite, accurate and straightforward email worked for me, had a call from a lovely lady who listened to me concerns, sorted basic repayment of cost and then offered an evoucher that paid for my gnarly bug flights
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks - super helpful ! All I need to do now is claim compensation for the 24 hr delay to our original flight that was cancelled , reclaim the avois for the Club upgrade which was wiped out on the rebooking and lodge receipts for our parking which we couldn’t rearrange with 9 hours notice. BA not covers themselves in glory.
snow conditions
Thanks - super helpful ! All I need to do now is claim compensation for the 24 hr delay to our original flight that was cancelled , reclaim the avoid for the Coub upgrade which was wiped out on the rebooking and lodge receipts for our parking which we couldn’t rearrange with 9 hours notice. BA not covers themselves in glory.
ski holidays
Has anyone lost a large black Snow & Rock suitcase/duffel type bag (with 2 wheels) recently?

I've got one at Gatwick, and can't work out who it belongs to. Most likely tagless from check-in about a week ago, but to be honest, it could have come from anywhere.

If this sounds like you, or anyone you know, please get in touch. I will ask you to confirm a few of the contents to make sure it's yours.
latest report
@mikeycharlton, Not mine, but wanted to say thank you for raising the issue of not being able to identify luggage. First time ever I put my name and number inside my cases a few weeks ago and had 2 bags lost on the flight from Geneva to Copenhagen.

Took almost 2 weeks to get my bags back. But I did. No idea if they identified them using this or if the little sticker they put on at check in was on them but either way, pleased I did it!

My hard suitcase now has details written on the inside with a sharpie. Need to figure out a permanent way of doing it with the ski bag.

I did like having Apple airtags in the ski bag as I knew exactly where it was as well. An extra bit of peace of mind.
latest report
@Legend., Good stuff.

Those little stickers have a habit of coming off, or worse, never being put on by the check in staff.

So a reminder to everyone to leave your contact details clearly visible inside the luggage.

I had a pair of skis here on Monday labelled with an airline tag relating to someone who flew with TUI from Turin to Gatwick.
The passenger had had not reported them missing at Gatwick. Why? Because they didn't belong to him.

Thankfully the real owner (a Swedish guy who flew from Turin to Stockholm with a completely different airline on the same day) had left all his contact details inside the bag. Presumably the skis had got mixed up on the transfer bus to Turin.

Spoke to him, and put them on the next flight to Stockholm. Potentially the difference between him getting his skis back, or never seeing them again.
latest report
@mikeycharlton, sorry to resurrect this thread but any idea why a bag that should have travelled from Heathrow to Geneva on Saturday (BA) is now in Copenhagen and still no update from BA. Airtags were quiet until late yesterday.
latest report
If you have a common sort of luggage / ski-bag (eg black), just do something to make it more distinctive. Coloured strap around the bag. Brightly coloured tag. Even just a bit of red/white barrier tape tied on.

Won't stop the airline losing or delaying it, but should avoid someone else mistakenly picking it up from a baggage belt or transfer bus,
snow report
As I'm here I would add that the AC [Air Canada] application which holds your boarding pass also has a section which is connected at some level to the baggage handing systems in most [but not all] airports. There's a log entry as soon as you deposit a hold bag, then one when it's loaded onto the plane, and another when it's unloaded at the other end... and finally when it's loaded onto the belt. It's vaguely comforting. But I still write my details inside my hold [snowboard] bag and don't pack anything in there I can't afford to be misplaced/ lost.

What's wheresmysuitcase.com and how does that relate to/ differ from simply negotiating with the airline?
I know what BA and AC are, but what's a PIR? Passenger Incident Report?

I note with EJ [Easy Jet] they no longer give you the sticky bag receipt. As that number's tied to the boarding pass you have on your phone... they don't give you to carry a physical copy of it around too.
snow report
@phil_w, Passenger Irregularity Report aka "we've lost/broken/stuffed your baggage". . . . . .
snow report
phil_w wrote:
As I'm here I would add that the AC [Air Canada] application which holds your boarding pass also has a section which is connected at some level to the baggage handing systems in most [but not all] airports. There's a log entry as soon as you deposit a hold bag, then one when it's loaded onto the plane, and another when it's unloaded at the other end... and finally when it's loaded onto the belt. It's vaguely comforting. But I still write my details inside my hold [snowboard] bag and don't pack anything in there I can't afford to be misplaced/ lost.

What's wheresmysuitcase.com and how does that relate to/ differ from simply negotiating with the airline?
I know what BA and AC are, but what's a PIR? Passenger Incident Report?

I note with EJ [Easy Jet] they no longer give you the sticky bag receipt. As that number's tied to the boarding pass you have on your phone... they don't give you to carry a physical copy of it around too.

Flew LGW-GVA and back with EJ last week (their new check in area in GVA is great, as is the new gate hall. Pity about the restaurant etc which is just as small and crowded as ever).
Option to print baggage receipt at the self bag drop both ways.
snow report
Quote:

sorry to resurrect this thread

Don't be. The fact that it has had multiple resurrections adds enormously to its value IMHO.
snow report
@tarrantd, either a cock up by the baggage handlers at Heathrow (ie they put it on the wrong aeroplane), or a cock up at check in, and your luggage ended up with a tag belonging to somebody else (who was flying to Copenhagen). I see this second reason happening a fair bit.

If nobody has claimed (created a PIR for) the bag that is in Copenhagen, then after 5 days CPH should send it to BA HQ for secondary tracing, at which point it should be fairly to easy to work out who the bag belongs to, providing you have created a fairly accurate PIR in GVA. Always add a list of contents onto your PIR. This can be done either at the airport or on your BA delayed luggage portal.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 19-03-24 20:07; edited 3 times in total
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy