Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Amadé and Salzburg Super Ski - Snow Reports 2014 - 15

Poster: A snowHead
Ski amade to fare best fur snow in alps, though not enough.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Has anyone skied Gernkogel or Hirschkogel up above Alpendorf yet this season ?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They were skiing down from the Gernkogel to the Straßalmbahn earlier this week 'cos I was watching them on the web cams while waiting for work to come in. I didn't see any chairs on the Hirschkogelbahn though on Thursday or Friday. The link is supposedly open to Wagrain and both Sonntagskogelbahn lifts (1 & 2) were open at the end of the week. I'm skiing in that area tomorrow with friends (we are coming over from Wagrain) so I'll be able to update you better tomorrow. It is forecast to go well below 0°C tonight and we are supposed to get another 10cms, but my gut feeling is that is optimistic, more likely a dusting. Freezing level is down to 500m tonight.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ukredsox

I've spent the afternoon on gernkogel/strassealm, it's been "ok". I've had a good day. Mainly focused on technique rather than speed/distance. Pistes are narrower than when I was here in March, and there's a mix of loose and icy snow which I've enjoyed. It's quiet as well so "about right" for the number of people on the slopes and no queues for the lifts.

Keith
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Strange white stuff all over the ground and falling from the sky?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@waynos

No snow fell during daylight hours yesterday. However I've just looked out the window of my hotel. There's new snow on the mountains overnight, too early to say how deep. Light rain in Sankt Johann Im Pongau where I am.

Keith
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snowing hard in Altenmarkt and snow chain warnings out for the Obertauern and Hochkönig roads. They were expecting about 10cms down in Wagrain, so I'm off to find out if they were right. I know that there are 2 little kids over there who are probably wondering if I'm a witch because I promised them last night that when they wake up the world will be white! Phew thank God for good local contacts, I was not convinced to be honest, it was way too warm yesterday evening I thought.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@waynos, whhhhoooohhhoooooo! snowing fit to bust here Shocked snowHead 20cms on Zauchensee!
@ukredsox, I skied Alpendorf 2 days ago, it was great, keep the faith! The only dodgy bit was the last 100meters down to the G link.There was a notice up warning of danger and only "good skiers should ski it" as there was not much snow,really it was just big piles of brown slush totally easy if you skied it slow.I was just pottering about for a couple of hours and still managed almost 40 kms.
Sure a lot of runs were closed but the ones open were great if you don't mind a bit of boilerplate, but thats all hypothetical now....did Waynos, Sue and me mention it was SNOWING LIKE A MADTHING!

Big big flakes.Whhhooot!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+1 for what Kooky said. I'm at the berg station gondelbahn after a quick run down from the lift next to Buchauhutte. It's deep fresh snow and there's loads more coming down plus the snow machines are on, couldn't see anything 😀.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
For those Snowheads on here in Ski Amade for the season, where are you staying within the area and what makes you choose that place?
I've never been before where would you recommend if I wanted to try it say end of Feb?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@VolklAttivaS5,

This is my second season skiing ever, so keep that in mind here and I've not been to France. I chose Sankt Johann Im Pongau because I came here with friends back in March and really liked it, plenty of places to ski, plus I am paying EU32/night HB over Xmas and new year. The Pension I am staying in is spotless, warm and spacious. Good simple breakfast, smiley and warm welcome and a number of restaurants locally. I didn't pick St Anton or Saalbach Hinterglem, the two other towns I went to last year, for this trip over Xmas/new year because of accommodation prices, that was the only reason.

I have learnt that hotel accommodation in Austria is the best in Europe, just nipping Germany, Finland and the Netherlands.

Keith
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks Keith, I have to agree re past experience about accommodation, every time I have stayed in Austria wherever it has been whether a large or small resort I have always felt it was friendly, clean, spacious and represented good value for my needs and wants at the time.
There is lots of choice of resorts in Ski Amade what I'm looking for is somewhere not too small and isolated, somewhere sociable etc.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Keith_b wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5,

This is my second season skiing ever, so keep that in mind here and I've not been to France. I chose Sankt Johann Im Pongau because I came here with friends back in March and really liked it, plenty of places to ski, plus I am paying EU32/night HB over Xmas and new year. The Pension I am staying in is spotless, warm and spacious. Good simple breakfast, smiley and warm welcome and a number of restaurants locally. I didn't pick St Anton or Saalbach Hinterglem, the two other towns I went to last year, for this trip over Xmas/new year because of accommodation prices, that was the only reason.

I have learnt that hotel accommodation in Austria is the best in Europe, just nipping Germany, Finland and the Netherlands.

Keith

Do you mind sharing the pension name? Sounds ideal for me and the OH for a week later in the season.

Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yay, the webcams look great today! Enjoy Samerberg Sue, Kooky, flangesax and all...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The webcams look very good quality, conditions look good.
latest report
I like basing myself in Radstadt or Altenmarkt, pretty central, 44 resorts on the lift pass and a few nice bars and places to eat nearby. In fact it's only a 35 minute walk between the two villages.
snow conditions
@Scarpa, how long does it take you to get on the slopes in the morning? Do you have a car to use or do you use the buses?
ski holidays
AthersT

I am staying at Pension Wielandner. I made an error in my original post, I am here in BB, not HB. I booked a couple of months ago, I have a large single room. I recommend this place.

Keith
snow conditions
Good day up at Planar yesterday, mixture of fresh and man made. Busy but not horrendous. Good to be back on the plank Very Happy
ski holidays
@VolklAttivaS5, From Flangesax's the bus runs 80 metres from his door to the Radstadt slope. 15 minutes to ski to Altenmarkt, and you can get the free bus up to Zauchensee and could then ski across to Flachauwinkl.
I take my car though, Schladming is 25 minutes away, Zauch about 15, Wagrain and Flachau are also close. But there are then a lot of resorts worth visiting within an hours drive too, very much spoilt for choice.
snow conditions
@VolklAttivaS5, I love the skiing at radstadt and altenmarkt but it is pretty limited for a skier like you. Personally I found radstadt to be too quiet in the evenings. Zauch and flachauwink have great skiing as does flachau and wagrain. Even if i didn't have a flat in flachau I would choose to stay there for restaurants and bars. .or maybe Wagrain which is a proper town
ski holidays
Quote:

it is pretty limited for a skier like you.

What does that actually mean?
What makes it 'limited'?

It is a little low and tightly tree lined for off piste but has FIS graded slopes. It isn't so big and doesn't have a long/steep black run.
I'm in my 9th season and still love skiing on my local lump! Of course I will emotionally defend my home mountain but I do get easily confused when it comes to what makes an area 'limited'. Over my time out here some of the best days have been spent on Radstadt and Fageralm.
ski holidays
@flangesax, what I mean is as you set out. I love it too..and Fageralm..and we will certainly ski both in January. I think when you are there all the time or very often you (we) have the luxury of being able to choose where and when to ski. If someone is only out for a week then they will naturally want to consider where they will get the most out of it.
ski holidays
But that is the thing.... 'getting the most out of it'. IMO all slopes serve this purpose. It is up to you to decide what to do on them to achieve this!
snow conditions
For me personally one of the best things about Ski Amadé is that if like me you are on a week's holiday there you can ski a different area every day. So a different collection of runs, different huts, different scenery. Everywhere has a friendly feel but that's even more apparent in the smaller areas like Radstadt/Altenmarkt and Fageralm. Often if you're on a week's skiing holiday in a large interconnected area your route out and back will be the same every day, although what you do in between might well be different. If variety is your thing then Ski Amadé will certainly suit.
latest report
queen bodecia wrote:
you can ski a different area every day. So a different collection of runs, different huts, different scenery. Everywhere has a friendly feel but that's even more apparent in the smaller areas like Radstadt/Altenmarkt and Fageralm.
This ^^^^^

Although
flangesax wrote:
doesn't have a long/steep black run.
Sells it for me Laughing
latest report
Looking forward to a trip out in March to Wagrain, first time since the new lift opened. Second the bit about variety and skiing in different areas. Didn't really do Zauchensee last time as there was a set of competitions on when we were there. Austria also offers the best balance of price and comfort for hotels.
ski holidays
Been snowing overnight, 10+ cms in town and still coming down. Thanks Santa, may it continue.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good day on the hill. Lots of fresh to start. Interesting on top at the end of the day. All snow striped by the wind and just lots of ice, good job I sharpened my edges
snow conditions
waynos wrote:
Been snowing overnight, 10+ cms in town and still coming down. Thanks Santa, may it continue.

You're lucky. Gasteinertal had about 1-2 cms. Awful conditions at the mo.
snow report
Just in Munich airport on way home from Maria Alm and can confirm it snowed pretty well all of yesterday ans some more today. I'd estimate 20cm in total. Skiing is still limited to mainly the Deinten ans Mulbach area of The Hochkonig but they are opening mire runs each day and we even had a couple of hours on Aberg above Maria Alm before we left this afternoon.
ski holidays
Here in Schladming started snowing about 9pm, still going strong. Valley run to town due to open today, still a couple of runs shut but with this new snowfall should open soon.
latest report
@waynos, I arrive tonight, of course everything will open Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
How is everything looking in Schladming area after the recent snow today, cams were looking good and still more to come.
latest report
Today's snow has helped. Skied to the valley via night race piste, pretty good condition but the odd icy patch. Though the second time we did it in the dark, which made it more interesting. Still a few closed piste such as golden jet area. With continued cold for artificial and forecast snow things will keep improving. The off piste needs much more snow.
snow report
greetings fro St Johann Im Pongau.

still only about 50% open but it's been snowing most of the day. Viz was terrible up on Gernkogel & Hirschkogel but it was pretty good under ski.

Another day above Alpendorf for me tomorrow. the weather is meant to clear later in the week, so I'll joinn the rest of my group then as they venture further afield
latest report
@ukredsox, I know the vis was bad, but even last week more than 50% of the lifts were open. Now 31 of the 44 are operating and the Talabfahrt should be open later today. You need to ignore all the info about the Hahnbaum lifts and pistes as those are the ones in town and are not part of the Alpendorf -Wagrain-Flachau system. When the Talabfahrt opens then the Gernkoglbahn and the lifts around the Kreistenalm will open as will the BuchauBahn if it isn't already.
ski holidays
started snowing at midday and going strong. Late afternoon ski at Schladming, very windy in places, snowing hard, -13 at 1900m made for some chilly skiing. New snow starting to accumulate, if it keeps going will be powder about tomorrow, then more snow forecast tomorrow night and the weekend.
snow report
Live report from Strassalm Restaurant up above Alpendorf. Snow still coming down and canons firing. Mostly excellent snow conditions on Gernkogel and Hirschkogel. Just a few bare or icy patches in high traffic areas or on the steeper/exposed parts of reds.

Based on the board at the top of the gondola, there are still some runs closed at Alpendorf but I expect they'll be open soon (I didn't check the StJ town piste)
ski holidays
06 looks good for Ski Amade

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy