Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2014/2015: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires

Poster: A snowHead
Seems like we escaped the worst of the wind in the 3 Valleys (at least in Mottaret today) - though there was definitely a very cold North wind on the tops. The snow off piste was surprisingly unaffected (and it had snowed a surprising amount yesterday) though a lot of care is still needed, particularly with the fresh layer now hiding all sorts of stuff underneath. On the whole it was a bit like this today:

The little bits of piste we skied today seemed to be in very good condition (the usual icy 200m down into Mottaret notwithstanding) and it is relatively quiet in resort just now.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You escaped to that, how terrible for you Wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spring has sprung since yesterday afternoon. Warm and sunny and due to stay that way.

Pistes are in excellent condition all over (even Les Menuires was not icy yesterday morning - a rare occurence!), though this will change rapidly with the warm sunny days forecast.

Still soft snow to be found off piste but anything but true North slopes will be transforming very quickly...

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just trying to finalise a late booked Easter family holiday - week starting Sat 4th April. Considered somewhere high and purpose built but in the end we keep getting drawn back to a catered chalet holiday.
We like good food, and want space to relax and don't need any nightlife!
We don't necessarily mind having to take a bubble up and down to the snow I suppose (we've skied at Morzine at Easter for the last few years which is very low and certainly no resort skiing!).... Easter skiing is for us, as much about sun and a holiday as it is pure skiing but I'd like some good advanced skiing and if there is spring off-piste so much the better!

Found a couple of options in La Tania (on the piste - if still operational?) and Courchevel Le Praz (5 mins from lifts)...
Thoughts ladies and gents? What is the skiing like at Easter and prospects for this year given current snow and piste conditions? Are we mad or will it be fine?

(Edit - my question is related to the likely snow conditions but shout if you think this question is better under another forum and I will move move. Resorts thread?)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
red maybe closed (it has no cannons), it was last year at that time, blue was open so was the green. The green developed a case of big hole-itis near the end of our stay before it joins the blue, there's a several streams running under the pistes, the red had one where the green crosses, and the hole on the green was also created by a stream. You could still ski round them though. Bit difficult to say on conditions, but as there's still a few weeks left of the season, you'll still be ok I would have thought. 1850 should be ok with most skiing higher.

March was warm last year too, it looks like friday 13th should deliver a change, although might be rain lower down, but freezing levels dropping, saturday should see some fresh snow to 1400m, just in time for my arrival Wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks Little Martin - sounds like at least a good chance of skiing down then? (Presume your answer was for Le Praz rather than La Tania?)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sorry, that's la tania - it has 3 possible runs back to the village, I would think most of the work goes into keeping the blue open, and they got it open first at Christmas too, so I'd expect it to be open as long as possible to the end of the season.

It's up to you, both have plus/minus points, the bubble from la praz has a walk (up a small incline) at the end to get to the lifts in 1850 - not sure if it's skiable but wasn't at christmas, but has the new high speed lift to the top of la tania, it has a couple of red options back.

La tania has one lift and the drag, then another lift to the top, but you then have the option of meribel and back to 1850, la tania 100m higher apparently, may help with skiing back too, with green, blue, red options back.

Can't comment on what's in la praz, I've always stayed in la tania.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sorry off topic from the weather (which I am following far too obsessively) but any recent experience with ski schools in Courchevel please? First time there, got a cheap apartment in 1850 and some of the ski schools seem eye wateringly expensive (perhaps par for the course in 1850). I did find an old link on here on ski schools in Courch but about 8 years old and some of the schools don't exist anymore.

Likewise and any food recommendations that wouldn't break the bank in 1850 and on mountain ... may not exist but hey might as well ask! We have a car so thinking of going over to 1650 and think can get lifts down to 1550 by lift till pretty late in the evening.

Right back to doing a snow / make it colder dance snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Rowlski, ESF at 1850 offer group lessons with maximum 8 in the class, six days of 2.5 hours from Sundays, €315 but you can get 20% off in the low season weeks from 8 - 27 March. I make that £12.50 an hour which sounds like a bit of a bargain to me.
http://www.esfcourchevel.com/adultes/cours-top8
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@pam w, you're right the adult courses do look reasonable and max 8 is decent. Don't know what the ESF reputation is like in Courchevel? Seems to vary wildly from resort to resort. I should have said that its not just for me but also a 6 year old mini me. I did look at the ESF's courses and they have a "Top 6" where its guaranteed less than 6 children per group (fantastic!) but at 643 euro I can't afford it sadly (even if it is good value). Also he's more up for a half days lesson with afternoon mucking about than full day which is what the Top 6 is. They have much cheaper group courses too but don't state any maximum group size and based on ESF large group sizes experience elsewhere I'd be reluctant to risk it.

We're going out on the 28th March which is high season for some ski schools but low for others! Easter skiing whilst popular generally nowhere near as busy as the half term madness! Any experience of ESF or other ski schools at Courchevel?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
esf are the only ones that constantly seem to run group lessons for kids, for adults, I found a couple more recently, newgen have a good booking system you can see availability. If you have ski club discount you get 10% off too (sorry admin). Magic might be a good bet too, with more chance of a group (they are the only other besides esf running a kids group next week) - again skiclub gives you 10% discount. - It's worth getting the cheap ski club membership just for lesson discounts, pays for itself easily.

I've used magic recently for my daughter (and again next week), I'm having 2 lessons with newgen, I've had lessons with momentum. Momentum can be good with kids, our friends have had lessons with them last few years and kids are always happy.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
new gen seem to do kids groups at reasonable prices. http://www.skinewgen.com/ski-schools/courchevel-1850/childrens-ski-lessons/?_ga=1.60764203.745681083.1423650969

We had adult group lessons with new gen some years ago, which were excellent.

I agree that all day is too much for a 6 year old. That option is presumably partly for people who want to dump their kids and go skiing for the day?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
From le praz take the bubble and walk to class with a little one, or ski from bubble to epicea and then ski into centre depending on how confident you and little one are (my son can do the ski and lift in the same time it takes me to walk...)

Esf 1850 depends on the instructor and what you are expecting. My kids are here for the season and so have had a few all have been really friendly.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We regularly use New Gen for our daughter in Courchevel 1650 and she loves them. They are a bit pricier than ESF but I have better peace of mind. Re cheap eats - 1850 is expensive but there is a sandwich/baguette shop in The Forum which is good value.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks folks, been looking at some of those above plus Supreme. New Gen looks good and that's the one I'd be most tempted by except its 409 euro which is on the steep side for us though you do get a lot of time - 4.25 hr lessons per day. Magic again sound reasonable but that's min 400 euro hence thinking we might give Supreme a go, British school and shorter lessons (hence cheaper) but for my 6 year old 2 hour lessons is probably enough.

Has anyone got any feedback or heard anything about Supreme? I seem to have totally missed Momentum in my trawl so off to look at them now Smile Thanks again!
ski holidays
We've just booked a La Tania chalet for the first Easter week. Hoping we'll be able to ski in and out at that time, what's the opinion? We are near the Moretta Blanche red. Getting excited now! Any recommendations on a good apres ski bar there where 2 middle aged parents and a 16-year-old daughter wouldn't seem too out of their depth! Shocked
snow report
Moretta got hammered in the rain last week. A lot of work done on it but it was basically granular ice with vegetation sticking through on the steeper pitches with a light covering of man made graupel on top, at the end of last week.

I am sure there will be additional work done to keep it reasonable. Folyeres was in a much better state.

Sorry.

Chrome Bar and/or Bar le Pub. Either are ok.
snow report
Thanks @Maersk, it's a pain having kids in school! Not going to brave Feb half term, so have to wait til Easter. Quite used to skiing in Spring snow Sad
ski holidays
I've used Magic many times now for my daughters and always been very happy so a strong recommendation there from me.

I bumped into Supreme when they were having their photos taken at the start of the season and stopped to have a chat. They seem like a nice bunch, a mix of (ex?) BASI trainers and British racers, and I'm sure you'd have a good experience with them but I've not used them as a customer.

Others to consider: Sweet Snowsports and Marmalade. I've been taught by one of the Sweet Snowsports instructors (but he had his BASI jacket on at the time) and would be happy to recommend them on that basis. Marmalade are fantastic and although based in Meribel they might still have something suitable for you. They are really nice people as well as excellent teachers and inspirational skiers.

To be honest though I'd go for whatever ski school lessons are the most convenient for you and your budget. They all offer something slightly different in the way of timings, locations, group sizes, prices etc. and the tuition is likely to be of a similar standard across them all.
snow report
@Clare_M, the red suffers from no snow cannons, so it's down to nature to do it's thing. It still might be "skiable" down to the chalet, but you may need to come down the green and cut back onto the red, and then the short distance down to the bubble might still be possible, but beware the bridge, there's a step between piste and bridge if the snow is low, the right hand side isn't as bad as the left
snow conditions
Thanks @kieranm, I have sent enquiries to several of the ski schools last night on availability etc. just waiting on responses and final prices and will make a choice. As you say I'm positive whichever will be a good experience - amazingly our ski school lessons in Switzerland were considerably cheaper than what appears to be the going rate in Courchevel. At least the pound is doing nicely against the euro Smile

Looks like a return to cold for the weekend, not a huge amount of the snow by the looks of it for the 3 valleys but may well change yet.
latest report
Out there also next week.....got wifey booked in at the snowlimit ski school which are based out of meribel, not used them before but heard and read good reviews about them. My son who snowboards is going with Cab9 which I've also read are quite good. As for me, looks like I'll be jollying around on my own when they are both learning snowHead
snow report
Spring has sprung this week but there is still powder to be found off the lifts if you go looking:

Skied-out shady slopes are generally in nice chalky, grippy condition:

Sunny sides are definitely setting up well into a spring snow cycle, though this morning's breeze held back the softening a little...

Who knows what this weekend will bring??
latest report
I can sympathise. 36 years of half term or Easter........................................

Now the friday before. Best job in the world........
snow conditions
We found a very lovely looking Chalet in Meribel for 2 weeks at Easter on Chalets Direct solutions room for a very keen price. I suspect that there are more quite good deals to be had. ESF booked, flights booked. Just working out if the little one has grown into the smallest skis and boots we have…Now to start on the sandwiches….
latest report
Weather reports are changing with each run, sometimes snow this weekend, sometimes not. Could be windy, temperatures could be anywhere Wink

Freezing levels dropping still so if it does come it shouldn't be rain to the lower resorts.
ski holidays
Have booked my son un with Supreme ski school, fingers crossed it will be good, 4 hour morning lessons so hope he'll be able to cope! They had no space for me so NewGen or ESF top 8 for me. Stupidly left it too late for a full choice, doh.

Looks like the snow may barely reach 3 valleys area this weekend, keeps fluctuating so who knows but at least its looking cooler.
ski holidays
@Little Martin, they've gone a little crazy this morning. First view this morning of VT showed temperatures down to -7C all week and about 2m of fresh snow all the way to Thursday, now it's showing about 40cm to Monday night, with temperatures rising to 0C by Thursday morning.

Not that I check the weather every hour.... Embarassed
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Little Martin, Handy Turnip, looking good for my going out on Thursday next week Very Happy
snow conditions
@stevew, very true! Although the way things are going, the forecast will probably have completely changed within a hour wink

I'm out a couple days later than you (hence my current weather obession - by this time next week I'll be checking it every 3 minutes!!!)
ski holidays
my daughter reminded me this morning it was 3 sleeps till we go Wink

New salopettes have arrived, although their definition of 32" is smaller than my usual 32", either that or I've put a lot more weight on recently than I thought, good job they have braces, otherwise it could be embarrassing if they came down mid ski when they pop open at the waist Wink
ski holidays
Little Martin wrote:
stevew - we'll be in the chalet opposite, leave on the 21st though, but late so have a morning skiing to fit in still Wink

Which chalet are you in? I'll keep an eye open for you. I ski in a organge and grey columbia jacket and a red/black Salomon rucksac.
snow report
Abigail, it's one of FFS chalets, it's directly opposite the telemark.

I'll be all in black apart from my boots.

Have snowhead stickers on my helment and ski's, daughter has some on her's but likely to have a new helmet if we can find one that fits, brother in law might have my old white helmet, that's covered in snowhead stickers too.

40+cm forecast for this weekend in the latest forecast
ski holidays
I am truly lost on forecasts now. I looked yesterday and was expecting double-digit temperatures and melting snow. I look today and it has plunged into the minus range and huge snowfalls are expected!

I guess I'll turn up first thing Sunday morning and work out then what 8 days of skiing is going to bring me! Smile
snow report
back to little snow this morning, wish this storm would make it's mind up Wink

My requirements are 50cm dump at 1400m, then nice sunny weather for the rest of the week, is it too much to ask ? Wink
ski holidays
@Little Martin, thats ok if it happens on thursday friday next week please! Twisted Evil

as i get there on the morning of the 21st! Laughing
snow report
@Hadge8, ditto....as i get there on the morning of the 21st! staying in one of the snowretreat chalets...
ski holidays
well bergfex is showing the sunshine I want, looks like just a fleece on top rather than coat might be in order most days, definitely packing the factor 50, trying to decide if I need shorts or not Wink
snow conditions

Taken earlier this week from the top of what used to be the 3V2 chair - now TS 3 Vallees.

Warm - hot sunshine all day (except yesterday) is causing lots of lumpy-bumpy soupy bits, not unusual, just hard work on the way home!

Yesterday:

On another note, trying to get 3G internet that works is hopeless this week - plenty of indicated signal on Free/Orange/Bougytel but trying to actually use it is hopeless unless it's the middle of the night, or when everyone else is skiing.[/img]
snow report
@Little Martin, I like that forecast - j2ski is showing thunder on Wednesday Shocked
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy