Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2014/2015 (Folks that a Wrap 2014/15 season)

Poster: A snowHead
@Markymark29, Yeah, it was an amazing day, made all the more special by the fact that as a promotion for the opening day of the season Meribel Alpina offered free breakfast and a free lift pass for the first 100 people who turned up. All that snow, for free!

Obviously it's not usually that good, and there is more of a snow risk in December than there is in Jan, Feb and March. But if you choose to go to a high resort in whatever country you prefer, early season skiing is not a stupid risk to take.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@rob@rar, agreed, we go Cham (town low but Grand Montets is very special) or Tignes if we're going pre-Xmas. May try a VT/ St Anton pre Xmas/ Xmas double header next season....weather permitting!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well I got my first turns of the season in... and because I'm excited about not working this year I filmed it.....

It was actually good conditions so I got REALLY excited (and embarrassing).... please don't judge me (but there's a shout out for you guys at the end wink )

Snow was 8 cm of fluff on a smooth unbreakable rain-crust, except in sheltered areas where the crust is less dependable... also a lot of sides of the valley have been severely wind f*cked... not worried about enduring unstable layers yet though as the next few warm days could break things down and produce a solid ground layer (or make things worse wink )

Lech was less fun, a lot of people on a couple of runs, lots of ice and bumps, a fair amount of waiting for lifts

http://youtube.com/v/nB51tD606sI
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@dulcamara, nice, good start to your season! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snowed overnight in Ischgl and was nice to wake up to a white valley. Thought it would all melt away (in valley) by the end of the day, but it hasn't. Smile So perhaps this bodes well for the near future

Skiing was great. (For me, I can't do off piste.) A lovely sunny day, some fresh snow, some ice here and there, but not too much, and you could find some uncrowded pists if you stayed off the main blue runs. And not too many queues. So not sure if the whole of Europe is here or not. car parks seem full.

The valley runs are not yet open, although I think some people are working there way down (not us), but the cannons were going some at the end of the day, so perhaps the company expects it to stay cold now.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Markymark29 wrote:
@dulcamara, enjoy your day mate.

Personally I'm tired of hearing all the negativity so far on this forum from those who are moaning about conditions, especially those from the US. If CO is so great it begs the question, why are you bothering......(think we know the answer it's a rhetorical question) you just booked too early in the season........the first proper snow always arrives at or just before Christmas and the snow is best early/ mid January onwards. It's just weather. I hope that's the end of the doom-mongers now and they enjoy these freshies, that due 25/26th and leave plenty fresh pow for me and my buddies due out end January and on.

So it's okay for the Euros to complain, just not us Yanks? Puzzled I won't respond to the rhetorical question since we all know the answer.

But it's tough to look at Euro conditions which are subpar this early season. And for the record, the snow really is awesome right now in CO. Driest and lightest I've ever skied in the month of December. But sadly no Austrian schnaps, or really good Europop music at the end of the ski day. Crying or Very sad

I'll check my pessimism at the Christmas Spirit Door going forward. Looking forward to skiing knee deep Arlberg pow in a month.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Folks.

The weather has been very strange, a dusting (10cms)
of snow lastnight & colder today.
Warming up again tonight & next few days will be mild.

However, It finally looks like winter is arriving with a shock
on 25th .

24th will be sunny then in the night will
see a sudden drop in temp & Polar temperatures
up to 2015.

Snow 25th!!

-10C
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@dulcamara, nice.....see you soon mate, enjoy your turns! wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@dulcamara, Nice!

Looks like you're also adept at making the most of 8cms NehNeh
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@clarky999, I had an ask around, apparently the only thing that has as more fun riding 8cm is.....

yo mama!!! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Toadman wrote:
Markymark29 wrote:
@dulcamara, enjoy your day mate.

Personally I'm tired of hearing all the negativity so far on this forum from those who are moaning about conditions, especially those from the US. If CO is so great it begs the question, why are you bothering......(think we know the answer it's a rhetorical question) you just booked too early in the season........the first proper snow always arrives at or just before Christmas and the snow is best early/ mid January onwards. It's just weather. I hope that's the end of the doom-mongers now and they enjoy these freshies, that due 25/26th and leave plenty fresh pow for me and my buddies due out end January and on.

So it's okay for the Euros to complain, just not us Yanks? Puzzled I won't respond to the rhetorical question since we all know the answer.

But it's tough to look at Euro conditions which are subpar this early season. And for the record, the snow really is awesome right now in CO. Driest and lightest I've ever skied in the month of December. But sadly no Austrian schnaps, or really good Europop music at the end of the ski day. Crying or Very sad

I'll check my pessimism at the Christmas Spirit Door going forward. Looking forward to skiing knee deep Arlberg pow in a month.

As an Anglo/Yank, I can obviously complain with impunity Wink. However I won't, 'coz the skiing here in Killington is excellent and it's exactly two months until we're booked into Lech Wink. Plenty of time for Arlberg snowy magic to happen. When you going Toadman?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
News release from Lift Company 22nd Dec

Albona & part of Sonnenkopf opens 23rd

http://www.abbag.com/en/winter/
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Forgot to add .

Riffl2 ia open this morning Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Found this on th st anton site, anyone know what it is? It's in German. http://www.freizeitticket.at

Gortononator, vt is good? Gonna try and go next week. When are the yanks invading? I'll be there during 1/2 term break with all of humanity.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Redwine, the Freizeitticket is the Innsbruck area ski pass (and swim/mtb in summer). It's great, covers 19 or so resorts, and gives 10 months of skiing at Stubai, but it's only available to people who live (and are registered as such) in Innsbruck (or maybe it's Tirol?). In addition to the local IBK resorts you also get 3 days skiing in the Arlberg and 3 days in Ischgl with it.
snow conditions
Thx clarky, oh well. Everything is so expensive in the alps, except lift tickets, so can't complain on that front. Just paid $110/ day for 3 days at vail, it seems a lot cheaper in st anton fot a whole week. I always wondered why lift tix are so much more expensive in the us. Me thinks vermont might be more expensive than st anton?? Is it litigation costs?
snow conditions
Cooling down nicely over Christmas with a some moderate decent snowfall days between then and NewYear, and much colder. Locals saying the first big dump early January. Very Happy
snow conditions
Cooling down nicely over Christmas with a some moderate decent snowfall days between then and NewYear, and much colder. Locals saying the first big dump early January. Very Happy
snow conditions
@Markymark29, same locals who were telling you it was going to be a "great long season" back in September? wink
latest report
@Markymark29, all still too far away to call I'd say.....fingers crossed it arrive but all could change.
ski holidays
@nozawaonsen, yep, the season could well be prolonged at the back end, that'll suit just fine, might get a sneaky Easter weekend in or even Weisse Rausch weekend. Look what happened in 12/13 how much it snowed in January and the railway was closed for days when the Railjet and a load of cars had av troubles near St Jakob, a lot can change quickly.
snow report
@kitenski, I guess but those old farmer guys know the score, they pull the cows down from the mountain pastures and stable them etc, it's their livelyhood and they've seen a few winters come and go.......we'll see. Have a good Christmas Greg.
snow report
@Markymark29, I'm all for a late season, didn't get a dump worthy of going out on the fat skis last Easter Smile

Have a good break yourself, was hoping Yad Moss may open sometime over the next 2 weeks Smile
snow report
Quote:

Is it litigation costs

Yes, I think it's mainly litigation insurance costs that mean lift tickets are more expensive in the US. Looking at the prices for St Anton a 7 day pass works out at about the same as your 3 day tickets for Vail.

In terms of other costs St Anton is *roughly* average for a large resort in Europe. Places like the Val d'Isere or the 3 valleys in France or anywhere in CH will cost more, place in Italy will cost less (not so much the Dolomites, they are about the same as St Anton). Other resorts in Austria tend to be cheaper than St Anton, even Kitzbuehel is a bit cheaper.
ski holidays
gortonator wrote:

As an Anglo/Yank, I can obviously complain with impunity Wink. However I won't, 'coz the skiing here in Killington is excellent and it's exactly two months until we're booked into Lech Wink. Plenty of time for Arlberg snowy magic to happen. When you going Toadman?

gotonator We are headed out the 16th of January, arrive the 17th in Lech for a week of steep and deep powder skiing. Much sooner than I wanted to go but travelling with family, and using FF milies, so it was the best we could work out. In any event we will make the best of what conditions are there. Maybe luck and good fortune will be on our side like it was in Breck this past week. Forecasts were only calling for 3"-6", then the day before the snow, they upped it to 5"-10", and we ended up with 15" in Breck, and 18" in Vail!

Hope you are having a good time in Killington. Still praying for snow in the Cascades. Maybe will have to travel a bit during New Years to find some proper snow!
snow report
So if you haven't seen this yet, here's a reminder of why we love Arlberg so much......Awesome skiing by local WFT skier Stefan Haeusl.....a fantastic movie.....Dasein (Being There):-

http://youtube.com/v/4bFEoPg0UBU
snow report
Skied what was available in st anton yesterday conditions not great and result of small number of runs available means overcrowding. Real shame as apart from some sections of red14 and blue17 generally didnt enjoy so much.

Tried Ischgl today much better lots available and some good snow to ski on, going back there tomorrow now.
snow report
@Markymark29, Great movie. I have the bug so bad now.... 5 days until I hit Austria Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Awesome film. I could not believe the action from about the 15th minute. This is serious adrenaline addiction. The images were amazing, but I bet the feeling would have been so much better. Thanks.
snow report
jaksbak wrote:
Awesome film. I could not believe the action from about the 15th minute. This is serious adrenaline addiction. The images were amazing, but I bet the feeling would have been so much better. Thanks.

That terrain is insanely complex. I suspect conditions rarely get that good, as you need great cover and a very stable snow pack; and it's only ever going to be safe to ski it if you know the area incredibly well. Fabulous film.
latest report
@Scarpa, Enjoy it......only 37 left for me! rolling eyes
ski holidays
Extract from "we love powder" FB page....

Even though it kind of subtropical today in the Alps and the meadows are already green again, there's cold air coming in with snow for the northern Alps. In the night to Christmas Day it starts snowing in the north, where the snow line will drop deep into the valleys. A real northern Stau in the form of a cold front hits the northern Alps and will bring the much needed snow. You can expect 10-30, locally even 35-40 centimeters of freshies. Especially in the eastern Swiss northern alpine ridge and the Arlberg I expect the most snow. These are precisely the places where they already have some snow and with some extra freshies the conditions will improve.

Go folks.......Wish we were there wink
latest report
would anyone actually ever say the word 'freshies' out loud?
ski holidays
Yep, freshies are gooood! Bring it!

Yank lift ticket prices for a few reasons. Insurance for our silly liability laws, far more staff for lifts/ski patrol/hosts/etc. Ever notice how many lifties in Austria compared to some place in the US?
snow report
All I want for Xmas is for the ski center webcam to be all white.
snow report
@Markymark29, will be watching, out there on the 28th.
snow report
Happy Reading

http://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/service/weather-and-snow-report

Frohe Weihnachten. Very Happy
ski holidays
That lady has a fantastic ponytail Smile

The forecast itself seems quite conservative - time will tel...
latest report
stanton wrote:
Happy Reading

http://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/service/weather-and-snow-report

Frohe Weihnachten. Very Happy

Interesting that the posted forecast chance for snow % is not higher given all the chatter. Oh well, I have seen lower % forecasts for snow, turn into pretty decent accumulation. Alles gute...
snow conditions
Happy Christmas St Anton Snowheads and thanks for all weather advice - have a good Christmas Day
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy