Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Atomic Balanze 11 / Fischer AMC73 / Volkl AC3

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Not dissimilar to Ghost's post I guess so apologies in advance for the overlap...

I'm female, age 35, 5'6", 67kg. Between levels 7 & 8 on the Snow & Rock scale, cautious control freak who enjoys the occasional blast, goal for season is to bring all blacks into comfort zone and to start on some off-piste (done a very little bit to date but feel ready for it now). Technically strong, never skied on straight skis. Currently skiing on 02/03 Crossmax 8s in a 160 length which have about 80-90 days' use on them. Ski 25-30 days/year on average - Swiss alps at weekends and 2 weeks in Courchevel.

Toying with the idea of changing and these 3 skis are on the shortlist (although I'm finding it v difficult to find anywhere in Switzerland that stocks them so I can try them out - any clues would be welcome!). Need something with excellent edge hold that will also handle up to a foot or so of powder now and then. A reduction in weight over the Crossmax would be a bonus. I don't mind a ski that bites back occasionally but I don't want to have to fight it all the way home on the last run of the day when I'm tired. I also don't like to have to work too hard.

Anyone got any opinions on these 3 skis? In particular how do they compare with teh Crossmax? Is there merit in getting a women's ski? Is it worth changing at all?

Thanks in advance!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Also added Head Wild Thang to the demo list - if I can find any of them Confused

Obviously I want to try before I buy, but would appreciate any thoughts on these skis in advance since availability could be a problem (I can buy v easily, demo could be a different matter)

TIA
eng
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
eng_ch, I'm afraid I know nothing about the skis you list, but as you live in Swizzie, have you looked to see what Stoeckli have to offer? I had a few days on their Spirits at LDA a few weeks a couple of weeks ago and was completely bowled over by them - edge grip to die for and plenty of life if you want to push them, although they're not shy about telling you when you've got it wrong. Just about doable off-piste, but not helpful though by a long chalk. There should be something a bit more all purpose in their range - the Stormrider XL gets rave reviews here as their all-mountain ski but you're probably looking for something in between those two. ise is the chief Stoeckli evangelist here, and may be able to point you in the right direction.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
eng_ch,

Second the Stockli's for edge hold. The Laser SC is very very good with an edge and the XL is not so far behind it considering they call it a free ride type ski. It is quite stiff and heavy although I didn't notice this as any bad thing at all. It will float well and the newer version is slightly softer so might be an even better off-piste ski. I hope it hasn't lost it edge here tho, in either sense of the world. I don't know why you are in Switzerland but check out Stockli's ski centres which have a very very good selection of lenghts and flex's.

Looking at your ski profle you might lack a bit of aggression for the Stockli's XL but they are definitley worth a try. You might just love 'em..!!

Don't know where the skis you have mentioned stand as regards the XL, sorry

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 21-11-05 19:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
eng_ch, I think that I ski at a smiliar level to you, height and weight similar, although I learned on straight skis. Due to use Atomic Balanze B9W this season for piste work, they have a reputation for good edge grip. If you are interested in Stockli's check out the Stormrider AT, it's somewhat lighter than the XL. I want to test some this winter, you may get there 1st Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Funnily enough I don't have an availability problem with Stoeckli - it's our local ski shop, they do a bloody marvellous job on the servicing front, and it's on the list to try! But I'm slightly wary that I might have to work harder than I want to, stamina isn't my strong point and the tireder I get, the worse my technique gets, the harder I work, the tireder I get.... I think anything wider than the AT would be a bit of a disaster given the tendency for European pistes to have boilerplate, either natural or "assisted" by bad snowboarders.

I succumbed and subscribed to the realskiers review site and according to that the Crossmax 8 is an intermediate at best ski, and with 3 seasons on them, it may well be that a more advanced ski with better edge hold will give me the confidence to do the steeper stuff more comfortably. At the moment I just feel like I'm within a gnat's whisker of sliding straight to the bottom.

Other than the Stoeckli, the other skis that are available locally to buy (but not necessarily to try first) are the Fischer and the Head.

Incidentally I'm in CH because we've lived here since 2000. And intend to stay Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy