Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
Thank you everyone for your kind words. I have read your really kind words. Thanks everyone. It is a tough time indeed. I head back to the UK on Monday for 10 days to get the funeral done and sort her house out then back into the thick of it for the season!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
the_dazzler wrote:
Hi all,

Will lifts still be working for skiing when the world cup downhill is on weekend 9/10th December?

That weekend its the Mens Slalom on the Face. The Women have their downhill to La Daille the following week / weekend. During all this period nothing is effectively affected apart from the red run from the top of Bellevarde to La Daille (there are other ways down). All lifts etc function totally as normal otherwise (and in the case of things like the Olympique arguably provide the best vantage points!)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sabaya wrote:
Hi all! Newbie here and getting ready for ski season in Val D with my husband!

Would you recommend buying the season pass online or better to just wait until we arrive on 2 Dec? We were thinking to buy in resort rather than risk any postal delays Smile

Any thoughts gratefully received!

Thanks!
Saba

Are you working in the resort? If so then get a Vie Val d'Is card and get a heavily discounted season pass. If not then just buy your pass when you get to town - price is the same!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Steve Angus wrote:
the_dazzler wrote:
Hi all,

Will lifts still be working for skiing when the world cup downhill is on weekend 9/10th December?

That weekend its the Mens Slalom on the Face. The Women have their downhill to La Daille the following week / weekend. During all this period nothing is effectively affected apart from the red run from the top of Bellevarde to La Daille (there are other ways down). All lifts etc function totally as normal otherwise (and in the case of things like the Olympique arguably provide the best vantage points!)

Thanks so much for your reply. Greatly appreciated!!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Steve Angus wrote:
Sabaya wrote:
Hi all! Newbie here and getting ready for ski season in Val D with my husband!

Would you recommend buying the season pass online or better to just wait until we arrive on 2 Dec? We were thinking to buy in resort rather than risk any postal delays Smile

Any thoughts gratefully received!

Thanks!
Saba

Are you working in the resort? If so then get a Vie Val d'Is card and get a heavily discounted season pass. If not then just buy your pass when you get to town - price is the same!

Not working so will just get the pass when we get there Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Steve Angus, I can't find anything online about the new La Daille centre commercial (apart from basic paragraph on valdisere.com), so my suspicious mind is leaning towards it isn't finished yet. It was a building site in the summer. How's it looking? Do you have any info on what's in there? Cheers, Doc.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dr John wrote:
@Steve Angus, I can't find anything online about the new La Daille centre commercial (apart from basic paragraph on valdisere.com), so my suspicious mind is leaning towards it isn't finished yet. It was a building site in the summer. How's it looking? Do you have any info on what's in there? Cheers, Doc.

Funny you said that. Think was last Thursday or Friday it was written up on the daily valdisere radio blurb (see there (new) website) for info. Anyway they basically said it’s way behind and internally it's OK but externally way behind. They hope to get it officially open for about mid December.

I'm now back in the UK for 10 days or so but looking at it yesterday b4 I go the extennal works have a long way still to go. Doh. I suspect things like the supermarket will be accessible via a boxed in walkway (for safety) type thing. We shall see.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Steve. Very annoying (but par for the course). Based in LD this season, typical.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Dr John, as well as general improvements, I think the main plan is to move the Restaurant TonTons onto the top floor into the ski shop space, the terrace and expanding the kitchens. The ski shop will then take all the ground floor space.

Hopefully it will generally improve the area as the whole centre was looking a bit tired. The Vanoise building should be getting it's environmental upgrades next year.

More concerning are the delays with the internal co-prop works inside the apartments which are running behind schedule. Hoping they get those finished before the season starts.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@sno trax, thanks for info. I would hope it's not just for the benefit of TonTons, given they have put a €6 million price tag on the works. As you say it was all a little tired and very inefficient in the use of space.

Do you know what facilities will be available from the off (i.e. next week)? Thinking specifically of Spar and the launderette as essentials.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sno trax wrote:
@Dr John,

More concerning are the delays with the internal co-prop works inside the apartments which are running behind schedule. Hoping they get those finished before the season starts.

Last season I stayed for 1 week in, I think, the Bellecote building. The lift entrance opposite my apartment door was boarded up, and to access it I had to take the lift to the floor above then walk some distance along the corridor. It was a similar trek in the basement to access my ski locker. This was not really acceptable.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Dr John, sorry, I don't know. As Steve said, I would expect the Spar to be open but not sure of the launderette. If it isn't open, there was a decent launderette just inside the Portillo building (next to Hibou) if it's still there.

I think the cost of the works was being covered by the businesses. We were regulars in TonTons last season (which is a pretty decent restaurant now) and one of the managers was telling us about the plans.

@john2, I'm not sure about Bellecote but I know that Valbel, Vanoise and Villaret are having the internal pipework replaced which is a big undertaking.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@sno trax, I'm in the Vanoise, guess I'll have to hope for the best. Cheers.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dr John, I expect the Spar to be open. It was certainly open over the summer despite the building works, but do check the sell by/ use by dates of anything you buy in the first few weeks as often stock has been sitting on the shelves since summer.
Nothing worse than flat tonic in my G&T.

We arrive in La Daille on Wednesday evening and it would be a bonus if Jami pizza had re-opened, if not a glass in wine in Hibou and a trip to Val pizza.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If all goes to plan I hopefully arrive Thursday afternoon next week for a few days. Just in time for opening weekend.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 21-11-23 18:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Friday next week for us
latest report
muppet wrote:

Nothing worse than flat tonic in my G&T.

If that's the worst, don't go drinking in West Africa. wink
latest report
@muppet, @sno trax, thanks for your advice. I've not stayed in LD for any length of time before. Is there a local evening watering hole (after Rosee Blanche has closed for the night), or is it all in town?
latest report
@Dr John, generally it's fine down there. Just be aware of the queue for the bus into town early morning before ski school starts and at kicking out time at the Folie.

Not much in the way if drinking after the Rosee closes. There was a bar in TonTons but not sure how that will be post refurb.

Otherwise, it's a quick bus into town which run every few minutes into the evening. For us it's either Hibou in the Portillo building or Blue Note (through the hidden doorway opposite the ESF office). Once the weather gets better, the Coin Des Amis in the town square has a nice vibe.

There are a few SnowHeads down in La Daille so you should get any questions answered. Steve Angus will start reporting back daily in a week or two. You'll probably spot me or Mrs ST walking our Boxer along the La Daille path or up on the Solaise.

Hopefully it'll be a good season.
ski holidays
@sno trax, ta. I’m well acquainted with Val, just not stayed in VD before. Will say hello if/when I see you.
snow conditions
A bit of sad news about a long term Val resident. Dave Carr (often known as ‘Old Dave’) had passed away. Dave who was originally from Fife had been a regular saisonaire in Val for over 30 years and been living there full time for about 12. A fearless skier, which belied his years, he was 87. Seeing him walking around town people would not realise his prowess on the snow and the stuff he would ski down. Dave was also a very accomplished golfer and windsurfer. For many years he maintained the electrics in Dick’s T-Bar and mingled with ‘beautiful’ people ther. He had many friends and acquaintances who had enjoyed trying to keep up with him over the years and will be greatly missed.
snow conditions
@Ski lots,

Was that Dave who was the "maintenance & building officer" with Bladon Lines in 1988 when J Yates Smith was the resort manager?

If I am correct then yes very sad news.
snow report
@welshflyer, before my time, but I think that is indeed the case.
snow conditions
@Ski lots,

I'll check with JYS.

I bumped into Dave last year for the first time in absolutely ages.

The "maintenance & building officer" or MBOs were nicknamed "muscle bound oafs" but Dave wasn't that, he was small and very practical. I believe he was a retired teacher. On my first trip to Val Dave had to fix the plumbing in my room because the Oxbridge university crowds had wrecked the hotel including the plumbing in my room.
snow report
Dave was indeed a small guy. He formerly worked in the university sector where he maintained the likes of radio telescopes! He ‘retired’ when he was 50. Mrs SL used to rib him about draining her and her colleagues pension fund.
ski holidays
Just catching up with the forum for the first time in a while.

Really sorry to read your sad news Steve, my thoughts are with you and the family. You’ve definitely had some tough times these past few years. I'm glad you still managed to enjoy your well-deserved holiday with the family though.

Loving the snowy views of Val, looks like it’ll be a fab start to the season!
snow report
@Ski lots, we skied with Dave back in 1991 when we did the Gros Caval glacier adjacent Aiguille Pers. Dave had booted it all the way up to the little corniche - first in - then at the critical moment, he lost his footing and slid gracefully down to the base - uninjured, he reinserted himself at the back of the group and we had a great ski down. I think we were with two Scots who worked the rigs - “no skanking on powder days!” Fair play - he led a good life.
snow conditions
Sounds like Dave, he never really complained (apart from about others) and just got on with it. He once took me to the Grapillon [sic]. I was amazed as we climbed up the back on snow and scree as he (23 years older than me) got further and further ahead of me. I resolved to go on a diet, but it didn’t make much difference. He took Mrs SL (before I met her) down Couloir No. 1. She was apparently a little hesitant, but all she could hear was Dave shouting “link your turns” and tutting.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi all! Was looking for some advice on whether the Thursday / Friday rain is likely to ruin a Saturday / Sunday / Monday ski trip from London to Val D & Tignes this weekend. Seeing lots of different reports! Too much of an effort for not so great conditions?
ski holidays
The Tignes thread has frequent weather reports from a resident. His recent post ended "Sunday should be fab-u-lous"

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=165539&start=280

There's also 150 snowheads arriving in Tignes Le Lac on Saturday. Come and say hi.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=164761
snow report
@samendacott, It’s been steadily snowing since about 10pm last night. Most of the forecasts said the rain/snowline would be around 2300m but so far here in Val it’s light fluffy snow.
snow conditions
Looks from webcams snowing down to brev. Son returning to Tignes today for reason so my personal snow reporter returns. 4.5 weeks to first trip of 3 to tignes.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 1-12-23 14:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
My son is heading to Val d'Isere right now. He should be out there until the end of the season.
latest report
HoneyBunny - thank you. Yes been a tough few years and the holiday was amazing yes thank you!
ski holidays
Its started

Well after 2 weeks away in 'another zone' mentally and physically I got back to Val with the family after the funeral about 0400 on Friday morning and as is usual at this time of the year it has gone from zero to 100 in a matter of hours! eeek.

So some tour operator avalanche talks ive been doing (yesterday and plenty more to come) but today was the main event with the lifts turning! The weather has been somewhat wintery as the photos show.

It was busy this morning as needed to get the kids (both of them) to the first day of Club for the Winter and all that that entails - carnage! No sooner were the kids being dropped off and I got my boots on as we (TDC) were having a season launch day which is basically a team ski, avalanche beacon practice session (and getting it logged for insurance purposes), lunch (which I could not do as needed to collect kids and take them home / back to Club) and then a formal meeting talking about the season and other boring paper pushing that always needs to be done at the start of the season!

The snow meanwhile was pretty decent although overall I think I would say 'lumpy' and 'scratchy'. Better than most for an opening day of the season snow wise but the weather could have been better as there was a stiff wind and the vis was varied to put it mildly..... tomorrow should be better!

Anyway there we go it has started again! To be honest it will take me about another week to really get mentally in the space and in the swing of things as I really am not ready but it is what it is!

My time back in the UK went as well as it could have gone in the circumstances but it was certainly hard saying goodbye to her house, memories and of course the funeral itself!

TTFN

snow report
Great snow but surprisingly busy

So the PSB finally got underway. It was an early (and cold start) getting over there. The road was OK though thankfully.

The slopes were surprisingly busy I must say but they were in good condition. Some freestyle, generally start of season brush up as well as some boarding for the final slot of the day.... phew it was a long day! It was also pretty cold (luckily it was sunny so there was some energy in the air during the middle of the day).

I got home and by time the car was away etc and kids sorted for bed it has ended up being the longest day! Im shattered. I think its catching up with me from my time back in the UK.

Anyway some interesting avalanche activity out there as you can see (also some bad accidents already on the slopes (avalanche wise) this weekend) so stay safe people.

TTFN

Pisteur triggered but nevertheless!!!!

Sorry not the best photo but a bad accident on the piste at 0930 this morning!
snow report
We witnessed 2 skier triggered slides today while stuck on lifts. Luckily they just got a huge fright.
I’m no expert but after 2 days of clearing snow around our building the snow layers are very apparent, it’s easy to guess when it rained a few weeks ago.

More important a hot chocolate at Marmottes out the machine has increased to €2.50
latest report
Quote:

More important a hot chocolate at Marmottes out the machine has increased to €2.50

Shocked
latest report
muppet wrote:

Is that the place at the bottom of borsat?
ski holidays
@doynie, yes
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy