Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Grand Massif 2011/2012 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt Fer a Cheval

Poster: A snowHead
Erm... we can't have this thread drop down to page 2 of snowheads.... thats just not on!

Looks like a relatively calm week ahead, lets hope it stays cold, one week today, I need perfect conditions please Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stevo_the_saddler, looking at Snowforecast http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Les-Carroz/6day/mid
it is looking cold but what i dont understand is the freezing level is rising to over 3000m on tuesday but the temps are still just around zero (at worst).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just back from 4 days in Samoens. Sadly v poor visibility all 4 days so not ideal but now the good news - the snow is immense. Snowed v heavy wed morning and all day thursday - powder everywhere. Links to flaine closed from samoens 3 out of the 4 days - got over there yesterday but v v thick white out made it tough. Due to brighten up this week so really should be perfect for those heading out. Spent the 1st 3 days lower down in les carroz - lovely in the bowl heading down to it. Saw at least 2 people lose their skis in the deep snow!!!! Don't know if they found them after all the digging!! All in all snow was super - shame about the weather!! Those heading out are in for a treat i think. V few queues but that to be expected i guess.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
invest, Thank you, just hope it doesn't warm up too much. So far this season its been brill....back out in another 12 days Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi, sorry to gatecrash, but I really want to go to this ski area and there are some great deals on apartments in Les Carroz on Crystal. I just have a question, is a a real faff to get from there to the main Flaine area? Especially as we will have a child who needs to get to ski school.... Is it worth paying the extra to get closer to the central area of Flaine itself? Going 10th March for a week.

Thanks in advance,
Clare
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Clare_M, Not a gate crash! Les Carroz is a great ski area in it's own right. It has ski schools of its own. I don;t know the layout that well, but others on here do, if you post the name of the accom, they will be able to tell you its location, but I am sure most is OK as the ski bus service is good. There is much more to the GM than Flaine - don't spend all your energies on getting there... LC, Samoens and Morillon are much prettier too! (and easier to get to!)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stevo_the_saddler, thanks for your reply. We're looking at self catering in either the Refuge du Golf, and Les Fermes du Soleil both in Les Carroz, but the Montsoleil in Flaine look good too. All have pretty good reviews, but the Montsoleil comes at a premium due to being right in the centre I think.

Thing is we have 2 non-skiers (my parents) who will be trying to keep my 2-year-old son happy during the day! So I want the accommodation to be not too far away from things to do, and preferably have a pool onsite or VERY close by.

We have looked down the DIY route, but feel it's a bit of a minefield with so many things to go wrong, especially with a child in tow, so a package may be the way forward. Have seen the Hotel Totem come up a few times for good money and reviews seem good for that - nearly went there last year, but went to Alpe D'Huez instead. It's coming down in price, but feel a hotel would be a bit restrictive, especially with my son wanting to eat his dinner at 5:30 usually - do they do sittings earlier for kids?

So many questions, thanks for your help guys x Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Clare_M, LC will be a better option for your parents (IMHO), Flaine is "all about skiing" and nothing else, LC has some life as a village too. Just my opinion.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Clare_M, Fermes de soleil has a pool on site, but if you are in chalets d and e you have to walk to it past the ice rink, so you might want to ask for a b or c when you book, however they are the older chalets, so not quite as smart.

To get to ski area you will need a bus that goes from road next to chalet c, or you can walk from chalets past spa (easy for food) up some steps into village square and catch bus from there, the walk is only 4 to 5 mins and all the buses go through the village square. When coming back just get on pres du bois bus, they are about every 10 to 15 mins.

As you walk into village square there is a little childrens playground on right (just past cinema) You are also right next to brand new nursery if you wanted such a thing.

pm me if you want anything else
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Clare - please note that the Refuge du Golf is actually in Flaine not Les Carroz. It's also quite away out with no direct ski in/ski out - it's a long walk or you can get the shuttle bus to Flaine Foret.
Les Fermes du Soliel is nice but it's also 800m away from the lift - you'll need to walk (uphill) or again catch the bus. Les Carroz does have the feel of a proper village though - traffic included.
Montsoliel in Flaine is also very good with the advantage of ski on/ski out even though it's outside the main Flaine centre. That said the buses run from outside, they run their own "on-call" mini bus service and it's not too far to walk. They have a pool and also run events during the week (eg marshmallows around the outside fire, magicians, etc)
The Totem is right by the centre of Flaine Forum and the easiest to get to from on and off the slopes. Can't comment on the accommodation or meals as I've never been inside.
IMHO I'd go with the Montsoliel but difficult choice as there's no perfect match
Looking elsewhere, have you thought about Les Arcs 1950? My neighbours took their 2 year old there last March with the grandparents & thought it was great - good facilities, safe pedestrian access and child care at the Caraboo Club when they wanted a break
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Clare_M, why don't you go to chalet de jouvance in les carroz? through peak retreats or direct through cgh, its on the slopes in les carroz and is ski in and out. Has pool and is very smart and about same prices as les fermes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Counting down the days, off to Samoens this friday, hopefully the snow will still be nice ;0)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bling1981, Watch out for a group of 4 "brummies" (though we are not from Birmingham, people will assume by our accents that we are!), we will be in Coveys or similar establishments after costuming much cheese beforehand Happy (There from Sunday onwards for a few days)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stevo_the_saddler, Brilliant will keep my eyes open, will also be consuming far too much cheese id imagine, typical Samoens style....tartiflette anyone? ;0)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Coveys looks good, meant to gothere last year but didnt in the end, Defo looks like a good place for a Guiness or two.
ski holidays
bling1981, Shane and John (the owners) are top blokes. Maybe see you in there... I will be carrying a copy of the financial times and wearing a red carnation in my lapel wink
snow report
Haha good work on the paper and carnation

Fingers crossed the snow stays good, looks like sun all week so melt and freeze cycle will defo be well set in. Hopeing for some snow this weekend/ early next week but not looking good for it. At least there is snow however ;0)
snow conditions
carroz, Thanks, have seen the Jouvance too, that's ski in, ski out? It's in the Crystal "Finest" range, so better be nice. It's a pain there's 6 of us cos someone is going to be sleeping in the lounge! Hope the rooms aren't too "friendly" LOL Wink
snow report
Clare_M, Hi yes its ski in and out into a heated boot room. It quite a bit smaller (40 apartments compared to over 100) than les fermes so the pool etc is less crowded.

You can get 3 bedroomed apartments, as someone in lounge makes it a bit awkward. They are larger than les fermes as well. It will be cheaper via the cgh website, then flights to geneva and a transfer (there are lots of transfer companies to choose from)
snow report
5th consecutive day of skiing completed. Conditions are superb. The first four days.... basically it snowed and snowed hard. With the exception of Thurs pm, however, the snow was dry and light down as far as the valley at 750m. As a result all the lower off piste around Morillon. Les C and Samoens was in great condition and the pistes were perfect...just as well because wind kept the links shut a lot of the time. I did venture up to Flaine once...had a friend staying who wanted to get there...and did the usual skiing blind experience that is Plattieres on a bad day.

Today dawned cold and clear. Loads of untracked powder under the vernant and Grand vans chairs. No rock in the gullies whatsoever. Up above Flaine there was loads of untracked on the many itineraries between the pistes. In particular the area around the closed Aup de Veran gondola was untouched. Very slight crust low down but still good. Highlights of the day were the snow in the gullies skiers left of the top of the DMC, skiing directly under the new high speed 6 man at Flaine and an interesting little route off the back of Plattieres returning to the corner of Mephisto sup.

For those coming out soon, I detected no deterioration in the snow as the day wore on and even on the south facing slope of the giffre valley, the trees are still snow covered just up from the villages. My thermometer is currently reading -3.2C at 720m at 925pm. Snow depths are excellent and pistes in perfect, hard pack free condition. This is still a very good start to the season. Having been here pre Xmas and for nearly a week now I have the impression that the snow has been drier and lighter than the stated temperatures would suggest...no idea why but apart from thurs pm last week....which reminded me of low standard Whistler snow.....it's been superb Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
ian999 wrote:
chrisheath

As per earlier bar discussions we re out on Jan 3. Will be online if you want to arrange a meet.

Ian

Will be in Bar de Savoie tomorrow after skiing for an hour....drinking a bucket of Hoegaarden with a big grin and my sunglasses on my head...assuming I haven't broken them. Also in sundry bars as the week goes on if tomorrow doesn't suit. Cheers Chris
ski holidays
chris heath

Could be good. Due to go to Coveys quiz at about 6.15 so could be in Savoie 5 ish -any good ?

Cheers

Ian
snow conditions
chrisheath, Arriving tomorrow mid afternoon in Samoens: Have 2 cases of Leffe Beirre Noel to quaff which were laid down before Christmas Embarassed
I'll try and pop round to say high. Plan very gentle post injury warm ups for the rest of the week Crying or Very sad

I'll PM chrisheath, stevo_the_saddler, if you fancy a small SH meeting?carroz, already has my details?
snow report
Hi,
I've been following this thread with keen interest (almost obsessively) as I am going to Samoens in just under 2 weeks. It's my first time to the GM and I'm so very excited. Very Happy
Anyways, the main point of this post was to say hello to everyone, and to say thanks for all the updates about the snow.
Kate
snow conditions
Katy83, Welcome to Snowheads - maybe more beers Saturday 22nd - it sounds as if Samoens will be SH central for a while Cool Cool
latest report
we are going out to flaine on the 21st staying at le totem so any SH about maybe have a drink or two x Very Happy
snow conditions
Thanks Jivebaby.

It does seem popular, which is encouraging. We arrive late afternoon on 22nd, so have got my fingers crossed for good conditions. Seems like we might be in luck too, with the posts so far.
snow report
Conditions in Flaine are amazing, spent all day riding powder all over the resort, sun shining what more could you ask for snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Katy83, Welcome to Snowheads - maybe more beers Saturday 22nd - it sounds as if Samoens will be SH central for a while Cool Cool
ski holidays
Clare_M, I guess I'm biassed but I think the skiing in the Flaine bowl is the best in the GM (full of open cruisers which I like) - but that's not to say the other areas are good in their own way. Certainly a trip from the top of Flaine, down the 14km Cascades (blue) run to Sixt (as low as you can normally get) then back to Samoens (short free bus ride) and up and over back to Flaine is a great trip. I also like the cross country route to Les Carroz when the snow's good. The area is not big on blacks or couloirs if you want that (but it would seem not).

Montsoleil is a newer high quality development just outside the upper part of Flaine (Foret) with its own pool but you have a walk a little way into Flaine (for your parents I mean, the skiing is lift served from close by). The hotel Totem is much more central but lacks the "class" of Montsoleil. Flaine is, indeed, architecturally ugly (concrete block apartment buildings) but Samoens, particularly, is delightful and Morillon / Les Carroz are more traditional ski villages.

The GM is a good family area and I always intend to return there - I suppose it lacks the range of the bigger French circuits but if you like cruising blues with a few decent reds thrown in, it's ideal. There's a new apartment block very close to the Foret access lifts which may be to your liking: Les Terasses du Veret. If you see any deals post back and I'll comment if I can.
ski holidays
Jivebaby wrote:

Damn you Clive.. just planning a trip out..... need to go to Alpe d'Huez, LDA, VDI, Les Arc, Tignes, Meribel, La Tania, Val Thorens, Chamonix, Morzine, Avoriaz, Verbier and of course the GM........ so was going to start south and work my way North.... now looks like I Might have to start North and work my way down!!

(BTW if anyone fancies a tour then I'll have plenty of spare seats)
latest report
I wanna go NOW!!!!! Can't wait until Sunday snowHead
latest report
marcellus, I'll be in Verbier Saturday 14th for a week and staying for the 21st Verbier Freeride day toooooooo....Cool Cool Cool Cool
snow conditions
Jivebaby, Hi, not in les carroz again until 21st, with other snowheads........ save some snow please!!
snow conditions
Clare_M, Stayed at the montsoleil (2009) and les fermes du soleil (2008) and this year going to chalets jouvence (on saturday if daughters passport turns up by then Sad ).
I will back up a lot of what has been said but will give my own view as my youngest was just turned three when we stayed in les fermes so i can give you an insight into the child aspect.
Les fermes, dont be put off by the bus or the small outdoor walk to the swimming pool. Pool is great as is the hammam. Certainly not walkable to the slopes from the chalet though.
Montsoleil, excellent standard but depending where you are situated the walk inside to the pool can be further than the outdoor walk at les fermes. Only ski in/out if you are not a beginner. Certainly a fair walk into Flaine itself, you wont just pop out to the shops. Skibus regular but not as regular as the ones in LC. The pool is outdoor and is deep all over. Inside you have a small warm plunge pool, certainly not for swimming if anyone else is in it. Careful walking back indoors from the pool, besides the cold, i slipped carrying my daughter and broke and split open my elbow. Complimentary minibus is handy.
Jouvence is ski in/out as long as the snow cover is good, should be fine when you are planning.
Friends stayed last year and were very impressed with it.
Overall i would recommend LC over Flaine especially with grandparents as it is a much nicer village.
Le Totem doesnt have a pool which crosses it off our list straight away.
latest report
ian999 wrote:
chris heath

Could be good. Due to go to Coveys quiz at about 6.15 so could be in Savoie 5 ish -any good ?

Cheers

Ian

Sorry was a bit late..courtesy of scrum down for the cascades bus. Did get there but decided against wandering the bar asking everyone...... Sorry for any inconvenience. Maybe you should nominate the next time/place. Around until Sun pm.
snow report
The snow is still great. Absolutely perfect on all the many n facing slopes. On the sunny slopes it's a bit heavier but I skied under the corbalanche chair this pm and it was perfectly good. Cascades is in great shape. Quite slick at the bottom as usual but no rock and until you get down to the bridge and right turn over the stream 3/4 of the way down the piste is really flattering. The scenery is stunning with trees laden with powder and the off piste to the sides of the upper half is perfect. Best snow today..... skiers right of the Chariande express and Gouilles chairs above Samoens. Few tracks, light powder, great views. 4 more days before my knees get a week off.....
ski holidays
any news on the conditions today in flaine getting soooo excited and dont go until 21st jan Laughing
ski holidays
Carla,

Can update you saturday, im flying out tomorrow, staying in Samoens but will defo be heading to flaine a fair bit....a week ahead of you on the excitement front, dont think im going to sleep too well tonight ;0)
snow report
bling1981, leave some for me, we arrive Sunday - Ski Monday-Weds, updates will follow.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy