Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Grand Massif 2011/2012 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt Fer a Cheval

Poster: A snowHead
The secret to Cascades (if it's open) is at the top to absolutely straight line everything that way you can just get up the rollers and stand and wait for any friends do don't straight line it.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Been here in Flaine since the 21st - should have posted earlier but the wifi has been playing up - needed the IT guys to be back at work to fix it
Great snow over this time and some great skiing - some brilliant blue sky days as well
Have to say I agree with carroz that the last two days have been a nightmare with crowds & out of control skiers
(thanks to the Scottish idiot that took out my youngest yesterday - it's not just a locals problem - if any SH's are in the GM and know a 18/19 year old lad in a red jacket, please give him a further blasting from me)
That said, it does seem to be a problem coming from outside Flaine
Today has been bliss - the new snow & poor visibility higher up has kept the crowds (and idiots) away
Pity anyone stuck with them in Carroz, Samoen, etc (sorry carroz, Sarah) but here's hoping there's more of the same tomorrow
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cascades is a great run to do for the scenery and for the "away from it all" feel....esp in busy weeks and, in my experience, Xmas week is the busiest in the GM area...worse than Feb half term. However from a purely skiing point of view Cascades is only an average run. In all but really slick icy conditions you still need to skate some of the first part to avoid walking. The upper middle is more interesting with a few powder opportunities to each side (when it won't have been icy for that slow first part). It then gets very flat again in the middle particularly as it enters the plateau below the refuge. The bottom is not snow sure. It can be very fast and icy...great if you like that sort of thing.... or thrown up into slush moguls if its warm...or rocky..or a combination of the above. If you do it at the moment (assuming it's open) then allow enough time to do the Sixt area skiing which is surprisingly interesting in good conditions.

If you can manage a black then the Gers bowl is a better way down and links by a sporting track to the refuge and thence the lower cascades. For those with a sense of adventure, a Samoens area IGN map and a transceiver plus some equally errant skiing mates, there is a great mini tour that 1/3 of the way down the cascades and cuts off left. It leads to a great N facing powder face, a very short climb to a pylon, another powder face/traverse and then a wide, red pitch gully through the trees that comes out right next to the refuge. It is marked in blue dashes on the IGN map and is also in the local ski touring book. It takes just over an hour from the cascades assuming stops for photos etc etc.

Currently stuck in the UK but am eyeing this weekends snowfall with glee as we arrive next Weds evening for 11 days. Beer in Samoens anyone?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for all the info regarding Cascades, looking at the piste map Gers definatley looks like an option for me, allthough im due some straight line practise on the board (one of my week points) A freshly waxed board may help me glide a little faster.
I guess it may be good to check i can get back to cascades so i dont have to try my luck on the gers drag, but to be fair ive never had problems with fast or dodgy drag lifts but it looks like a long drag back up ;0)

two weeks and counting...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It is a long drag lift with the usual warning signs, steep in parts and an interesting dog leg............... You definitely wouldn't want to walk up more than the last few metres!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible / sensible to ski off piste from pointe d'arbaron to sarbotte piste? My friends and I are staying in refuge du golf and getting onto sarbotte looks possible and we're thinking of giving it a pop. Has anyone actually done it though?

Cheers, Dan
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chrisheath

As per earlier bar discussions we re out on Jan 3. Will be online if you want to arrange a meet.

Ian
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
danmcc12, Up and until a couple of days ago arbaron was no go, rotten crusty snow, but you will need a guide.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
December 30th

Fantastic day, loads of falling snow, rather cold in the wind and snow is horizontal! stayed in les carroz and played in waist deep in places stuff in the trees, and under gondola / chairlifts. The trees.......... well just magic is the word.......... pleased i have a helmet however

Still busy on piste but less so, just was not on it most of the time.

snow is brilliant, just brilliant.............why do i have to go home after skiing tomorow, oh well ........back in 3 weeks. Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Agree with carroz. Loads of snow today. Woke up to what must have been 6-8 inches in samoens village. Was blowing a gale and blizzards at 1600 as reported by our friends who took their child up first thing so we stayed down. Early afternoon spotted a break in the cloud and headed up, lovely! Must have been almost 2 feet of fresh snow up there!! Though much colder and still very busy Evil or Very Mad Probably due to the fact that all the links were closed due to winds. Also some pistes closed due to avi risk. Forecast is for a warm front bringing rain tomorrow. Still at least the crowds will go and we will have two quiet days snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So today's forecast was 'maussade' and it certainly was Skullie It poured down with rain all day long in Samoens village and by the afternoon it was raining up to around 1700m Sad The OH went up for one run and came back down, said it was grim. I was stuck in with a vomiting child, at least he picked a good day to be sick Laughing and he's fine now.

Forecast is for clearer skies tomorrow and possibly a bit of sun in the afternoon, fingers crossed.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Going out on the 28th to visit the in-laws - hoping like mad the snow holds for us!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Last day for 3 weeks........ 31st dec (sorry bit late! just driven 700 miles! now in very wet Brittany)

Falling snow as walked out to lift at 9.00am, but quickly turned to rain, which by 2.00pm was rain at the top of the gondola

Tried some easy off piste off side of l'oasis to start with and it was soooo heavvvvy, so decided to do on piste most of day and did my off piste skis flap alot!

Was snow at top of tete des saix, but vis was a bit duff and the snow was still very heavy

managed 5 hours that was pretty miserable, even my hestra gloves gave up...and that is when i gave up. ......no queues...wonder why???

up to someone else to do this now....back in 3 weeks.....

Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
carroz, great reports - much appreciated by those of us awaiting our turn... snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The snow is still holding up in Flaine and (just) kept going for most of Saturday
Definitely not as good quality as Friday
Needed chains to drive down to Sallanches yesterday.
It was still snowing as far as Carroz where it was very wet
Visibility also very poor but a much better day today
ski holidays
Great day today snowHead Mild actually felt quite warm around midday, lots of sunshine this afternoon. Great snow, bit springlike though today, bit heavy, but not complaining after yesterday's washout! Had a great day around Morillon today, nice pistes better condition than Samoens and less busy today.

That's us done now til half term when I will be switching to the PDS thread.
latest report
[quote="ian999"]chrisheath

As per earlier bar discussions we re out on Jan 3. Will be online if you want to arrange a meet.

Ian[/quote

Sounds good. Will drop you a line once we're there. Out with 2 separate pairs of friends. Thursday looks like it's going to be another great powder day judging by the forecasts
latest report
chrisheath

See you next week.
snow report
Left it very wet and warm this morning, really saw the full range of weather conditions this past week.
snow report
whats the current snow conditions in flaine keep getting mixed reviews. going out there on the 21st jan with little ones and 4 adults never been before so any advise would be much appreciated. We have booked the young ones into ski school so cant venture too far as have to be back by lunch to collect them

many thanks in advance

carla Very Happy
ski holidays
carla4221, what accommodation are you in? as this will make a lot of difference to some advice people will offer.
The three hours while the kids are in school is enough time to get pretty much anywhere in the GM and back (except maybe sixt).
latest report
Hi sorry staying at hotel le totem in flaine
snow report
carla4221, Whatever the weather conditions are now will be completely Irrelevant!!

As for how far you can get in your 3 hours whilst children are at ski school as others have said you'll be able to get to pretty much anywhere in thr GM and have a play.... But i would suggest you agree what you're doing before you drop the little darlings off........ If you drop them off and then spend half an hour studying the map, having a coffee before you decide and then keep looking at the map at every lift it will seriously limit you ski time. Don't underestimate how long you can lose............. I can get from the top of the DMC (main cable in Flaine) to the bottom of the Les Carroz gondola in half an hour (and often did so i wasn't late for client pick up) but knew if i was out with clients who wanted to choose their route then i should allow at least an hour and a half and had known it to take over two hours when with people who really faff!!!
snow conditions
thanks. my oh likes to study piste maps so will give him the job of planning the night before.
snow report
carla4221, best left to breakfast so he can assess the conditions and then decide where would be most suitable Wink

(if cloudy head for Les Carroz, if windy watch lifts to Carroz, Morrillon and Samoens and head for the more protected side of Flaine (whichever that is))
snow report
carla4221, I will be there from the 14th Jan so will try and keep the conditions updated on here. Although so much else to do and my wife thinks i am obsessed enough as it is.
The ski school drop off point is right by the Grand Vans, which is the main lift out of the Flaine bowl and from the top of it you can access all areas so you can be on your way quickly to the other sectors. Obviously the return is the critical part so be aware the sole run back into flaine is busy and depending on conditions can be quite unpleasant for the less experienced at the last part of the run. N.B. I think this run might have been remodelled since i last went but you need to check it out so there are no suprises.
snow report
Conditions still good in Flaine - more snow today
Can't comment on the rest of the GM but not great earlier in the week
Agree with Marcellus - you can easily get anywhere and back in the GM from Flaine within 3 hours
Just watch the weather as you'll be stuck if you're outside the Flaine bowl and the connecting lifts close - eg Grand Vans shuts in high winds
Should be quiet around 21st Jan so I wouldn't worry about queues or the runs being busy
latest report
many thanks for all your replies. Does the wether tend to change quite quickly then or is it ok if I keep my eye on the local forecast when there
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ianbradders, The blue back to flaine is still seriously yuk at times, not remodelled, there is just a more direct red that is sometimes open at the base of it.

carla4221, Getting out of flaine tends to be faster than getting back. The lifts to tete des saix from les carroz or morillon are rather slow old chairs, samoens express chair is the only fast one. The links tend to be shut all day rather then close half way through the day.
latest report
carla4221, Wind is the determining factor with the links closing. As others have said, you really should be able to do most of the GM in the time you have (with the exception of Sixt - so don't head down Cascades unless you are a speed merchant and want to panic whilst waiting for the bus Happy)

The GM has lots of varied terrain, and whilst elaine has the most "Motorway" pistes, Samoens, Morillon and Les Carroz have lots of variety (plus some trees!) and are well worth checking out. There are unlikely to be any queues anywhere - you should get straight onto every lift during January, thats usually the case - perhaps with the exception of the bottom lifts in Morillon which can get busier if conditions are good.

As others have said, the run back to Flaine under the Grand Vans can be horrible (only the last bit) when busy... but it won't be busy, so should be OK.
latest report
Heading to Flaine on Saturday

Can anyone suggest which runs are best to head to on Sunday to enjoy any remaining powder close to the piste from today's storm

I understand that rock cravases are a danger in the Flaine bowl so just looking for areas we can explore close to the piste in relative safety of course baring in mind the avalanche risks ect.

snooow excited snowHead
latest report
harri20000, Lower down in Flaine (Tree line and below), but to be on the safe side - head to Samoens, Morillon or Les Carroz and enjoy knowing you are a bit safer*

* I am not responsible if you fall down a crevasse elsewhere snowHead
snow report
We went to Flaine from 17th -24th December, and there was loads of snow and great conditions - ski to all the hotels. Main problem was that it was still snowing a lot, but we had a couple of decent bright days too. View and the long runs from the Grandes Platieres are superb. Aup De Veran lift was closed due to structural damage. We did see a big avalanche off piste near the Axinite run probably triggered by afternoon sunshine and the fresh powder snow is to be treated with caution.
snow report
harri20000, Towards the bottom of Serpentine / Cristal on your right (going down...) is a natural half-pipe which you can have fun on, just off the side of the piste and finishing at the cafe. Have fun snowHead
snow report
What's the weather been like today in the GM? Loads of snow and wind?
ski holidays
harri20000, Straight under the aup de veran old gondola is usually ok, follow gondola line until reach piste, or just go to gers, if you can cope with the drag coming back. If you go out of the flaine bowl and go up Grand Vans, go left from the lift and go under vernant lift is ok, entertaining couloir under lift at the end. Then up Corblanche to tete des saix, the blacks down to samoens usually have good snow as they face north, the bowl under corblanche is usually not nice pretty quickly as it faces south.

Also from Tete des Saix to the left of the chamois red is good fun, and you can go back up l airon chair and do it again if it is.
ski holidays
Thanks for the advice everyone really appreciate it.

Another question.

Can anyone recommend a guide for hire to take my group properly off piste ? if we are to really go for it want to do it properly Very Happy

Cheers Smile
ski holidays
harri20000 wrote:
Thanks for the advice everyone really appreciate it.

Another question.

Can anyone recommend a guide for hire to take my group properly off piste ? if we are to really go for it want to do it properly Very Happy

Cheers Smile

Try Fred (Prieur-Blanc) highly qualified guide, excellent teacher and all round good bloke

http://www.montagneactivites.com/indexa.html
latest report
Does anyone know what lifts were open and closed today? Heading there tomorrow and be good to know what the story was today - not much on the grand massif website to go off! Thanks
ski holidays
Alex SWeekender, Moulins(4) & Gron(3) were the only chairs running in Carroz. This was due to a power shortage in the area which as far as I know is still not fixed.
This is the statement from Les Carroz website at 11am:

INFO DOMAINE SKIABLE DU 6 JANVIER 2012 THE SKI AREA INFO January 6, 2012
Following the storm that night, trees fell on the line supplying some areas with a gondola, chair lift and the area of Molliets Plein Soleil. EDF is currently involved, we do not know at the time we give you this information when these facilities can work again. We will keep you informed.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy