Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hokkaido, Japan 2011/2012

Poster: A snowHead
Looks like I need to get myself to Japan....
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
aggh - looks like I picked the wrong year to go last year at Xmas. Ah well, it's not like it was bad, but serious dumps came literally the day after we left!

video at http://gortonator.wordpress.com/2011/11/10/nearly-new-ski-season-time-for-new-videos/
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's been a good week so far, with snow coming down every day, over a metre in total Monday-Thurs. Great for the skiing, not so good for my arms, having to shovel the car out every morning.

IMG_1205

Have been having great fun at the nighta at our local ski hill. Dusted off the snowboard for the first time last night.

IMG_0116

Today I finished work early and went for a little tour. The snow cover is perfect now, with no sasa poking through, meaning most areas are accessible if you're so inclined. We live in a great spot in a range of valleys with low but steep hills around us. Perfect for heading out on little adventures.

IMG_1212

More snow to come Fri/Sat/Sun. Heaviest I think on Saturday - another great weekend coming up!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
OK, I know that Hokkaido snow reports can often be prone to a little hyperbole, but honestly, today I think the town where I live has had some of the heaviest snow ...(Clarkson style pause)... in the world.

It was incredibly localised too. I was working about 20km from home, and was in clear blue sky. This photo is looking back towards the storm.

IMG_1213

Coming back into town, the amount of snow that has fallen in about 4 hours is astonishing. I took a few pics driving in, there are the Streetview images for comparison

IMG_1220
rt 12

and

IMG_1223
rt12 2

And I had to park somewhere else when I got home. This is my drive, which was cleared about 4 hours ago.
IMG_1225
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MagSeven,great pics, you will be as fit as a butchers dog if you have to keep moving that much snow Cool bring on feb Cool Cool Cool
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I already am pretty fit as I've been training for the Tokyo Marathon in Feb. This snow is stopping me from training outside though, so its been dull running on the treadmill. Touring is a fun alternative! Shovelling snow, less so!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MagSeven, Very Happy good luck with the marathon,i know what you mean about treadmill running, i have been building for up a half marathon and try to run for the duratation of a good ski movie on the treadmill to keep me going !!!, but would probably need a whole series of 24 to run a full marathon !!
we have 5 days in tokyo when we are out in feb , what can we expect the weather/temps to be like in the city at that time ???
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Neilski wrote:
we have 5 days in tokyo when we are out in feb , what can we expect the weather/temps to be like in the city at that time ???

Was in Tokyo just before the earthquake this year for a few days. Was generally cold - low single digits celcius - clear and sunny. Think that's fairly typical for the time of year as it's in the rain shadow for the winter stroms
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thebongolian, cheers , thats what we reckoned , but as we are shipping our ski gear from resort to resort didnt want to get caught out in the cold, so will keep jackets with us Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We've had snow every day for at least the past two weeks now. As expected, today was great skiing. Consistent low temperatures, so we've got deep and dry powder, and it just keeps coming. Couple of shots from today off piste at Teine.

IMG_0122
IMG_0132
IMG_0126

Photo from the car driving home this evening. The snow continues!

IMG_0136

The early season has been awesome, 18 days for me so far. This'll be the last update from me for a couple of weeks. I'm off to Vietnam for the winter break. I'm sure once MikePow arrives the coverage will continue (and the quality of the photos will improve significantly!) I'm home January 5th and will be down in Niseko a few times in early Jan. Hope to catch some of you once you get out here!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
MagSeven, great pics, have a great time in vietnam Cool
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You've been stoking the fire very very well. Thanks.

Can't wait to be skiing on Hokkaido.

Have a great time in Vietnam and see you in Niseko.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm posting on behalf of a friend who runs Japan Powder Tours based out of Moiwa, Niseko.

He is offering $200 off tours currently, more details here: http://powderbible.com/2011/12/15/200-off-japan-powder-tours/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As of Monday 19 December 2011

419 cm (165") so far at village level in Hirafu, Niseko Resort Area (approx 300m asl)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
MagSeven, thanks for ensuring my excitement levels are outrageously high. Can't wait to get out there in January. That and the snowfall total being up to 450cm snowHead
ski holidays
As of Saturday 24 December 2011

44 cm dump overnight

http://360niseko.com/blog/snow-report_2011-12-24/

515 cm (203") so far at village level in Hirafu, Niseko Resort Area (approx 300m asl)
snow report
The way things are tracking Niseko is going to get well over 6m for December... can't wait for the real snowy months to get here!!

The Japan Meteorological Agency tagged this as the best start to a season in 50 years - and that was two weeks ago - fingers crossed these systems just keep lining up and delivering for us.
latest report
I really did pick the wrong year to go last year ;(

Enjoy!!
ski holidays
Having a very un snowy Christmas in Hanoi. Facebook is full of posts from people back in Hokkaido getting pounded by a huge snowstorm. Sounds like the winds are very strong though. Itching to get back!!
snow report
As of Wednesday 28 December 2011

618 cm (243") so far at village level in Hirafu, Niseko Resort Area (approx 300m asl)
ski holidays
Mike Pow wrote:

618 cm (243") so far at village level in Hirafu, Niseko Resort Area (approx 300m asl)

Impressive.

That is more than the average Alpine resort gets in an entire 7-month season from Nov to May.
latest report
Indeed.

And in the 5 winters I've been involved with the Niseko Resort Area the average snowfall for January is 494 cm

Here's to a normal start to 2012 Shock
snow report
Mike Pow wrote:

Cool I'm there in a week
ski holidays
thebongolian Madeye-Smiley

If it's dried up by the time we're out there I'll be pretty unhappy!
ski holidays
ChrisWo, I'm 99.9% sure you're pretty new skis won't have to worry about scraping rocks...
ski holidays
Don't worry.

There's a ridiculous amount of snow here.

And more on the way
latest report
Is anyone going to be in Niseko over Chinese New Year? Can't wait!
ski holidays
beanie1, I'm avoiding Chinese New Year (23rd Jan?) this year, but might be around towards the end of that week if you're looking for people to ski with (haven't decided where on Hokkaido to head yet). From the sounds of things there will be quite a few snowHead around this year again though!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beanie1, I'm out for Jan and Feb so will probably be around for Chinese New Year. May get a car round then and do a bit of a road trip though hooking up with ChrisWo and his missus
snow report
To all on this thread - あけましておめでとうございます! (Happy New Year!)

Would love to meet up with anyone coming to Hokkaido, be it for a beer in Sapporo or some turns at Niseko, Rusutsu, Teine, Kamui or Asahidake. (PM me for my cellphone + mobile email info)

This winter should be a good'un!
snow report
MagSeven, Happy new year to you Cool Cool I am out to annupuri niseko first week in march will pm in 2012 Toofy Grin I am so looking forward to the chance to ski some of the deep stuff snowHead
snow report
Today was very enjoyable in Niseko. Lots of a knee deep powder to be found and not too much difficulty finding untracked stuff. Flying solo so no photos.
snow report
Great snow the past few days. I've been up at Asahikawa this weekend. Hit Kamui Ski Links on Saturday. Fresh snow on Friday night, so we had knee deep pow, and probably slightly deeper over the back. I've got a mate over from the UK at the mo, so we've been pushing ourselves and making the most of soft landings!

goody3
backie

Today was a beaut up at Asahidake. Only a dusting overnight, but the gorgeous bluebird day more than made up for it. The views were incredible across the valley, Furano in the distance

The main runs were fairly tracked, so we mainly trekked over to skiers left of the ropeway and hit the lines along that ridge. A great day!

Tomorrow we're heading south to Rusutsu, and then Niseko Tuesday.
snow report
great pics , looks like fun wink
snow conditions
Fabulous, Great skills
ski holidays
Hi knowledgable Niseko folk Smile

Are there ATMs in resort where my UK bank card will work?? trying to work out how much cash to bring for 8 days skiing!

Oh and what are folks view on hiring a guide for a day, we are based in Niseko. Will a guide get me a lot more out of the area???

Cheers,

greg
ski holidays
kitenski, loadsa loadsa money Toofy Grin yep plenty of atm's , best to inform your bank in the uk you will be making regular withdrawls from japan snowHead

i have been recommended niseko adventure centre for BC guiding by people in annupuri village , but there are many other options

Shinsetsu Mountain Guides
http://smguides.net/

Hokkaido Powder Guides
http://hokkaidopowderguides.com/

recommended by mike pow

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 8-01-12 18:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Neilski, define loadsa would ya!!! What are you budgeting per day??

I am sure there are good guide companies there, the question is wether to use them or not!! I guess it depends on how much good snow we can find on our own....
ski holidays
kitenski, probably twice what i would budget in austria , so in round terms of lunch and dinner out and about plus beer tokens about 15000 yen/£125 pppd inc incidentals ???

on the guiding front , i am definatly going to do a couple of guided backcountry days to get away from the madding crowds, suppose it depends on when you are there , if at peak time think things would get tracked out quickly, but if quiet then i reckon if the snow is falling then fresh tracks will be avialable striaght off the lifts all day without to much hassle.although i allways think local knowledge can save a lot of wasted time if youve never been before.

when you going out ???
ski holidays
kitenski, there was one international ATM in Niseko last winter. It may have changed. It worked reliably for us tho. Also one in Kutchan, I think.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy