Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hokkaido, Japan 2011/2012

Poster: A snowHead
beanie1, lol cheers, have bought a facemask and got my down gillet ready Wink
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
beanie1, I have noticed you are Hong Kong based. I am due to relocate there very shortly. Was thinking about skiing options once there. Now and again I hear about ambitious plans for various ski resorts in mainland China. Have you ever been? Do you have any views on where best to go if based in Hong Kong?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oleg, I haven't been to China yet. I believe it's a growing industry there, but currently fairly basic. Japan seems to be the best closest option, or there is also some in S. Korea. Europe is not too bad either in terms of travelling distance - get a Friday night flight and you'll be in resort by mid-afternoon on the Saturday.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Damn it's been cold this week! Snow the past few days in Niseko sounds like its been great. Less of it up here, but still not too bad. Heading down to Rusutsu for the day tomorrow so will report back on conditions there.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's been cold all winter!

-15 C at Kiroro yesterday.

Warmed up today though. -5 ish at Grand Hirafu.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
just under 48 hours till I leave, hope the snow keeps falling...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mike Pow,
Quote:

Warmed up today though. -5 ish at Grand Hirafu.

Seriously? My group all felt it has got progresively colder throughout the week... Today i couldn't really manage more than 3 runs at a time before needing a de-frost break.

Gear tips for next season would be appreciated! I currently wear Skins, thermals, running t shirt, fleece, Arcteryx soft shell and then hard shell. I'm thinking a down mid layer is the way forward?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
beanie1, -20 in Switzerland last year I wore 2 x long sleeve thin merino layers with a fleece on top of that and an Arcteryx hard shell on top...... I have packed (or will be) a down gillet
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
beanie1, thanks!

How about the States/Canada? Do you know if there is a good local operator?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski, iwould freeze in that! i hate the cold!

Oleg, I know people who ski in N. America from HK but it's a seriously long way, Europe is closer and better from a time difference perspective.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
beanie1, do you have your wrists covered at all and a decent hat/helmet?? My missus also feels the cold and has found sweat bands over the wrist helps,,,,,
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski, no i don't have my wrists covered, other than with gloves / sleeves - will give that a go! I wear a helmet. WHat i find an issue is the neck warmer - it is wet within about 15mins in the snow, then is next to useless! Someone needs to invent one with a waterproof outer layer.

It is so cold here that I avoid any runs with a straight section / schuss - the cold is too painful and makes me feel sick. Sad
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
beanie1, she also likes the base/mid layers with thumb holes as they also cover the wrist area where the veins come close to the skin...

What's making the snow melt in order for your neck warmer to get wet?? I use turtle fur types and they haven't (to me) got so badly wet, but I've never experienced Japanese powder before
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski, warm breath on the snow i guess! It falls so heavily that the neck warmer turns white pretty quickly. Everyone fround here looks like a snowman!

THe positive is that skiing amongst the trees in the powder is about the warmest place you can find. Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
beanie1, you have made a very good point about the distance there. For some reason I assumed North America is closer from there, but had a look at the map and sure enough you are absolutely right HKG to LAX 14 hours 35 minutes - could be an excuse for a stop over in Hawaii though Wink One week skiing and the next chilling out on a beach...
ski holidays
Oleg, no, it's further, and NY evern worse - about 18hrs. Plus the time difference is 15 hours + , so tough to go for a week.
ski holidays
beanie1, where in particular in Japan would you recommend? I am thinking big enough to make it last/exciting for the whole week. Perhaps I am being naive here, maybe all the main resorts are huge...
latest report
Growing up in HK my first few ski trips with my family were flying over the Pacific to Vancouver. A hell of a long flight, I remember the tiredness and jetlag were brutal. Would have been much better to head up to Japan, but it really hadn't been promoted to international tourists in those days.

Oleg, there's more than enough to keep you entertained in Japan. There are 600 odd ski resorts across the country. The best known being Niseko and Hakuba. You certainly won't get bored at either!
snow report
Oleg, I"m currently in Niseko and can thoroughly recommend it. The snow is awesome, powder every day.
ski holidays
Day 40 for the winter today for me, and what a day it was. Headed to Rusutsu with Mrs Magseven and met a few friends there. There had probably been around 20-30cm through yesterday and overnight, but today the sky was a gorgeous blue and stayed that way all day. The snow was great, the weather was great, Rusutsu was empty, faceshots in the trees all day. One of those days that's impossible to get the smile off your face! Well worth the long drive to go there and back for the day. A couple of action shots:

IMG_0565

IMG_0567

The views were gorgeous. It was a day of pinching ourselves and reminding ourselves how lucky we are to live in this amazing place!

View down to Lake Toya
IMG_1474

View over towards Lake Shikotsu, which can't be seen. But Eniwadake, Tarumae-zan, and Fuppushidake can just about be made out which are the 3 mountains which tower over the lake.
IMG_1480

View of Yotei and Niseko. It looked like the clouds rolled in to cover Niseko in the early afternoon, so I guess it started to snow over there later in the day?
IMG_1475

As we drove back through Sapporo it seemed there had been a decent amount of snow, and it was still snowing. So we'll head out tomorrow for some touring in the Teine backcountry.
ski holidays
Oleg, I'm also Hong Kong based, and am about to do my 5th trip to Niseko in as many seasons. I'm pretty keen to check out Korea and the emerging scene in China, but frankly I would never do those places at expense of missing out on an annual trip to Niseko. I would only do them in addition to Niseko. While both CHina and Korea offer significantly cheaper skking and an interesting experience overall, the stats of those resorts and the anecdotal reports of them from firends simply don't compare to Niseko.

For me personally, there's more than enough at the four Niseko resorts to keep me happy for a week, and there's three resorts within an hour's drive.
latest report
MagSeven, yup clouds rolled in about 2:30 and it very quickly started snowing after that.
ski holidays
Sorry - I forgot to post this a few days ago - I climbed the Weisshorn the other day with my wife and a friend. Mellow terrain but epic scenery.

http://powderbible.com/2012/01/21/tr-climbing-the-weisshorn-hokkaido-20112/
ski holidays
A little video from my skiing in Niseko up to Jan 23

japan mmxii - part i from Will Armitage
http://vimeo.com/35792110

Since then ChrisWo and I have been in central Hokkaido - Furano, KAmui, Ashidake - some good skiing but nothing to compare to the deepness it sounds like Niseko has been getting. Anyway it's Rusutsu today then back to Niseko.
ski holidays
Great pics MagSeven.

Love the vid thebongolian.
snow report
Had a great day around the whole Niseko area. A lot of tracked out areas but still some good turns to be had.

Best run of the day was when we bootpacked above gate 3 to the top of Annapuri and then ran down to Hanazono.

A small bit of skiing on this section to show the snow conditions. Disclaimer: This is not me. I was right behind David.

http://youtube.com/v/0o5kTdCz0z4&feature=plcp&context=C39f33a7UDOEgsToPDskKjXmU2nLTE4yBN-clD61FY
snow report
Was absolutely puking from around midday onwards at Teine today. I imagine tomorrow will be a great day to hit any of the Sapporo/Otaru area hills.

thebongolian, nice video. Look forward to seeing more! Shame you didn't get the best snow up in central Hokkaido. Hope you enjoyed the trip though. Missed you by a day at Rusutsu!

Will be in Niseko next weekend, 4th/5th, probably riding mostly by myself. If anyone is around and free, would be great to meet and make a few turns!
ski holidays
MagSeven, I think you got the best of Rusutsu - we had a fun day, but found the place reasonably tracked and pretty busy (probably didn't help that it was something like the Hokkaido qualifiers for the Japanese junior ski teams...hundreds of kids in some of the most outrageous ski suits I've ever seen hurtling about the place). Possibly we've just been spoilt by a couple of visits to Kamui - if that's your local hill then you're a lucky lucky guy. Madeye-Smiley

Anyone skiing in or around Niseko for the rest of the week feel free to say hi if you spot 3 geijin in green jackets mooching around the slopes! snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thebongolian wrote:
A little video from my skiing in Niseko up to Jan 23

japan mmxii - part i from Will Armitage
http://vimeo.com/35792110

Since then ChrisWo and I have been in central Hokkaido - Furano, KAmui, Ashidake - some good skiing but nothing to compare to the deepness it sounds like Niseko has been getting. Anyway it's Rusutsu today then back to Niseko.

Good effort, dude.
snow report
MagSeven, beanie1, Ordinary_Skiier, thanks for the information. Japan it will be!!! The photos look amazing. Surprising how different the scenary is from the Alps.
ski holidays
Oleg, when do you move to HK? Let me know if you'd like to meet up for a beer!
snow report
ChrisWo and I spent a few days in central Hokkaido. No real fresh snowfall but managed to get fresh track today.

Furano required a bit of work thanks to the strict policy against skiing off-piste, the tight trees and many creeks we kept encountering nonetheless there were patches:

Me finding some good snow in the Furano trees (photo by ChrisWo)

We then spent a day at Kamui which was really chilled out but bloody cold. No good photos from that day.

Friday was Asahidake. A stunningly beautiful place and maybe 40 people max skiing or boarding - so fresh tracks every run - and a chilled out vibe with the cable car only running every 20 minutes and lots of Japanese guys on powder boards and skis. Found the mountain slightly odd and surprisingly flat (though we didn't do any hiking above the top of the cable car). We did quite a bit of exploring, some of which went well and some of which didn't including skiing through a hot spring source.

Chris shortly after a tree incident

Me in a particularly scenic spot

Chris tries to figure out how we get back to the base station

Then it was back to Kamui. I really liked the place. The infrastructure is a little aged but the vibe is chilled and they're very happy with you skiing off-piste - so much so that they put up signs saying where you have to traverse to get back to the lifts having ducked their ropes. The lift tickets are fairly cheap and they sell awesome steamed buns for ¥100 a pop.

Me somewhere in the Kamui trees (photo ChrisWo)

Next day was Rusutsu. Sadly MagSeven and his mates seem to have skied it all out wink

Then today was back to Niseko. Beautiful sunshine most of the day and good turns to be found on the north face. Then the clouds rolled in and now it's snowing snowHead

Chris takes in the view from the peak
snow report
beanie1, we are booked on this Friday night's flight out of London, so should be arriving on the 4th Feb. Would be good to grab a beer. Will give you a shout once we are there and settled a bit.
snow conditions
thebongolian, very nice pics! Put of interest what camera are you using? Amazing clarity!
latest report
Sorry meant to say 'Just out of interest...' and not 'Put of interest...' Not sure what was going through my head there...
ski holidays
Great update thebongolian
snow report
Oleg, I'm using a Pentax K7 SLR. ChrisWo some form of Nikon SLR.
snow report
Mmmm, bluebird day in Niseko. Little bit of fresh overnight, so we found some fresh tracks and plenty of lovely, light, choppy powder. Yummy. First time I've skied and been able to see the sea at the same time.

snow report
Some very good turns to be found today. Got up the peak early and had an epic run down the north face. Light, cold, untracked powder. A few less good runs in that area then an untracked run down to Goshiki for an onsen. Sweet.

Akiko finds sweet turns en route to Goshiki

ChrisWo down the same face - the tracks you can see are mine, Akiko's and his. The photo was taken at about 2:20
snow report
thebongolian, Nice, where goshiki?! Think we saw your redeemers outside the restaurant at lunchtime!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy