Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Chamonix Valley 2011/12 snow report

Poster: A snowHead
An early start this morning, up pretty much first bubble.

Pistes excellent and quiet until around 11h30, started to get busy then Flegere went all crap with both the Index lift going violently tech and the drag out of action.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
25cm fresh in garden this morning. Still dumping. Beginning to fret about getting unchained guests out tomorrow!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just getting up in Chamonix too - 30+ cm and still falling!

Hopefully we should be able to get out for our last day today, but we've got to get to Geneva early tomorrow and there's loads more forecast.

Should be great for those coming next week Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another huge fall overnight. Temperature set to rise. Strong winds up top. Avalanche 5/5. Take care everyone.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Been snowing non-stop for two days now. Only a few runs at Grands Montets and Les Houches open yesterday. Skied GM and it was unbelievable! The faces under the Tabe and Plan Joran chairs were almost waist deep and the snow was flowing over people's heads as they skied down. 

Heard a couple of avalanches from the direction of GM early this morning. Only Les Houches open today but the snow is wet and heavy, so back at the chalet now enjoying a sofa day (much needed after I cartwheeled down the Pierre a Ric yesterday and wrenched a hamstring). 

Have a few pics to make you all sick with envy but the upload button is greyed out here and in the snow media zone. 
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
did GM yesterday too, and foolishly tried to get a bus to les Houches today. No chance from Sud, the buses are rammed!!! Trust my girlfriend to have the car today. We gave in eventually and I did a bit of work on my igloo in my garden instead.

at GM we did some of the lower couloirs/gullys back to the carpark and they were so deep. hard work as pow' was on heavy side, but big smiles all round. And besides the first lift up, it wasn't mentally busy.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OliC, I was surprised at just how few people were at GM yesterday. They must have all gone to Les Houches. Pity most of the mountain was closed. The bits between the only three open pistes were pretty skied out by the afternoon but still good fun.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
a friend skiied les H all day yesterday and said it was ace (under prarion) and didn't mentione too many people atall. today is another story. and tomorrow I plan to be asleep till midday, and may ski l'apres-midi. its still snowing now though! no rain yet! still high avi.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Black flags, closed roads, arriving Monday night can't wait , just need to get up the road;)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Road to Chamonix is clear at the moment - roads in Chamonix and Les Houches feel like a badly maintained 4x4 track, very glad my van has a metal bash plate/undertray as I keep hitting the underside....on the main street!

Raining in Les Houches Sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Szk recons the mountain is to be closed for three days!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cross-post - www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1937451
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fortified with lunchtime wine and desperate to do some skiing - any skiing - I instigated a wee project to build a small ramp and jump in our chalet garden, which was sporting a blanket of snow about a metre deep. Only had two takers but we moved a LOT of snow around with tiny avy shovels. With much jumping around to compact the snow, we ended up with a very large hole in the snow that looks sort of like a shallow half pipe. It's a work in progress. 

If the mountains are closed again tomorrow, I'll finish it, whatever it is and give it a try Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Finally, a few lifts and runs open (Brevent). Woo! (via SMS)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Only two runs open at Brevent. The Blanchot isn't just closed, it's gone Shocked You can't even see a hint of it. (via SMS)
snow conditions
Anyone with an update - why was everything closed this week and will it be open next week?
snow report
Skied Grands Montets this morning. It was a late opening but all lifts except the top cable car and the Retour Pendant were running. I did a couple of runs on the Herse/Bochard before having to leave to go to work. The snow was well consolidated at the top, ie it was deep but really dense. Still fun to ski though. Descending towards Lognan, it changed to being breakable rain crust which became pretty unpleasant on the very bottom section. Good technique, speed or really fat skis (or all of the above) were needed. When we left the sun was just coming out and it was seriously warm. I'm not really sure what's going to happen with the snow now, I guess it depends on whether there's a solid freeze tonight.

bezthespaniard, there were a couple of days of closures due to bad weather/high avalanche risk this week. A lot of snow fell on Friday/Saturday and there was a big warming with the snow turning to rain. Next week from the look of the forecast there could be another major storm on Thursday but who knows whether it will be severe enough to close any of the lifts. It looks like the temperatures are going down so maybe we will get some light powder to ski this time. Long may the snow continue to fall in Europe! December was the best month's skiing I have ever had this side of the Atlantic and for once everyone in the US is looking over the pond with envy!
snow report
Any recent reports - just wondering what conditions are just now and likely to be the coming week?
snow report
been working all day so this makes me Jealous Skibomb:

http://tvmountain.com/video/glisse/8709-snow-report-chamonix-mont-blanc-aiguille-du-midi-envers-du-plan.html

also saw Glen Plake wondering through town, prob been up in that area too.
ski holidays
OliC wrote:
been working all day so this makes me Jealous Skibomb:

http://tvmountain.com/video/glisse/8709-snow-report-chamonix-mont-blanc-aiguille-du-midi-envers-du-plan.html

also saw Glen Plake wondering through town, prob been up in that area too.

Sorry Skied with Glen all day - we put the first tracks in where the video was filmed - guessing they were up there 1pmish

Skied gnarly Couloirs off the Brevent in the afternoon - there is some crusty yucky snow hiding in corners if you search hard enough - but for the most part ist very nice out Wink
ski holidays
Great conditions at Le tour today, plenty of lines to be had.
ski holidays
After a glorious day of skiing and sunshine yesterday, the weather has come in and all mountains are on standby today. Lot of booming and avy sounds. (via SMS)
latest report
Great conditions today. Zero vis in the morning but knee-deep fresh snow. Clouds cleared at lunch time and there was still plenty of fresh to be had. About 50cm due to fall tomorrow but I won't be able to take advantage of it because I'm flying back to London.
latest report
Zero-G, no worries, I'll pick that baton up Very Happy
snow report
It wasn't bad this afternoon...

Full report + pics here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1941427#1941427
snow report
offpisteskiing, can't beat the poubelle, but still on my tick list.

Had a wonderful afternoon at Flegere skiing in the sunshine with my daughter on my new whitedots. Powder knee deep could just point them anywhere.

As good as it gets. Very Happy
snow report
ww166no wrote:
Zero-G, no worries, I'll pick that baton up Very Happy

Enjoy! Beautiful fine, light flakes falling out of the sky this morning snowHead
latest report
Anyone got an update at all? I am flying out on Saturday for a week - what is the likelyhood of things being shut?

Looks like things are restricted today?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bezthespaniard, Forecast is for loads of snow + stormy up high - will be restricted opening today I would imagine + probably next couple of days if it keeps snowing... Weather looks to be clearing as of Saturday so your timing could be rather good!
snow conditions
Thanks for the response - i do hope so!
snow report
I left les houches this morning and it was heavy snow . Heavy rain all the way to geneva so I imagine loads of snow on the slopes! It snowed most of the week and it's looking like a similar week.
latest report
What is the current situation anyone, are uplift open or shut? Just heading for the airport now and hoping to be neck deep in powder tomorrow morning snowHead
latest report
Lovely conditions in Argentiere from this afternoon on. Loads of fresh snow, a great base, sunshine due, what more could you want!
snow report
From a few days ago

http://vimeo.com/m/34555644

And further down the run

http://vimeo.com/m/34682183

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 8-01-12 9:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
looks like you know your way round those big holes pretty well. very jealous, especially as I must have seen you with Glen when I was pulled up in town working.

can you take ski's on montenvers train?
latest report
OliC wrote:
looks like you know your way round those big holes pretty well. very jealous, especially as I must have seen you with Glen when I was pulled up in town working.

can you take ski's on montenvers train?

Yes you can take skis on the Montonvers train both down from the Vallee Blanche or up to go storm skiing - We skied down - much faster Wink
ski holidays
Shocked
Skiing out the Door from Tom Greenall
http://vimeo.com/34555644
snow report
/\ Er...fair play, I guess! Not for me thanks, my heartbeat rose and toes curled just watching it!
latest report
Isn't that the bit where you are normally roped together and there is makeshift railings in place?
latest report
Great snow at les houches this afternoon. Was quite foggy but almost no one there. It's due to be sunny all this week starting tomorrow. Get yourself to Chamonix.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy