Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Les Arcs 2011 / 2012

Poster: A snowHead
dsmart, no idea about price of nappies but the SuperU in Bourg seems similarly priced to back home. There is a small "British section" which is much more expensive, but there's no need to buy stuff there as the range of groceries is excellent and in some cases (fresh vegetables in particular) better than my local Tesco.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Just wondering whether its gonna be worth our while bringing a few essentials out.

If you've room, it's usually worth bringing a few essentials. Tea bags, top of the list of course. But also, if you are self catering, small amounts of stuff which save you buying big boxes - eg dishwasher tablets, stock cubes, herbs/spices, flour. If you're a keen cook, a decent knife (no problem in hold baggage). Now that the euro is a bit weaker the price differential is not as bad as it was last year,
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, Fantastic photo from your balcony Very Happy Looking forward to seeing you soon - we get there on Friday snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, pam w, Thanks for the info & advice.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dsmart, Anything you might be tempted to pick up from the "British section" (Marmite, decent tea bags etc).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Can anyone advise how the supermarket prices in Bourg Differ from UK? Just wondering whether its gonna be worth our while bringing a few essentials out.

Tell you the truth I haven't really noticed any difference, but then again I tend not to convert currencies and in France think in euros. As to essentials we are taking a big pack of tea bags, a jar of coffee and a litre of milk. Even though you can now get tea other than yellow label in France the choice is not great. As to the others, we will arrive after the shops are shut and will need a cuppa. I find I can get everything I need in the little shop in Arc 1600 and tend not to do big shopping trips to Bourg. Having said that the fish counter in the super U is fantastic.

Make sure you bring a shopping bag. Free plastic bags are not allowed in the Savoy.

If you are staying in a rented apartment then I would suggest taking a very sharp knife.

John
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Now that the euro is a bit weaker the price differential is not as bad as it was last year,

Have I missed somehting, but according to the BBC web site the pound has still to reach the level it was last January.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Conditions look amazing I fly out on Saturday with my wife and 14 yr old cant bloody wait to get away from the grey streets for all that fresh snow. First time in Les Arcs staying at 1600

Where are you staying? We are often in the Abrevoior or having a vin chaud in the Chez Fernand after skiing.

John
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

We normally come out as big group but not quite happened this year ...hadn't really thought about me but company would be great!! was hoping there would be some friendly folk in chalet who wouldn't mind me tagging along!! Was more concerned about the boys but they all think I am just being paranoid ....which I probably am!!!!!!

When do you and your family arrive ... ?? perhaps we could arrange to meet up?

Alison, I have sent you a PM with contact details

John
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
[quote="pam w"]
Quote:

...Tea bags, top of the list of course.....

er, only if you drink tea wink

spot on re dishwasher tabs and sharp knife
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dsmart, One thing to bear in mind....You are assuming you can get to Bourg from 1950? Heavy snow and the road can close. Also reading your previous posts you are staying in 1950 and as you asked the price of a taxi up from Bourg to 1950, I assume you are flying or getting the train. 1950 is a 20 mile long drive up a hill and once up there and done a long days skiing it can be very uninviting and expensive to drive back down in a taxi(long haul by free bus and funicular to shops).

The Spar in 1950 is a lovely shop and has lots but its not that cheap but cheaper than a trek down the mountain for smaller items. If you plan to get to Bourg and go straight to the shop in a hired taxi, then thats fine but don't assume once up the mountain it is that easy or cheap to come back down. As for price differences, the specific Brit products are not cheap in the little section. bring porridge etc..as for nappies I wouldn't worry about it, bring them if you plan to stay up the mountain, they will cost a fortune but the cost in Bourg will be fine.

I won't bore everyone here but will PM you our list of things to bring that if you don't can be expensive to buy as one offs.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Many thanks everyone for your advice.

Didnt really consider a sharp knife, I'll have to get 1 when we're there as they're prohibited according to eurostar website.

thefatcontroller, The plan is too pick up any items before we head up the hill, although this might mean waiting around as the train gets in around 6.30am. If it too much waiting around we'll just get Nvaette & funicular back down to save ££££ (getting lift passes sent to uk now, so we can get up the hill for free!) Its the first time we've been self catering in Les Arcs, Previously stayed in a hotel, so havent had to think about this before.

However we do it, it seems theres not much point carting loads over given the general opinion regarding cost difference.

We'll def take tea bags & coffee though.

Thanks again
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Light snowfall all morning, and a little bit heavier for the afternoon. Still snowing with no signs of it stopping. Maybe 10cm of fresh snow at resort level. Visibility mostly very poor, but other than that conditions are brilliant.

There's a serious amount of snow now, especially for December. I don't think I've seen so much snow here before. Cornices are beginning to develop on roofs at resort level - the one above me is sticking out by over a metre. That will be a big whump when it breaks!

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dsmart, your welcome pack in 1950 has tea bags and coffee - not enough for a week, but no need to unpack a deep suitcase to find them in the first hour! Also cloths, dishwasher tablets and washing-up liquid - enough for the week. Similarly salt, pepper, and in the bathrooms shampoo, soap and showergel (think hotel pack - but again, enough for a week. And if you are particularly fastidious, the mid-week clean crew can always be relied on for a quick beg to top up). Also hairdryer.

Sharp knife... er no. Oh they think they are sharp. But they aint. If you can find a small one in the shops near the funi worth a quick look - but the supermarket up top also sells IIRC. Rest of cutlery set (including can and bottle openers, corkscrew etc. - you know, the important stuff! are all there, and if not, will be replenished by a phone call to reception. Potato masher, if that's your thing... bring one with you. We also take a roll of small bin liners - they're not great at supplying sufficient receptacles for recycling separation, and, as above, no throw-away / reuse placky bags from the supermarket.

Note: you will pay for additional shopping bags - you may think you are organised enough to always remember to take the ones you bought on day 1 (c50) with you to the shops in the village... Laughing

rob@rar, take care with those overhangs... don't want to be digging you out!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arctic Roll, Thanks for the tips. I dont think there'll be a welcome pack. We're in Manoir Savoie, the owner of the apartment hasn't mentioned anything.
ski holidays
Quote:

its not that cheap but cheaper than a trek down the mountain for smaller items.

this is an important point. there is little point spending £X a minute for a ski holiday, then spending a lot of very precious time and effort saving the difference between a resort shop and the Super U minus the cost in petrol. And even ingredients bought in a resort shop will make you a supper hugely cheaper than the cheapest and nasties resto around.
latest report
I've read (cant remember where) that 1950 supplies free washing machines for clothes - anyone know if this is true. COuld be handy as can take less clothes. If the machines are free, do we have to supply own liquid/powder. Customs will have a right adventure if they open our luggage....white washing powder, sugar, coffee mate!
latest report
Quote:

Yep take care, your should wear your helmet and avi transceiver on your balcony at all times just in case Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Still snowing hard, with big, juicy flakes. -5 degrees at 1800m and no wind, so depth is building up quite quickly now. At a guess 20cm at resort level today. Hope our snow clearance man visits early tomorrow as I need to be at GVA at 11.00am. He's earning his money this week, three visits today.

When the Aiguille Rouge and Grand Col fully open there's going to be some insane depths up there. Not sure when that will be as avy risk was up to 4 today, and lee slopes are going to be deeply loaded.
latest report
livetoski wrote:
Quote:

Yep take care, your should wear your helmet and avi transceiver on your balcony at all times just in case Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I'm also wearing my airbag. You can't be too safe you know.
snow report
Quote:

coffee mate

they still make coffee mate? Shocked
snow conditions
Jon Ford, yes they do... but be warned, free usually means busy! ( and for some reason, no-one seems capable of cleaning out the fluff in the tumble dryers, so they end up being on spin cycle far longer than they ought...)

dsmart, if they don't give them out in Manoir I would be very, very surprised. It's part of the deal at all the other apartment blocks, owner or guest of owner or just a visitor with a TO, enjoying the hospitality. And if you are going on an owner's week that he's (ahem) 'lent' you, you may even be lucky enough to get a bottle of wine...

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 21-12-11 22:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Quote:
When the Aiguille Rouge and Grand Col fully open there's going to be some insane depths up there. Not sure when that will be as avy risk was up to 4 today, and lee slopes are going to be deeply loaded.

So, we're out on the 14th... maybe they'll be ready by then (but not before... too dangerous I reckon Razz )

And sorry, Jon Ford, no: you do provide your own washing powder. Jeez, some people want everything! NehNeh
snow conditions
Arctic Roll, I'll ask the owner tomorrow... unfortunately its not "lent"
latest report
One question for all you Les Archeads, where would be the best restaurant in 1950 or 2000 to get Turkey with all the trimmings on the 25th?
snow report
cheers Arctic Roll, dont mind bringing the powder - just handy to wash some of the ski tops etc mid week...if we can get on the machines
snow report
Today.. .. In a word, magic.

Uneventful drive down yesterday, only snow worth mentioning was after moutiers and of course chains or snow tyres required to get up the hill - passed a few struggling on the way up. Hit Calais at 12, dinner in bar d'lour at 9:15.

No more snow in resort today, but visibility poor at times. There are acres of untracked waiting..., but visibility made it difficult. It will still be there tomorrow - weather promises better tomorrow too. Rouselle and Vallandry trees were the best - did Vallandry lift poles (under the lift) top to bottom - plenty of snow cover for that.
Quite a few trees down due to weight of snow, including one across the rat run track which is quite a duck for me.

Lunch at le trois arcs today, unfortunately, it would appear parts of 1600 are on a power cut today so a rather limited menu and no heating.

Didn't bother going over to 2000 bowl, suspect vis was pretty bad and uncertain which lifts were running. New Mont Blanc lift wasn't running when we were over in 1600.

Forgot.... Comb in Vallandry - just brilliant - do it - no one goes there!! and plenty cover on the meadow to get back to Grizzly via new lift.

I'm not normally one for first lift, but will be first in the queue again tomorrow.

Does anyone out here have a UK PC keyboard 'spare', unusual request but really need one.
latest report
Allanm,

Coming out to Les Coches next Weds - could pack one of our spare keyboards for you if it helps - USB or PS2 fitting?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This is very confusing. There's a big blue nothingness above me, and a big ball of yellow that I haven't seen in what feels like a lifetime. Maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to see where I'm skiing today and not just use The Force.
ski holidays
rob@rar, Laughing Laughing If its any consolation, its dark and raining where I am and 2 dogs are waiting to go for a run.
latest report
thefatcontroller, Laughing

View from the balcony this morning:

snow report
rob@rar, Stunning. 3 weeks to go for us. The webcams are torture.
latest report
thefatcontroller, only warm weather in the forecast, it will all have melted in 3 weeks Twisted Evil
snow report
Boredsurfing, I know, we are later than normal this year going for 1st trip. Just got sick of the New Year and increasingly busy week 2 of January due to the Baltic school holidays so going mid January to avoid the crowds but no doubt avoiding the snow Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad I want to see some powder this year after last years ice skating. Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
thefatcontroller, ironically since posting above the local forecast on the radio is talking about snow over the weekend snowHead
latest report
Boredsurfing, Excellent stuff, forecast seems to be for a few mild(er) days then more snow. I need some fluffy stuff as just has an arthroscopy of my right knee so moguls and icy slopes are not on my list of 'to do's'
snow conditions
Lunchtime report: It's gorgeous!

More photos on my Facebook album
ski holidays
Looks terrific! Very Happy
latest report
Andybag,

Spoke with the operations director in 1950 this morning - although all the restaurants are doing Christmas "special"s, no-one is making a big song and dance about a turkey gluttonfest a la UK. Maybe up in 2000?

But wherever you choose (I'd go Table de Lys personally: it will be very good, but it won't be cheap, or if in 2000, Chez Eux) make sure you books as soon as you arrive. They get full quickly.
ski holidays
rob@rar, Ta, been p***ing down here all morning and tomorrow ain't looking any better. Evil or Very Mad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy