Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Les Arcs 2011 / 2012

Poster: A snowHead
rob@rar, could you stick some powder in the freezer for about 3 weeks time? Just, you know, in case. Much obliged.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Today was a special day.

latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, have you tried any of the piste natur runs in these conditions? Great pics.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
dmarts, 1st photo is taken on Droset. I lapped around it several times as it was so good (although a slow turnaround time).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, lapping Droset? Wow - my favourite black that is rarely open and you get to do it multiple times. Where's the hate-with-total-jealously smiley?

Did you take the bus back, or Pre St Esprit?

You can go off people you know...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar wrote:
Snow's a bit heavy for waist deep, but I did get a couple of face shots this morning. Can't remember when I last got that in Europe.

Meribel Dec 2010 wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Timberwolf, a very good point!

Arctic Roll, Pre St Esprit. Gave me a chance to rest my legs wink I'm not sure if it was open. How do you tell? It just looked nice in there so I dropped in.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, 9/10 they usually have a "ferme" sign up!

When I get home tonight I'll post a picture of the top "meadow" of Droset in the summer. Which explains why you need a good covering... wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arctic Roll, didn't see a sign, but I came in from the side to avoid what looked like buried avalanche debris. It was lovely down most of the run, especially the first couple of times when it was largely untracked.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, Arctic Roll, when they're open (rolling eyes) are the ratings on the piste naturs the same as elsewhere, i.e. is a natural red about the same difficulty as a regular pisted red? I've not seen ungroomed piste on a map before, and not done much off-piste... The droset pic looks mighty tempting.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Always looked up at Droset when driving up to 2000 and gone 'Nah....' Embarassed Embarassed
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dmarts, ahh you're looking at Malgovert. the infamous Red Piste Natur of Old Arcs Town...

I would suggest unless you feel comfortable on a 'normal' black, then don't even think about it. It is magnificent, bizzare, beautiful, can be terrifying in poor conditions and totally unique.

And as for the drop-in to Clair Blanc, the 'other' red that might be a little optimistic, ...now that's an adrenalin buzz!

Black piste naturs on the other hand - well, most of then in Arcs2000 are piste naturs anway, so my experience of them tends to be - oh so that's what a black should be like. You certainly get a sense of achivement having done them, that's for sure!

Droset - there are bits where you don't so much fall uphill, more of a lean against the mountain...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
reduced photo size - seems to work

As promised Droset in the summer - looking benign... not!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arctic Roll, eek!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As Rob says, it was one of those special days today.

So time for MORE POWDER and a bit of Exploration!
After reaching the top of the Cachette, took a nice line down through the forest to Arc 1800 off pistes as the main runs were getting busy. Then up the Vagere and through the forest again to the Derby lift. From the top went far to the right and down through the Peisey Forest to the Vache restaurant and back up the chair and over to the VE.

Once on the other side, headed over to Champagny via some of my favourite gullies arriving in time for lunch.

After lunch back to the top of the Arpette chair in Plagne Bellecote, then it was time for an adventure. Down the off piste valley through the meadows and then the trees above Les Coches, but this time going further left than normal. Finally hitting one of the snowshoeing tracks that runs through the forest. Decision time, hike up to the right or continue left. Today we choose right and after a 30 plus minutes hike back up we reached the Red piste down into Les Coches. As you can guess, not everyone was happy, but that is what exploration is all about and some of the snow was amazing. If I do this route again I shall go left and take the lower route. Hopefully avoiding the hike back out.

Everywhere I went today, the snow was good, fresh powder and loads of untracked snow still around. Really fun. The only tough area was low down in the forest, but even the track out in places was still nice snow on the down hill sections.

Another day of adventure to come tomorrow I hope!
latest report
......hi arriving in Les Arcs 1950 Friday 23rd .... single mum with three teenage sons 13 15 & 18 who are all competent skiers but....
mum (me) nervous about letting them off on their own ...anyone know any good guides who will show them around? Smile staying at Chalet de L'arc.
latest report
^^ So who's up for a meet on Christmas Eve? By my reckoning there's quite a few of us out next Saturday.
ski holidays
lesarcs, (and welcome to snowHead btw) this might upset a few people on here, but I say let them go with snowcrazy: he's good at assessing ability and will be able to show them both the piste and the not so piste...

Otherwise there are some Brit owners out that week, who know the place pretty well: he and they will all be in Georges bar of an evening. I presume you are staying in Chalet de Lys rather than de L'Arcs (which is a restaurant up the hill...) - Georges is right outside your front door. Say hello to George behind the bar, and ask to meet... It's a very friendly place!
ski holidays
Snowing hard this morning, again.
snow report
rob@rar, Nice and forecast down for the day as well. Enjoy
ski holidays
Snowing even harder! I think the snow gods have misplaced the "STOP" button.

Local refuse truck, equipped with full snow tyres and chains, has just got stuck on the access road to my apartment. They've called in a big plough to clear the road so it can get back out again. Would love to stay and watch but I have to go out and ski...
snow report
rob@rar, Mad NehNeh Crying or Very sad Cool
snow report
Blimey - it must be good - Combe in Vallandry open, both piste AND button - not sure that button ran once last season!

I guess it will be a day or two before Varet and G Col are opened?? AR next week?

One sleep to go.... W tyres on...
ski holidays
Quote:

Would love to stay and watch but I have to go out and ski...

It's a hard life.

We are heading off on Thursday so should be skiing on Friday morning. The weather does not look too bad for the drive.

It appears we are unusual in this thread in that we stay in 1600 WIMHO is the nicest of the Arc stations.

John
ski holidays
Quote:

hi arriving in Les Arcs 1950 Friday 23rd .... single mum with three teenage sons 13 15 & 18 who are all competent skiers but....
mum (me) nervous about letting them off on their own ...anyone know any good guides who will show them around? Smile staying at Chalet de L'arc.

The Les arcs ski area is a great place to let the kids explore on there own. I speak from expereince, since from about the age of 14 or 15 my son waas skiing parts of the day on his own. Usually without a map.

If they do not get over to La Plagne then there is nowhere from where they cannot get home even if it requires a 30 minute hike from the Vallandry section. My son rolled up at the apartment about 18:00 one evening having got lost in the trees above vallandry just before the lifts closed.

If they have mobile telephones they can always get in touch with you, and the people skiing Les Arcs are usually very friendly and helpful. All they have to do is stop at a group of skiers and ask - even in English.

If you like I will ask my 18 year old son if he will show them around a bit.

And what about you? Will you have someone to ski with?

John
snow conditions
It's getting a bit nuts! It snowed heavily all day, and is still coming down with no sign of stopping. I'd guess about 20-30cm low down, probably more up top. Visibility was very poor above the tree line, and lifts up to the steeper slopes between Arc 1800 and 2000 were closed around 11.30am because of increasing avy risk. Everything is fully loaded with snow, with a few old trees above Vallandry being brought down by the weight of it. Bit warmer today, and the snow felt heavier because of it. It should be brilliant up top when it stops snowing. If it stops snowing...

latest report
rob@rar, ^^ Don't worry Rob it will stop snowing when I arrive tomorrow - it always does Puzzled
ski holidays
allanm, on this occasion I have to say I won't be disappointed!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arctic Roll, ...hi Arcitc Roll ...thanks!! Snowcrazy been in touch via FB but not in resort till 30th Dec Sad ...... will call by Georges though for sure. Can't wait!! Very Happy
latest report
[quote]
The Les arcs ski area is a great place to let the kids explore on there own. I speak from expereince, since from about the age of 14 or 15 my son waas skiing parts of the day on his own. Usually without a map.

If they do not get over to La Plagne then there is nowhere from where they cannot get home even if it requires a 30 minute hike from the Vallandry section. My son rolled up at the apartment about 18:00 one evening having got lost in the trees above vallandry just before the lifts closed.

If they have mobile telephones they can always get in touch with you, and the people skiing Les Arcs are usually very friendly and helpful. All they have to do is stop at a group of skiers and ask - even in English.

John

Hi John

Wow what a kind offer ...that would be great sure they would really appreciate that ... especially the eldest!!!

We normally come out as big group but not quite happened this year ...hadn't really thought about me but company would be great!! was hoping there would be some friendly folk in chalet who wouldn't mind me tagging along!! Was more concerned about the boys but they all think I am just being paranoid ....which I probably am!!!!!!

When do you and your family arrive ... ?? perhaps we could arrange to meet up?

Alison
ski holidays
Quote:

Local refuse truck, equipped with full snow tyres and chains, has just got stuck on the access road to my apartment.

we haven't seen a refuse truck for a while. Our cave is full of rubbish and recycling because there is no possibility of getting near the rubbish bins - even before the ploughs pushed a great big wall of concrete snow up in front of them. Some messy people dumped bags just in the snow near the bins - they are now a picturesque snowdrift. Will be unpleasant when it thaws - a bit like those hole in the ground toilets they used to have on the mountain in Bulgaria. Not nice in the spring thaw.
latest report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

hi arriving in Les Arcs 1950 Friday 23rd .... single mum with three teenage sons 13 15 & 18 who are all competent skiers but....

John
Hi John

Wow what a kind offer ...that would be great sure they would really appreciate that ... especially the eldest!!!

We normally come out as big group but not quite happened this year ...hadn't really thought about me but company would be great!! was hoping there would be some friendly folk in chalet who wouldn't mind me tagging along!! Was more concerned about the boys but they all think I am just being paranoid ....which I probably am!!!!!!

When do you and your family arrive ... ?? perhaps we could arrange to meet up?

Alison
snow report
Taken from the Ernalow twitter feed:

http://blog.ernalow.co.uk/2011/12/snow-snow-snow-in-les-arcs/dsc04222/

An angle you don't usually see of 1950.
lesarcs chalet de lys is LHS on the skyline: George Brown's Wine bar is one of the shops buried under the snow in the middle!
snow conditions
Arctic Roll ... thanks really helpful!! Can't wait to get there now Toofy Grin
snow report
Conditions look amazing I fly out on Saturday with my wife and 14 yr old cant bloody wait to get away from the grey streets for all that fresh snow. First time in Les Arcs staying at 1600 Very Happy
snow conditions
NEWSFLASH

It's stopped snowing!

Over the last hour or so it has gradually cleared and the light snowfall has finally come to an end. Left a great view from my balcony down the Tarentaise valley towards Bourg St Maurice, with the valley full of cloud.

latest report
stunning!
snow report
Can anyone advise how the supermarket prices in Bourg Differ from UK? Just wondering whether its gonna be worth our while bringing a few essentials out.

cheers
ski holidays
Oh forgot to ask.. anyone got any idea how the price of nappies compare In Bourg?
ski holidays
Snowing again. That's 9 days in a row that it's snowed for at least some of the day.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy