Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beware - 20 kg limit is being enforced!

Poster: A snowHead
welshflyer wrote:
In the early days of flying, when weight was a real issue on aircraft, skiers wore their ski boots on the plane.

oh yeah, they weigh less if you wear them Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Voice of Reason, Agreed. If you want a larger allowance then book a different airline.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
The Voice of Reason, Agreed. If you want a larger allowance then book a different airline.

Good advice that breaks down entirely in the context of a package deal where you don't even know who the airline is until 10 days before you travel.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mr Technique, That would no doubt be a package deal which quite clearly states luggage allowances in its T's & C's, and quite possibly even offer the option to pay for an additional allowance at a discounted rate up front, yes?

Same question still stands in either case.....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No, that would be a package deal where the airline, flight times, and luggage restrictions were not known until 10 days prior to travel, as stated.

6 days actually. I've just checked my inbox.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mr Technique, 6 whole days to work out what you can fit in your allowance, what you may need to leave out, or how much extra you may be liable to pay, hardly rocket science
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
smithski wrote:
welshflyer wrote:
In the early days of flying, when weight was a real issue on aircraft, skiers wore their ski boots on the plane.

oh yeah, they weigh less if you wear them Puzzled

Perhaps they kept their feet off the floor during take off and landing Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
smithski wrote:
Mr Technique, 6 whole days to work out what you can fit in your allowance, what you may need to leave out, or how much extra you may be liable to pay, hardly rocket science

The discussion about the suggestion to "choose a different airline", not my packing skills. Please do try to pay more attention in future.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 7-01-11 11:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mr Technique, ahh, yep, OK Embarassed
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Also, the management of cargo weight on board a jet propelled aircraft is indeed something rather akin to "rocket science".
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mr Technique, the management of cargo on board a jet propelled aircraft may well be something akin to 'rocket science', particularly given that the airline does not know how much luggage passengers might want to carry. An easy method of attempting to control this might be to put in a limit on the luggage they allow to be carried for free, and placing a hefty surplus rate on any additional luggage. Just a thought.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes, you'll probably have noticed that I haven't at any point argued against the notion of luggage weight limits or excess baggage charges, nor the airline's right to use such schemes.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mr Technique, So what point were you trying to make?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That the suggestion to "choose a different airline" is a flawed one.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
we had less stuff coming home

never managed that ! Shocked
Quote:
an empty case on the scales Laughing

that's a sacrilege to come back to the UK with an empty suitcase
you need to get in touch with your feminine side wink
I am always on borderline going out and coming back.... Embarassed don't ask rolling eyes
ski holidays
...um...by evening wear I meant stuff to wear in the evening - not evening dresses. You know - ski wear, night wear evening wear - just smart jeans/trousers and smart tops. Need lots of changes of clothes with a youngster as they always manage to smear snot or chocolate pudding all over your tops.

My toiletries weigh a tonne; it was ok when you could put them in hand luggage.

The Voice of Reason, quite hard to weigh your bags accurately at home though - it was only 1kg for heavens sake.
snow conditions
Quote:
it was only 1kg for heavens sake

So, 5% over given the limits. Is that like being only a little bit over the drink drive limit, Occifer?
snow report
The allowance should be reworked to be a combination of luggage weight and body weight.

Thus, dwarves would be able to travel with the enormous quantity of absurd circus clothing that they require to fulfill their employment contracts, and mouth-breathing sweaty fatties would be forced to only be allowed 1 pair of underpants for a week (and couldn't return home with a comically enormous Toblerone stuffed in their rucksack).

Problem solved.
latest report
The scales they use aren't particularly accurate I believe. Several times my luggage has weighed quite a bit different out/back with identical content. Best to allow a reasonable margin of error.
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott wrote:

The Voice of Reason, quite hard to weigh your bags accurately at home though

Oh, I don't know.....suspect he manages....... NehNeh
ski holidays
Next time you go skiing , when you get back check what luggage you never used??

When buying new boots aim for the lightest and strongest this is important nowadays even though they will be the most expensive.

Start off by assuming your weight limit is 15kg. Aim for that, chuck out anything you know you dont need. Wear your skigear to the airport. Even with boots at 5kg you can pack (10kg) enough for a week or two.

I have actually seen a couple at Zurich ariport checkin in their boots & wearing helmets.

You can wash things in resorts

Buy your wash items at the the local resort market.

Fly Swiss Very Happy

Go by Train Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Scales vary from one to the next. Number of years ago I flew to NZ. Started off with an internal flight MAN-LHR, bag weighed just over 18kg. Flight LHR-AKL and bag weighed almost 17 kg. Internal flight AKL-CHC and the bag weighed in at just over 19kg. At no time did I open the bag or add/remove any luggage, simply wheeled it from one terminal to the next.
snow conditions
Drive
ski holidays
Boris wrote:
Drive
providing you do not get bushed on the piste, do not twist your leg or arm,
'cos then what ?
snow report
Snowdrop, Mrs Boris drives home
snow report
Boris wrote:
Snowdrop, Mrs Boris drives home

does Mrs B have un unatached sister ? I could do with a wife wink
snow conditions
Sitter, Flybe are very good a extracting more income. Last summer I put my handluggage on the scales.... 10.2 kg, that will be £13.99 sir to go in the hold. So i open it and put on a fleece top that was in it, (its was 28 degrees and a bit warm!) bag goes back on the scales....now the weight was 10.4kg!!...they had been overcharging people with sticking scales......
snow report
Snowdrop, Unfortunately not - I could do with a change wink

it's a fair comment about how to drive if injured, or even get in car with leg in plaster! I hope that a) I never find out and b) my insurance would cover me somewhere along the line. I'm pretty sure it does, but will now go and read the small print!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Voice of Reason wrote:
it says somewhere that the luggage limit is 20kg? And yet you saw fit to take more than this,

He may not have. We weighed our 2 items of luggage at home and both were underweight. Ryanair scales weighed over 2 kilos over. We then took the bags and asked another airline to weigh it and it was under. But Ryanair made us unpack and stuff items into pockets and wear more layers. Each item we took out, the cases were weighed again. The queue was delayed but they didn't mind. In fact, most people were unpacking and rearranging their own stuff. Now forgive me but, whether items are in hold bags, carry on, or worn, they WEIGH THE SAME!
latest report
I weighed our stuff before going out and reckoned I was 0.2kg under our combined 60kg limit for our family of 4 (but one was an infant) however when we got there their scales were weighing slightly more so I was expecting to be charged but was amazed we weren't. I was quite prepared to pay it I had asked to pay for youngest as a child
to get the extra seat and bagagge but our TO didn't allow.

As to the comment of coming back lighter, we did as the vast majority of nappies had been used.
ski holidays
Quote:

Can I just confirm that when booking, it says somewhere that the luggage limit is 20kg? And yet you saw fit to take more than this, and then moan that they ask you to pony up cash?

I think the point generally being made is that 20 kg is a) unreasonable and b) almost impossible for those with own boots to stick to

"The Voice of Reason"? Voice of a pedant more like
ski holidays
owen4220 wrote:
Quote:

Can I just confirm that when booking, it says somewhere that the luggage limit is 20kg? And yet you saw fit to take more than this, and then moan that they ask you to pony up cash?

I think the point generally being made is that 20 kg is a) unreasonable and b) almost impossible for those with own boots to stick to

If that is the point being made, then it is a false one.

The airlines which have a 15Kg limit for ski flights are getting to the point of being unreasonable, but 20Kg should be plenty unless you have not only your own bots but also a lot of off-piste gear.

I have my own boots and have never had any difficulty staying under 20Kg, although I do put a few clothes in with the skis as padding (but not enough that it would take me over 20Kg if they were in my main bag).
snow conditions
Quote:

That's rubbish. I fly about 3 times each winter for skiing, with my boots in my luggage, and I'm always well under 20kg. As long as you haven't got some ultra heavy case or take far too much stuff it's not a problem at all.
ski holidays
Yup. Ski boots, clothing, helmet, shovel and probe. 19-20kg. No real problem.
ski holidays
Heres a question for all the seasoned snowheads...

Is it possible to pack for a weeks skiing/apres + boots in 20kg?

Im off on my first ever ski hol to morzine in march, ive bought myself some boots and someone has pointed out itll be 5kg out of my allowance already :/
ski holidays
MisterG, Can be done but it IS a challenge, wear all the heavy gear and also in hand luggage. Ski boots at 5kg is part of the 20kg, bummer eh?
snow report
MisterG, most people will say yes, others will say no - that's what most of the lugagge threads end up discussing. for me, yes (just).

Most first timers take too much stuff. You can wear base layers and socks twice. You can apres in a fleece and wear it the next day for skiing. No-one will notice if you wear the same stuff throughout the week unless it really honks. Wear your apres boots to the airport, you don't need any other shoes. decant toiletries into smaller bottles. Wear your ski jacket to the airport, you won't need another jacket.
latest report
Quote:

You can wear base layers and socks twice

Is that all.................dont get downwind etc!! Laughing
snow report
Markymark29, well.... you wouldn't want to get close to my thermals at the end of the week wink
ski holidays
Main thing is get a bag/case that is lightweight. I've a Head wheely bag which with my boots, helmet, all ski clothes, toiletries, other clothes, etc comes out at about 17kg for the week. That's without scrimping or risking being too smelly. However I take exactly the right amount of clothes, no spares. The bag is very light (although strong) with no metal framed pull handle or anything like that which adds a lot of weight.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy