Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2010 / 2011 Snow Reports

Poster: A snowHead
genepi, you have got very good eyes to see that little piste on the blurry photo. But yes it is going to make the rest there very busy. Can't wait. When do you get out?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowcrazy, About 13th Jan for a couple of weeks, but trying to hatch a plan for christmas at the moment
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
genepi, Give me a buzz on the mobile when you get out, be good to meet up for a beer at least. I am there from start of Dec all being well. Toofy Grin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowcrazy wrote:
6: .......... if you ski to La Rosière...

Is that the 2010/11 version of the snowHead Villaroger challenge?? wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Now here is a question for all you Bourg people and surrounding resorts, two seasons ago my lad got a pair of leather gloves which quite a few locals wear for skiing. Nice thick leather with fur/sheepskin lining, natural colour, in fact they look a little yellow when new. They are really a riggers glove or work glove but sold for ski workers and resort staff.

They are still going strong after two full seasons use and they cost him 13 Euro. Very Happy Very Happy

If we can get them wink wink for the UK market and sell them at £15 how would they go????????

A pre-emtive sorry for asking market research question rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
livetoski, Scott and I use them when teaching at Hemel.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
livetoski, I got mine on E Bay and for less than €13 IFIRC around £5.00 Very Happy
Quick search today gives £4.75
This is the first one that comes up there loads of others
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boredsurfing, I was looking like mad to find the same ones, the link /\ /\ is for a different glove

I will try and get a photo uploaded
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
livetoski, Theres plenty on the ebay just look for 'em Very Happy The link was simply the first pair that came up, the ones I actually bought were longer with more of a cuff.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
livetoski, http://www.arco.co.uk/products/1255600?gclid=CLHmhbGQl58CFWlr4wod513HJA
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ebay seems to give me similar stuff and lots of it, however not the same as the French ones, I am pretty sure that they are only available in France at the present time. But thanks for the links I will keep you posted.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Red Leon, nope not the new challenge but Twisted Evil

It is nice to visit Italy for lunch sometimes so the discount is good.

livetoski, I use those gloves as well, but I get cold hands so need to put liners sometimes. Good for warmer days or when it is wet.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Some friends are moving to 1800 for the season and I plan to be visitng them pretty much as soon as I can get out of the house after xmas, 26th early morning I think. Any advice on the least hassle/best value way of getting there. Having a nightmare trying different airline/airports/trains. I won't be going back to the UK as I live in Amsterdam now so want to do the train back, so one way only, any advice? Its really stressing me out.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
? SNCF Amsterdam to Paris - then Paris> Bourg?

Maybe restricted service on boxing day I guess, but the eurostar is making it all the way from London, so things are at least moving... subject to strikes, weather and other usual impediments to French travel arrangements.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
where are you leaving from?
snow report
Sorry yeah that wasn't clear, leaving from uk, any of the London airports or te train. Leaving Amsterdam 23rd to be with family for Xmas, the escaping them 26th!
snow conditions
charliwest, Flight to Leon.. Satobus to BSM? perhaps?

http://satobus-alpes.altibus.com/
latest report
charliwest, sorry mate, you are best to just grab what you can get at that time of year out from the UK, I booked my flights back last summer. Going home after is easy, train direct, not sure which day or time mind to Holland or somewhere near as loads of Dutch and Belgians come to Les Arcs.

Are your friends posting on here yet, they are welcome to come by and say hi. Quite a few of those posting on here are out for the season or quite often. Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

Flight to Leon

allanm,

wasnt that some mad film about a hit man allanm
snow conditions
Me thinks this thread's going just a wee bit off topic, it's in 'snow reports'.... perhaps not the best place.... for others.
latest report
Anyone want me to put them as a sponsor on the Zen Card application?
ski holidays
Looks very bleak up there today. Not much snow below 2500m, but the weather is suppose to close in now for a few days with snow forecast so here's hoping. One month to go so we do need that base to start forming now.
snow report
snowcrazy, Have faith, snowing down at 1800 at the moment.

http://www.bluebar.fr/videos.html

and as far as 1600.

http://www.lesarcsnet.com/webcam/les_arcs/103
snow conditions
thefatcontroller, What an amazing change in just a few hours, oh I love the mountains. Raining here so good news, now let us hope it stays cold. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
snowcrazy, Forecast is for a very white week (and cold) Cool
ski holidays
Its great to see the snow falling cant wait to be out there. What are the best "value for money" restaurants in either 2000 or 1950 and do we need to book?
latest report
snowmansteve, Best value restaurants in Arc 2000 and 1950 are the supermarkets in Bourg Saint Maurice wink Laughing
snow report
hi all we arrive 23 jan into 1950 where is the apres ,happy hours etc, charlie snowHead thanks
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
charlie26, welcome to the village.
Happy hours in Belles Pintes and in Luigis, best late entertainment is O'Chaud, although depends on the crowd in (or take a trip to 2000). Georges is a good craic, and where the British apartment owners hang out, but not "Austrian" in its intensity (Unless he has a lock in, and gets the karaoke out: then it can get a little silly.)

Pool tables in both Belle Pintes and Luigis, and both have live music at various points throughout the week, as well as sky tv. But the beers can get quite expensive... and then some.

The winter schedule of free street/evening entertainments for that week doesn't have any special events I'm afraid, but does include: grilled marshmallows around the fire, wine-tasting, poker evening, Oenolgy challenge (more wine testing I guess?) night skiing, torchlit descent, and 'snow golf', whatever the hell that is.

snowmansteve, what used to be the best vfm restaurant in 1950, Valentinos, has changed hands this year - still a pizza place, but now going to be called Refuge d'Elisa, after owners' mother apparently. No-one knows what it's going to be like yet! Although thefatcontroller was being a little sarcastic, he's not far off - grab your chicken from the supermarket in the village, and eat in.

But to be fair, of all the places where you can get a reasonable meal without a mortgage, I actually like the creperie: La Bolee.

In the village itself, there are 10 restaurants in all across a range of styles - French, Savoyard, mexican, tapas etc. There have been lots of changes coinciding both with PnV taking over, and with the general economic situation, it is tricky to know who is going to produce the good this year.

I think what I'm trying to say, badly, is there's lots of choice, but who knows what is going to be on offer this year - if you find a good one, please post!

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 15-11-10 22:47; edited 1 time in total
latest report
snowmansteve, charlie26, Without doudt, the best place in Arc 1950 for apre ski is George's Wine Bar, ski up to the door, and go straight in. There will be a few of us around the week you are out Charlie so it could become lively. Kids all back at school wink Steve, when are you out?

O'Chaud is ok but expensive. Belle Pintes and Luigis are ok as well, but unless George is singing, not as good as his place I do not think anyway. Drinks in Belle and George's are about the same, Luigis is more expensive.

As JimW, says, lots of changes so I do not know which place to recommend there to eat out yet for next season except the snack bar for the kids. Always a hit for burgers etc. Oh yes and the place Jim said near to George's, very nice.

And as thefatcontroller, says, buy your food down in Bourg and cook at home if you want to stay on budget. Eating out in France is not cheap.

Up in Arc 2000, only a short ride on the Gondola, (Jim do you know the opening times for the winter yet?) has also got some good bars with the younger scene well catered for. The Bowling is always lively, so is Yeti and a couple up top. Will post more details when I get back out there soon.
latest report
snowcrazy, haven't got precise cabriolet times yet, but given that we are fed up arguing with 2000 - tightwads won't pay anything towards it - and neither will BSM/Savoie region , despite declaring it illegal to walk the road after dark so how seasonaires are supposed to work in one and live in the other beats me - anyway....

As we know we are going to have to stump up the whole lot, we've budgetted for it, and so will open it at least as late as we ended up last year, and not the short handed 9:30pm stop we had to cope with early season in Dec. 2009.
More details when I get them.

Also, am expecting trinium to fix the village webcams this morning.
snow conditions
JimW, Also, am expecting trinium to fix the village webcams this morning. excellent,

Good to hear the cabriolet will be running at least same as last year as well.

Who has seen the web cams today. Very nice. Snow down to the valley, well almost but it does not look like it has settled, just wet and more to come according to the weather forecast. I can see a lot of green below 1400m still. We are all very happy now, I hope it stays this time. Toofy Grin

http://www.lesarcsnet.com/webcam/les_arcs/103
snow report
1950 cameras are on Cool

http://www.arc1950.com/en/hiver/le-village/Webcams/menu-id-118.html
ski holidays
Looking good - phew something to cheer me - just bounced over from the Religious Bigot's thread Shocked
snow report
tillywhim wrote:
just bounced over from the Religious Bigot's thread Shocked

Puzzled
latest report
snowcrazy,

We will be out 26 Dec can't wait. My wife and youngest are having dry ski lesson as they are first timers. Other 2 lads and I have skied before (me along time ago). We will be arriving by coach direct to Arc 2000. How easy is it to get back down to Bourge, don't want to waste to much skiing time shopping for groceries.
ski holidays
snowmansteve, tbh, its not too bad - you can ski to 1600 (or indeed the mid station, le Grange, snow-cover willing) and get the funicular, or the free inter-village bus: take an empty backpack. The PAYG bus (?€12) tends to wander around all the villages before heading down the hill into BSM, so is not direct, and can take well over an hour/90mins.

So as you suspect, if you don't have wheels, the extra cost of buying at the village supermarkets will probably not offset loss of ski time. Having shopped in both, the range in 1950 is signficantly better than 2000, and the costs are pretty much the same. You won't get placky carrier bags, but both will sell you sturdy recyclables at 50c a time - just don't forget to take them with you next time you go!

As an aside, one item is waaaay OTT. If you pop round to someone else's place for some pre-prandial nibbles, they only get the Pringles out for really special guests. And woe betide the man who drops one. These are a precious resource in the mountains, and should be treated with reverence. Feel honoured if you are offered some, and DONT eat them two at a time. Laughing
If you can't get to Bourg (where surprisingly, they are cheaper than the UK), bring them with you. They have a barter value...

We too arrive on 26th, looking forward to a cracking week.
ski holidays
JimW, I do not often disagree with your advice on here, but taking your skis down to Bourg for a shopping trip, nope. Not a good idea I would have thought. Evil or Very Mad although on a good day, skiing down to the mid station of the funi is fun to do. But the free bus to the funi is ok I agree. Toofy Grin

snowmansteve, If you are going shopping and want to go to superu in Bourg, I would get the free bus round from to Arc 2000 to the funi. Forget about skiing over, having skis with you will be a real pain down the valley and on the way back with the shopping.

The free bus transfer takes you to the funi, about 25min. Then down to the valley on the funi (you need to have your ski pass with you), if you are lucky the funny little milka train or town shuttle bus is running to save walking to superu 15 min about or Lidl 10 min. In a different place. If you finish skiing by 3pm you have time to shop and get back. Superu closes 7pm. For last bus back to Arc 2000 you need to be on the 8.30pm funi at the latest I think.

For the everyday shopping, like Jim says, the shop in Arc 1950 is better than the one in Arc 2000, or it was last year. But things are cheaper down the valley.

I get back about 29 Dec, so hope to see you in George's Wine bar in Arc 1950 for a beer one evening. If you fancy a ski, we could chat about that in the bar. Quite a few others out with kids that week so you all should have a fun time. Very Happy

Jim good job, the cams are great, thanks. Now I can see when George gets there.
snow conditions
thefatcontroller, any news about all the work up you place. Have they finished in time? Thanks for telling us the webcams were on at last. Very Happy

Just had a quick look at all the webcams, I know, very sad. Very Happy It looks like the snow line is about down to 1000m today, but very wet. Just a little bit of snow settled on the street by George's Wine Bar up in Arc 1950. It is good having the webcam pointing straight at his place. Think we need a lot more before the 11th Dec. I am SURE we will be ok. Toofy Grin
latest report
snowcrazy, pray tell which webcam shot shows Georges wine bar Puzzled
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy