Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Binding Inserts

Poster: A snowHead
eclectic, will do.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Upadate: Inserts will be with me early/mid Oct.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
have also ordered some of these, should be just the ticket and give some great flexibility to setups
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon, keep us posted, I will be after some.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon, count me in Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm a likely too.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So once the inserts are fitted, is it very easy to switch the bindings over? Thinking this could save me having to buy another pair of Barons when the Bibbys come... Or get a pair of the new Marker touring bindings for longer tours...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
clarky999, are you certified for screwdrivers?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes, by the guild of the garden shed lol.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You should be fine then wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Do they basically work like: a mini bucket thing (insert) fits into the hole in the skis, then you line the binding up with the holes and screw the binding screws into the bucket thing (and unscrew when you want to move the binding)?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
clarky999, slightly bigger holes than at present (cos the inserts have a thickness of their own), but you've got it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/component/page,shop.browse/category_id,46/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,1/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=46&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1&vmcchk=1
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quiver Killer inserts now in stock.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jondrums (the original designer of these inserts) has fallen out with PuderLuder and is now making his own:

http://www.bindingfreedom.com/
snow report
spyderjon, book me in squire.
snow conditions
spyderjon, Not that I want to "screw" up your business and I'd be more than happy to have you mount for me if I had an cheap n easy way of getting the skis to you but do you think a decent shop tech like at Bartletts might be able to mount inserts?
ski holidays
I like the idea of the DynaDuke swap plates mostly because I am unsure whether to go Dynafit or Duke (don't really know what I want tbh). Any thoughts?
latest report
This sounds like such a great idea!

I remember when Line intoduced the pre-mounted skis for similar reason and it all went Pete Tong, I broke 3 pairs of the reactor bindings! Wasn't difficult.

I would love to switch my Dynafits, Duke's, Schizo's around my skis!

Anyone know how much the inserts weigh? Out of curiousity as you will have a few on each ski!
snow report
fatbob, any decent tech should be able to mount them providing they have the correct drill & tap. The drill/tap kits are cheap enough to make it worth getting your own set for the shop to use on your skis. If your skis have already been drilled for the bindings then it's a doddle to fit the inserts yourself.

Jimmythefoot, A bag of 100 inserts weigh 122g on my spot on digi postal scales so individually they're weightless.
snow report
Jimmythefoot, would having inserts for different bindings not Swiss cheese the skis? That's why I was looking at the DynaDuke swap plate.
snow report
spyderjon, dont forget to save some for my new skis, see you in november Madeye-Smiley
latest report
scotia wrote:
Jimmythefoot, would having inserts for different bindings not Swiss cheese the skis? That's why I was looking at the DynaDuke swap plate.

Where can you get that?
snow report
Jimmythefoot, jondrums from TGR. You can also get Salomon/Dynafit plates. Look here.
snow conditions
This is awesome.

3 pairs of skis, one binding, amazing.

I'm in. I may even buy another pair of skis just because haha awesome!
snow report
Before you try and fit your inserts, take heed of these two threads:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201241
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202658
ski holidays
Now sold out of my original order of inserts (Neil, Jamie, Marc & Greg - yours are safely to one side) & I've pre-sold a good few of my next order which should be clearing customs in a few days. Future supply won't be an isuue but if you want them installing I'd recommend getting in touch soonest as my fitting time is limited.

fatbob, Bartlett's are mounting 3 sets this Fri for Dukes so after that they'll be fully trained up!
ski holidays
I've bitten the bullet on the Dynaduke plates. I'm still wondering if I've made the right decision, but unless my new skis turn up before Christmas it's pretty much immaterial!

spyderjon, as soon as I have shipping dates I'll book in for a trip to Nottingham.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon, That's news to Bartletts, who has this been arranged with? The workshop is V busy.
snow conditions
gsb, I've shipped 3 sets of inserts plus an installation kit to a client who told me that Bartlett's were mounting them on Fri.
snow report
spyderjon, phew, just got back from "the land down under" will pm to get set up sorted Laughing
ski holidays
There's a new tutorial over on Wildsnow:

http://www.wildsnow.com/3853/quiver-killer-binding-mount-inserts/
latest report
Quick thanks to spyderjon for fitting inserts to a couple of pairs of skis for me.

The bindings really do feel rock solid when screwed in to the inserts, so this seems like a great way to cart more than one pair of skis on flights with increasingly parsimonious luggage allowances. Any views on the use of Locktite to ensure the screws don't vibrate loose when you're skiing?
snow conditions
looking forward to picking up 3 pairs of skis with inserts inserted this weekend Cool
i'm interested in the loctite thing. would be nice not to have to bother with it
latest report
Yes, Blue Loctite:

http://www.wildsnow.com/3853/quiver-killer-binding-mount-inserts/
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/t_lkr_blue/overview/Loctite-Threadlocker-Blue-242.htm

When I initially started with stainless screws and brass inserts I would always drip some runny silicone down the holes before fitting. These days I don't bother but usually check them a couple of times through the week. I've found the odd one slightly loose but nothing worth worrying about. However, I imagine that nice shiny stainless on nice shiny stainless is going to be more slippy.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 24-11-10 15:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I have five pairs of skis needing mounting shortly, and am really interested in these. My main concern is finding someone with experience in the three valleys to do this. Other than this, and the potential for the binding screws to loosen, are there any other drawbacks?

Also, can they be easily "retrofitted" i.e. if a binding has already been mounted, can I remove binging, fit inserts, and remount?

Thinking about ordering some from Spyderjon anyway, and trying them out on an old pair of skis

TIA
ski holidays
Patch wrote:
Also, can they be easily "retrofitted" i.e. if a binding has already been mounted, can I remove binging, fit inserts, and remount

yes - if it is the same binding and in the same position you can just drill out the holes and make them bigger. you do then need to tap the holes - at this point it all gets too complicated and scary for a klutz like me and i hand it over to a professional like spyderjon
ski holidays
Arno, Thanks Arno, I'm a klutz at that sort of thing too, and need to find a place in the 3V I can trust to do this without screwing up my quiver. I want to mount or remount 3 pairs of Whitedots, an LP XXL, HSFR, Mantras ... potential for disaster
snow conditions
Drawbacks:

1) requires significantly more time and skill to install
2) if you remove bindings for transit there is more to get lost
3) adds a little weight
4) machine screws are potentially wobblier so make sure they are tight
5) M5 screws use a #2 Pozi not #3 like everything else on skis
6) moving your mount is not really an option
7) leaves exposed core around insert - makes sure this is sealed properly or use inserts with a lip
8) QuiverKillers have a machine thread on the outside which may not hold well in friable material
9) may be a problem in skis with a metal skin and a weak core - suggest Avdel nutserts instead eg:

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 24-11-10 16:51; edited 4 times in total
ski holidays
rob@rar, do you have to change brakes when mounting to your op art snowboards?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy