Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scottish Snow

Poster: A snowHead
Yup looks like sliding has commenced although visibility is a bit iffy with continued snow showers coming in (not that that's a bad thing though Very Happy ).

Hope everyone up there today has a great time.

BTW, just in case the West feels left out there are new Winterhighland webcams at Glencoe too, looks like some good accumulations of snow:

http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe/
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have a meeting in Dundee on the Monday before Xmas, is Glenshee likely be open on the weekend before. Would be a shame to drive all the way up there and not give Scotland another go.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ptarmigan Tow was open in the morning with the Ciste Tow coming on at lunchtime. All Top Basin runs open and complete with fantastic snow/cover on the Ciste Fairway, really well drifted in with the fence lines loaded for opening day.

With a couple of stretches of combat skiing I notched up the first full length decent of the M1 RaceTrack, if we get some more snow over the next couple of days to a couple of hundred feet lower than last weeks some middle runs/uplift could go. Upper Cas could just about go at the moment, indeed fence depth drifts in places on it.

^Ptarmigan Tow doing it's thing for the first day of the 2009/10 Season.

More Photos: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=556
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looking good:

ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Winterhighland, how many people were there Alan? looks like a reasonable turnout
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
might want to edit the glencoe link at the top of the page from .com to .co.uk then people will be able to get to the new site.
www.glencoemountain.co.uk
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Glenogle, thanks! Done.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snow down to Loch Morlich this morning and the White lady webcams are showing more snow snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Anyone know if the Cairngorm mountain are planning to open this week?

Would take a day or two of and work the weekend if they are like.

Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd keep an eye on winterhighland Dave, their latest info here says:

http://www.winterhighland.info/general/

Quote:

CairnGorm Mountain is not intending to be open for snowsports this coming week as the annual maintenance programme is wrapped up. The Funicular will be open this week though and snowsports maybe available if cover were to improve on the lower third of the middle slopes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dave_wick, the Cairngorm website is currently stating:
Quote:
For early December CairnGorm Mountain is committed to running lifts and tows for weekend skiing (Saturday and Sundays) and we will review midweek skiing on a daily basis. There is sufficient snow at present to operate both the Ciste and Ptarmigan lifts but there is insufficient snow for a run from the top to the middle. The level of midweek demand from customers is being monitored. At present levels of interest a midweek skiing operation is not commercially viable. We will review interest levels and conditions daily as we move forward through December.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looking at the Winterhighland Glencoe webcams it looks like it's snowing heavily in the West right now and the BBC are forecasting "up to a foot" of snow overnight on the Grampians so hopefully Cairngorm will get it too - fingers crossed! snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cairngorm is open for snowsports tomorrow, from the Cairngorm Mountain website:
Quote:
Information for Thursday 3rd December:
Weather permitting we intend to offer some snowsports with skiing and boarding from the top to the middle and use of the M1 poma back to the top but NO middle station stops. The Ciste Bowl will also be open. Early season conditions apply with some good snow in places but also quite a lot of rocks visible, and therefore will be for intermediate to experts only and no beginners.
Weather forecast for Thursday: Some light rain or snow showers possibly, and generally cloudy all day with little or no sun.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
roga, Good to see the season kicking off up in Scotland. snowHead More snow forecast today from looking at the news. snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
as I posted on winterhighland: Up in the Ptarmigan just now. Vertically falling snow but visibility as flat as an A4 sheet of paper. First 3/4 of Traverse/105 very nice snow. Gunbarrel open now but narrow. Maybe about 30 in the resto. M1 and Ciste tows running as planned.

Hope I've not mixed my piste names up.

Andy
snow conditions
andytb wrote:
visibility as flat as an A4 sheet of paper.

that qualifies as bluebird up here!

hoping to get out at the weekend Toofy Grin
snow conditions
OMG, it looks awesome up there today - more fresh overnight and now really sunny!

How jealous am I sitting here at work looking at the webcams!

2 weeks and counting.... snowHead
ski holidays
 brian
brian
roga, hope they're making the most of it, forecasts are somewhat rollercoaster after today. Hope the down bits aren't a total washout ...
snow report
My one word snow report follows:

Bluebird.
ski holidays
Oh my, the webcams at Cairngorm have just made me do a little wee.

Why oh why did I choose to live on the South Coast of England? WHY LORD?
latest report
Wow!

Info for Friday 4th December:
We are open for snowsports today, weather conditions are fabulous! Dry, bright and sunny with a temperature of minus 2C and virtually no wind. It's a suncream and shades day!
We have the funicular railway, M1 poma and Coire na Ciste t'bar open.
Snow conditions on the Ciste side are superb. The White Lady run is open, it's unpisted and very difficult, for EXPERT skiers / snowboarders only.
It is possible to ski/board back to the base station via the home road although it's a bit sketchy in places. 3cm of fresh snow on the other available runs.
ONLY INTERMEDIATES AND EXPERTS - NO BEGINNERS
snow conditions
Quote:
It's a suncream and shades day!

LOL, some of those taking sickies today to ski might have a bit of explaining to do Monday when they turn up to work looking like pandas!
snow report
*sigh*

ski holidays
Just to torture you (and me) more Paulio here are some photos just posted on Highland Instinct ...

*sigh*
ski holidays
I need to find some way of bringing on an ice age, so that we get some natural ski areas in the South.

Can you all go and turn all the lights on in your house and boil kettles repeatedly please.
snow conditions
That looks awesome. The forecast is all over the place at the moment, hope it comes good.
ski holidays
got back mid afternoon after a great few hours at Cairngorm , even the pictures dont really tell how good it was , shared a T-Bar on the Ciste Tow with a guy from Oxford up visting friends , first time skiing in Scotland ........... how lucky can you get , Ive only skied in conditions like that about 5 timres in the last 6 years.

Here's a few more photos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44327814@N08/4158479676/in/set-72157622810099085/
ski holidays
I've been at work all day, watching the web cams. Not good viewing, when you know the weather forecast for tomorrow is no where near as good.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
super day at cairngorm today photos here http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=128990&id=589243072&l=968adf20f4
snow conditions
A small selection of photos up on Winterhighland from the 'Gorm today. Superb day, but spent most of the afternoon under the M1 Timing Hut !

CairnGorm Photos
^Looking up towards the Ptarmigan Restaurant and M1 Poma from the M1/Traverse split on Friday.
latest report
Looks great, and a bonus to have this before Christmas. Very Happy
snow report
easiski, yes a definite bonus but not unusual for the Gorm to open, at least at the top, before Xmas. The snow looks particularly good though in the photos from Friday - hope you're surprising the locals in L2A by showing them the photos from Scotland Wink

Today apparently there was a bit of a thaw on the lower slopes but snow falling all day from around 800 metres up.
ski holidays
The snow was still pretty good on Saturday - I would just have liked to have been able to see it Wink. Weather was foul on saturday, windy with heavy wet snow and no vis from about the level where you skip under the train if doing the Lady starting from the M1 and above. I was absolutetly soaked by the end of the day. Sunday was much better weather wise, with decent vis to above the Ptarmigan. Still windy and the snow had crisped up and was hard. Big problem was the icebalsting you got on the tows.

Still a decent weekends skiing for early season. Another 6 more days and I'll be skiing for free Very Happy
ski holidays
Shaping up to be a cracking weekend weatherwise, snow is firm to hard packed on CairnGorm, but generally grippy rather than icy up top and down the Traverse/105. Top to middle riding giving 1300ft of vertical with the M1 Poma, Ciste and Ptarmigan Tows, plus funicular due to open. Coire Cas may open at the weekend if demand warrants it, patrol will have a look at how the piste bashers might be able to get a loading ramp built (some risk assessment process decided that dropping ropes of towers for mid-line loading is a no no Sad ) .

Sharpen the edges and look out the sun cream for a beautiful weekend for being in the mountains. snowHead
ski holidays
Bluebird and wind free day at Cairngorm today... best snow was in the top bowl where all runs were full width... best run was the fairway which was getting the most traffic so there was a little loose on top of the hard pack... Mid mountain was very firm... traverse was slick but the 105 took an edge (just) didn't fancy the M1 with such firm snow but it was full width to the cut off..... gun barrel is getting narrow and slick.....

photo...
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3057026&l=9c5c467cb5&id=589243072
ski holidays
Couple of photos from Friday, perfect weather day, more of the same Saturday, still settled for Sunday but maybe some cloud rolling around:

^Skier on the Ciste Fairway, full width between the fences, firm but grippy snow. Ptarmigan Bowl more extensively pisted giving layer of loose sugary snow.

^Skier heads for Coire Cas on the Traverse.

More: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=559,1,1

Piste basher crew have completely rebuild the Zig Zags and link to the M1 Poma, huge amount of snow moved around giving a good quality link to the Poma. With this traffic the Traverse and 105 really loosened up later in the day, with the Zig Zags available this could be the best run for Saturday (On Friday the Zig Zags were closed while the Piste Bashers were working and the infamous Coire Cas Gunbarrel was doing it's best luge track impression!

Of the pisted and more heavily trafficed areas the snow is firm up top, becoming increasingly hard packed and slick towards the middle. M1 is hard, will take a sharp edge, but no fun if your on blunt rock hoppers (which there's no real need for if you stick to the main open trails). White Lady is a disaster zone, rough and frozen solid, great base but leave it till we get more snow! Talking of which there is a base in most of the places it's needed, thus it would not take much new snow to really crank up operations. The Ciste Gully is complete to the boardwalks, the M2 is complete to Overyonder, so just need snow to stick down there and fill in the West Wall Poma track and we could have the whole mountain above mid-station open.

Snow showers are forecast to follow the settled spell and despite apparent air temperatures above freezing on the mountain the ground and snow is frozen, and will stay so under the dry air of inversion conditions. Very promising base for the first third of December, fingers crossed. snowHead
snow report
looks stunning up there at the moment, gutted i cant get up there, due to be in dumfries for new year so might just accidently miss the turn off for the A75 and continue up to the highlands!!!
latest report
The piste skiing is pretty rock solid right now.
However the ski touring in the Cairngorm's has been awesome.
Managed 17km / 1000m tour on Thursday - which should help get some of the ski fitness back Very Happy
One of those days where it is just nice to be out in the mountains.

http://www.haggistrap.co.uk/photostrs/macduigoattrack.shtml

snow report
Lets hope for similar conditions tomorrow, Sunday - I'll be over for a ski and if conditions are good I'll be heading over the back.
latest report
Still pondering over a trip up on Monday as I've got the day off.

Looks very tempting but sad to see that 'flurries' forecasted moved from monday to tuesday.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy