Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scottish Snow

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

and certainly getting the timing right was a breeze this year pretty much

This is so completely untrue. Don't get me wrong, I love Scotland and many of the best days skiing, boarding kayaking, ice climbing etc that I have ever had have been in Scotland. However the worst thing about Scotland is definitely that it is not possible to plan ahead. I have been up 4 times this year and plan to go again this weekend. Although the conditions were good for Scotland I think it is fair to say that we got the worst 5 weekends skiing this year. With jobs, kids, chores, realtives etc etc and living 300 miles away it is completely down to luck whether you get good conditions. And the fact that Nevis Range refuse to give any useful info about when Braveheart will run just makes it all the more impossible to decide when to go.

You may get lucky in Scotland, and when you do it's great, but if you need to book ahead then you're likely to be dissapointed. Even in the fabulous season we've just had.

Following on from which, is this weekend going to be a washout or is it worth a go?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
TheGeneralist, I'm leaving it until Friday night to decide (and I only live 2.5 hours away).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Quote:

and certainly getting the timing right was a breeze this year pretty much

This is so completely untrue. Don't get me wrong, I love Scotland and many of the best days skiing, boarding kayaking, ice climbing etc that I have ever had have been in Scotland. However the worst thing about Scotland is definitely that it is not possible to plan ahead. I have been up 4 times this year and plan to go again this weekend. Although the conditions were good for Scotland I think it is fair to say that we got the worst 5 weekends skiing this year

5 times the weather forecasts were wrong this season?? can you tell me these 5 weekends because i think the forecasts have been pretty accurate.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I have been up 4 times this year and plan to go again this weekend. Although the conditions were good for Scotland I think it is fair to say that we got the worst 5 weekends skiing this year

Quote:

5 times the weather forecasts were wrong this season?? can you tell me these 5 weekends because i think the forecasts have been pretty accurate.

I don't disagree, I've not gone skiing in CairnGorm a number of times this year, cos the forecast has been poor and have instead gone and done xc in the Clash, only to find Cairngorm has had a bluebird day, the wind has been reasonable and everyone was skiing in foot deep powder Sad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
TheGeneralist,

sorry but I can plan ahead. It helps that I'm close but even without that, I've had to try to plan pretty far ahead this year due to having a new nipper in tow and so my passes out have been limited.

Statements like "worst thing about Scotland is definitely that it is not possible to plan ahead", simply states your inability / bad luck in planning ahead. Yes you need to try to be flexible (always difficult I know only too well) and yes the forecast etc can go wrong, BUT planning is the key. Planning meaning utilising the better info available, live reports, direct-from-the-hill updates, and a little common sense - plan ahead for Spring, not mid-January.

It really annoys me when people conclude so vociferously that "it's so completely untrue", nonsense, it's done all the time. It just needs a bit more effort (and yes ok some luck Razz ). Though maybe I just dreamt the season and successfully planned days I and many folk that I know from all over have just had??

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
^^ that's the gorms though and that's been my experience too as in weather conditions way better than forecasted in many instances or same as forecast. I think TheGeneralist may be referring to the west though and Nevis in particular?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
barry wrote:
sorry but I can plan ahead. ........., I've had to try to plan pretty far ahead this year due to having a new nipper in tow and so my passes out have been limited.........Yes you need to try to be flexible :

Sorry, can you just confirm, are you planning ahead or are you being flexible? We've clearly got different definitions of planning ahead. By planning ahead, I mean selecting specific weekends and either booking for the in laws to fly over from Germany or arrange for the parents to drive down for the weekend and look after the sprogs. As far as i'm aware neither of those can be done much less than 3 months in advance.

barry wrote:

/ bad luck in planning ahead

Definitely agree. In the amazing season that has occurred this year I have been unlucky with the weekends that I chose.

barry wrote:
Planning meaning utilising the better info available, live reports, direct-from-the-hill updates, and a little common sense - plan ahead for Spring, not mid-January.

None of these would be of any use in planning ahead to the degree that I would need to do. They are brilliant resources and I'm really impressed with the work that Alan has done to transfrom the info available on Scottish skiing but for me, living where I do, they are mainly of use to confirm whether or not I guessed the right weekend when I booked it months ago.

Barry - Just out of interest, what is your defenition of planning ahead, how many days are we talking here?

Quote:
I didn't say that the forecasts were wrong, I said that it is not possible to plan ahead. Like I said above, it depends on your definition of plan. If your definition of plan is to chose certain weekends a long time in advance and then ski them then it pretty much all comes down to luck. If your definition of plan is looking at the weather forecast the week before, looking at live reports etc etc and go skiing on the weekends where it looks good then I think you'll find that is actually covered by the defintion of flexibility.

Quote:
"worst thing about Scotland is definitely that it is not possible to plan ahead",

So Barry, what would you say was the worst thing? It's not the terrain, which is brilliant. It's not the weather, which can be brilliant. It's not the snow, cos that can be brilliant too. It's not the cost of petrol, cos even £130 is worthwhile spending if it all works out. It's not the queues, cos they were almost non existent this year.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
all i'm saying is you CAN plan ahead, I do it all the time. I had family visit this year - planned before christmas and they had some nice days - could it have all gone bad and not got skiing? yes absolutely, but that can happen anywhere. Is it more difficult to plan far in advance in Scotland - no question that's true, BUT with a bit of actualy PLANNING ( Laughing ) you can do it! (fair dues a plan b does no harm to have!). I had dozens of friends over for a school reunion type effort a couple of years ago, planned around a few days skiing, and yes we all went skiing. How comes half-term and easter are always rammed on the hill, with ski school lessons booked up months (and sometimes yes even a year in advance)? do folk all descend on spec?

and I wasnt trying to argue for a different "worst thing about Scotland" - those were your words, I just have experienced that while yes it can be tricky and a bit of a punt (ye shoulda been up here yesterday Laughing ), it is definitely possible (as opposed to your assertion that it's definitely impossible) to plan ahead. There are ways to increase your chances of success. impossible when you've done it maybe (i feel for ya i really do), but not impossible, nowhere near

peace out, I'm off for a crafty ski after a hard day riding the desk. I planned it this morning NehNeh
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
I planned it this morning

arf.
Anyway, back to the other question, do you think it will be any good this weekend? I've been watching the forecast for 6 days now which has resolutely said that it will be great all this week, warm and pissy over the weekend, and then nice again from Monday Sad. Alas I booked this weekend a few weeks ago.

But i might go up anyway and go to WolfTraxx if the skiing is no good.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
grrr, best laid plans NehNeh ...got nabbed for more busywork before I could get outta the office Mad

weekend forecast improving for the saturday at least, though still a bit warm (nothing too bad though - it was much MUCH warmer up there last week). Still tons of snow

first stop for forecast usually (updates daily mid afternoon for the next 3 days out):

http://www.mwis.org.uk/mountain/EH.PDF
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Does anyone have any idea how feasible the Coire Laogh Mor route will be and how easy/difficult it will be to hitch a lift back up to the Cas car park afterwards?
I'm assuming there will be a bit of walking required but would still love to give it a go.

Anyone planning to go that way this weekend?

cheers
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've just cancelled my trip to Norway. Norefjell closes on Saturday. So I may be in one of the sloipes. Possibly Glencoe but not too sure whether to risk my own skis there at this time of the year. May have one day at cairngorm if I can hack the 2.5 hour drive.

Cheers
Bob
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
not too sure whether to risk my own skis there at this time of the year

Well I had hoped to be taking a new pair of planks out, alas they'll remain bindingless for a while longer due to an unexpected and fairly hefty repair bill for my car. Sad

In spring there's an established base, the main problem with rocks is thin fresh cover, esp early season. On the main open terrain at CairnGorm and Glencoe there's no issue just now. If you ski to the bottom, there are some thin and narrow areas, go carefully and it will be ok, with an old base even where thin most of the problems are visible - there's no guarantee though, but the worst gouge I've ever done to a plank was in Kirkwood, California in an 850+ inch season, so no guarantees anywhere!

TheGeneralist, sent you a PM, re Laogh Mor.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scottish resorts need to create some sort of video which advertises their resort to all crowds e.g.
http://youtube.com/v/47lyfk19DgY

Thats probably THE best video I've seen advertising the start of a resorts season, notice that it features piste skiing, spectating, powder and big mountain skiing, it also features the lifestyle. So into a short, under 2 minute video with a catchy song they've got in nearly everything that Whistler Blackcomb is about.

Yes ok Scotland isn't Whistler but with the winter we've had we should have plenty of footage of quality skiing and the resorts should be able to produce something similar to get people noticing Scottish skiing.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
milnerhome, I particularly like the
Telluride Winter 2009/2010 Ski Teaser which admittedly is for a narrower crowd of people than the Whistler one which is very effective I must say.

I agree that some online viral marketing with videos wouldn't go amiss and Cairngorm have actually been pretty good at posting videos on YouTube this season, mostly ski patrol reports and shots of big digs etc. though.

There is a video shot in 2008 on YouTube,
Ski Scotland winter 08, which is not too bad but certainly not as slick or appealing as either the Whistler or Telluride ones and I agree something more up to date and designed to appeal to a wide audience would be good (especially if it showed The Lecht off in better light than the 08 one!).
snow conditions
roga, agreed with you on the Telluride video.

Cairngorm have been good with the videos but they are still only videos of digging out and various things, good they may be but they don't advertise what Scotland has to offer.

The reason that I like the Whistler vid is because it creates a sense of anticipation and generates excitement for the winter ahead, the resorts need to invest in a clean cut glossy video to attract new-comers, they've had plenty perfect opportunity's and conditions this season to gather footage of amazing skiing.

A half page glossy article in fall line with a sick picture or a few seconds TV commercial could make all the difference as far as numbers are concerned, but caingorm.. please re-instate a bloody chair lift! Evil or Very Mad Laughing
snow conditions
milnerhome wrote:
caingorm.. please re-instate a bloody chair lift!

wink

Just a reminder to any snowheads that might not have yet signed the online petition calling for reinstatement of the Coire na Ciste and West Wall Chairlifts at CairnGorm, you can do so at www.savetheciste.com.

Every signature really does count. Thanks all Smile

ski holidays
Everyone is wrong scottish skiing is cr@p and we lapped one run in the rain today...

Dont go to cairngorm, its awful

Twisted Evil

Cas headwall

No2 gully.

Ski anywhere conditions down to the mid mountain and whoever put the rollers and bumps in at the side of coire cas - genius!
ski holidays
milnerhome, liking the Telluride video. Nice.
latest report
firstracks, Now signed. I noticed what a sorry state the Ciste chair looked when I was there a couple of weeks ago. Bit of a shock as my previous visit was 11 years ago. New Ptarmigan restaurant quite nice though although sad about the Sheiling. Regards.
snow conditions
billb - thanks to yourself and any other snowheads that have signed the petition. Appreciate it! Smile
latest report
CGM still has great skiing conditions although the sticky snow today means you need to concentrate! Pick of the day for me was White Lady which was excellent fun with the moguls towards the lower part of the run. Skiing top to bottom will probably end tomorrow as there's now only a 2 foot path of snow at the bottom of the Lower Slopes going onto Burnside (which is also very narrow).

Almost certainly the most fun I've had skiing all season (with around 15 days at Cairngorm alone!)
snow report
Quote:

Skiing top to bottom will probably end tomorrow as there's now only a 2 foot path of snow at the bottom of the Lower Slopes going onto Burnside (which is also very narrow).

Yesterday we found almost full width cover via 'The Slot' run/near the Car Park tow line - a lot more fun than the Burnside way.

Quote:

Almost certainly the most fun I've had skiing all season

Puzzled Puzzled
Each to their own - but we found the sticky snow (stickiest we've ever skied anywhere, ever - trying to make fresh tracks in the new stuff was like skiing through glue in slow motion) was hard going. I heard a couple of people describing it as "awful" - still, better than not skiing I'd say - and the trafficed/pisted bits skied a lot better as the day wore on.
snow report
I didn't ski off piste yesterday so I can't comment but I found the unpisted (as most appeared to be) runs completely fine. As I said earlier you need to concentrate a little more than normal but excellent fun nevertheless. Each to their own I suppose!

As for skiing top to bottom, I will be really surprised if you can find an unbroken route by tomorrow. Burnside was only one of a few very narrow runs below Sheiling station.
ski holidays
Glencoe on Facebook wrote:
Glencoe Mountain Resort last day of snowsports for the season, thank you to everyone that came and enjoyed the great snow we had this winter, all 21630 individual skier/boarder days have been brilliant, come visit us in summer for some bike action and other activities!

Looks like Cairngorms is the only one left with Nevis talking of an opening for May day weekend overhead conditions dependant. What a season it has been.
snow report
I see Cairngorm are advertising for a part time marketing assistant.
ski holidays
david@mediacopy wrote:

ooh wink Laughing
snow report
david@mediacopy wrote:

I'll send in my CV for a laugh.... and run a sweepstake on whether they rip it up, shred it, put it on the staff room dartboard or chuck it on the Log Fire in the Daylodge! Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Some pix to follow later this evening from the 'Gorm. Surface conditions on the mid mountain continuing to come back to us in the prevailing mild weather, much improved with more granular and increasingly spring like snow, but still slooooooooooow soft fresh snow in the Top Basin - which at a guess will make plateau touring extremely hard going just now.
snow report
^^ lol, would like to be a fly on the wall when that arrives Alan!

BTW, are you planing on being around Cairngorm Bank Holiday weekend? Maybe meet up when we're up with the Snowheads folk?
latest report
arv wrote:
Glencoe on Facebook wrote:
Glencoe Mountain Resort last day of snowsports for the season, thank you to everyone that came and enjoyed the great snow we had this winter, all 21630 individual skier/boarder days have been brilliant, come visit us in summer for some bike action and other activities!

Looks like Cairngorms is the only one left with Nevis talking of an opening for May day weekend overhead conditions dependant. What a season it has been.

Yep, a brilliant season but because of usual time & cash constraints, my Scotland ski day count is still about the same as the last few years. It was still a brilliant last day at Glencoe yesterday though even if 20 laps from the top T-Bar felt like twice that because of the sticky snow & very limited visibility. Tired legs today. Smile

Nevis too ? Hoped to get up to CG next weekend to make a 15th (and maybe last for the season) Scottish ski day but maybe 16 is a possibility. I gather there's still some kind of plan for a SH's meet ?
ski holidays
moffatross, yup click on the link for details: Snowheads May Bank Holiday trip to Cairngorm
latest report
Thanks roga. I'll be there too then (if the lifts are spinning) & look forward to putting some faces to names Smile I may bring along one or two younger moffats too if they can cope with the distraction from their exam revision & Xbox respectively. Toofy Grin
snow report
^ cool, I'll have my kids in tow too (6 & 10) - can I add you to the list of snowheads on the thread coming over the weekend? How many days are you planning on being there?
ski holidays
Well there is still plenty of cover in resort! And hell, when the sun came out it became a pretty nice day!

Some more pictures from in-bounds at CairnGorm can be seen here

Around early-afternoon I boosted over to Sneachda (neighbouring coire) to check out a line called Forty Thieves that I've been eyeing up since 2006.

About to drop into Forty Thieves. CairnGorm beyond

Forty Thieves is the first obvious skiable line to the skiers right of Aladdin's Couloir, and is towards the right of the photo up on the headwall (about 1/3rd in from the right hand edge)

Barely any cars in the carpark today. Doesn't bode well....
snow report
firstracks, Can you point me to any on-line reference for the location and best way to find these lines ? Presumably they to the west side of the ski area and you track across the top ?
snow report
firstracks, I suspect that we have different definitions of 'obviously skiable line' Shocked
Looks impressive though.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
david@mediacopy,

Aladdin's is marked on the OS 1:25000 map. Try this

http://www.multimap.com/s/h1IDQsAF
snow report
brian, cheers, thanks for that. I guess the 'exit' is to loop around to be bottom of the White Lady area ?
snow report
david@mediacopy,

for the exit back there'll likely be some walking to do at this stage but not a lot - best would be back up onto the fiacaill ridge as "soon" as you can after descent (ridge between main Coire Cas ski area and Sneachda) and you'll be able to ski back down into the cas. Other wise, it aint a bad hoof out along the pretty obvious climbers path - that takes you around to base station
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy