Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes - Interseason and summer 2009

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone know where you can leave a car near Grenoble airport for a few days? (cheaply)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Super U's car park for free. No security though. Alternatively, airport parking at Grenoble is cheap.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No idea about the conditions but it was boiling hot today. I had to go down to Bourg d'Oisans and nearly melted - so did the radiator in the van. Shocked rolling eyes Up tomorrow early, so I'll take the camera and let you know how it is.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Butterfly wrote:
Aww poor Ioda! We just had to chase a chicken out of the lounge - cheeky thing! Got them just running free at the mo as there is nothing in the garden they can do too much damage to and we'd left the conservatory door open for the cats rolling eyes

Thread creep but how do your chooks survive the cats? Wondering cos I want some hens.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Helen Beaumont, my sister has both hens and cats - they co-exist. The cats were there first and there really isn't a problem. Main problem is finding someone to mind the hens when they're away. They've had great neighbours who do so, and keep the eggs for their trouble, but they are moving away from the area and my sister is having to think hard about planned holiday trips versus the chickens. Any old bod can help with the cats but the chickens need someone 100% reliable on timing or the fox'll get them.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Helen Beaumont, Nexy time I see you remind me to tell you a funny story about my first chickens!

Sunny today, not too much wind but the temps are supposed to get colder and it'll snow at altitude. Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easiski, Hi! just spotted this thread.
Hope you're well, and please give Ioda a big cuddle for us. He really is just the most amazingly friendly cat, I loved the way he'd jump on you and shuffle back and forth until he was in what he thought was just about the optimum position for strokes/cuddles, then he'd just keel over - he doesn't sit down, he falls!
I can confirm that four of us will be coming for a week this winter. As soon as I've confirmed the dates I'll be in touch vis-a-vis some lessons.
I hope, in the meantime, that you have an enjoyable summer season, and that Ioda has a wonderful time catching lots of mice!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
youspurs1, thanks! Ioda is in my VERY bad books today having kept me awake most of the night. Sad This after coming in at 22.30 and not settling down for an hour - grrrrr Twisted Evil The alarm clock was set for 5.30, but I ended up getting up at 5.00 anyway. Hopefully tonight will be better. The falling down thing is funny isn't it? I think we're getting near the end of the vole season, I expect it'll be lizzard season before long. (and I don't mean the snowhead) Shock

Warm and sunny with a few clouds around today. The snow wasn't too bad and there wasn't more than a breath of wind on the glacier. The higher runs were hard early but softening when we stopped atjust before 11.00. The French Geantistes were training next to the Dome - very fast. Shocked Not bad all in all, but a lot of snow has disappeared since last saturday. Sad Still OK on the glacier of course. Pic of the Toura area taken from the Jandri express on the way down - sorry about the marks on the window.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It was much colder today and due to the extreme melt/refreeze yesterday and last night the snow was rock hard early on, but did get softer of course later on. I showed Fastman around and introduced him to lots of people. Very Happy

I've taken a pic today of the centre of town with all the bright banners and tents for the Mondial du VTT. It finishes tomorrow, but I shall certainly recommend that all the summer campers wander round tomorrow afternoon. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What a day to start the summer camp with! Fresh snow - about 10cms all over the glacier and the snow line down at 2,400m, although that was a dusting which melted back very quickly during the morning. We started off a bit late, but hardly anyone had made tracks on Signal to the warm up was a fair bit of fresh snow. Very Happy After we did the split and the first day video, we went our separate ways, but I just had to take my guys onto the bottom of l'Echines - first to traverse in peace, and then to have a run down the last bit int he fresh while it was still there. Very Happy

There was a fair bit of sun, but it was cold and a bit windy to start with, although the wind did drop a fair bit later in the morning. It was quite cold though, but winter clothes sorted that out. Light cloud drifted around all morning making for some truly spectacular views from time to time. Pic looking over towards the Dome from the run down from the top of the Signal chair to the Signal/Roche Mantel run. Very Happy

WOW! WOW! WOW!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski, sounds great. forecast snow later in the week I think Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski, fantastic Very Happy Can't wait for next week snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
easiski wrote:
WOW! WOW! WOW!

Excellent! Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont wrote:
Butterfly wrote:
Aww poor Ioda! We just had to chase a chicken out of the lounge - cheeky thing! Got them just running free at the mo as there is nothing in the garden they can do too much damage to and we'd left the conservatory door open for the cats rolling eyes

Thread creep but how do your chooks survive the cats? Wondering cos I want some hens.

There is no problem at all - they are all slightly wary of each other but co-exist fine. A few years ago we had an issue with the peacock & one cat who decided to leap on him from behind - heaven knows why rolling eyes . Peacock took off, cat aboard but cat soon fell off fortunately from a height of no more than a few feet. Result? Cat whimpering on my knee for 20 mins from the fright and peacock whimpering on the flat roof for a similar period. Hilarious!

Easiski delighted you're having a great 1st week. Say hi to everyone from me and tell them an extensive trip report with pics is required!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good pics, easiski.

How do the conditions compare with this time last year and the 2 or 3 years before that? Better, same or worse?
snow conditions
Whitegold, Similar to 2 years ago, not nearly as good as last year. Spring too hot and rainy. Sad
snow report
today was cold and windy and foggy for the first half of the morning - brrrrrrrr. Sad Good for the snow of course. It did cheer up later and the sun came out but it was still cold and windy. There'll be an improvement from tomorrow Very Happy and I'm afraid I forgot to take a photo today - my bad - sorry. Embarassed
snow report
Fabulous today! Very Happy Very Happy Really nice snow, warmer than yesterday - wall to wall sunshine, and the wind dropped a fair bit as well! Not only that but we were all on time and started skiing only 5 mins after we were supposed to - a record! Laughing Nothing more to say really, pic looking up towards the super pipe from the restaurant terrace. Anyone who doesn't love this must not love skiing!
snow conditions
All I can say is oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh! Is it really a year since we were there last June?
snow report
Butterfly, Yes - sad isn't it? Today very very warm. There was a light breeze but the snow on the lower slopes did soften up quite early in the day, but apparently the highest slope (La Lauze) was still in very good condiion right at the end of the day. We skied down the Dome - well the racetrack at the side of the piste at getting on for 12.30 and the snow was wonderful - soft and silky, but virgin snow in between where the courses had been set. Very Happy Very Happy It's really just a matter of keeping your wits about you and watching and then you still get the best snow. Very Happy General pic looking over to the Dome and L'Echines late on. L'Echines is starting to go and will be getting well dodgy if the promised warm temps stick around. Sad
snow report
Another lovely and very warm day today. There was a bit of breeze on the glacier to keep us from roasting, and the snow, which was really nice hard corduroy first thing, softened up fairly quickly. Sad OTOH that meant that most of the racers went down early, leaving the mountain much quieter and with great spots where they'd taken out their poles. Laughing Laughing

Pic from the top of the funicular looking over at the Ecrins, with the Barre des Ecrins as the big mountain with snow on it. Very Happy
snow conditions
sorry I didn't post on Friday, but I was a tad busy with the end of the summer camp week one. Anyway I didn't go up yesterday but Fast man said it was OK. This morning it was very warm and the snow softened up early and got softer. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but obviously is not quite what we expect in June. Sad On the other hand it's lovely and warm so therefore a great holiday week weather-wise. Very Happy
Pic of Signal and the bottom of L'Echines showing the deterioration - hopefully it'll turn cold and snow and reverse this before too long.
snow conditions
today has again been hot and sunny. the snow had re-frozen last night, but softened up about 09.00. At this point the Signal became hectic with loads of peeps who'd started at 9. rolling eyes Fortunately we'd started at 08.00 so had already got a fair bit of work in. Very Happy Later we found very nice snow to the side of the super pipe where they'd taken down the racecourses early and then finished off down the French team training piste on the Dome (see pic). It's very hard to see our tracks there, although they were visible to the eye. Sad
snow conditions
easiski, interesting to see how much rock there is appearing on the bottom of the Echines de Chevres, any crevasses poking through yet?
snow conditions
Swirly, Yes - 3 holes between the two big rocks. Sad It's gone now. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

today was again incredibly hot and sunny. The snow re-froze well overnight, but again softened up quickly and relatively early. After our break we went up to the Lauze where the snow was still good for the rest of the morning. Pic of La Meije poking up over the Dome de la Lauze.
latest report
I'm afraid I don't have a photo today - I spent ages trying to work out how to capture one frame of the vid which would have been good, but haven't succeeded. Sorry. Sad Anyway it was .................. you've guessed it - hot and sunny. Laughing Laughing Laughing the snow was softer, earlier than yesterday but still very skiable if you ski smart WRT where and when you ski. More tomorow.
ski holidays
the extremely hot weather is continuing, and of course it's great - but .... The melt is about 3 weeks ahead of schedule, so it's not much good for the snow. It is nice for us though. Very Happy

Here's a pic of looking down the Signal (while it's still open) this morning.
ski holidays
Actually it was slightly cooler today thanks to a light breeze and a bit more cloud around than recently. It would seem as though the weather might be changing. The snow was soft quite early on Signal and I took the photo to show you the damage at the bottom of the Dome. However we skied the Dome at 12.30 and it was great. Very Happy I'm not at all sure how long Signal will last though, and mostly we're thinking not more than another week, if that. Sad Of course this doesn't affect the higher (main) runs, but it's still a shame to lose it so early.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For comparison, here is one I took at the end of June 2008. Not quite the same shot, mine was lower down but still interesting.
latest report
Butterfly, Good comparison - shocking really. Sad It's been a bit cooler and yesterday it rained in the evening which was good for the garden. I eagerly looked at La Muzelle this morning, but no snow on the summit (3,300ish) so I didn't bother to rush up and ski. I need to sort out some tele boots that fit and get the skis and then I'll go up a few times to practise. Planning on going late morning and using the race lanes areas where the good soft snow is. Very Happy I'll take a pic when I go up, and if I see any interesting views/effects in the meantime.
latest report
It's been much cooler today, and the forecast says that it might snow tonight on the glacier and that it'll be wall to wall sunshine tomorrow ... sooo.... I'm kitted out with telemark gear (a pair of boots that fit - almost) and some skis from Jutta, so I'll have something to report tomorrow. Very Happy
latest report
easiski, cool! Have fun snowHead
ski holidays
I was a bit late today waking up - the first time for weeks, and nearly didn't go, but took myself in hand and got onto the Jandri Express around 11.20 in the end. The good thing about tele gear is that the boots are really wide and comfy, so there's no need to lug extra stuff up to the glacier. Very Happy The first pic was taken from the Jandri Express showing the fresh snow below the glacier level, and the second shows the view over Dome Sud and the top of the park from the little flat bit half way down the Puy Salie.
snow report
The weather was great, there was a breeze and the temp were about 5-8 degs lower than last week. Very Happy There was indeed fresh snow on a firm base, so the skiing was tremendous, and relatively easy for a wobbly telemarker. Very Happy A lot of the previous damage had been repaired by a couple of cooler days and a bit of snow .... now if only it would snow every night this week we'll be back to where we were 10 days ago.
I only did 3 runs on the Puy Salie and one on the Dome North which was enough for my knee - although an aweful effort to go up and down just for that. Still, if I keep it up I'll improve - more about the telemarking on that thread in BZK.
Pics are a moody shot from the top of the Dome and a view of the bottom of the Puy Salie at the end of business - look at the difference to similar shots from last week - it's quite extraordinary how little a change in the weather it takes to make a major difference to the snow.
snow report
Hi, easiski,

It's great to read of the conditions on the glacier - it sounds great although I'm not sure I could be bothered to trek all the way up there for 3 or 4 hours' skiing. Fingers crossed for plenty of regular snowfall to keep conditions good. I'm sure your tele skiing will come on leaps & bounds with a bit of practice - you're hardly a beginner, are you?? wink

How did the 2 weeks' summer ski camp with Fastman go? I was hoping to find a thread about it but I can't. Is there one??
snow report
Red Leon wrote:

How did the 2 weeks' summer ski camp with Fastman go? I was hoping to find a thread about it but I can't. Is there one??

It's OK - I've just been to BZK and there it is!
snow report
Red Leon, How long is your commute to work? Same diff really - but it's fair to say that yesterday it was a lot of bother for 40 mins skiing.! I'm planning to go tomorrow and Saturday, and will probably not ski for more than 1 hour (telemarking isn't particularly good for the bits of me that hurt anyway). OTOH, perhaps I'll take a book so I won't have to go down with the rush.....

the weather is remaining cool - that is 21degs in the shade on my balcony this afternoon, and with an 08.00 temp of +3 here. The snow condition should hold a bit, and there are clouds around .... :fingers crossed smilie: however no precipitation is forecast.
snow conditions
I didn't go up in the end yesterday as I just felt too tired, and it does take a fair bit of energy to do the trip! However, with Saturday being a relatively quiet day I was keen to get to it. Very Happy There was a fair bit of high cloud around, but as you can see that cleared for the pic! The snow was really nice right up to the end, just a little soft spring snow on top, with the exception of the final bit which you can see from the photo is showing signs of wear compared to Wednesday.

I'll carry on going up 2-3 times a week for the telemarking (see report on BZK) and may try to go earlier next time and do Signal which is looking quite OK still. Unfortunately today is the beginning of the return to warmer temps which is NOT required! Sad It's been really good last week - cool enough for the snow, but warm enough to be very pleasant in the village. I wish it could stay like that. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Still, it's given us another week of better snow, so we can't complain. More next time.
snow report
yesterday was scorchingly hot - I wentto Grenoble and it was unbearable - I can't understand why anyone lives there. Shocked Sadly for the snow it was also hot in the night - + 10degs on last week. Sad I won't go up today as there may be loadsa peeps up there with it being Bastille Day and all...
snow conditions
OMG! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked When I came out of the Jandri Express I couldn't believe my eyes. It was dreadful! Sad Sad Sad Well - admittedly just the last bit, but the look of it compared with last Saturday was a nasty shock. I did expect a fair bit of damage - it's been incredibly hot, including at night, and it had rained on the glacier, but still .............. Higher up was fine, and the nursery slopes were OK + 2 of my family of 4 managed to ski down under their own steam at the end of the lesson which is fantastic. Neither fell over either. Very Happy Very Happy
Pix from the top of the nursery slope looking up to the Lauze, and also at lunchtime looking from the resto terrace up the Puy Salie for reference to last Sat's pic. rolling eyes rolling eyes
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy