Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Confessions of a 30 something seasonaire or “Hello from Les Arcs”

Poster: A snowHead
So here we are, made it out to Plan-Peisey (Les Arcs) after a few frustrating delays back home due to plumbers – still now it’s time to rip up the slopes. So why am I doing a season and why Plan-Peisey? Well having found myself at the beginning of September care(less/ful) ly without a job and with enough quid in my pocket to survive a season, I though to myself why not? If I don’t do it now then I’ll be too creaky round the edges and the falls will hurt that much harder!

Why Plan-Peisey / Les Arcs – that’s more of a difficult one to answer, I wanted somewhere easy to find seasonaire accommodation which pretty much meant France, probably not a bad choice as I can get by in French, big domain so that meant 3v, EK & Paradiski and then I thought I would head for a ‘quieter’ bit of the domain on the basis that it might be easier to get to know people if you regularly go to the same bars, rather than getting lost in the crowd in somewhere like Tignes or Val Despair. Reading thru last years snow report then it looked like Paradiski has a good supply of Snowheads either living in the area, or regular visitors, and that added to the appeal. Somewhere with easy access to trees was important too, for those bad weather days

As someone that regards himself as pretty happy on any pistes (and some off-piste) on a board, but trying to learn to ski, then a good range of blues/reds to progress to was important. Having boarded both sides of the washing line before then I had a handle on the basic geography and was happy that it would provide me the slopes to meet my needs, and taking costs into account then I ended up in the sleepy backwater of Les Arcs, known as Plan-Peisey in a flat rented thru Natives. Being able to have several goes at the Montalbert / Villaroger challenge didn’t cross my mind at all wink

So I set off on my Odyssey on Sunday morning, loaded up the car and headed off to Dover. D’oh 1st error is that P&O’s website rates are cheaper than the walk-up rates, so that was a couple of sheckles out the door unnecessarily. A swift crossing later, then I arrived in Calais to be waved straight thru Customs (see later!!) and then the migration south for winter was a foot. Frankly the drive was nearly completely uneventful; Sunday so less traffic, good weather and averaging 125km/h was easy if monotonous. Shortly after Calais I discovered the 2nd error of the trip, I’d forgotten to burn up an MP3 cd with about 15 albums on it, as previously I’ve gone from Calais to Milan on one MP3 cd – drat drat. Ok so let’s go for the audio book, hmm not bad but Alex Rider is definitely easier listening whilst driving than the Kay Scarpetta I’d chosen from WH Smiths’ limited selection.

Only navigation issues were negotiating the ‘Aire’ – north of Dijon, why are the layouts so very confusing!! Stopping for a ‘en-route dinner’ at L’Arche, and was the only person in the whole restaurant – compare that with the UK on the M6 at 6pm on Sunday night, it would be rammed! Phoned Snowcrazy who advised me it was forecast to dump down Sunday night, and had be raining down in BSM for most of the afternoon so took the decision to layup for the night near Lyons.

Driving onto the A43, I’d spotted the signs for “Personnel au Pied á Peage” and thought nothing of it. Bit of a error, at the 1st peage on the A43, I was flagged down by Customs. Bonjour Monsieur, could you just pull into the side over here, we’d like to ask you a few questions – sure no problem (thinking 600km from Calais and I’d nearly got away with it wink) So they asked me a few questions, I explained I was going to work a ski season (thought it’s sounded better than being a ski-bum), but was staying the night in the hotel down the road - obviously a bit of a red-rag to a bull as they then decided to have a good look in the back of the motor. Although they only had a cursory look inside a couple of packing crates with things like snowchains, Lave-Glace etc. They were a bit disappointed coming away empty handed (don’t think I look that dodgy) but they needed to look harder to find the stash of Allsorts I’d hidden away.

Monday got up latish and meandered upto BSM, for a bit of shopping in the super U. Saw a bunch of newby chalet hosts working from their lists, and still trying to recognise products on the shelves – give ‘em a couple of weeks and they’ll do it with no lists and in ½ the time. So I asked the prettiest one what the roads down from resort were like and got the reply of clear (TO’s do have their uses!), so no need to worry about chains!

Shopping over I drove up the hill to find my apartment, and stopping down the road walked up past the squirrel to find Will & Tom having a crafty fag, so stopped to introduce myself and have a bit of a chin-wag! Found the flat, will do fine, great location and headed out on the board around 2pm for a bit of a warm-up / re-orientate. Fell over on the run down from the apartment to the lift station (all of 2 yds!) but once I’d got that out the way and shelled out for my season pass then I headed up to remind myself of how to do it. The sun came out to say hello and I spent most of my time trekking up and down Ours, Morey & Myrtilles, as well as heading over to have a go on Derby lift to see if it is better than Plan Bois which proceeded it and yes it’s significantly improved the uplift in this sector. The snow would best be described as ‘packed’ whilst it obviously did snow on Saturday the wind move a lot of it sideways, as well as ripping debris off the trees, so it was unsure whether you were sliding over twigs or stones, either way I was pretty glad I was on my old board. 3 laps of Belette and I was getting close to being timed out. Can I make it to transarc mid-station before close, yes just and had a quick look at the arc2000 bowl, but really wished I hadn’t bothered. Straight-lining it back along the Grand Renard which was as hard as nails was no fun at all – I think most of the snow cover had been whipped off from the strong winds on Saturday

Back home sorted out the flat, and then headed to the Squirrel for a beer. Met all the team over pizza (thanks guys!) and then was roped into playing for the pub team in the Monday night Pub Quiz, mainly against a bunch of workers on orientation week from the likes of Ski-Beat, luckily we inveigled a couple of ladies from Ski Olympic to come and help us out, and we managed a decent enough score of 28/40 to finish 3rd, thus avoiding all the required drinking penalties! I could see this becoming habit forming, if a little taxing on the brain e.g. “how old was Tony Blair when he stopped being PM.” Definitely a fun Monday night to be had in the Squirrel if you’re heading over this way.

Tueaday dawned bright and Sunny and met up with Tom from the Squirrel, Eamonn (an Irish local) and Lee & Abby from Hucksters Lodge to bash around the mountain. Eamonn & Tom having been here before (lots in Eamon’s case) led us on a merry dance around the reds & blues of the Arc 1800 bowl, then over into 2000 and down to the bottom of Arcabule and then back down to 1600. Most (if not all) of the higher slopes were closed due to Avvy risk / blasting. Nothing was open higher than 2000, and talk from the lifties was that the Aiguille Rouge would not open before Saturday at best. Quick lunch stop at the Arpette, some more 1600 fun (Arolles) and then slowly wound our way back to the Peisey side of the hill, before heading down the bottom bit of Ecureuils before a quick Apres stop & shower.

Still with long lift queues and ‘Piccadilly Circus’ pistes as below then it’s really tough out here wink

Wednesday dawned differently, had been chucking it down all night and then proceeded to snow lightly all day, much fun to be had below the tree line – 1st lift, 1st to go down Ecuereils (sp?) on about 15cm of fresh over a hard packed base. Absolutely fantastic, spent most of the rest of the morning playing above Peisey-Vallandry round and about the trees. We nipped over to Derby to do a couple of laps of Belette, and the vis dropped dramatically at the top station. PM ‘nipped’ down to pickup the skis of Lizzard and backup the hill about 8, thank god for snow tyres as chains not required despite the lamentable efforts of snow-ploughs – I guess being ‘pre-season’ they don’t feel they need to bother clearing the roads properly.

I’m struggling a bit for internet connection at the moment, so I might not update too frequently, however provided that’s sorted then I intend to update the TR on a regular basis. If you’re in Les Arcs then drop me a pm with your phone number if you’d like to meet up for some runs, or if you’re in Peisey-Vallandry then you’ll find me in the Squirrel propping up the bar wink

Here’s to a great season for everyone!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You have made a good choice, a season at any age is fun, just watch the hangovers and bar tabs.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I shall follow this with interest, having considered PV as a base for a season....

Hope you have a good season - if we end up in Les Arcs I shall be in contact
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bertie bassett, Are you actually working ? It is not clear from the post.

I stayed in the old village of Peisey ( bucket lift up to the main area). Did not spend much time in the modern bit. Plenty of scope though. Enjoy.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
excellent first report, have a great time Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
bertie bassett, didnt realise there are "older" boarders on here!
IM staying in nancroix in jan for a couple of weeks (hopefully first if many visits)... I might chase you up for some mature (im 42 ) boarding when I cant take anymore of the "younguns" bone breaking antics.

Mont blanc has free wireless. Thought the squirrel bar had as well ?

Tux
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bertie bassett, Sounds lovely snowHead I shall look forward to future insatalments - & maybe meet up for a beer when we're there in Jan Toofy Grin

I think La Vache also has wifi (up the hill from you)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bertie bassett, Excellent stuff. I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time, I've certainly no regrets from my season last year.

Be warned though, your first season might not be your last Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
genepi wrote:
bertie bassett, Sounds lovely snowHead I shall look forward to future insatalments - & maybe meet up for a beer when we're there in Jan Toofy Grin

I think La Vache also has wifi (up the hill from you)

In La Vache now - looks like a great place wink

Good idea for a ski and a beer in jan!

tuxpoo drop me a pm when you're about and then we can do some sliding...

Latchigo - work, what's work, blew the redundancy money on the season, will worry about the rest come May!

Johnnyboy Thanks for that useful note, I can see it becoming addictive..I'll work through you're thread in due course I've got a couple of days feee lift in 3v with my season pass for Paradiski, I'll drop you a pm about perhaps me coming over for a couple of days / likewise you could come to LA for a couple of days?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Today, nipped down to BSM for a morning quick shop around, then popped to MCD's to start this TR on their website, and then La Poste for that last minute xmas card. Back up the hill to gorgeous sunshine and a quick bowl of soup I set off for a run around, planning on hooking up with a couple of the squirrely guys when they headed back out. Vis was a bit hit and miss, so mainly stayed lowish and in the trees, then blasted down to 1800 and hopped into the transarc with a liftie - had a comedy franglais conversation (as you do) about the resort, the snow and the slide under the varet that hit the piste (see snow report for the 2nd hand details, apparently no one injured however) - then was going to push on down to Villaroger, but time was running short so just did some laps of Arcabulle, and the obvious off piste bit from the ridge. Good fun, empty runs but variable visibility...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bertie bassett wrote:

Latchigo - work, what's work, blew the redundancy money on the season, will worry about the rest come May!

Fine. Enjoy.

I was just not sure if the term 'saisonaire' usually implied work as well as being there for the season
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bertie bassett, great start. Hope it all goes well. snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just so you can see how busy it is... this was taken at 3pm on tuesday (prior to the 15cm or so of snow on the Wed)

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bertie bassett, where's that photo taken?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar wrote:

about 1/2 way down ecureuils the 'black' that you get to the far side of peisey lift (coming from your direction) - I seem to have made that my home run - well on the board, on skis it will be 'la foret' or whichever the windy blue is that takes me home...
latest report
bertie bassett, OK, don't go down there too often. I'll PM you my number. I'm out on Sunday for a couple of weeks, so good to catch up.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
bertie bassett, OK, don't go down there too often. I'll PM you my number. I'm out on Sunday for a couple of weeks, so good to catch up.
I'm a bit time constrained over the next couple of weeks (but drop me a pm anyway) - I've got nieces out from tmorrow, and have booked into lessons (ski) for new year week on the basis that If I'm learning then it doesn't matter so much if the pistes are full, and lift line priority will be a bonus..
snow conditions
bertie bassett, no worries, I'll be out later in the season if we don't manage to meet up over the holidays. Who are you taking ski lessons with?
ski holidays
bertie bassett, enjoying this... Can I be rude and ask what your budget for the cost of the season is (approx)? Maybe at the end you could let us know if you spent more or less than you thought.
snow report
bertie bassett wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

about 1/2 way down ecureuils the 'black' that you get to the far side of peisey lift (coming from your direction) - I seem to have made that my home run - well on the board, on skis it will be 'la foret' or whichever the windy blue is that takes me home...

Are you sure about that Puzzled It looks like Ourson to me - the red continuation of the ski club piste, next to Ecureils Confused wink
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
bertie bassett, no worries, I'll be out later in the season if we don't manage to meet up over the holidays. Who are you taking ski lessons with?

Bit the bullet and booked with ESF.. (yeah I know I've posted how much I don't like them)... but if I only get 50% of what I might get elsewhere it seems like 105 euros is a pretty good price for 6x 2.5 hour lessons.
snow conditions
genepi wrote:
bertie bassett wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

Are you sure about that Puzzled It looks like Ourson to me - the red continuation of the ski club piste, next to Ecureils Confused wink

Can't say I've looked at a piste map much round the 'home hill' - it definitely was down the black originally but it might run out into the red..I'll pay more attention tomorrow and report back wink
snow conditions
Early night thursday, as early start friday. Walked to the car at 7am couple of goes and it wouldn't start.. bug need to be in lyon by 09:30 to collect the family. Walk away leave it 2 minutes, come back and give it another go and it catches, so I then drive gingerly down the hill and get to Lyon about 09:45 - what a PITA however, there's no way of parking anywhere near terminaly 3, unless you pretend you are an 'authorised vehicle' and so anyone you collect from sleazyjet has to do the route march, through terminal 2 to the general area and then to terminal 1 for the car park (same place as the navetes go for the car-hire place)

Still back to the resort for a bout 12:30, quick bowl of soup and kit hire from the lovely beatrice in Sport 2000, and then headed out around 13:45. Trying to get the nieces to find their mojo and skills again. Took them around the nursery slope and then onto the general blues through the trees. Couple of laps of derby and we were done for the day, and slid back to the appartment. Headed out later for dinner in 'la vache' which is absolutely excellent - steaks, burgers, thai curry all seemed to be on the menu and the puddings are to die for.

Saturdahy, up early and got the nieces off to ski-less for 09:30 with ESF. Brother in law and me then headed off on a bit of a mission over too 1600 - bit of 'skier style on piste blasting' on hard packed pistes. For a bit more of a challenge headed up arpette and then down bois de l'ours, which was in excellent nick, small lumps of soft stuff to hit / bounce off / turn / fall over. Then got to the bottom and had to take comboriere back and then straightline it all the way to Plan-Peisey to pick up the nieces. Over to the transarc into the 2000 bowl and then stopped at Chalet D'Arc for lunch (thanks snowheads for that one!) - absolutely lovely lunch spot, but not the chepest. After lunch headed up varet, and then as the vis was a bit poor in 2000 then headed back to the 1800 side for the sunshine. Messed about generally heading back to Plan Peisey, dropped into Vallandry to have a go on grizzly for the 1st time, then eventually headed for home all a bit dead. Tonight will probably be beers and pizzas, then tomorrow we'll be doing something similar.

Snow-lies.com suggest the next few days will be warmish and not that much new snow...still I think that means we can pop over to La Plagne on one day - perhaps monday. Probably won't try the challenge as the lift queues are bound to pick up over the next couple of days..
latest report
bertie bassett wrote:
genepi wrote:
bertie bassett wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

Can't say I've looked at a piste map much round the 'home hill' - it definitely was down the black originally but it might run out into the red..I'll pay more attention tomorrow and report back wink

Double checked and no it was ecureuils according to the map I've just looked at...
snow report
bertie bassett, enjoying your reports, keep them up and see how many pages you can get to over your season.

Will need some pics from time to time, just to spice it up Toofy Grin
snow report
Bones, Your wish is my command...

Took the family to the Solan last night, only to find that pizzas were off the menu (1st saturday night - I guess they want to sell more expensive food!) but having had lunch in Chalet D'Arc the thought of more tartiflette was not on the list. So took the takeaway option, and headed back to the flat. Everyone far too knackered so in bed by 9pm on a Sat night!! oh well I'll find my boarding legs soon.

Decided on a later start this morning as the nieces had a lesson @ 14:00, we didn't want to kill them before lessons. Rather inrigued by the branding on one of my nieces skis - hmm not pointed out to her the implications of 'lolita' and I don't think she's quite made the connection herself.

So got going around 09:50 and headed straight across to Derby, where the line was immense.

Did the obvious couple of laps of bellette to warmup and then decided to follow the sun by heading over into 1800, and then up the transarc. Quick run down teppes and up arcabulle, and as you can see the conditions were terrible...

Run down plan des eaux, before heading back up to Gd. Renard and along to dents de peigne, accidentally we seemed to end up on lac red, which was a 'deliberate' error of direction - well that's what I told one of the nieces who was still feeling a little tentative. Down to Bois de l'ours lift and over the top then down to Areptte for lunch. Arrived about 12:30 so not a massive queue, but come 13:00 it was running a 'double loop' After lunch planned on heading back via Col De Frette and Gd. Renard lifts but lost the brother in law and one of the nieces. The other niece and I then blasted to the bottom of Plan-peisey getting there with 10 minutes to spare for the 2 o'clock lesson, eventually the brother in law tuned up with the other niece and they had their lesson. Brother in law and I ended up heading over to 1800 and doing some of the reds around vagere. Golf was good fun, a bit 'brekaable crust' in the off-piste bit down the sides, but this is definitely one to come back to in some fresh powder days.

The bottom of the blues heading down into 1800 definitely starting to fill up. quite a few people who were progressing on their lessons and starting to find their feet for the week, from time to time you just had to rund down the edges to avoid the masses, and yes we saw a couple of crashes as you might expect. Still it's fair to say that the pistes can generally only be classified as 'averagely busy' and not 'extremely busy, and I guess we had a good number of day trippers.

Plan for tomorrow is is the weather is good, to head to La Plagne to head up the Grand Rochette to take some more photos..
latest report
******. *** ***** ****.

Skullie
snow conditions
bertie bassett, what make of skis are your nieces?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bertie bassett, Well, my brother & his wife & kids will be with you in that queue tomorrow wink Be afraid Skullie Laughing
latest report
buckers wrote:
bertie bassett, what make of skis are your nieces?

Rossignol...
latest report
So on Monday with the good weather forecast, a trip to the top of the Grand Rochette was the order of the day, so I could show the family the amazing views. Having only purchased Les Arcs passes originally the beau-frere nipped off on Sunday arvo to buy the lift pass extension for the following day.

Tip no. 1 – You can only buy the pass extension ‘on the day’, so that was a bit of a wasted trip, although he was told the opening time of the Vanoise was 08:45 so not all lost

Tip no. 2 – Don’t believe what they tell you in the lift pass office, arriving at the VE at 08:45 to be greeted by closed shutters and a wait around until 09:15 for the first lift.

Eventually we go to La Plagne, a venue I’d been to twice before but most recently about 5 years ago, so some of my route knowledge was a little flaky. Looked at a couple of alternative routes up that side of the mountain, nothing like a little bit of fact finding for the M-V challenge! And eventually got over the top and into the sunshine. Skied down to Belle Plagne, before dropping down into Bellecote and taking Les Blanchettes up. Amazing to see how much BP had been developed since I was last there,

I’m pretty certain the whole ‘bottom section’ (As per photo) is new in the last 5 years and I don’t recollect the lower piste, running round the right hand side of the village as you look at it. Thought about going upto the glacier, but as I recollect the red La Combe is a little tricky in parts, and the blue on the glacier is a long way to go for a bit of a dull run, then decided not to bother and followed the sun into the Champagny sector. Went down Levasset and then made the mistake of heading all the way to the bottom on Les Bois

Tip 3- Avoid this run unless the snow is good. – I should have remembered from previous trips that the snow down their gets sketchy very quickly, and indeed this run was just hard pack and not really that much fun at all. Still straight back in the bubble and up to the main Champagny area, and rather than poling across went down and up Borseliers so that we could run down to Verdons Sud. Whoops bit of a queue there

I guess as it’s one of the 2 main routes back to the other side, and also takes you to the highest point you can to on a Champagny forfait, then it was a bit of a bottle neck and probably about a 15 minute queue at 11:30.Still one of the advantages of queues is that you can get to spot some classic fart bags...more on that later..

After the slow Verdons Sud lift itself, the nieces were deeply unappreciative when I nipped up to the lookout to take some photos. Anyone know 'resort y' as below: -

“We just want to ski” came the plaintive cry” – ok I thought well having done ‘bottom left’ and ‘the backside’ we just had to go to bottom right Montalbert I thought (thinly disguised route finding practice for me too!) . Led the troops down to monty which they enjoyed, although I was deeply unappreciative of the ESF instructor who had parked a bunch of boarders right in the middle of the a narrow section of I think Montalbert Run – what’s the point in teaching the kids some ‘piste craft’ when you go and see instructors being idiots like that. Ok so the whole sector is not busy, but it probably left no more than 50 cm on each side, and on a flattish bit other boarders are going to want to keep their speed.. grrrr….

After a couple more navigational errors we ended up in Montalbert @ 12:45, but rather than stopping felt important to get back to Plagne Centre to make sure we were close to getting home.

Tip 4 – with 2 week skiers when coming back from Montalbert take the signed blue run ‘les adrets’ rather than “les grenouilles’ as whilst it starts and finishes nicely it has one bit of quite a steep pitch and was pretty soft bumpy, which the nieces really struggled with. I think one of them hasn’t learned how to slide-slip enough in ski school, but she also lost her mojo at the top, and it took about 25 minutes just to do this section.

Still she picked herself up and got going again to head to Plagne Centre for a well earned lunch stop. It even looked vaguely pretty in the sunshine...

Up Melezes, again more construction in the Plagne-Soleil area – indeed the ‘dou de praz’ run was closed due to stones/rocks being stirred up by the construction process. La Plagne really seems to be on a mission to increase the number of visitor beds, and whilst some of the lifts have been upgraded, I’d hate to be heading out of Bellecote @ 14:30 on a peak week –actually getting across to Arpette from Breteille Treuisse without crashing was a nightmare in itself – not one for timid or inexperienced skiers, and yet that’s an area that has more than it’s fair share of the latter. Hit the queues for the Arpette at the ‘outer gates’ but it wasn’t totally packed and probably took no more than 10 minutes to shift. I think we were on the lift about 3:30 which gave us an hour to get down to make the lift home.

Took the rope tow – why do people stop on the bit where you have to switch ropes – it’s not that hard even on a board unless the idiot skier in front of you stops dead..grrr… and then blasted down to the Vanoise Express or not.. The last time I went from La Plagne to Les Arcs (5 years ago) I remember that the signing was excellent, there were big signs saying ‘Les Arcs this way’, now these seem to have been replaced with more uniform “street signs” that are difficult to read from a distance, and as might be expected we missed the right turn just after the top of the Montchavin lift. This was in perfect visibility and not exactly going full tilt, so I’d hate to try to make it as a tourist in rubbish visibility when pushing to make ‘last lift’. Why there isn’t a big sign say some 200m uphill saying “Les Arcs a droite 200m” then you might have a chance of making it. Still not a complete drama dropped into Montchavin, whereupon I spun out about 4 times on the icy artificial snow down here. It really is pretty lousy for a boarder, but we didn’t have much choice. Back up and another go at making the turn which we didn’t miss this time, and home for about 4:15, whereupon the energiser bunny nieces just had to take the peisey chair and do a couple more runs, whereas you’re truly decided the snow was too hard and went home.

Still despite the odd navigational errors, and spin outs it was a lovely day and great to do all ‘3 corners’ of the La Plagne domain. OK so we didn’t do Gd Rochette, or Roche De Mio, but there’ s got to be something for them to come back for, and I think when the show their Mum & Granny the piste map over xmas, they’ll be amazed at quite how much distance we achieved.
ski holidays
bertie bassett, nice report. Have a lovely Christmas Very Happy
latest report
After Mondays long day out, my kneew was feeling a little sore. As it was their last day the family made first lift and went blasting. I just sneaked out about 11 to take a few photos of the learner area above Peisey for my sister, as hopefully we might encourage her to come out at Easter, although having fallen off a chair lift when she was about 10 on geog field trip she now has a total fear of those machines, so whether we could get up her up or down Peisey remains to be seen. There's not much else in Les Arcs that has drag-lift served beginners areas, perhaps 1800 might be better, so I'll head over and give that a look in a few days time. Met up with the family at the top of the Arcabule and headed down for lunch at Chalet D'Arc - the chaussons de boulanger are fantastic!!

Sacked it off after lunch to come home and check the car and do a few chores then left at 4:30 to make Lyon comfortably by 7pm. Made it back to Plan-Peisey by about 9:45, thought about popping into the squirrel for a cheeky but instead fell asleep on the sofa - hmm need to work harder for those confessions.

Xmas Eve, decided to take to the skis prior to my lessons next week. Don't want to feel like a complete muppett in front of the class. Took me a run or two before I got the hang of it again, but soon found my legs and did a couple of laps of the blues around derby. Skiing around 13:00 - the slopes were fantastically empty, no ski-schools, and virtually no-one on the pistes. Headed home for lunch on the balcony, in just boardies and T-Shirt - not a bad view either...

After lunch did much the same but also took in a quick trip to 1800, queues for the Vagere about 3pm were right out the gates, but not much need for me to go that high, so just did Chantel and Charmettoger before cruising back on the blues. Quite pleased to remember how to do it, and managed about 4 hours skiing without falling over - probably a sign that I need to open the taps some more. I seemed to be happy doing short radius turns but just couldn't open out..still some lessons with ESF from sunday should correct those issues.

Xmas eve - going to the party in the Squirrel (for a change!) - then will head out on Xmas day with a bit of a posse that is forming...
latest report
I don't know whether it's just because Paradiski is typically French, but fart bags seems to be the order of the day in spades. I've even seen fartbaggers on blades snowHead Laughing

So here we have the classic fart bag..

Now this is special - topping of the classic bag with a leather hat that wouldn't look out of place being worn by Sherlock Holmes.. clocked him on the vanoise, but struggled to get a photo as he zipped up Peisey

I thought we had the winner here..

and then I spotted this in Ski-School which is probably the winner for December...

latest report
Happy Xmas and good sliding to everyone!
snow report
Happy Christmas to you!

Resort Y is Courchevel, but for a bonus point how many different resorts can you see from the point you took that photo?
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Resort Y is Courchevel

You sure?
ski holidays
bertie bassett wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Resort Y is Courchevel

You sure?

Yup, positive.
snow report
bertie bassett that last fart bag is a classic!

heading out to motalbert on friday, would be good to meet up, maybe for the Les Arcs section of the Villaroger Challenge as we havent a clue over there Very Happy
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
bertie bassett wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Resort Y is Courchevel

You sure?

Yup, positive.

Yup the runway is clearly visible at the altiport, top left of pic Very Happy Picture taken from Borselier restaurant terrace?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy