Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

More than one ski trip per year, how do you do it...?

Poster: A snowHead
Lots of great ideas for next season...

What I clearly need to start doing now is spending less and transferring more money into my ISA (which is where the money I save for skiing and stuff gets put so I don't spend it) and try to limit my annual leave this year so I have 2 weeks left for next season. I'm sure I'd be able to do a week in Jan and another in March if I book them off far enough in advance...

Thanks again people...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
2 reasonable incomes, no kids (yet), no mortgage, no debt.

Might do 2 trips this year. Usually budget £650.00 Incl flights, transfers, H/B, ski hire and lift pass. £300 usually covers beer/ fun money.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
queen bodecia wrote:
I'm sure I'd be able to do a week in Jan and another in March if I book them off far enough in advance...

nnnooooooo - we're all saying to WAIT to book - you're paying over the odds by booking so far in advance.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
queen bodecia, I do 2 weeks a year as a peak season rep for a schools op. It doesn't pay much, and can be hard work - but it cots me nothing.

The other thing I do is go DIY to Austria. If you fly to Salzburg or Innsbruck, then yu can get the train to a lot of resorts, keeping the transfer cost down. I think the most I've ever paid for a single room in a pension is €28 per night, but I've been as low as €19 (2 years ago). I can then choose where I eat of an evening and how much I want to spend.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I meant booking the time off work!

But I'm also VERY nervous about waiting until last minute to book a ski holiday too. Last season I went to Kitzbühel in March and booked 3 weeks before. To be honest there was very little choice to find a single room for the week I wanted and Kitz was the only affordable one in a resort I liked the idea of. I think it cost just under £500 and the only others at comparable cost were Bansko, Bardonecchia and Mayrhofen. I also found availability in Alpe D'Huez and Morzine but way over my price range (over £800)...

Where do you find cheap last minute deals? When I was looking last season I contacted all major TOs (Crystal, Thomson, Inghams, Neilson, First Choice) and also emailed Iglu and Skideals and those were the best I could find...

I've already booked Courmayeur for this forthcoming March and it's £512. It would have been £430-ish but I've had to pay a supplement for a twin room for sole use as the single rooms were already full...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
queen bodecia, Try not to look just for a single room. Sometimes you can get a double/twin for the same or less than you were quoting. Eg. last season I went to La P for both trips - same TO - couple of weeks before, they dropped their single supplement. Had lovely doubles, ensuite with balconies, catered chalets close to the piste..... both less than £350 incl flights and transfers.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That's a good point. I did limit my search to single rooms last season. I didn't realise a twin room supplement would be affordable. As it happens, I've had to do it this season as the hotel I wanted had already filled their single rooms as the supplement was only £112 (there would already have been a supplement of £35 for a single room anyway)...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Try fasttrackski, they have the prices displayed on their website, but you have to give them a call to book, this is when they add all kinds of spurious booking fees etc on top.

You can usually find which T.O. is offering the deal by googling the name of the hotel and the resort, then simply book direct. I have had La Plagne 3* half board Easter 06 for £189, by booking 2 days before. It wasn't a planned trip but couldn't resist at that price.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Booking well in advance with TO's for signles can pay off. I was really happy with £400 for Zermatt last year, booked that almost as soon as it became available on line (9 months before?). Good early/web booker discounts available then.

If you think it is expensive for single travellers try budgetting trips as a single parent Crying or Very sad I've always had to pay full adult price for my daughter if I go with TO.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Of course one good way to avoid single suplements is to go with someone else Wink
Now I can understand how that might not have been an option to you before but now you've found snowHeads... well, as you can see, there's always somebody that wants to go skiing snowHead

As far as booking late goes: There are certain weeks where you can guarantee late availability, so book one of those off work and sit tight until a few days before departure - if you dare Wink
I've held off as late as 5hrs before departure because I was going alone and the tour op wouldn't drop their double single supplement for the triple room that ws left. In the end, they saw sense, "Look the train goes in 5 hrs, you're not going to sell the (3) beds to anyone else so you might as well sell one of them to me."

So, compared to that level of brinkmanship, booking 2 or 3 days before departure is positively forward planning Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Aren't there some early season ski weekends often on offer? I seem to remember seeing this kind of thing in the past for about £99? Sounds like a pretty good deal to get a couple of days skiing in, and quite reasonable when you compare it to skiing in a fridge.

How much did the PSB, MSB and End of season bash cost last year. That could be another reasonable priced option for more weeks on the white stuff.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
queen bodecia, Single mum and 2 kids here. In any normal situation I save all year for 1 weeks holiday (I can do it for about £1K driving with self catering in a tiny appartment in tiddly little ski station in Switzerland. Last year as a treat (for Birthday present - I hit a big zero) mum gave me the time to travel by myself. I saved extra hard and found about another £650 - you can do the EoSB with this lot as a single for £650 all in if you take skis and boots with you (might be worth considering).

This year, I am being treated to a few days skiing in December Very Happy , doing the usual trip with the kids in Feb. and dipping into savings for a second week with the kids self catering with a friend in VT in April which I am sharing costs with my skiing friend for (just hoping there is enough left post divorce!!). I expect next year to be back to one week territory for which I try to save the family allowance so the kids get their holiday.

I do get fair holiday 5 week equivalent on a 3 day week though.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
queen bodecia, just don't take any other holidays.
Only go skiing. Forget summer hoidays.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
flowa wrote:
queen bodecia wrote:
I'm sure I'd be able to do a week in Jan and another in March if I book them off far enough in advance...

nnnooooooo - we're all saying to WAIT to book - you're paying over the odds by booking so far in advance.

Can disagree with this, we often book well in advance and it has always been cheaper than any last minute deal.

Last time we went to Whistler 4* catered chalet with Crystal Finest, sat around dinner the smug late bookers bragging how much they had paid for 10 nights - were gutted when we had paid less than them for two weeks inc. lift passes Shocked

We booked 13 months in advance but had it held with a low deposit Smile
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bones, especially so this year when Tour Operators are adding supplements to cover rising costs and falling pound.
Early brochure prices that came out the end of last season are now excellent bargains.

On the other hand, there may be December bargains if you wait right up to days or even hours before you go
Companies will wait to see if the snow falling this weekend, and later in the week, stimulate demand.
Like Poker, its a matter of who can hold their nerve.
latest report
There are advantages to getting older after all - children have left home, no pets (sadly) any more to make arrangements for, mortgage paid off etc etc so we can now go off skiing at a moment's notice and book last minute deals. Single friends in the same situation nearly always get either no single supplement or very minimal one. It is a gamble however.
snow report
Depends what your priorities are house, career,work, family? Once you eliminate the baggage then you need only need go once >>

for the season, its much cheaper than going 2,3,4,6,10 times Very Happy
ski holidays
Its funny because I usually find one trip is enough for me.
Granted, all 3 I've been on (1 each of the last 3 years) has been a two weeker.

Don't have any expensive holidays the rest of the year- I do still get away to the Lakes or something, just not anything very expensive like a real summer holiday as it were.
snow conditions
Patch and I formed a company five years ago to fund our ski habit and in addition to this we both have well paid jobs in France which also means annual leave is significantly higher than in th UK. We have two kids who adore skiing which has added hugely to our annual ski bill Laughing
but we would pretty much do anything to ski as often as possible and that included finally selling up in the UK to buy a place in the Alps so that we can ski all season. Before moving to France we only managed to ski once or twice a season, always last minute offers, these trips reduced considerably once we had the kids. The trouble with going more than once is that you'll find it still won't be enough Toofy Grin and then you'll be looking for ways to do a season.
ski holidays
Get a lodger. Spend all the rent money on ski trips. In fact, advertise for a lodger who is also a solo skier, then you can go together and save money on supplements into the bargain.
ski holidays
Two incomes, no kids, self employed - inherited my house. I arrange holidays with a group of 5 other friends of the same ski standard. 6 people hiring privately is the most economical number to ski with guides.

To save money go to smaller resorts (eg in the Maurienne). Drive out with a group of friends and do self catering.
snow report
Yep I feel pretty lucky. I work 14 * 12 hour shifts a month, so plenty of time off. This year have had 8 weeks holidays Cool 3.5 skiing, 2 in India, 1 biking in the alps, 1 biking in UK and a long weekend in Catalonia

Also have family apartment in Flaine and the boss has one in Tignes.

I'll keep quiet now...
latest report
Great. Loads more good suggestions, but a few points I ought to mention. I am actually going with other people this season (well, I'm meeting them there as they are in different parts of the country). However, they're all couples and I'm really not kinky enough to share a room with any of them... Very Happy

Don't really fancy the lodger thing either. Would be OK if it was a friend or someone I know really well, but all my friends have their own houses as do most people my age...

Going for a season is not an option for me at the moment either. My priorities probably are career and house at the moment, but once my mortgage is paid off, those priorities might change to relocating to somewhere with a mountain view. Watch this space... Very Happy

Definitely going to try for two trips next season all being well. Loads of great ideas here...
snow report
No income to speak of, sorta self employed/retired, no morgage, 1 cat.
I have just booked my 2nd trip of the season - xmas in Zermatt. Hmm. Spending ISA like water and I am not even iinto MSB, EOsB, Jan in L2A etc.
snow report
Anyone got a job for a skiing project engineer ?
snow conditions
Personally I've minimised my general cost of living, and that coupled with a good income means that I can afford to do things like skiing.

By minimising cost of living, I always run old cars, do all my own maintenance, don't spend much on consumer items, eat quite cheaply. Bought a small flat at a low price so my mortgage costs are easily manageable.

I also spend hours on moneysavingexpert.com working out how to get the most efficient use of my money. I try to avoid paying full price for anything. eg: digital camera, buy remanufactured or end of line from the internet. Take something like car insurance. I don't mind spending a few hours looking for the best deal. Same with electricity supplier. Most people say "oh it's all too much work". I say "if it saves me £400 then that's half another skiing holiday".
snow report
It much worse if you are a teacher as you can only ever go at peak times, normally get 2 trips 1 normal price and 1 very cheap, i.e. staying on floors. Looks like no trip this year as Feb. half term is just too much money and Easter, is late.
snow report
No summer holidays (we live in Cornwall). Seek deals on all skiwear and equipment (4 kids). Don't pay through the nose for anything.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia, If you're aiming for 2 trips try the first week in Jan after the russian NY ( Sat 10th this year) and a late week in March (although of course avoiding Easter whenever that is) - Sat 21st works this year.

They're really cheap and also really uncrowded which adds up to lots of Very Happy per £
ski holidays
My serious advise is.

If you love skiing/boarding more than your regular work, give up! !!

This happened to a good ski bum friend of mine who had a seriously good engineering job in the 80's . However, he took off for 1,2,3,4 weeks on free reping jobs in Austria for some schools company ,it became so addictive as it was completely free & he got tips as well.
His engineering boss ( also a skier) realised where his heart was.
He asked him do you want to work here or just go skiing ?

The rest is history !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there was no annomosity , as skiers no the deal. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Short breaks in Paradiski £99/£119/£139 for three nights catered chalet accommodation with a £30 supplement for a Friday and Saturday night - transfers from Geneva £12.50 each way. Arrive any day - you can also stay for 6 or 9 nights. Affordable way to get away - only one day off work!! http://www.mountainsunltd.com/short_breaks/view/short-break

(Forgot to say - no single occupancy supplement if you are willing to share with another same sex single. You may or may not end up sharing)
snow report
Have a read of this:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=325861

Smile
snow conditions
I have lots of ski trips each year, ideally this year I will get 5 weeks skiing all in. Unfortunately (depending on how you look) most of these days will be in Scotland (hours drive from my house..) With one trip abroad. I owe this all to you kind tax paying folks in England funding my free tuition in Scotland, so thank you-Middle England-for my trip to the Rockies this year! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
make sure you don't sell all your pants arv, it's mighty cold over there
snow report
Interesting thread this, seeing what people aim to spend on a ski trip.

I normally budget on spending up to £400 for the holiday excluding spending money.

So that includes
- flights / train
- transfers
- accommodation
- lift pass (always full area not local)
- ski hire (have own boots).

To do this you need to be prepared to do some serious shopping around, and going in a group of four or eight. Most travel agents etc will laugh when you tell them this budget but it really is possible, and you can get some serious bargains. We did a week in Livigno season before last for £277 for all above - this was in a SC apartment and was superb. March 09 we're doing three valleys for £399 - travel agent had just paid £750 for SC apartment in the same resort (Val Thorens) and was visibly shocked when I went in to tell him what I'd paid! The bargains are there to be had Smile

FWIW, "my" group are all 20 somethings, mainly single, in "average" but not decent salaries, happy to go at the lower end of accommodation to get good skiing!

That's how I manage two / three trips per year.
snow conditions
Blimey, that is good value. Fair play to you...

I don't have any groups to travel with, but I'm definitely prepared to shop around for a good deal. I thought I'd done that last season but you lot have really opened my eyes...

Regarding Stanton's post, is that for real? Yes I love skiing, but I also love my career. I've worked hard, firstly at University for six years and then working my way up to current position over a period of 13 years. I'm not ready to jack all that in yet, but give it another ten years and I may feel differently...

Also if I sold my house now (which is probably not possible), I'd lose rather a lot of money. Your post also begs the question, what do people live on if they're a 'ski bum'? From what I remember salaries are pretty poor in seasonal resort jobs, and although it's a means to an end with regards to spending a season somewhere snowy, it's not the stuff of building a secure future. Maybe some have a fat parental wallet to fall back on, but I do not. I'm on my own in the big wide world and I'd like a little bit of financial security for my future...

Anyway, thanks again to everyone for their suggestions...
ski holidays
queen bodecia,
You said that organising hols yourself is a bind and I can see why you think that but.....the TOs block book and are often given the most limited and worst of the hotel rooms and you pay an arrangement fee for their limited input, inconvenient departure points, horribly long transfers if there's a disparate group (eg. Salzburg to Kaprun via Bad Gastein etc. turning a one hour trip into nearly four), well meaning but usually very inexperienced student reps who can't sort out any problems better than you could and so on. Even moreso, given your restictions, it's much easier to book last minute and to begin and end a hol that doesn't run Sat to Sat or Sun to Sun and includes weekends or mid-week trips. All of the ski resorts (and the Austrian ones are particularly good) have websites with direct links to their hotels and the hotels show, with plans, their rooms and available dates and offer non-binding enquiries. Many of them offer transfers or are linked with partners. Booking flights is so easy. Without any doubt, you WILL find loads of single rooms by going direct to the hotels and you will be offered a choice, eg. bath or shower, slightly cheaper without balcony or south facing with. We have booked indepedently for years and I've done it lots when I've been able to pop off alone. It is a jump out of our comfort zones but the benefits far outweigh the comforts! And it's cheaper. Best of luck.
latest report
red 27, I have had a week of incredibly good fortune, may just keep 'em Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
My partner doesn't ski, but I have never been on a ski holiday where I couldn't share a room. Some TOs have holidays where they will find you a share and on Ski Club of GB holidays you always have the option. If they cannot find a sharer I think they still charge the sharing rate. Now I arrange groups to share a guide with me, so, as we are all skiing as singles, there is again normally no problem about sharing.
latest report
When I started skiing I was earning £12.5k with a mortgage so the first 3 ski holidays I went on came to about £500/week all in ( ski hire, lift pass, spending money etc.). We went to Bulgaria, Slovenia then Slovakia and had a great time. I am now back to being a student so will have to seriously watch the finances if I want to get at least 2 weeks holiday for the next few years.

Many people think they lead quite a frugal but in reality don't. Make sure you know where every penny goes, how much do you have left after you have paid all your bills, how much of this are you happy to spend on non-essentials like going out, clothes etc. then make sure you save the rest for skiing. If I'm looking at buying something which costs £100 I always think what else I could get for the money eg. 2/3 of a weeks lift pass, what do I want more? Go to Moneysavingexpert.com and read the debt free and old style forums. There are people there who are seriously hard up and who are very inventive with money, living off £4k a year is one of the things I've read. It will make you realise just how much you can really cut back if you need to.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy