Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pyrenees snow report 08/09

Poster: A snowHead
Almost 3 full days of snow - and it still continues. Most resorts will now have close if not above 1m at the base and over 2m at the top (or in reality anywhere over 2000m. Pity my knee is still dodgy otherwise I would be having a lot of fun before the 1st guest of the season arrive next Saturday. They are going to be delighted with the snow - the best start in years - that's for sure. Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pic from Baqueira-Beret this afternoon

snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Total snowfalling in Baqueira 1800 since the begining of the season is near 5 meters by now,..incredible!!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
metalhead 132 - I guess there was no visibility at the top at all but probably great heading down towards Beret. Hopefully I will be over there soon Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pic from past saturday in GV BEFORE the storm...

[/img]

two pics more here http://berniboom.blogspot.com/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
metalhead132 wrote:
Total snowfalling in Baqueira 1800 since the begining of the season is near 5 meters by now,..incredible!!!

Shocked Bloody Hell!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Over 40cm of dry powder here in Bareges - it's incredible stuff; you just sink in over the knee! Blue skies today and barely another person in the resort. If only every day were like this!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Incredible pics from northwestern spain,..
This is Leitariegos in the Cantabric Range, 3 meters fallen the last 4 days

More here:
http://www.leitariegos.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7238

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 16-12-08 23:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
metalhead132,

Amazing snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm glad i wasn't assigned the task of digging that chair out.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That's truly amazing!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Things are very similar on the French side at the moment too... But look out on the weekend as the forecasts have the 0 degree isotherm moving up to 3700m (mid summer hieghts)!! No precipitation with it but scortchio all the same.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, incredible heat blow the next weekend. The duration will be only for 3 days.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
metalhead132, It's forecast for here as well, but not for long. Very Happy that pic is staggering! You have more than we do, but it must make a really nice change for you to have better conditions than the alps, especially when the alps are good. Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
The Pyrenees often get more snow than the Alps, due to the Maritime climate, but the temperature is more variable so it tends to come and go...
snow report
easiski wrote:
metalhead132, It's forecast for here as well, but not for long. Very Happy that pic is staggering! You have more than we do, but it must make a really nice change for you to have better conditions than the alps, especially when the alps are good. Very Happy Very Happy

Yes, this season is amazing.
Normally in the western Pyrenées there are more snow than in the Alps, but the conditios are variable. This is due the oceanic, or maritime climate. For example in Cauterets at 1800msnm total rainfall in a year is about 2300mm, this is the same amount than in Grand St Bernard at 2500m. And Grand St Bernanrd have the maximum anual precipitation in the Mont Blanc Massif.

Meteofrance have weather station in this part of Pyrenees at higher altitudes and the totals per year are above 3000mm!!!!! really wet climate. Is like the coastal ranges in the States.

And this year is yet incredible, with above average snowpack in all range.
snow conditions
This is a good spot

http://www.skisylvio.com/spots/2008/decembre/bareges/index.php3

http://mattihou.free.fr/2008/mont-45/
ski holidays
Skied in Puigmal yesterday for the first time thanks to Snowheads recommendations. Definitely a truly under rated resort compared to Font Romeu and possibly the best for advanced skiers in the region. Snow holding up nicely even off piste though wind blown in some areas. Only downer is that the final lift to 2700 was closed
ski holidays
Dr. Will wrote:
Skied in Puigmal yesterday for the first time thanks to Snowheads recommendations. Definitely a truly under rated resort compared to Font Romeu and possibly the best for advanced skiers in the region. Snow holding up nicely even off piste though wind blown in some areas. Only downer is that the final lift to 2700 was closed

Glad to see you spent a good day skiing in Puigmal. Definitely the best slopes in the Neiges catalanes. The lifts could be better. The week between Christmas and New Year could be great according the forecasts
ski holidays
Another nice sport in the neiges catalanes is Porté but only if you like offpiste, the pistes are rather easy and the lifts slooooooooowly. And maybe is the colder resort in the area.

one pic from today in porte, we "open" all the corridors, really nice snow..... Tons of snow!!! In the base of the corridors some meters of acumulation. Maybe some areas a bit tricky to ski because the wind did a little crust, but skiing soft and specially in the middle of the steepest and narrow corridors it holds reeeaally well. This year all are much filled, so we'll have regularly photos of them, good year to attempt another ones that don't have entrance from the top and needs snow to cover some rocks to cross from another corridor....jeje wink wink

In the pyrenees now also have snowghosts Shocked Shocked

Tomorrow more Arcalís....
snow report
More stunning stuff - I'm thinking of moving! Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
Thanks for the recommendations guys. Would be good to try Porte in the future though don't have too much off piste experience and it is a little too far to drag my poor parents out for a day trip from our house near Vernet. Am sure will discover it at some point!
snow conditions
Only go to Porté if you able to do real offpiste. The pistes are easy, en the lifts go SLOW, really SLOW.

This Saturday I skied with AlTom, but in the firsts descents I don't felt good and confident with the snow, and I don't went up with him to do the corridors, so I was bored at 13:00.
snow report
Now, I am really excited with weather forecasts. According with them there are much possibilities to have a big DUMP in our zone the day after Christmas
snow report
metalhead132, AlTom, Your english is so good, both of you that I hesitate to say it, but we also use the french word couloirs rather than the very correct translation corridors. What is the word in catalan? Little Angel
snow conditions
easiski wrote:
metalhead132, AlTom, Your english is so good, both of you that I hesitate to say it, but we also use the french word couloirs rather than the very correct translation corridors. What is the word in catalan? Little Angel

"Corredor" is the exact translation, but we usually use another word: CANAL

PD: Thank you for the praise, now I know that my English classes are good Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
More stunning stuff - I'm thinking of moving! Shocked Shocked

A friend of me delayed a trip to Utah next month to ski here Shocked Shocked Shocked yesterday he was telling me that, an after ski the couloir in the other photo...my answer was: Utah..you're in now in Utah!!!

Today another nice day in Arcalís, the snow was packed powder and the offpiste tracked but funny. Big acumulations...some rocks that we jumped in other seasons now are only little mushrooms, and now we're jumping some rocks that in other seasons are cliffs. Remembering that today was the FIRST day of the winter... Shocked Laughing

Some pics in some minutes...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
another of yesterday..... Arriving at the top of the old skilift (I don't know if I prefer that it runs or not..... now most couloirs needs 15 minutes skinning, but lots less people ski them)... this is only at 2300-2400m...

More photos of yesterday soon in the blog...
snow report
Finally one pic of today...

looking at La Coma area from a different angle (after 30 minutes skinning)

snow conditions
I had my first day at Peyragudes yesterday (knee seems to hold up OK). Though very warm the whole resort including the Vallee Blanche was open with excellent conditions throughout. The only problem and one that I know is affecting Superbagneres also is avalanche. During the course of the day there were two or three fairly large falls that broached the piste in places, all down to the large dumps last week and the month before and the warm temperatures.

Hopefully the return to colder weather with a little snow will kick in on the 26th or 27th.
ski holidays
I put a report in THE PISTE forum of past saturday because I thing is worth it that only put it here

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=46564
ski holidays
AlTom, Awesome, awsome dude! Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Happy Christmas to all Pyrenees enthusiasts - what a great Christmas we are having. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Enormous snowfall today that is still ongoing in the Pyrenees Orientales most in the trees at lower altitudes sheltered from the wind. Currently staying in a house between Prades and Mont Louis at 550m and at least 20cm has fallen here so far. Took us 3 hours to do a 45 min journey so barely got 2 hours skiing at Font Romeu , the most accessible resort, and there was powder all over the place covering a hard pack base. Since it is still snowing now I will estimate at least 25cm fresh powder at all resort bases in the area by tomorrow morning.Pity I have to go back to the Uk tomorrow but on the upside am coming back to the Pyrenees in Feb!
latest report
We had another 5cm in the central Pyrenees on the 26th though we are suffering now from the early massive dumps as this has created unstable packed snow at altitude and on sunny slope sides with both Superbagneres and Peyragudes having avalanches that breach piste areas. Hopefully this will stabilize over the next week or so.
snow report
hows the weather there now, going out to soldeu on the 14th jan
ski holidays
More snow in our area today (Superbagneres, Peyragudes, Baqueira) which with temperatures falling even lower tomorrow is going to make for some great skiing over the next few days. Most resorts are fully open with good snow depths and temperatures low enough to stockpile man made.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
About 15cm of new snow up in the Tourmalet resort. We hit temperatures of -18 degrees at the top of the resort today (no idea what the wind chill must have been on the fast chairs!). The powder is perfect crystal champagne, but it is so light that you can't help bottoming out onto the frozen crud underneath. Pistes are in awesome condition though (and we have two weeks of starting Saturday)!
snow report
Mountainbug wrote:
About 15cm of new snow up in the Tourmalet resort. We hit temperatures of -18 degrees at the top of the resort today (no idea what the wind chill must have been on the fast chairs!). The powder is perfect crystal champagne, but it is so light that you can't help bottoming out onto the frozen crud underneath. Pistes are in awesome condition though (and we have two weeks of starting Saturday)!

Likewise at Peyragudes today, the north facing slopes were fantastic with blown powder of almost 2ft, crud under 15cm in other places but hey ho still lots of fun. Snowing still here and temperatures are keeping it dry. Day off tomorrow (need to rest the dodgy knee) but lots of fun on Friday one thinks.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy