Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz / Morzine / Les Gets / Chatel - 2008/9

Poster: A snowHead
We had an email from the guy who keeps an eye on our chalet whilst we are not in Les Gets, saying that there was too much snow on the roof of the chalet and he needed to get up there and clear some of it off.

That hasn't happened for awhile....
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
garyscott20, this is what we lovingly refer to as 'our' chalet, this was March 06. Sounds like could be repeated Very Happy

latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lou, Cool photo.

When are you out next?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
garyscott20, 6 March for weekend with girls and Easter weekend with family after La Rosiere Very Happy Starting to get that excited feeling...

When are you out?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We are out for two weeks from 28th March.

Still a little way out, but am counting down the days.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lou, re Oinky, I have it on good authority, Mrs Llew (MRCVS), that it is easy to tell the difference between boy and girl pigs and Oinky doesn't have the required obvious organs, therefore a girl pig Blush

Our 8 year old is a bit disappointed she's not seen her yet.
We left her some left overs.

Another great day.
Loads of snow, varied visibility.
I've added a few more pics.
http://cid-cc870dc63154a0f5.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Public/Morzine%202009?uc=5
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Llew, re Madame Oinky, sorry but it was tricky to see in the photo Embarassed (and was presuming it was a cold day)

Thanks for sharing pics, I see you have been on my fav, Marmotte Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
no worries with pics.
Yes agreed that its not so easy to tell from photos.
If we see her again will try for a video.
I agree, Marmotte is a great run and luckily it was fairly sunny at the time.

I have taken a few videos of us lot skiing, but not sure if it will really be that interesting for other people Puzzled
I can always add he smaller ones onto the same shared area.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well we're having a fantastic time in the PdS. Conditions have been superb and there was so much snow yesterday it was just amazing and even better than the powder we got last Easter. Had an amazing lunch yesterday as well over at Mont Chery at La Grande Ourse. If anyone is over that way you have to try it - the shoulder of lamb is delicious and so is the Tarte Tatin. I was worried about how busy half term was going to be but it's been no real problem at all and the only biggish queue we had to wait in was on Sunday over at Ardent and that was only for 15 minutes. Mind you I had some big Dutch bloke standing behind me pushing me just about the whole way to the lift. Twisted Evil For everyone else over here just now - happy skiing!!! Very Happy Can't wait to come back in March.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Glad you're enjoying yourselves geetee.

Hope that geeteejr is behaving herself and not wearing out her parents too much with her refusal to stop skiing so that mummy and daddy can take a rest!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lou - we're out at Easter if you fancy saying hello.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just to report in, conditions in the Portes du Soleil are superb at the moment! We had a HUGE dump on Tuesday and Chatel has now got 175 cm at the bottom / 260 cm at the top.

The sun is out today and all is good! I will upload some photos as soon as I get 5 mins.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hello all,

Have been reading your forum for two weeks now, under the guise that I doing some serious research at work. Unfortunately as it is my first opportunity to return to the slopes for nearly 4 years and I am bouncing off the walls with excitement after reading the snow updates Madeye-Smiley, i am kinda giving the game away.

Anybody got any suggestions for a Morzine/ Avoriaz first timer....

Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi rmanin, and welcome to snowHead

What sort of advice are you after? Places to ski? Start at Avoriaz at the top of the Prodains cablecar, and you can't go wrong from there!!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have been out today around Nyon-chamossiere, still excellent powder to be had.

Llew Jr has finally seen the famous madame Oinky pig and managed to get a brief video.
I have started to create folders for each days pics.
http://cid-cc870dc63154a0f5.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Public/Morzine%202009?uc=5

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 19-02-09 22:14; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
FlyingStantoni, yep that would be great, driving up from La Rosiere Good Friday and in LG til Wednesday Very Happy
snow report
Hi Snowmonkey,

Many thanks for the welcome.
I suppose I am after recommended runs, restaraunts, bars(pretty much the usual).. I am going with quite a mixed group: two intermediate/ advanced, one beginner/intermediate (or so he says) and three beginners.

Will be taking my camera and zoom lens for celebrity Mdm Oinky.

Btw - Looking at your websites I have a funny feeling we maybe staying in one of your chalets.

1 Week 1 day and counting.............

Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Another great sunny day and a fab week.
Loads of jumps have now been created at piste edges and Llew Jr has had great fun trying to find all of them Madeye-Smiley

Holiday at its end and time to go home tomorrow Crying or Very sad
Not so many photos today as didn't stop as much.
http://cid-cc870dc63154a0f5.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Public/Morzine%202009

welcome rmanin, What type of runs do you like? Are the beginners first timers?
We've covered virtually every run in the Morzine / les Gets area this week and Llew Jr has progressed nicely therefore have a good perspective of beginner/intermediate upwards.
Can't help much with others as not been to many this week.
snow conditions
Cracking snaps, Llew! Still looks excellent, if a bit bumpier than when I was there two weekends back, especially the infamous Bouquetin. Hope you had a great trip... and left some for me Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Looks like plenty of snow, nice pics ............. the pig thing is hilarious, I'd say its not long before "rasher time" for that one - happy days ............... 13 days and counting ................ really looking forward to this year as the snow look to be the best for a long time !!!!!

May it stay cold (ish) and let it snow ................
latest report
What's going down in PdS? I saw various timid forecasts of a couple of cm but I just heard from one of our chalet hosts in LG who's worried about a drive he has to make to Switzerland cos the roads haven't been cleared. Another dump? Very Happy
snow conditions
It's beeing snowing all day in Morzine.....about another 10-15cm all over town. More forecast for tonight and a bit maybe tomorrow. Foreacasts seem to be a little vague and they are under estimating the amount we are getting each time. Town has emptied of Brits and filled up with French. Slopes were apparently quiet today. I went for a walk with the kids in the snow.
snow report
The snow depths now seem to be surpassing 1999, take a look at the picture I have posted on http://www.chaletgeorge.com of the carport that collapsed and crushed 3 Audi's yesterday!
snow conditions
endlessride, Hope they weren't RS4s...!
ski holidays
endlessride, incredible stuff - love the one of the tip of the signpost absolutely submerged in snow as well!
latest report
Quote:

The snow depths now seem to be surpassing 1999

Is anyone a SCGB member? I see they have snow records going back 15 years on their web site. The current snow levels are certainly as good as I remember but when you're only out for 1-2 weeks a year memory is rather selective.
ski holidays
What were the snow levels at this time last year? I seem to recall something like 130cm/55cm?
latest report
FastEddie, SCGB web site says 148/58cm (in Les Gets) but as noted above, you can't go beyond last season without membership.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SCGB shows that in years 1998/1999 - so in the weeks of February 1999 the depths were:

170/86, 242/158, 250/160 and 270/162

no coincidence that that was the year that we first visited and decided to buy a bit of land and build there - we probably thought it was always like that!
snow report
I thought this was a large queue for Chavannes Ex first thing in the morning Shocked even in French hols - is is really busy this week?

http://www.skifunshop.com/PagesF/CamF.html
snow report
The Les Gets website is saying 215/130 at the moment, maybe I got overexited with my comment above! But then again I was in the Valley de la Manche - not Les Gets!
snow conditions
Hi there all. I'm new to snowheads. Been reading the forums for quite a while but thought I would take the plunge so please be gentle.

I'm off out to Morzine on March 6th......... really can't wait. I've been donig the usual on the run up to my ski trips, i.e. checking the weather forecast, web cams etc. Looks like Morzine has been having some amazing weather so far but I've noticed the temperatures are starting to get quite mild. How is this going to affect the snow while we are there especially around the village. I've only ever really skied at higher level resorts before i.e. Tignes, Les deux Alpes.

Thanks in advance.
latest report
pilly2151, welcome! (you lurker you)
Don't worry about the snow, will be fine. I am going out the same day to Les Gets and am not worried at all this year. If there was a problem, there might be less snow in the village, but that's not always a bad thing.
A mere EIGHT sleeps to go Laughing

Gentle enough for you? wink

You will have a great time.
latest report
Welcome to snowHeads pilly2151.

www.snow-forecast.com has the freezing level moving up to 2750m on Saturday and then dropping down to around 1500m for the rest of the week. The temperature at 1000m is forecast to go up to around +6 in the village. But do bear in mind that there's an awful lot of snow around and that snow isn't going to disappear overnight because temperatures go up to +6.

What this all means is that you'll get freeze-thaw conditions - so icy pistes earlier in the morning turning into slushy towards the end of the day. Above 1500m is likely to be less icy - although that really does depend on how sunny it is / aspect, etc.

Bottom line. It'll be fine. You'll have a ball. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
First time poster as well, i'm heading over to morzine/le gets this weekend and thanks to all on the forums for the advice. I'll try pop on the forum near the end of my week to give everyone heading over around march the 6th an idea of the conditions.

1 more sleep NehNeh
latest report
bernie_lomax, oi, you're leaving for Les Gets a day early! It's two sleeps for me! Smile
ski holidays
Quote:

1 more sleep

Quote:

It's two sleeps for me!

How can you type, I'm just starting to get that excited butterfly type feeling today (well as well as realising that I have never been so unfit pre-ski rolling eyes )

Have a blast, if either of you see someone in black faceplanting/wiping out down the Chavannes on the 6th that'll be me in after rushing to the slopes from the airport
Toofy Grin
snow report
Lou, FastEddie, bernie_lomax, if you meet up for a snowHead cheeky drink at the Yeti, don't forget to stand in front of the fence next to the chairlift and wave at the web cam for all us poor s0ds stuck at home. Crying or Very sad
latest report
I always wonder if anyone spots someone they know on the web cams.... we leave for Les Gets tomorrow too - staying with friends on the way and arriving late Saturday.
ski holidays
For my last cheeky weekend away, I called mrsph at lunch time and waved at her and the kids on the Yeti webcam to let them know I was alive with all limbs in tact! Just remember to say cheese. Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy