Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz / Morzine / Les Gets / Chatel - 2008/9

Poster: A snowHead
The horses are always on the roam, they roamed over our garden the first year we were there and left deep holes in the newly laid turf. The pig was out last week, we watched from the Fys lift as a few skiers suddenly came upon it and got a bit of a shock. The pigs have also been round in the summer and left evidence of their visit.

Looking at Sagets site today it seemed that there were only the drag lifts open - I thought that it had looked very quiet on the Chavannes when I had looked at the webcam. Hopefully it will be better for all those there this week.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some of the locals call the Fys chair "the horse chair". The guy who owns the farm has some legal right to let his horses graze wildly. The town hall tried to stop him - so he "grazed" the horses in the centre of Morzine in the summer for a couple of weeks. Turns out that he has an cast iron right to graze the horses in town.

There is now, apparently, a gentlemen's agreement - keep the horses out of town and we won't make an issue out of the piste.

Don't you just love the French. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
According to zzz. who knows all the local goss, the bloke whose horses grazed under the Fys chair has been told his horses can't graze there any more.

So he's released his tactical pig.

Mad, good on him, but mad.

Only in the mountains...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm not one for excessive signs or health & safety but perhaps a warning sign might be in order for those who don't know they are there, maybe something like 'hors piste'

Sorry
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
scoman, Nice pics, great for building the excitement, as if I needed help Laughing
1 sleep before starting travel.

Weather is suggesting snow from now to Friday.
Can anybody confirm how the snow and conditions are currently Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oinky, as she has become known is still roaming around near the Fys chair. Saw her the other day trying to chew a police car bumper; while they were trying to drive away. Not sure she's long for this world.

Back to the snow conditions. Had a crap day yesterday, the powder was far too light, far too deep and bloody everywhere. Just to make matters worse, the sun came out!! Today it is snowing again.

Oh well

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 12-02-09 9:29; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
zzz, my heart bleeds for you mate. Twisted Evil

(Do me a favour and suffer in silence wink )
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
FlyingStantoni wrote:
zzz, my heart bleeds for you mate. Twisted Evil

(Do me a favour and suffer in silence wink )

Ok, I'll suffer in silence but only for the next three hours whilst I go snorkeling, oops, I mean skiing Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
zzz, can you do anything to ensure that the roads are blocked for the next 3 weeks, preventing those troublesome French schoolkids from messing up my perfect pow? Wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
FastEddie NOOOOOOOOO!!!! We arrive tomorrow and I want the roads to be as clear as possible! Laughing

1 sleep to go Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
FastEddie wrote:
zzz, can you do anything to ensure that the roads are blocked for the next 3 weeks, preventing those troublesome French schoolkids from messing up my perfect pow? Wink

I think the weather gods are already doing their best for you.

I was forced to go skiing this morning against my better judgement. I had a whizz around Les Gets where I have to say the snow was awesome. I went via the Fys chair to check out Oinky the powder pig. On my new Oinky snow depth scale (where 60cm is the top of her ears, whilst she stands on pointy toes) I'd say it was tummy deep, so not bad for three hours dumpage.

Off piste there was a bit of a wind blown crusty layer underneath the new snow but in sheltered spots it was over the head stuff. It's still dumping here and the local forecast is for it to continue for the next day or so.

On a general note, there is so much snow now that there are off pisty tree run type of routes opening up that havn't been used for years. Some runs with cliffs/drop-offs that would not normally be skied are suddenly very skiable.

Anyone coming out for half term is going to have a ball.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
zzz wrote:
Ok, I'll suffer in silence but only for the next three hours whilst I go snorkeling, oops, I mean skiing Toofy Grin

Sad

(I like the Oinky snow depth scale!)

Safe skiing.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Oinky Scale is probably more accurate than many of the snow reports. I'm looking forward to meeting him at the beginning of March, if you haven't eaten him by then.

Enjoy the snow you lucky lucky things Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For everyone going skiing over the next while, enjoy yourself but PLEASE be careful.
Too many avalanche accidents, especially poor M Delavay the week we were there.

CW.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
scoman wrote:
What an epic week I had for my first visit to Morzine blue skies to deep powder. I also saw the pig roaming under the Fys chair Andy but didn't have time to photo it!!

Gsyfreerider, you can view my pic's on the link below which tell the week as it went. Excuse some of the pic's of the misses and family!

http://snowtrips.blogspot.com

Oh my lord, that is funny! We have exactly the same pics. Even as far as I went to watch the Pinguins play St Gervais too! Except we only stayed for the 1st period as the hockey was terrible! 8 euros aint too bad, but for a rec level game it is shocking. We only found out afterwards that it was a friendly game.

Good times though!
latest report
FlyingStantoni, can you reccommend a guide or instructor pls, we are in Avoriaz a week on Sunday. Was given the name of Jackie at ESF Montriond but he is booked already, I know you have given a couple of Brit names to me before but any locals you can reccommend would be great, many thanks for your help.
snow conditions
Anyone got any pics of the slopes around Les Gets/Morzine from the last couple of days? Off there shortly. Whoop! Whoop!
snow conditions
Gsyfreerider - for completeness, here is everyone I can recommend either first hand or through friends. I'm sure that snowandtrek, zzz or one of the other locals can add to the list...

I've had lessons with Joe at Alpine Learning Curves over the last 4 years. Joe is based in Les Gets, but will meet you anywhere.

I did my instructor training with BASS Morzine and have either been taught by, or shadowed, most of the instructors and they're universally excellent. They all have their strengths and preferences - some love teaching kids, others love teaching technical skiers, etc) - and I can PM some specific recommendations if you know what you want.

Our old next door neighbour, an English guy called Dave Cruxton, is working for ESF Morzine until the beginning of March - he helped both MrsFlyingStantoni and myself when we were doing instructor training and is a really great instructor. Well worth seeking out and likely to provide excellent value as ESF's prices are good. You can book to meet him on Super Morzine and I'm pretty sure that you can book to meet him in Avoriaz.

If you specifically want lessons around Avoriaz then the Avoriaz Alpine Ski School has a good reputation and I've skied with Annie there - who is an excellent option if you want to explore the off-piste as she knows a great many nooks and crannies. Dave Peek there also has a great reputation for off-piste.

I've not had lessons with Mike Hammond at Ski Skills, but friends have and he has an excellent reputation. Mike is based out of Ardent, but will probably meet you anywhere.

Again, I've not had lessons off them myself, by The Snow Institute has a good reputation.

I know that both snowandtrek and zzz's kids have lessons from ESF instructors in Avoriaz and they can probably provide some specific recommendations there. snowandtrek also knows some ESF Montriond instructors.
snow report
FlyingStantoni, Thanks so much for that, hugely appreciated.
snow conditions
No worries Gsyfreerider.
snow report
Gsyfreerider, I can also recommend Pete Hughes and the team at Freedom to ski. We have had nothing but great feedback from all our clients, and I had a lesson with Pete at the start of the season.

Pete Hughes
Freedom 2 ski
Personal Ski Coaching

FR mobile: 0033 (0) 673 049 412 (From 07 Dec - 31 Apr 09)
mail: pete@freedom2ski.com
net: www.freedom2ski.com
ski holidays
cardweg, finally got around to loading your GPS trails into Google Earth. Thanks, it helped me reposition some of the lines on my 3d piste map, although it also demonstrated how variable GPS data can be. Either that or you really were making sudden jumps across/up the hill. Puzzled

BTW, you were really clocking on your last downhill run on the 21st!!! 114kph, was it?! Shocked
snow report
Lou wrote:
I'm not one for excessive signs or health & safety but perhaps a warning sign might be in order for those who don't know they are there, maybe something like 'hors piste'

Sorry

A belated Laughing Laughing Laughing rolling eyes
snow report
Have now been in Morzine since Saturday, skied yesterday and today.
Both days have been good sun although the clouds seem to be coming in this evening.
Most pistes have great snow, however some of the busiest are getting icy patches and could therefore do with a top up.

Do we have a new competition Puzzled
Who can produce the fastest ski via GPS
latest report
Llew,
Quote:

Who can produce the fastest ski via GPS

Maybe extra time allowed as it's half-term? Oh, and be careful of Oinky.....

Have a good week.
latest report
The wigglies are getting interesting...monitoring for those of us arriving in the area at the end of the month...

Perfect temperatures, perfect spike of snow the day we arrive - although I'm the kiss of death when it comes to fresh pow, I never tire of hoping Smile
ski holidays
That's impressive, I get tired from hopping after only a minute or two
latest report
Lou,
Quote:
be careful of Oinky.....

After your comment we decided to go to find her this morning and manged to get a picture.

What a difference a day makes, sunny for 2 days and now light snow probably in for the day.
Have a look at the difference with visibility over the days.

http://cid-cc870dc63154a0f5.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Public/Morzine%202009
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That's her! I'd recognise her anywhere! Laughing Nice one Llew
snow conditions
By the look of things, the area seemed to take a bit of a pasting snow wise today.
snowHead

Didn't think I would ever be saying, "Lucky half termers"
latest report
Back after being out again late this afternoon, pistes were quieter, probably people gone home wet.
Snow was great, up to knees on the edge of pistes.
Its finally stopped snowing.

I'd say we've probably had about 25cm.
My car was clear yesterday.
http://cid-cc870dc63154a0f5.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Morzine%202009/car17Feb09%20.JPG

should be great snow tomorrow snowHead
snow report
[quote="andyph"][b]cardweg[/b], finally got around to loading your GPS trails into Google Earth. Thanks, it helped me reposition some of the lines on my 3d piste map, although it also demonstrated how variable GPS data can be. Either that or you really were making sudden jumps across/up the hill. Puzzled

BTW, you were really clocking on your last downhill run on the 21st!!! 114kph, was it?! Shocked[/quote]

There is no way I was doing that speed - trust me. I suspect it was more to do with being in the trees under the red bubble and the GPS (my Nokia N82 phone) losing signal.

I suspect the 50 odd mph down Tulipe is more accurate, though Laughing

Glad they were of some use.

Showed your tracks to my friend who has a plce out there. We had very anorakky evening working out which runs you could and couldn't see from his place.

CW Happy
snow conditions
garyscott20 wrote:
By the look of things, the area seemed to take a bit of a pasting snow wise today.
snowHead

Didn't think I would ever be saying, "Lucky half termers"

Well it has been snowing all day and I've cleared the drive twice. I reckon we've had a good 60cm in my garden.

Poor Oinky; I hope she has an aqualung.
ski holidays
Llew, ahh she's lovely (I take it she is a 'she'), looking forward to meeting her in two weeks. I think my friends will think I've finally snapped if I tell them I met her first online Laughing

My 9 yr old is impressed and is already worried that there might not be enough snow to ski to meet her 2nd week April when he is next there.

Now, do you think I should start a thread "HELP, will BA allow potato peelings in hand luggage? Or should I put them in the hold?"

Enjoy new snow all snowHead
snow report
Oh my GOD zzz, your news makes me aroused.

Very Happy

Pictures please first thing!
snow conditions
FastEddie, what? of zzz's driveway? It's not that exciting, a few cars, a garage...

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 18-02-09 9:25; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
FastEddie wrote:
Oh my GOD zzz, your news makes me aroused.

Ah bless. In truth it's a wee small thing. But it's touching that it's made someone aroused.

Anything in a name FastEddie? wink

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
You GUYS.....

Very Happy
ski holidays
How much snow.......................................who's out skiing today? ME!!!!!!!

Take a look at the blog for some pictures taken yesrday afternoon in our garden. I don't think I have ever seen such big flakes for such a long period of time....

Heres to a happy powder day....
ski holidays
snowandtrek, Very Happy Very Happy very happy to see all that snow, thank you! Have a great day.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy