Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz / Morzine / Les Gets / Chatel - 2008/9

Poster: A snowHead
what...snow,
Quote:

Not helped by the chairlift going staight over your head

There's always a ruddy chairlift going over the runs that you are trying to psych yourself into doing. The one over the Bouquetin is particularly well placed to watch unfolding disasters beneath, hence I've not even attempted Embarassed
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
under a new name wrote:
paulio, which black said danger ice but heavy and wet? Both blacks off the top of the chair are North-ish facing and we're lovely 3 weeks ago (not that that means anything)...

"Gazelle" I think.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
what...snow, I agree with you that Bouquetin is harder than The Swiss Wall - it's not only that it's steep, but also narrow in the bottom section.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Spent a week in Les Gets from the 24. - 31. January. Flight into Geneva was delayed due to the runways being closed by snow on the 24th. Got to Les Gets at 7.15pm, so it was a case of drop the bags and get to the Supermarket before it closed.

The forecast kept saying it was going to snow, but all we got, except for a morning of fog, was bright sunshine and no winds. Snow was pretty excellent most of the time, with just a few icy patches and the odd brown patch by th end of the week.

Prices seem to be getting expensive, charged 4 euro for a can of coke in a down market restaurant. 1.2 kilos of beef cost 48 euro. One of our party managed to build up a 95 euro bar bill in one night too.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Two cans of pop and a bottle of water cost me €11 in some rip-off mountain caf somewhere in Les Gets.

The €8 plate of chips (approximate value: 65p) was an eye waterer too.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We paid 3 euro for chips in a plastic box at the Snack Bar up in the mountains somewhere, which wasn't too bad. The yellow hotdog stuffed in half a baguette was also 3 euro and quite edible.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anyone got a report on the cost of tartiflette? I need to build it into my budget...last year we ate every day on the terrace at the restaurant on the front de neige next to the Chavannes lift/red egg.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
FastEddie

Tartiflette cost us 16.50 euro each in Avoriaz a couple of weeks back. One beer (large) a apple juice and a very small white wine & 2 packs of crisps 17.50 Euro.

Going back with my eldest two next month I need to earn some more money. Any one need a plumber!!!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What's it doing today? SA Gets et al suggest it's mild and slushy, which is NO USE TO ME AT ALL Evil or Very Mad I'm arriving Friday night and it has to be perfect rolling eyes.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
30-35cm predicted for the weekend, so I hear...hope so, I've just booked my trip for the first week in March!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, starting to keep a closer eye on the weather again as 4 weeks tomorrow Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Always keep an eye on the weather, looks as if it will get colder again in a few days - home to grey and damp UK last night, but back in three weeks Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pamski,
Quote:

keep a closer eye

hourly webcam checks as opposed to daily rolling eyes Laughing

I go on 6th for weekend, how about you?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lou ,
Have a great weekend. My spies tell me that the snow will be good for you.
Take care, and if you fancy a new eating experience, try la Paika.
CW Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lou - we go back on the 28th... and think the first week we are back will still be busy, then will be there for a few weeks -

La Paika definitely good for lunch!
ski holidays
Hi Avoriaz mad people

Going with a early intermediate at the end of March so any ideas on Perfect runs to get her back into it???

After last year and all the worry about no snow - this year were getting too much!!! - Some people are just never happy!!! I need to learn to ski powder as well as I've learnt to ski ice over the past couple of years! wink
ski holidays
Only hours to go. Fresh snow is coming. Getting Madeye-Smiley Toofy Grin Shocked snowHead snowHead
snow report
andyph, hope all your dreams come true! I'll be watching with keen interest...need as much as possible through the French holidays so it's still in good condition when we get there at the end of the month Smile
snow report
andyph, wot he says ^^^^ Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
cardweg,
Quote:
if you fancy a new eating experience, try la Paika

Sorry if I've missed this, but where exactly is this and what do you mean by new eating experience Puzzled
What type of food Puzzled
latest report
half way down the (blue) Vorosses run in Les Gets - just where it crosses the Turche drag lift.

That is what I have been told by other good snowheads, haven't actually tried it myself, but will be giving it a go on the next trip.
ski holidays
garyscott20, me too - even dug out my piste map to find the location of this hidden gem!
ski holidays
Take the Grains d'Or six man lift out of the Rosta bowl, turn right, and then instead of taking the red run down to the bottom of the Perrieres lift go on down the blue that is beside the top of the drag lift up from La Turche, and then its easier not to take the path where the restaurant sign itself is, but just carry on a bit further down the run and scoot over the track for the drag lift and you are at the front of the restaurant - lots of tables and chairs outside when the weather is fine.
snow report
Pamski, top directions...worth a trip out for our first day's lunch?
snow report
Thanks all, but whats meant by new eating experience, what type of food and cost Puzzled
snow report
Pamski wrote:
Take the Grains d'Or six man lift out of the Rosta bowl, turn right, and then instead of taking the red run down to the bottom of the Perrieres lift go on down the blue that is beside the top of the drag lift up from La Turche, and then its easier not to take the path where the restaurant sign itself is, but just carry on a bit further down the run and scoot over the track for the drag lift and you are at the front of the restaurant - lots of tables and chairs outside when the weather is fine.

Alternatively - halfway down Vorosses wink

Llew - whole baby BBQ chicken (the best I've ever had) - 14 euros. Fab deserts. You really need to book though - 04 50 92 85 22.
latest report
thanks FlyingStantoni, perhaps I best not tell my daughter, she is mad for deserts wink
snow report
FlyingStantoni, Any recent pics of epic conditions/runs in Avoriaz and surrounding areas you can post? Only two weeks to go now and I want to have a look at the goods before I sample them!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gsyfreerider, No Pics, sorry, but I have to go and clear another 8 inches of white stuff from the parking in Morzine this morning.
Maybe after an hour of first lift freedom from Ardent. They are dynamiting as I type so there must be a load above us.
Field of dreams here I come. Have a great day all Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Well I'm still in Les Gets and its still snowing!!! Yesterday was fantastic, one of the best days skiing ever - except that you couldn't see too far! However the powder is great and these are fab conditions if you want to go and have a little fun doing some silly jumps and off-piste. Enjoy!! snowHead
snow report
Stonking powder conditions all over the Portes du Soleil today!!! Very Happy
snow conditions
From what I heard the conditions were fantastic today. I was relegated to chalet slave as our chalet couple decided to go home on 12hrs notice arrrgghhh

Also MrSnowandTrek has cracked a vertabre in his back and so can't ski for the rest of the season - he slipped on the ice. So I've lost my ski buddy!

Hope to be up there tomorrow in the morning so will report back a.s.a.p.
snow report
snowandtrek,
Quote:
MrSnowandTrek has cracked a vertabre in his back

Sorry to hear this, I expect its really painful. Hope hes got lots of Diclofenac.

Great to hear loads of snow.
Only 3 sleeps to go Very Happy
Anybody got any recent pics Puzzled
snow conditions
I got back from PDS Saturday - before the big dump started - we had 4 days of pretty changeable weather all over really. At times glorious sunshine and others overcast. The skiing was good and we managed to do the PDS circuit. Ardent - Chatel - Morgins - Champoussin - Crosets - Champery - Avoriaz - Ardent. I will post more later and if I can figure it out I will also post some pics and videos, I got some beauties over in the Champoussin and Morgins regions where we didn't see anyone else for 10-15mins at a time.

A great week, apart from exploding my elbow on day one in a huge wipeout, then an hour later landing a jump badly on it and making it worse. ooops!

As this is clearly the wrong thread for all of this I will probably start a new one and link in wink
snow report
snowandtrek, sorry to hear about mrsnowandtrek - send him my best.
snow report
Sorry that your ski buddy is out of action snowandtrek. It sounds nasty. I hope he has a speedy recovery.
snow report
Could this have been The Best Skiing Weekend... to coin a phrase, Ever?

Friday night; outside, it dumped Very Happy, inside, hung out with a nice crowd from Red Bull Racing. Saturday, picked up a pair of wide-ish (for me anyway) Elan Magfire 12s and went looking for fun. As moomooheidi says, light a bit flat at times, but the combination of a downed telegraph pole on the Taninges road and a psychotic lorry driver failing to get up Rue de Chavannes without chains (attempts to improvise using cars also a failure) meant the slopes were MINE ALL MINE!!! Twisted Evil

Decided to warm up by skiing every piste on Chavannes side as far as Chamossiere. Checked out La Paika - Awesome Chicken (that shall be my band name) but service too slow for a man on a mission. Yeti off Rosta had large lumpy bumps (hmm, The Lumpy Bumps? no, silly...) but I fancied the look of the soft stuff to skier's right and that formed the plan for the rest of the weekend. After 6 1/2 hours warm-up, headed off to warm up. New crowd for dinner with amazing tales of Lucy from Leicestershire. All I'll say is that I'll never look at a hot-tub or cow poo in the same way... Confused

Sunday, straight to Chery and oh my god what is this soft stuff under my skis!!!! Even the pistes were off-piste Shocked . Bouquetin actually slightly easier (if that's the word) than usual - the best bit halfway down when gravity could be relied on to plough through the powder and not worry about the terrain. Bliss! Still, once was enough. (BTW, chatting with a long-time LG and Avoriaz resident British instructor, he admitted he's never skied Bouquetin). Afternoon, headed for Pleney for a change. Can anyone tell me why there is a pig on piste patrol near the Fys chairlift?

Monday, and what's that light in the sky? That be the sun, son. Embarassed. Didn't last long, but it was all I needed to head for Chamossiere again (so much nicer when you can see the slope), and Nyon. Glorious views! Did the vertical 1km from top to bottom (it's just a box I like to tick, OK?) and then mucked about. Much more crowded today.

I see that Les Gets is basically closed today due to wind. To everyone still there, I feel bad for you, but it'll still be there tomorrow. Some of us are heading back to the land where hills don't grow (that would be the Netherlands). Gotta get back somehow... Toofy Grin
latest report
andyph, thanks for that exciting report, so exciting that I'm even more excited about my next exciting visit in three weeks and three days Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Quote:

Can anyone tell me why there is a pig on piste patrol near the Fys chairlift?

Can't say I've noticed a pig Shocked but there is a farm there and a little dog who likes nothing better than an impromtu snowball chase. I have seen horses loose on way down the Crocus once, that was slightly disconcerting but the chap with them wasn't bothered about health & safety (for man or beast) in the slightest rolling eyes
snow conditions
Sounds like it's been a bit of a wildlife park this season. My chalet hosts have also seen a deer and a small group of wild boars on a family outing so far this season. The boars were on the outing, the humans were just skiing. Maybe it's the weather... perhaps Brian or carled can shed any light
latest report
What an epic week I had for my first visit to Morzine blue skies to deep powder. I also saw the pig roaming under the Fys chair Andy but didn't have time to photo it!!

Gsyfreerider, you can view my pic's on the link below which tell the week as it went. Excuse some of the pic's of the misses and family!

http://snowtrips.blogspot.com
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy