Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What to do with old skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Have two pairs of old skis in the loft - while ebay does seem to shift any old tat, I can't really see a market for 10+ year old skis?

If I went regularly, or lived there, I would keep them as rock-hoppers

Failing that - any views on whether they can be recycled?

Or is it off to the tip?

If of course you do want a 188cm pair of K2s or Ladies HEAD skis - then let me know
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tip.

I just did that to a pair of Salomon Axendo Series that had been polluting the garage for an age.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Give them to the hire shop at Nevis Range. They'll think you're from the future or something.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Boris, If you're anywhere near Nottingham I've have 'em for clients to practice base repairs on.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Put them on Freecycle. Should have one in your area. Although actually getting onto it and registering is a real pain.
http://www.freecycle.org/group/UK
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Freecycle is a good idea. Skis are apparently not environmentally too friendly - landfill material! So if anyone can use them, good. I am on freecycle and it's better to give things away than throw them out, when possible. Alternatively, you could take them to a charity shop - even if they eventually have to take them to a tip, there's a chance that someone will buy them. I've seen skis a lot older in our local Sue Ryder!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
Freecycle is a good idea. Skis are apparently not environmentally too friendly - landfill material! So if anyone can use them, good. I am on freecycle and it's better to give things away than throw them out, when possible. Alternatively, you could take them to a charity shop - even if they eventually have to take them to a tip, there's a chance that someone will buy them. I've seen skis a lot older in our local Sue Ryder!

Probably downright dangerous and Sue Ryder potentially expose themselves legal action for selling them with bindings. Some charity shops I saw in Canada won't sell skis without the bindings taken off (therby putting the onus on the buyer to ensure they are remounted safely) & they generally have much newer stuff than people clear out of their lofts here.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
According to this thread Easiski's sister seems to make casette racks out of them. Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Open a bar and nail them to the roof
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Give them to me,i want to make a bench out of skis snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i've seen a wine rack made out of skis before, cont remeber where though . . .
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Martin Nicholas, It looks pretty good too Cool
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fatbob, You give them away on Freecycle not sell them thats why its called Free. People collect them from your house and take them as seen so no comeback
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm sure I've seen a picture on here where someone made a pair into a good strong shelf. Failing that I've always thought that they would make good runners on a home-made sledge
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum wrote:
I've always thought that they would make good runners on a home-made sledge

Oh YES!!!!!! Danger....

It would of course need some elaborate tilting and turning mech and good brakes
snow report
Boris, save em as sometimes the big retailers will have a "trade in" sale. saved a bit buying skis for the fam a while back, i think it was like 50 or 70 a pair
ski holidays
ruthie wrote:
fatbob, You give them away on Freecycle not sell them thats why its called Free. People collect them from your house and take them as seen so no comeback

I understand Freecycle but I was referring to charity shops selling product that they don't understand/can't warrant - would be a shame if a charity takes a major hit because some idiot buys a 2m pair of skis from them knowing nothing about the sport then breaks his leg with them.
snow conditions
fatbob, oops Sorry misunderstanding. Often wondered about safety of electical equipment, cookers etc charity shops sell as well.
snow report
ruthie, IIRC I don't think charity shops are allowed to sell things with plugs on now if they haven't been electically certified as safe. For this reason if the charity shop hasn't access to someone appropriately qualified and it can be expensive some charity shops now won't accept electrical goods with plugs on
snow report
Quote:

I don't think charity shops are allowed to sell things with plugs on now

Hmmm...won't be long before the sale of everything - new and old - is banned on "health & safety grounds".

It really boils my p*$$!! Whatever happened to "Buyer beware"??????
ski holidays
No, charity shops don't generally take electrical things (I got a very nice one of those boot warming blower things, because of that, with a French plug on too, from my friend who manages a charity shop!). Not sure about any new rules about skis - I might ask her. But there is no difficulty ordering a pair of highly unsuitable skis from one of the many online retailers; is there a difference? My daughter recently bought a pair of very silly stilettos, for a fancy dress party, from a charity shop. Can she sue them if she breaks her neck or gets bunions? They're far more lethal than any pair of skis I've seen! That reminds me, my friend set aside a pair of Jimmy Choos that a kind donor bought into their shop - stuff like that gets specially dealt with. When she wasn't looking one of the "helpers" sold them for £5. Shocked
latest report
One of my friends makes fences from old skis....

Another makes chairs(outdoor ones)
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
Boris, If you're anywhere near Nottingham I've have 'em for clients to practice base repairs on.

Bit far away unfortunately - Northants/Coventry depending on whether home or work

May give freecycle a go - my wife's pair (oh err) are perfectly skiiable in my view. So are mine to be honest but a bit long and thin. Suppose I could hang on to them and wait for them to be fashionable again!

Failing that will hang them on the garage wall Laughing
ski holidays
Two pairs - bit of a short fence! Could do a sort of tepee shape, I suppose, and grow sweet peas up them next year. Or runner beans.
ski holidays
I recall that there was a scheme being ran by some guys in the Army, taking old skis out to Afghanistan for the locals. It was on the news about 12 months ago but I've struggled to turn up anything on the web except:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article729912.ece

Sounds like they need all the help they can get !
latest report
Use them for scree skiing! Cool
ski holidays
Boris, spyderjon, i work coventry (well leamington) and live in nottingham so if you want i can pick the skis up and deliver them if that helps
latest report
mountainaddict, Nice one Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
paulio wrote:
Give them to the hire shop at Nevis Range. They'll think you're from the future or something.

ROFLMAO......

I had an oldish pair, but quite serviceable pair of carvers a few years ago and gave them to Aldershot ski slope - they seemed quite happy to take them.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy