Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good books

Poster: A snowHead
I've just finished

Six Degrees by Mark Lynas a rather gloomy outlook on our future if we keep consuming oil and generally ruining the planet, quite sobering reading.

More light hearted was Another long day on the piste by Will Randell described pretty accuratly as " essential apres-ski reading - a self-deprecating and deliriously funny Alpine adventure". It cheered me up after the first one and the most recent read was Avalanche by Jack Drummond described as "A tense and gripping thriller set in an exclusive ski resort: AVALANCHE heralds the explosive return of the disaster novel!" Gruesome ending....but certainly gripping stuff if a little predictable in places. Anyone got others worth a read ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Frosty, Some good suggestions here

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=16652

I'm reading 'Jamilia' by Chingiz Aitmatov at the moment & enjoying it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
genepi, oh thanks, thats a HUGE thread, not sure how I missed it
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I thought "Avalanche" totally sucked. Bad writing, plotting and the skiing stuff just felt wrong.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stoatsbrother wrote:
I thought "Avalanche" totally sucked. Bad writing, plotting and the skiing stuff just felt wrong.

But lots of us suckers bought it. Large parts of it seemed to be total bunk but there were astonishingly detailed explanations of stuff like Gasex systems.

I spent most of my time trying to work out which "fictional" resort it was based on but couldn't work it out from the descriptions.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I read the Randall book earlier this year - I thought it was an enojoyable read. Currently very much enjoying 607 Squadron and have recently Enjoyed Stuart Maconie's two books, Cider With Roadies and Pies and Prejudice
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nbt, I really loved those Maconie books, you might like "thats me in the corner" by Andrew Collins - his onetime writing partner. Does every ex-NME journalist write a book?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gone and ordered another long day on the piste... wondering how a ski novel is. Also decided to get The Last Lecture, just watched the lecture now and seems like book should be interesting. One of my favourite books is The Outsider aka The Stranger by albert camus, short but sweet.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ski The World by Arnie Wilson

365 consecutive days in 240 resorts in 13 countries
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
clare mcbride, Tears in the Snow ? Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bones, Yes many, still a very good read though. Sad
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm reading 'Midnight's Children' by Salman Rushdie. It's awful. I consider myself reasonably intelligent but I don't get this book. Three pages at night and I'm snoring. There isn't really a story going on and I dislike the main character 'Saleem'. Actually all the characters are unbelievable apart from the 'reverend mother', she's quite amusing. I've picked up the new James Bond written by Sebastian Faulks - a lot more entertaining.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
erica2004, I once tried to read Mikhail Gorbachev's (sp?) memoirs, that took dull to a new level and I gave up (first time ever) after half way and threw it in the bin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Isn't it funny how people always admit when they are reading something intellectual or relevant (snow/exploring) related. Yet, never admit to reading anything that would have the mickey poked at it Embarassed and No, I'm not telling you what it is.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, don't worry, I like Jilly Cooper too!
snow conditions
Megamum, your right I think Gorby's book was just too intellectual for me. Blush
ski holidays
 Gen007
Gen007
your right I think Gorby's book was just too intellectual for me. Smile
snow report
Gen007, Welcome to snowheads
snow report
erica2004, I tried reading "The Satanic Verses". I failed.

I once recommended Joseph Heller's "Picture this" to a friend as a holiday read. I think it's a good book. My friend swore never to listen to my book recommendations again Toofy Grin
latest report
'Trust me I'm a Junior Doctor' by Max Pemberton - really funny and poignent moments too, so true, hilarious especially for doctors and other health professionals and a must for 5th year medics. In fact I think everyone should read it!
snow conditions
erica2004 wrote:
I'm reading 'Midnight's Children' by Salman Rushdie. It's awful. I consider myself reasonably intelligent but I don't get this book.

My sentiments exactly! rolling eyes

There aren't many books I've given up on but after trying about 3 or 4 times, I gave in and gave up. It's put me off trying any of his other books too. Maybe it's also that I just can't stand the man. Whenever I've seen him interviewed, he comes over as a pretentious tosser. (Oh, and I guess he thinks highly of me too Laughing .)
snow report
martski, OK - I'm wading through a JC at the moment - you are persceptive!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy