Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

EasyJet baggage allowances - the facts! (Read before you fly!)

Poster: A snowHead
Helen Beaumont, ah okay. And I'm assuming you pre-paid for 1 hold bag each?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
beanie1, I actually booked just before the baggage charge came in, but the booking I made for my son later said the the same thing.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Helen Beaumont, So you paid for 1 bag for your son and it said the same message as on my confirmation?

In that case, hopefully I'm covered!! If the worst happens do you know what they charge at the airport?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
beanie1,

Don't quote me but I believe it will be £8 (per bag per flight) instead of £4 for booking check-in bagage online.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
beanie1, I was unsure whether I had paid so I called them, they checked and told me that one booking was before charges so was free, the other I had paid. as someone else said it automatically defaults to one bag each way so you have either got it for free or have paid by defualt.

give them a call.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Apologies if this may be rehashing up already covered ground, but I have searched the forums and can't find the exact answer anywhere.

We have booked (2 adults and 2 children) with Easyjet in February to go to Grenoble Return flight in UK Feb half term.

We have 3 hold bags up to 80kg as each passenger gets a 20kg allowance.

Nowhere on the Easyjet site that I can find does it say anything about the maximum dimensions of hold luggage - just weight maximum of 32kg per bag.

I have a Head Team Bag with roller wheels (190cm long) which I was going to use to take one pair of skis and boots and pack it out a little with clothing - I was planning to use this as one of our hold baggage allowances.

Can anyone tell me if they have had experience of doing this or point me to the Easyjet website/t's & c's, where it states that I cannot use my holdall wheelie bag with skis and boots packed in as part of our hold baggage?

Thanks
TG
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Touchguru, I assume you mean 4 hold bags at 80kg total.

You should have booked ski carraige for skis as an extra item because it is sports equipment. The rules state that you must book sports carraige if you want to take skis - it is a 'positive' rule in that it is saying what you must do to take skis, not a negative rule saying you can not take skis as hold baggage. Booking ski carraige provides an extra 12 kg allowance and covers the handling charges for over sized luggage, and the cost per flight is more than the charge for general hold baggage.

Based upon your booking you have paid for 4 hold bags up to a maximum of 20 kg each (Ignore the 32 kg limit because that is simply the maximum weight they will allow a single bag to weigh (the baggage staff are not all weight lifters !) and it has nothing to do with allowances. Also if you exceed the 20 kg limit for a bag you can not simply offset the extra weight against another bag that has less than 20 kg, i.e. 23 kg in one bag and 17 kg means 40kg but you are likely to be charged excess baggage of 3kg) and if you trun up with 3 hold bags and a ski bag (with a 4 hold baggage booking) they will charge you extra for the ski bag at what ever the 'at airport' rate is, and you will not get a rebate because you have elected to take three hold bags instead of four hold bags.

You should have simply paid the £18 or whatever forn the ski in the first place, rather than trying to blag skis as general hold baggage at £6 a flight.

Try blagging it at the desk maybe but i doubt you will win your argument.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks rayscoops, we are taking 3 bags with 80kg allowance split between the 3 bags. it was an additional cost to pay for another hold bag without getting any additional luggage allowance - the number of bags is inconsequential to the amount of allowance which is fixed at 20kg per person but it seems to make a difference to the fare cost if you add or subtract hold bags. (and we could get by with 3 hold bags i.e. 2 cases and one holdall wheelie bag)

That is why I raised the issue with the 32kg weight as I know this is the maximum amount a single piece can weigh which is material for us as we would only be taking 3 bags between us with a combined allowance of 80kg. I wouldn''t be charged excess baggage for one case being heavier than 20kg as this is per their rules and regulations and how else could you get 3 hold bags on board with an allowance of 80kg if at least 2 of the bags were not heavier than 20kg but less than 32kg?

I agree it is not worth blagging at the desk and you have answered my question as I still have the option of going onto the Easyjet site and decreasing my hold luggage by one bag and adding ski carriage with a net effect of £12 more for each flight.

Thanks
TG
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
why not call them and ask for clarification? tel numbers are in FAQ section on Easyjet website.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Touchguru, I think you really need to check that out as that's not been my previous experience with EasyJet.

When I've flown with them before, you pay for your standard airfare and then add on luggage as you need it. Each piece of luggage added has to weigh no more than 20kg, or you will be charged excess per kg over that limit. It doesn't matter that there are 4 of you travelling, you have only paid for 3 sets of luggage, and each piece of luggage is subject to the 20kg limit.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dav, yip that is my undestanding, each passenger gets 20 kg allowance 'free' and the charge is per bag that makes up the 20 kg allowance, so pay for 3 bags for one person means 20 kg carried in 3 bags at the £6 ? charge per bag. I do not think 80kg can ever apply to 4 pasengers Puzzled
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Touchguru, If you have any hold bag more than 20kg then you will be charged excess
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have just checked my email booking confirmation and I definitely have 80kg for 4 passengers at 20kg per passenger allocated in 3 hold bags. Puzzled I will check with them tomorrow and report back.

TG
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
At EoSB09 there were four of us being checked in at Luton at the same time. Me & OH had paid for two hold bags and one pair of skis. Corona & OH had paid for two hold bags and two pairs of skis. So the total checked in baggage allowance came to 116kg. The check in girl didn't care if any bag was over 20kg as long as the total was less than 116kg.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Are Ryanair's sports limits not 20Kg?

From their website:
Sporting equipment including but not limited to large fishing rods, golf clubs, bicycles, scooters, fencing equipment, surfboards, bodyboards, snowboards and skis and large musical instruments including but not limited to cellos, harps, double bass and drums are inherently unsuitable for carriage by airlines operating fast turnarounds such as Ryanair. However, these items may be carried in the hold of the aircraft in addition to your personal checked baggage allowance up to a limit of 20 kilos per item upon payment of an additional discounted fee per item, per one way flight if booked online. If the item is not booked until arrival at the airport or through a Ryanair call centre the full fee will apply (Click here for rate details). Any item of sports equipment weighing over 20 kilos will be charged for the excess weight at the applicable rate per kilo.
snow conditions
Seem to remember my bag was 6kg last time I flew to Geneva! Very Happy My friends must have packed lead blocks or something as they were struggling with their bags. rolling eyes Very Happy
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
Dav, yip that is my undestanding, each passenger gets 20 kg allowance 'free' and the charge is per bag that makes up the 20 kg allowance, so pay for 3 bags for one person means 20 kg carried in 3 bags at the £6 ? charge per bag. I do not think 80kg can ever apply to 4 pasengers Puzzled

Unlike Ryanair, Easyjet T&C do not say that baggage allowances cannot be pooled among a party. So in theory if three of you travel, all having paid for baggage, then you could have one at 30Kg, and two at 15Kg, and this would be allowed.

But you can't have 80Kg allowance among 4 people unless you have paid for at least four bags, because each person only gets the 20Kg allowance on paying for one (or more) bags.
snow conditions
Two questions...

A) Can I add another board bag after the initial booking for £15ew or is there some massive admin charge?

B) does your 20kg include hand luggage or is that separate, subject to 5/10kg limits?
snow conditions
You can add a ski bag for no extra fee later, I've just done it myself for a flight in March.

On Easyjet there is no hand luggage weight restriction, so long as you can easily lift your item into an overhead locker.
snow report
I checked with flybe and there is no weight restriction on ski equipment. However, you can only put skis, boots and poles in (there is a maximum on the length on some flights too)

Best I can hope for is sneaking in some socks down the bottom of my boots Sad

Looks like its gonna be a warm flight as I will be wearing most of my gear Smile
snow report
bar shaker, with EJ I think you can pay an admin charge and put more bags in the hold as long as the total is no more than 20kg per passenger. Wor kid did that earlier this year when he flew to GVA from NCL.

Hand luggage is not weighed. But it has to be no more than a certain physical size. It you can easily lift it into the overhead lockers then you can take it.
snow report
tiffin, do they open your ski bag to check?

I haven't flown with flybe only EJ fo a ski holiday. I pay for one pair of skis and put two pairs in my double ski bag along with the poles, ski jacket, salopets etc. As long as the total weight is no more that the allowance EJ don't care.
snow conditions
Battlezone, Probably not if it was sealed but they were fairly clear about the restriction and the chap did say I may be asked to check any other gear in in the normal fashion. The friend I am staying with is driving over to Wengen and can take the gear but FB wouldn't refund the the fee so I might as well use them.

FB were not cheapest either, £22 each way.
snow conditions
alex_heney wrote:
Unlike Ryanair, Easyjet T&C do not say that baggage allowances cannot be pooled among a party. So in theory if three of you travel, all having paid for baggage, then you could have one at 30Kg, and two at 15Kg, and this would be allowed.

But you can't have 80Kg allowance among 4 people unless you have paid for at least four bags, because each person only gets the 20Kg allowance on paying for one (or more) bags.

Just come back from Tignes with EJ through Geneva/Luton. On the way out we had one hold bag for 3 people with an allowance of 32kg - no problem at the desk whatsoever, they even stuck an oversize lable on it and has us take it to the outsize bag drop.

Too sloppy to pack carefully on the way home so the night before the flight we booked an additional hold bag for £8. This bumped the overall baggage allowance up to 60kgs for 3 persons split between 2 bags. Again no problem at the desk.
snow conditions
alex_heney, EJ may not specifically say that baggage can not be pooled but if possible it is best to keep under 20kg for each bag because that is the allowance and you may find a 'jobsworth' one day. The 20 kg allowance is free with the flight even if you do not book a hold bag; they charge per bag so if you do not have a bag the charge is zero. I always pay for ski carraige but not for a hold bag and I then get 32 kg allowance, the 20 kg free and the extra 12 kg for my snowboard bag.
snow report
rayscoops, so you are saying that if you pay for a ski bag you automatically get a 32kg allowance and do not have to pay for 'ordinary' hold bag?
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
The 20 kg allowance is free with the flight even if you do not book a hold bag;

That isn't the way I would read their website, but it is obvious from yours and others experiences that is how they treat it in practice.

http://www.easyjet.com/en/book/regulations.html#baggage

Quote:
Checked Baggage

Every item of standard checked ('hold') baggage will incur a fee. The applicable online fee will be displayed at the time of booking baggage (whether during or after booking your flight). Alternatively, you may choose to pay a higher charge at the airport. You will be advised of this charge at the airport. Payment of the fee provides you with an aggregate allowance of 20kg across all pieces of hold baggage which may only be increased by payment of excess weight charges.
snow conditions
Battlezone, that is exactly what i have always done, but ...... alex_heney, I think they must have changed the rules ..... again
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Battlezone wrote:
bar shaker, with EJ I think you can pay an admin charge and put more bags in the hold as long as the total is no more than 20kg per passenger. Wor kid did that earlier this year when he flew to GVA from NCL.

Hand luggage is not weighed. But it has to be no more than a certain physical size. It you can easily lift it into the overhead lockers then you can take it.

I rang and booked it this morning. It was £30 + £7 admin fee.

Between 3 of us, we now have 2x 32 + 1x 20 = 84kg. I asked if it mattered what equipment goes in the 'sports bag' and the chap said no, provided it was under 32kg.
latest report
alex_heney, I think the section 'Sports Equipment' is quite clear that by paying the Fee I get 32 kg ?

From the EJ website

Sports Equipment and Musical Instrument Charges
An additional non-refundable fee is charged per item per flight for the carriage of the sporting equipment....... Payment of the additional fee increases your checked-in hold baggage allowance (including additional item) to a maximum weight of 32kgs.

Up to 8 pieces of checked-in hold baggage to a maximum combined weight of 20kg. Each piece of checked-in hold baggage will incur a fee, which is payable online or at the airport at a higher charge. A fee per kilo for excess weight is charged at the airport prior to departure

We allow 20kg of baggage per passenger. You can buy extra bags or weight now at a special rate, or at the airport at a more expensive rate. Change the number of hold bags or extra weight for this booking to suit your needs. Further bags can be added online at any time via My easyJet.com. Purchasing additional bags does not increase your weight allowance. Our baggage handlers are strong and careful, but to save their backs no single bag may weigh more than 32kg. Bag charges are non-refundable.

Payment of the fee provides you with an aggregate allowance of 20kg across all pieces of hold baggage which may only be increased by payment of excess weight charges.
Where checked-in hold baggage exceeds 20kgs in weight (subject to the above rule), each passenger will pay an excess baggage charge per kg up to a passenger maximum of 50kgs
snow conditions
rayscoops, I think you are right there.

What I was querying was whether you would have 80Kg allowance between 4 when only 3 baggage fees were paid.
ski holidays
alex_heney, that one confused me too
Touchguru, as ever the baggage issues are clear as mud Very Happy
snow report
 brian
brian
alex_heney, rayscoops, it works like this, ignoring sports equipment for now:

- you have to pay a hold bag charge for every bag in the hold
- these can weigh up to 32kg each and (num passengers on booking * 20kg) in total
- every kg over (num passengers on booking * 20kg) costs £££££s

Adding sports equipment adds 12kg to the total and allows you to check in a large sports equipment bag or, in the case of skis, a ski bag + boot bag.
snow conditions
brian, Iteresting, I thought that if you did not pay for a hold bag you did not get the 20 Kg allowance .
ski holidays
Brain, adding Sports Equipment used to add 12kg but the wording has changed from last season as quoted by me above.
The last time I flew I argued my case for my snowboard bag of 18kg even though I had not paid for a separate hold bag
snow report
brianvery item of standard checked ('hold') baggage will incur a fee. The applicable online fee will be displayed at the time of booking baggage (whether during or after booking your flight). Alternatively, you may choose to pay a higher charge at the airport. You will be advised of this charge at the airport. Payment of the fee provides you with an aggregate allowance of 20kg across all pieces of hold baggage which may only be increased by payment of excess weight charges.

The maximum acceptable weight for each single piece of checked-in hold baggage is 32kg. Baggage which exceeds this weight will not be accepted for carriage.

Where checked-in hold baggage exceeds 20kgs in weight (subject to the above rule), each passenger will pay an excess baggage charge per kg up to a passenger maximum of 50kgs, as follows:

The above extract from Easyjet conditions clearly state that "Payment of the fee provides you with an aggregate allowance of 20Kg" ie if you dont pay a fee for hold baggage you dont get a 20Kg allowance.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
riverman wrote:
brian, Iteresting, I thought that if you did not pay for a hold bag you did not get the 20 Kg allowance .

Yep, that's why I said, "you have to pay a hold bag charge for every bag in the hold".

Here are some examples:

1. 2 passengers on booking, no hold bags paid for = no hold bags allowed.

2. 2 passengers on booking, 1 hold bag paid for = 1 hold bag up to 32 kg allowed.

3. 4 passengers, 2 hold bags paid for = 2 hold bags, each up to 32kg individually, no more than 64kg in total.

4. 4 passengers, 6 hold bags paid for = 6 hold bags, each up to 32kg individually, no more than 80 kg in total.
snow conditions
brian, Sorry did not read your post that way but on looking again I can see that it reads the same way I am viewing the conditions
snow conditions
 brian
brian
riverman, sorry I wasn't clearer. Embarassed
snow conditions
brian, Perhaps your table should have included the mix of bags and people thatTouchguru, described above which set this hare running.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy