Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Changes to SCGB Reps' Off-Piste Rules

Poster: A snowHead
Boredsurfing, it's f-all to do with me, but he's banned for life by all accounts. If you're getting board of surfing this thread, then simply stop. It's called willpower. A bit of willpower works as surely as a powdering of Permethrin in nanny's knicker.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PJSki wrote:
... he's banned for life by all accounts.

It's a suburban myth
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stoatsbrother wrote:
Boredsurfing, Nope - but I have offered to second his nomination to get back on council in the past - so he could get a democratic assessment of the validity of his views. Toofy Grin

But the last time he was on council I'm told he stomped out because he couldn't get his own way. So I think it would be a waste of time for the club to have him back.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 23-01-09 15:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldfish wrote:
PJSki wrote:
... he's banned for life by all accounts.

It's a suburban myth

Ok, so how long then?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PJSki wrote:
I'm told he stomped out because he could get his own way.

No, that was Michael Heseltine. What you've been told is incorrect.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PJSki,
Quote:

If you're getting board of surfing this thread

Sadly, I am amused by the antics of the SCGB members on here Toofy Grin
Particularly as they have their cosy corner on here and dont even use it Laughing

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewforum.php?f=14

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 23-01-09 15:30; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Goldfish wrote:
PJSki wrote:
I'm told he stomped out because he could get his own way.

No, that was Michael Heseltine. What you've been told is incorrect.

No it's not. You had a tantrum and stormed out. You then resigned by letter. And all because you couldn't get your own way. Pathetic but typical of you, I'm told.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PJSki wrote:

No it's not. You had a tantrum and stormed out. You then resigned by letter.

None of that is true. We are talking about events which took place something like 15-20 years ago. It's so long ago that I can't remember the year. It is all minuted. Obviously I wrote to the then Chairman of the Club, confirming my decision and the reasons for it. That letter is confidential.

There's an old wisdom applying to the internet, which is not to post anything that you wouldn't say to someone's face. I've invited you for a drink on several occasions, affording you the opportunity to behave like a civilised member of the human race. So let's go ahead with it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Children, Children... play nicely please.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Goldsmith, IFIRC PJSki, has mentioned he is in Val d'espair for the WC perhaps you could go skiing with him Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Goldsmith, I could - and would - say anything I wanted to your face and there would nothing you could do about it, except have a tantrum and storm off.

EDIT: sorry, getting carried away there.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 23-01-09 16:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boredsurfing wrote:
... PJSki has mentioned he is in Val d'espair for the WC ...

I'd have to think about meeting him in a WC, but stranger things have happened in my life.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Boredsurfing wrote:
........Sadly, I am amused by the antics of the SCGB members on here ......

The antics of ex members are no laughing matter.

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PJSki wrote:
David Goldfish, I could - and would - say anything I wanted to your face ...

Coming from someone who's locked themselves in a bank vault with a paper bag over their head, that's a surprising assertion.

I'm in town on 25 Jan, 27 Jan, 31 Jan and 1 Feb. How about putting up?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David Goldsmith, I'm not making a special trip to London - or anywhere else - for date with you, ever! If you didn't shoot your mouth off all the time and talk a load of tosh, then you wouldn't get the criticism you do. Try being fair, open minded and honest, then you'll find you'll get along with people much better.
snow conditions
I'm sure a local representative could meet you on my behalf. Whereabouts in the country are you?
snow report
David Goldsmith, Ok, let's say he agrees. How will you verify that the person in front of you is PJSki? Is there a birth mark? A secret sign? This isn't going to be easy. Also, as far as I remember, he claims to be some kind of special agent or international man of mystery.
snow report
Well I assume he's got a club tie, for a start.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, special agent or international man of mystery.

I like that, thanks. Razz
ski holidays
Good. I'm sure Swiller would like to join us. He's a man who enjoys a bevvy, hence his name.
latest report
David Goldfish wrote:
Well I assume he's got a club tie, for a start.

Surely a 'respect the mountain' wrist band is more enviromentally friendly wink

36 pages of absolute 'Tosh' and still going strong. Keep it up boys rolling eyes
snow report
stewart woodward wrote:

Surely

I forgot to mention, stewart. I'd be grateful if you didn't call me Shirley

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 23-01-09 19:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
David Goldfish wrote:
I'm sure Swiller would like to join us. He's a man who enjoys a bevvy...
Slanderous. What if my mum reads this? I'll see you in court.
snow report
stewart woodward, if he wants a wristband he'd better hurry... they've only got several million left in stock. Save the planet, buy a plastic wristband made by an 8 year old Chinese kid.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller,

I find this 'Green Policy' from the SCGB s rather amusing
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/respectthemountain/environment/resorts.asp

I wonder how a lecture from the SCGB was received by the French Confused
snow report
stewart woodward, it is a bit pompous -

Quote:
To help resorts analyse their practices and offer guidance on how to become greener we have produced a best practice guide for resorts

Hey ho.
snow report
stewart woodward, you seem to be suffering from a lack of research. Not to worry, you're in good company. If you had bothered to delve deeper into this issue, rather than shooting from the groin, you would have read this:

Quote:
In our search to discover what individual resorts are doing to help minimise their impact on the environment, we often found the information hard to come by with a few worthy exceptions. And although it is difficult to compare the efforts of individual ski areas when there are so many different ways to make a difference, we have tried to find common ground for comparison. If you think a resort has been over-rated, or under-rated, we encourage you to get in touch.

At least they seem to be trying. This endeavour actually seems praiseworthy. You might even feel moved to 'get in touch' if you think you know better.
ski holidays
PJSki wrote:
stewart woodward, you seem to be suffering from a lack of research. Not to worry, you're in good company. If you had bothered to delve deeper into this issue, rather than shooting from the groin, you would have read this:

Quote:
In our search to discover what individual resorts are doing to help minimise their impact on the environment, we often found the information hard to come by with a few worthy exceptions. And although it is difficult to compare the efforts of individual ski areas when there are so many different ways to make a difference, we have tried to find common ground for comparison. If you think a resort has been over-rated, or under-rated, we encourage you to get in touch.

At least they seem to be trying. This endeavour actually seems praiseworthy. You might even feel moved to 'get in touch' if you think you know better.

Didn't realise i had to do extra research before posting an article direct from the SCGB web site.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PJSki wrote:
stewart woodward, you seem to be suffering from a lack of research.

He may well be suffering from something else - the same thing I'm suffering from. Anonymous unfair attacks from a poster who is almost certainly Tim Brown's sock puppet, who has a cold and ruthless approach to personal abuse on an internet forum.

The interesting thing is that both Stewart Woodward (one assumes) and I both post under real names, but you don't.

How about that drinky? It could ease your own suffering to 'come out'.
latest report
PJSki,

I have done a little research on the SCGB website, prior to posting this question, so hopefully i will not get too much abuse wink

Which British ski areas have SCGB guides Puzzled Do they guide in Britain or are they exclusive to foreign shores Puzzled
snow report
stewart woodward, as there are no SCGB guides (unless you mean those who operate under contract to the SCGB from time to time) the answer must be none. If you mean reps, the answer is also none. OTOH, as you say you have researched the Club site, you will be aware of that - so presumably you don't mean reps either? So what do you mean?
latest report
achilles, your usual pedantics.

stewart woodward's questions are obviously rhetorical and cheeky, but he touches on a critical historical point: what happened in the early 1960s, and in the years since, between Scottish skiers and their national ski club? The SCGB is historically rooted in Scottish skiing (you only have to study the early yearbooks and journals), but something split it from its popular northern base in the ensuing decades.

Perhaps a similar factor which split it from everyday internet-chatting skiers in 2004?

Communications from the grass-roots upwards (or even a good snowbase upwards) are important.
latest report
On a related point, I saw these comments from two Scottish skiers on the Winterhighland forum on Sunday evening:

gunni wrote:
Just noticed on the ski club snow reports that Cairngorm has a whopping base of 15cm on the lower slopes and 20cm on the upper slopes! Surely a bit more than that up top? In fact they have all 5 ski areas as having the same depth of snow...

Jamie wrote:
That's because they make up the depths It's especially inaccurate if you consider that Scottish skiing takes place on drifted snow - you can have a massive depth in some places and almost nothing elsewhere. The depth in some locations on mountains in the West is probably in excess of 20ft just now, let alone 20cm"

Obviously, I sincerely hope we don't "make up the depths" and that they come from authoritative sources. At the time the SCGB was, indeed, reporting identical snow depths for all five areas - Cairngorm, The Lecht, Glencoe, Glenshee and Nevis Range - at 15cm on lower slopes, 20cm on upper slopes. But, it has to be stated, these figures are updated only on weekdays by lunchtime. The figures therefore hadn't been updated since Friday. These are the current SCGB figures:

Quote:
Cairngorm 15cm, 20cm. Glencoe 15cm, 25cm. Glenshee 15cm, 20cm. The Lecht Ski 15cm, 25cm. Nevis Range 15cm, 30cm.

Source: here

I assume that the SCGB Scottish figures are given in this way to standardise the format with the Alps and elsewhere, but it would be interesting to know who takes the measurements? The Ski-Scotland website gives no snow depths, possibly because of the great degree of variation of cover and drifting:

http://ski.visitscotland.com/conditions/

Are there any Scottish-based websites which give snow depths in cm?

Having spent months on Cairngorm, I can confirm that one minute you can be on 5 metres of snow, and - within seconds - be scraping your soles on a bare patch. Generally speaking, when skiing in Scotland, you'll have a substantial base of snow under your skis because it's mostly based on corrie (gully) skiing with drifted-in snow that gets very deep after the types of storms we've seen in the past week.
snow conditions
This thread was supposed to be about changes to reps off piste rules.
snow report
achilles linked to this thread from the "My German Grandparents" thread and, stupidly and without knowing what the link arrived at, I hit the link and had another read of all this glorious tosh and piffle (some of it mine). Can't believe its nearly a year since anyone had anything more to say. Wonder if that new poster Ernst Goldsmith has anything pithy to add.

By the way all... you have achilles to thank for this resurrection Toofy Grin
snow report
Bode Swiller, Oh god... Just viewed the last few pages again

a reminder of the futility of discussion... Embarassed
ski holidays
Nothing to add, sorry.

richjp wrote:
This thread was supposed to be about changes to reps off piste rules.

That seems an appropriate footnote. These threads drift like snow.
latest report
Bode Swiller, happy to add to your entertainment. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
I don't think he does it for entertainment. He's an eminent historian and chronicler (chronic)
snow report
The rules change and hence this thread were triggered by a fatal accident in Verbier. The Swiss authorities were investigating, and there appeared to be a possibility of criminal prosecution. The accident took place in 2006 - so time for events to have run their course. Does anybody know if the Swiss did decide there was a case to answer, and if so, what the outcome was? This is not just relevant to the SCGB - it affects all of those of us who may go off-piste in a group without a guide/appropriately qualified ski instructor.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy