Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where would you spend your cash?

Poster: A snowHead
There's been lots of interesting discussion lately about low and high end gear. It put me to thinking about an issue that we didn't address directly.

Given the choice and a limited budget would you buy the high end of a cheaper brand or the low end of an expensive brand (assuming both could be bought for a similar amount).

Personally I would buy the high end of a cheaper brand, unless we are talking shoes, tomato ketchup, or cornflakes!! But for cars, tecnnical gear etc. I think there is more value in the high end of the cheaper brand.

What about the rest of you?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't pay a lot of attention to brands. Buy what fits you/what you like/what's comfortable/in a colour you fancy etc. etc.

Branding is for suckers.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Are we talking about ski gear?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
abc, no, knitting patterns.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
abc, When I initially thought about it ski gear was in my mind, but then I realised that the same question applies to other things, for example cars, and even foods etc. Play it as you wish.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Most ski manufacturer's, irrespective of market position, tend to have too many skis in a range(s), & whose performance overlap somewhat. With so many manufacturers in the market there's an oversupply of skis, especially in a bad trading season like we've just had.

Each manufacturer also tends to have some duffers in the range (ie, they under perform for cost/design function) & some gems (ie, they over perform for cost/design function). The trick is being able to avoid the duffers & spot the gems as they give best value for money.

One of the problems with some of the end of season bargains is that they're being sold off as nobody bought them, ie the duffers. These models tend to get dropped or radically changed after just one season. The better performers tend to remain virtually unchanged (apart from graphics) for a few seasons & tend to hold their price as they're often sold out before the season ends. These are the gems if you can get a deal on them - & they become real bargains when the manufacturer eventually introduces a completely new replacement model & any remaining old 'un's get sold off real cheap.

The trick is not rush in to a purchase but to do your homework/testing in advance & then sit & wait for the deal to come along.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, My decision would be based on quality and value for money, not brands, although many of the "top brands" tend to use the top fabrics.

I currently ski wearing Columbia jacket which I received free with my car (the car I purchased because of reliability and value for money). I bought a pair of matching salopettes in the sales, so ended up with a new ski suit that only cost £50 (or £21k if you include the car) Toofy Grin

snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

ended up with a new ski suit that only cost £50 (or £21k if you include the car)
Laughing Laughing Laughing Bargain!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Now that we have broaden our topic to include non-ski gears, things get totally out of hands.

First of all, not all "gear" has brand differentials. In other words, what's the "top" brand in binding? And what's a "cheap" brand for poles?

On gears that has brand differentials, such as cars. I think the best value is actually the middle of the brand. So I would pick a brand that's the quality I'm after and price I can afford. And find the functionality in the middle of the brand. I think the bottom of a high end brand tend to still be over-price and the top of low end brand often still under-quality, another form of over-price.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Buy good quality used so you get more for your money and let the original owner take the real financial hit.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
abc wrote:
Are we talking about ski gear?

Yes.

Insist on Kelloggs Ketchup.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
Given the choice and a limited budget would you buy the high end of a cheaper brand or the low end of an expensive brand (assuming both could be bought for a similar amount).

I recall reading an article by a washing machine engineer, so there may be some relevance or none at all, but his advice was to look at the base model in each manufacturer's range because the more expensive machines in the range are all made from the same parts as the base model, the only differences being more bells/whistles/flashing lights/faster spin speed. Basically, the dearer models within any range were not made from better quality materials to justify their heftier price tag. So never fall into the trap of "it's ACME's £600 washing machine so they must have used a gold-plated diamond-encrusted drum" when in actual fact it is simply ACME's £250 model with an extra button. He stated to always go for a quality brand that uses quality materials first. As I said, this refers to electrical consumer goods, but there are parallels.

Personally, I would tend to go for quality rather than bargain. Although, when the two are combined - it's an irresistable combination. Wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The washing machine example also applies pretty well to cars. It's generally better to have a high quality base model than a low quality bells and whistles model. The base model of the higher quality brand will benefit from all the same research, design, development and quality control as the top-of-the-range model. There are a few exceptions, particularly where a manufacturer has several brands using a common base design eg Audi A3 / VW Golf / Seat Leon. In this example there is considerable overlap between the ranges.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All quite interetsing but what are you paying for in a higher "quality" product? In a basic consumer good say a packet of biscuits or washing powder a lot of what you are paying for is the advertising and "brand" building. Hence the proliferation of own-brand copies in supermarkets as supermarkets make essentially the same product, sell it at a slightly lower price but make bigger margin.

In skis I'd say brands like Salomon have the greatest punter recognition hrough advertising, sponsorship and channel penetration (= stocked in lots of shops). However ask someone getting in 100+ days skiing a year and most wouldn't recommend them as a durable, quality product (I believe they may have been addressing in reintroducing wood construction recently). So are you really getting the quality you think? With snowboard gear I've had direct experience of Burton quality being poor & they are in a similar position to salomon in their market.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For hardware, I'm not really sure what constitutes a "high-end" brand. All the well known ski manufacturers produce a pretty broad range of kit at different price ranges. Generally the more expensive stuff is aimed at better skiers (eg race stock skis, high DIN bindings etc) so maybe that's an indicator of where you ought to go.

For clothing, you need to ask yourself how good the kit really needs to be. If you want to spend £400 on a jacket, fine. But you absolutely do not need to. The ski jacket I have had the most use out of was about £60. It's a Mountain Equipment pac-light thing (bought in a sale - RRP=£80ish). It's still wearable after 100s of days' use but I got bored of it and have replaced it. I suppose it counts as bottom end of a high end kit manufacturer's range but it's as much about knowing what you need (and what you don't need) as anything else
latest report
thewahwah, hmmmm, washing machines difficult - some expensive brands come out of the same factory in Germany as some inexpensive brands. The expensive brand is perceived as being higher quality despite using same parts and manufacturing technique as the cheaper brands. Sort of Seat and VW springs to mind as well.
ski holidays
petemillis wrote:
Sort of Seat and VW springs to mind as well.

I know what you mean, but I recently test drove a Seat Leon v VW Golf. The Golf was considerably better overall, despite having less standard equipment. Main differences were interior quality and ride quality. Despite sharing the same floor pan and engine, they felt like quite different cars. Like most things, you basically get what you pay for.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy