Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

alps by train - how much?

Poster: A snowHead
If there are details on another thread could someone direct me please. I dont have a specific date in mind yet - just researching how easy it is to do the train to get to Bourg St Maurice and how much it might cost; how to book; what time options work etc.

Eurostar direct ski train is £250 return. Ouch Sad

Or.. Eurostar to Paris seems to be minimum £60 ish return and then SNCF. Think I was on the right site and the price options and route variations seem complicated - but could do the journey I want for around 160 euros return I think - so London Paris then Paris to Bourg st Maurice might be minimum of say around £170 return. Does this sound about right? Of course then I need to look at day time versus sleeper options and where to change.

All seems horribly expensive and complicated Confused compared to Sleazyjet (probably around £70 maximum return) and hire a car.... But would love to become a bit less of a contributor to global warming.

Am I missing the magic something???? Any advice from those who understand the rail option would be welcome thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hello jayne durham,

The Eurostar prices direct vary - sometimes I think it is as low as £99 if you get lucky. I think we have paid £199 return each in March but to me it is well worth it to avoid the hassles of airports / long transfers etc. Helps if you can get into Waterloo easily too which I can from Haute Surrey.

I think the best site for researching European train journeys is the German railways DB - do a google for it - I think it lets you plan journeys in English - other snowHead s may know more....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jayne durham, £199 leaving tommorrow night, 30 minute check in no baggage limits or extra cost for skis. no bun fight in stansted or geneva car hire queues . 20 minutes from Moutier to meribel in a pre booked cab ahhhhh bliss.....................

at term times i think is cheaper than fly / car hire in off season maybe a bit more but count all the costs (car hire, ski baggage costs, car parking at airport etc).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The estar direct prices are heinous but doing it with the change isn't so bad. I did this for 12 people last week - £145 each (eurostar and sncf combined, first class on return journey). Once you factor in the transport to/from the airports at both ends the train comes in pretty close to airfare and much nicer experience (Taxi transfer from bourg to les arcs E10 per head, taxi from lyon to les arcs E50 per head. Taxi/parking ~20 per person to stansted, jubilee line to waterloo £1.50!)

HTH,

aj xx
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What's the difference between 1st and 2nd class on the TGV (from Paris to BSM)? The TGV website only has that info in French and I'm not bright enough to figure it out ?

More comfort ? Included meals / drinks ? anything else ?
ta.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have just got back from BSM, and we did it for £110 return (with a change in Paris)

I have also just booked a second trip (going EASTER week!) for £105 return to Moutiers. We are going on the sleeper from Austerlitz rather than the snow train from Gare De Lyon, but prices & travel times are the same...

I know that "1st Class" in the sleeper train means that there are 4 beds in a couchette rather than 6.

Chris,
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hezza, the sleeper sounds cool, where is Austerlitz ?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret, just across the Seine from the Gare de Lyon I think, on the left bank. My 15 and 16yr old found it easily enough.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm thinking of travelling to Kitzbuhel en famille next season by train - Eurostar to Brussels, sleeper to Kitzbuhel courtesy of the Bergland Express. Considerably more expensive than the 'plane, but pleasanter, greener and we have 2 extra days skiing.

Any one used this service (it goes to a number of Austrian and Italian resorts)?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Helen Beaumont, thanks, does anyone have any links for the sleeper service out of austerlitz to moutier?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimottaret wrote:
Helen Beaumont, thanks, does anyone have any links for the sleeper service out of austerlitz to moutier?

Paris Austerlitz services can be booked via raileurope...

One train runs to the tarentaise valley, stopping at Moutiers, Aime & Bourg SM - and another runs to Briancon (Serre Chavalier).

They also run every night, making it perfect for a long weekend snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hezza, very cool i will check into this snowHead Cool snowHead , great news they run every night as that is frustrating on the eurostar only having weekend service
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
masmith wrote:
What's the difference between 1st and 2nd class on the TGV (from Paris to BSM)? The TGV website only has that info in French and I'm not bright enough to figure it out ?

More comfort ? Included meals / drinks ? anything else ?
ta.

Bigger seats, nicer decor is about it, no food or anything. For the extra E6 I paid though it was well worth it, everyone was very pleased when we stepped on board.

aj xx
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ooo loadsa info thanx

ok Aj and Hezza it sounds as if I am not looking in the right place as your prices are much lower.... Which websites should I be looking on? Any chance of full details of your routes and times and who it was with just so I can get a feel for it (pm if easier)

And when I get on a website I'm not sure what I am asking....Do I want to change somewhere particular - I seemed to get Chambery and Aix coming up... - or do I just key in Paris and Bourg and it will do it for me

I iz so confused... Do I want SNCF or TGV - whats the difference??

Do you guys take advantage of deals where you have to get a particular train or do you get "flexible" tiokets. Surely I need to get flexible tickets if I have to make changes in case the trains are delayed??

This feels much more daunting/challenging than the steepest black run - which either means I am a trainophobe or my skiing is improving!! rolling eyes
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Certainly the Briancon one is OK. Kids got it last year to join us out in Serre Che.
ski holidays
jayne durham, The secret to get low prices is to book as soon as fares become available - I think 4 months before for eurostar now and 3 months for TGV - but it isn't exact calender months so you have to keep an eye on it. The TGV have 'Prem' fares - ie some very low fares for booking early - we got to Grenoble and back changing in Paris for about £110 each before Christmas - and they sometimes end up with 1st class cheaper than 2nd class as its like budget airlines - so many tickets at each price I think. If you book late it gets more expensive and can get extortionate - as you have spotted.
Crossing Paris you need to leave at least an hour but overall the journey isn't difficualt - and for us the best bit was coming back by train when fog was grounding planes! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I have always chosen a particular train...but give myself some extra time for the change incase of delays (which can be used at the bar next to the platform when the train is on schedule snowHead) . On my only trip so far, the train was bang on time in both directions.

1. on Raileurope, check the box for "Direct Trains Only" - this whittles out all of the many combinations of changes you can do rolling eyes

2. On the direct TGV service (which runs Fri & Sat only) you get a seat...but a disco carraige snowHead while on the SNCF (Corail) service, its simply a train full of beds.

3. I find the Raileurope website excellent, FYI...i only booked the tickets yesterday, for EASTER week (they have been out for over a month)

.....ok
We are leaving Waterloo on the 1709 Eurostar on Saturday 31st March £24.50, and getting the 2306 direct TGV (with disco carraige Very Happy) £19.00.

On the way back, leaving Moutiers at 2214 Sunday 8th (Easter Sunday) on the direct sleeper train to Austerlitz £30, changing onto the Eurostar - leaving Paris at 0807 on the 9th...arriving in London at 0951 £34.50

TOTAL: £108

8 full days skiing, same 7 days accommodation you have with flying. But keep it quiet-i dont think many people have found it yet wink

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 8-02-07 21:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I wouldn't worry about trains being delayed. The Eurostar staff will mark your tickets with a special code which, when presented to the guard on the TGV should ensure a safe passage even if your original ticket specified a particular train. Having said that, if you're getting the sleeper then that isn't too handy an option. Just give yourself a decent enough transfer time between Gare du nord and Lyon/Austerlitz (anything less than an hour is pushing your luck imho). At Gare de Lyon you can have dinner at the Train Blue bistro to kill a bit of time.

Then again, I was on the Eurostar a couple of years ago when the weather was snowy like today. The train ran late and there were so many Brits catching the sleeper from Gare de Lyon that the guard rang ahead and got them to hold the train ! No good for me though, as I was on the one from Austerlitz to St Gervais.....

And re. sleazyjet prices. I doubt you'll get a return to Geneva for less than the train. Then you've got the car hire. BSM (and the Tarantaise in general) is ideally suited as a train based destination.
snow conditions
Thanks everyone for all the bits of advice - will print the thread off so I dont lose it. Hezza that sounds like a really good price - much better than I found.
Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
jayne durham, SNCF is simply the French railways and their site is divided into sections for the different services they offer, TGV being one.
TGV is their high speed service: about 4hrs Paris(Gare de Lyons) -> Moutiers but is seats rather than beds.

The Corail service has Couchettes. 6 berth 2nd class and 4 berth 1st class. 1st is definitely more spacious and comfy and I find much easier to sleep in on the way down when I'm excited. (on the way back I could usually sleep standing on my head!)

The Eurostar arrives at Gare Du Nord. The sleeper trains go out from Gare d'Austerlitz. There are 9 stops on metro line5 between them.

The sleepers all leave at about 10:20 every evening with two each night at weekends. One gets into Moutiers about 6AM the other about 7AM.

The most common combo of trains is:
- take a Eurostar out of Waterloo on Friday eve at about 4pm (to allow time for Dinner in Paris) or 5PM; returning out of Paris at about 8 or 9AM on Sunday.
- Metro 1€70 each way (or 10 tickets for 10€)
- Sleeper out of Gare d'Austerlitz about 10:20PM arr 6/7AM returning ~10PM arr Paris 6:20 AM
- Bus or Cab to resort 20-50mins.

Book the Eurostar from their site (use a link from snowHeads when you do and we earn a small commission).
Book the French trains from the SNCF site (Here's a link set to the EoSB dates by default) or their (part owned) UK subsidiary Rail Europe
snow report
admin, excellent summary, thanks as i will look into the sleeper for future trips. i am on the new direct Eurostar service tonight ashford to moutier 7 1/2 hours and will report on trip.....
ski holidays
Thanks so much admin - thats really useful.
How long do the 9 stops on the metro take??

skimottaret - have a lovely time. I've done the direct eurostar before and thoroughly enjoyed it... At the moment just looking for cheaper/more flexible options

.....Took my smoked salmon and cream cheese bagel and a little bottle of wine on board.... Tucked up under the nice blanket they give you and slept and dozed until breakfast..... Dead easy.

I'm just trying to find cheaper and more flexible options.
snow conditions
Quote:

How long do the 9 stops on the metro take??
About 20-30mins I think - I'll try to remember to time it this evening Wink

As I said that's "The most common combo of trains" - kind of my 'default' trip. Obviously it's nice to vary it a little sometimes eg. Spend a day in Paris on the way there or back. Gregory and I are on the 17:09 out of Waterloo tonight so we wont exactly be taking the time to dine formally when we get to Gare d'Austerlitz but we'll probably grab a few bits of Sushi to take away on the way through.

btw. There's a left luggage office at Gare d'Austerlitz (there's not one at Gare du Nord) so it's quite easy to unburden oneself and go off for dinner (or the day).
There's a good selection of eateries across the road too - but there's one really nice little restaurant if you head towards MacDonalds, go past it and round the corner: very easy to miss that one Wink
latest report
admin, boys say the Austerlitz station buffet isn;t too bad either.
latest report
If train travel was reasonably priced and easy to arrange I would be prepared to take a David Goldsmith approach and use it regularly for ski trips.

I have only once used Eurostar by day to BSM. It was a great trip but I could have crossed the Atlantic for the same money. Furthermore, when Eurostar moves from Waterloo it will not be so convenient for me. I am not keen to lug all the baggage on to the Tube or the Paris Metro. Transfers to resort in Austria, Switzerland by rail are great but I still fly to get to the country in the first place.

Coming back last week I noticed there is a train from Berne to Brussells. Finding out the details from the net is very difficult though. I know the individual country rail sites but trying to get details on particular trains that cross borders is more of a challenge.
snow conditions
I just did Bourg and back for about £150 very late notice, but found the Raileurope website impenetrable. Much easier to ring up and speak to someone. I travelled down in the day and back by sleeper an enjoyed the leisurely pace of both. I found I got to resort much less harrassed than going by air.
snow report
How much of a hassle is it to do the metro across Paris with skis/snowboard?
snow report
hd, it's doable but it's not fun
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Latchigo, I've found the Swiss rail website fairly good for any journeys that start/end in Switzerland, and not too bad for ones that don't!!
ski holidays
D G Orf, So I assume that the people on this thread considering the cross-Paris train option are all hire-kit-in-resort types?

I have thought about taking the train to the Alps but the idea of doing the equivalent of (say) Waterloo to Kings Cross on the tube with 25kg of baggage has always put me off.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 9-02-07 16:04; edited 1 time in total
latest report
hd,the Paris Metro is much easier than tube travel though.

Latchigo, once they move to the new terminal, I might consider a journey by train as possible.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Latchigo, the German site is the best one (I think) for knowing about any European journey.

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en
latest report
There was a left luggage at GdN in August -- on the RHS of the concourse as you arrive.
snow report
Talking to myself... now I think of it, all I saw (and used) at GdN was lockers of which the biggest, though big, wouldn't get anything larger than snowblades in.
ski holidays
hd, it's just one rer stop to gare du lyon (from gare du nord) so not too much hassle with bags. That said it is far easier without as there are a number of escalators and stairs and boards/skis don't fit in the luggage racks etc etc.
snow conditions
Jayne, there is a travel agency who specialise in this: http://www.rail-canterbury.co.uk who will get you the best deals without spending all night pondering around the eurostar or Rail europe websites.
Rob@Rar put me on to them, and I have been very satisifed with their service this season: All following are changes in Paris: £120 return Waterloo - BSM in Jan (coming back midweek) , £156 return (including 1st class one way) for a return trip just before Easter, over Easter slightly more expensive at £196 ( inc. 1st class one way)

Note these are day time travel (small Children) but we will probably do the couchettes from Austerlitz next year. Not sure if there is an the easy way to get fom Gare du Nord to Austerlitz, but to Gare du Lyon is just two stops on the RER, and very straightforward.

Ask for Jacky
snow report
Thanks Jim - actually Rob pm'd me about rail canterbury - will give them a go.
ski holidays
Is it Possible to train it from Birmingham to Wengen without the journey taking half a week and zillions of ££'s
ski holidays
http://www.ratp.info/orienter/cv/carteparis.php

Link will let you plan your route across Paris.
snow report
anyone know if you can take dogs on the trains in france, we have a chance to visit some friends in annecy and to get some skiing in at the same time, but would like to take whole family including our border terrier cassie (she love the snow), the OH really fancies the train trip
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy