Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kitzbuehel - BIG change of programme

Poster: A snowHead
Downhill and Super-G cancelled, double slalom instead.... Saturday SL to replace the one from Wengen.

No more speed events before the World Champs - See you all there!

JCJC
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Seems like the plan to bring snow in by lorry was a bit too hopeful. Maybe Val d'Isere should be asked to run another downhill...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
....or maybe they should just call up Beaver Creek, Vail or Whistler and ask them to hold a DH. They all have the facilities in place, and could be ready to go within a day or two.

Seriously: why is the FIS wasting tens of thousands of Euros on airlifting snow to try and salvage the "prestige races" at a loss (and often with questionable safety on the piste), when they could hold the races in North America where there would also be a slight revenue loss, but a top-notch race in terms of piste quality and safety? It boggles the mind that the FIS is being so boorish and foolhardy.

(And now the weather prognosticators are forecasting a string of sub-zero days in the next week - so the snow cannons could be used at Kitz. Of course, knowing the accuracy of weather forecasts in the Alps this season...)

So there will be no speed events for the men until Åre - what a shame.

The FIS continues to shoot itself in the foot.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
songfta, Ithink you will find that the weather forcasting has been correct, its the weather that has been bad not the forecasting.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jcjc, thats a bit of a pisser, i'm getting bored of slalom..... are you at schaldming next week, i won't make it out this year but Jas and the guys from Atomic will be there in force as usual
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
songfta,

It's much more than a slight loss of profit. It costs a lot to stage a ski event (ca half a million) and even thought parts of the states have the snow this year, America's interest in skiing just isn't there. It was supposed to snow and not rain late last week - that's what killed it.

Two Slaloms in Kitz will make more than a full program of races in the USA.

The real reason is we like seeing Bode fall over so we put on a couple of Slaloms Wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
songfta, they were asked to host more races earlier in the season, but apparently couldn't find the funding. perhaps the american public don't go to watch the best skiers in the world? The crowds never look to be as big as most european events.

CEM, I can never get enough slalom - bring it on - much more fun that boring downhill!!!

DB, Laughing Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski, don't get me wrong, i love slalom, just need a bit of a mixture Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski, I understand that Beaver Creek, Vail and Copper Mountain were asked to hold races, and that finding funding with less than a week's notice was tough. But they were willing to hold the races without all of the sponsor money, simply for the benefit of the sport. And yet the FIS turned them down.

But the funding angle is a weak argument right now, given that venues like Wengen, Kitzbühel, Cortina and others are going into debt over extreme measures taken to airlift snow onto non-frozen slopes, only to have the monsoons wash and blow it all away. It's not a really good PR piece when the backdrop of the venue is mud and grass, isn't it? So they're spending tens of thousands of Euros to possibly break even, if that.

The slaloms at Kitz will only make money because the organizers scrapped the snow lift plans. Had they actually followed through to run the DH and SG, I think they'd be in the red for the event.

And the crowds aren't as big for the U.S. races for myriad reasons (e.g. the finish line at Beaver Creek is not at the base of the resort, folks want to ski rather than watch, etc.), but that really shouldn't enter into the equation. The U.S. and Canadian resorts are willing to hold the events, they have the snow, and the slopes can be ready to roll in less than a week. Yes it would be a logistical challenge to house the full White Circus, but it's not impossible.

Given that there's now at least a fortnight until the next scheduled speed event for the men, it would make sense to have the speedsters go to Beaver Creek or Whistler. That's just my opinion, but I think that the FIS needs to open itself up to such options if they wish to remain a viable entity that promotes the sport.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Trying to change a race calendar like the World Cup Tour by even a day here or there is a huge task for everyone involved never mind try to shift the whole thing across the Atlantic. I imagine that not one of the teams would have enough slack in their budgets at this time of year to eve afford the airfares alone...... So although there is snow in North America it's fantasy to imagine the tour takin such a big shift. Most of the speed racers will probably be gladof a rest before teh Worlds, the calendar was pretty packed already, the real headache will come for teh selectors, remember only 4 per nation plus the defending champ in each discipline....... tricky for errr the Austrians? French? Le Suisses.....

Two slaloms at Kitz will be a great spectacle, if any of you have been there I'm sure you'll agree, the guys race on a little sh1tbag of a cowfield that no-one intheirright mind would ever bother going skiing on and the crowds will be almost as big as usual. The race finishes just a short stagger from the town centre and train station so it's almost guaranteed to be a success.

Garmisch will likely run the speed events from Kitz., in late Feb., as part of their preparations for hosting the World Championships in 2011.

Ach ja....... ve hav ze solution............
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
songfta, No need for me to reply jcjc, said it much better than I could.

The idea of swapping Kitzbuhel for Garmish sounds fair - one really scary course for another really scary course! Shocked

CEM, If the fastest they ever went was super G that would be fine by me - hate the crashes, and the way they get shown again and again. I go cold every time someone skis into the nets ... I get sympathetic bruises .... Only problem is that we'll have to wait until Tuesday to record Nick's programme to see them both. Sad I'm hoping that as a good ex slalomer himself his coverage will be HUGE Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jcjc wrote:
the guys race on a little sh1tbag of a cowfield that no-one intheirright mind would ever bother going skiing on

Oi...I skied that last year! What you sayin??? wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Elizabeth B

I admire your sense of adventure and derring do..... It's not exactly a nice cruise of a run is it?

good on you tho' how many other snowheads have skied World Cup courses?

This'll bring the real ski anoraks outof the woodwork!

JC
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Since you asked....

I've run the Grizzly Downhill course at Snowbasin, when it was being tested pre-World Cup in 2000-2001. It was a fun course, to say the least! The air-time was fierce, and the course never really let you rest. It's too bad that Earl Holding (owner of Snowbasin) decommissioned the course after the Olympics: it could've been one of the classics.

I've raced on Willy's Run and Payday at Park City Mountain Resort, where they used to run World Cup races. And I've trained on CB's Run at Park City Mountain Resort, where they held the 2002 Olympic GS. Both Willy's and CB's are steep GS hills at the top that ease up on the lower third of the run. The steep on Willy's was longer, whereas the fall-away factor on CB's was greater.

I've raced on runs that used to host World Cup races at:

- Sun Valley, Idaho
- Jackson Hole (Teton Village), Wyoming
- Stratton, Vermont

I've also raced slalom on Know You Don't and Big Stick runs at Deer Valley, both of which were used in the 2002 Olympics.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jcjc, you should know how many i have slid down by now....mind you standing under the chair drinking whisky from a hip flask on nevis range makes for the best run of the day wink wink
snow conditions
I skied the Lauberhorn Downhill in Wengen last week - mainly because having spent silly money making it skiable for the race the previous weekend, it was the only run in the resort worth doing before the snow arrived this week Sad

I was skiing it on slalom skis though which explains why my time was a little bit off the frontrunners' (by about 10 minutes rolling eyes )
ski holidays
I've skied La Verte in Les Houches (Men's downhill) and Cote2000 (Womens's downhill Megeve), both done a couple of times including top-bottom without stopping or falling (But not quite at race pace)

Would recommend any of these to anybody, both very fun to ski, the first jump at Les Houches is a bit unnerving when you arrive at it !
snow report
jcjc, See what you've started? wink Does stamping the Lauerberhorn course count? Very Happy
snow report
Of course it does Charlotte!

I thought there would have been an avalanche (ouch) of snowheads who had given ValdeDoodaah a bloody good thrashing..... I have to admit I never ever expected to hear about the likes of Willys and Payday again, well done songfta!

Admin, makes you realise what the guys are doing on a course like the Lauberhorn, I have to stop for a rest just skiing normally, and yes, 10minutes behibnd the race time is oretty good and I'm sure you didn't splatter yourself in the finish area like Bode..

Anyone know much about Are in Sweden?
snow report
I've skied Wengen and Kitzbuhel downhill and slalom runs.....albeit much slower than they do on TV!!
ski holidays
jcjc wrote:
Elizabeth B

I admire your sense of adventure and derring do..... It's not exactly a nice cruise of a run is it?

good on you tho' how many other snowheads have skied World Cup courses?

This'll bring the real ski anoraks outof the woodwork!

JC

I have skiied the Slalom and GS courses at Schladming, during the week after the events were held, so the pistes were still "hardened", although no gates in place.

When it is only your third ski trip ever, the bottom section of that slalom course is scary steep.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 5-02-07 18:13; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I've skied the Wengen slalom slope, but it was in hip deep powder - not quite the same thing - bl**dy steep!! Shocked I actually did a downhill on a bit of the Lauerberhorn course when I was 14, but it had lots more turns in it! I have schussed the finish schuss too, but I was stationary at the top, so it doesn't really count! Toofy Grin

jcjc One of the nicest things about Snowheads is that most of them are not the "wham bam" skiers we all know and despise. Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy