Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz / Morzine / Les Gets / Chatel - 2007/8

Poster: A snowHead
This is a good website if you are interested in weather, you can really have a hands on look at whats coming our way.
http://www.eumetsat.int/Home/Main/Image_Gallery/Real-time_Images/index.htm
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Blue skies and warm today. Forecast is for warmer tomorrow and then "hot" on Wednesday. Hmmmm.

We spent most of today on the Coupe du Monde doing short turns. Lovely, grippy snow. That and the old Avoriaz nursery slope. Again. Just call me the Plough King... rolling eyes

crasher wrote:
Thanks for the kind words phil

Not at all. You deserve them.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Went to Morzine today - was very icey in the morning, was just getting nice and grippy before lunch - stopped for lunch and it seemed that the snow magically turned into a water/glue mix. Lovely. Very very hot, snow line looking a bit dodgy - had to walk from the bridge of death to the lift to get back into Morzine from Les Gets. Will be sticking to Avoriaz again methinks!

Out of interest, is there a route back from outside Morzine back to it that doesn't involve that awful bridge? I've not found it yet...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
toiletduckuk, If you are referring to the passarelle at the Fys Chair, yes, but only via the chair from the far end of the Chavannes plateau back to the top of Pleney. A right slow traverse if the snow's sticky.

It is not unusual to have to walk across that particular section at this time of year...

Why did you stop for lunch? Had you not read the weather forecast Puzzled
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Skied this afternoon. A couple of Combe de Machons, fantastic snow, a quick Arete des Intrets, ditto, and a Crozats to finish. Really very very nice. Snow at the top in the shade is very fresh feeling and grippy, a little icy in the middle and great slush towards the bottom. A few rocks to dodge towards Prodains. Great spring skiing conditions.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
First full days skiing in ages - and rated as a good one.

Spent morning in Avoriaz with my daughters school - keeping up with the local 7yr olds can be a bit of a challenge especially in the snowcross under Fornets!

Then over to Chatel and Linga to meet up with hubbie - the snow was fabulous and the slopes were quiet. Went to have a look at Super Chatel in the afternoon - bit slushy but more open than I thought and you can link to the top of Torgon.

Weather looks interesting for next week! Might even get to use the snowblower for only the 3rd time this season!!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
toiletduckuk, We had an interesting pile up on that bridge.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We short-turned our way all over the Plaine Dranse / Linga sector today. As snowandtrek says, the snow was generally fab and showing little sign of wear - although we didn't drop below the top of the Linga bubble.

The top of Renard was particularly enjoyable - although we weren't allowed down the bottom half as the run was closed ("not in my jacket folks" as the trainer said).

And then. Yep. Snowploughs on the Avoriaz nursery slopes. My cup runneth over wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PhillipStanton, ""not in my jacket folks""...

Why couldn't she/he turn it inside out? Wimp Twisted Evil (Unless it was Bex in which case please don't tell her I wrote that, please).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Murdoch wrote:
Unless it was Bex in which case please don't tell her I wrote that, please...

It wasn't. But I'll send her 'round anyway. That'll learn you Eh oh!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A beautiful day today - clear blue skies and warm, but not too warm.

We were working on high-speed carving for most of the morning - initially on ProClou and then on the run down from Linderats to Ardent. Great snow - although by 13:00 the run down to Ardent had started to bump up. After lunch we headed up to Fornet with the intention of doing more carving - but the runs were all too crowded and just a little too bumpy - so we had to hit the off-piste and bumps.

The bumps were absolutely fabulous - covered with grippy snow, with the odd patch of ice to add a little "spice" Twisted Evil

Things are holding up well - although the link run over from Super Morzine is starting to show signs of wear and, if you know where to look, there's the initial signs of deterioration around Linderats. But snow's forecast for Sunday, which should top things up.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PhillipStanton, thanks for the continuing reports, I can't wait to get out there next week, especially if there's been new snow Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stevew wrote:
PhillipStanton, thanks for the continuing reports...

You're welcome.

I hope you enjoy your trip.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another lovely day with clear blue skies and great snow - although below 1600m the snow didn't re-freeze fully overnight and is suffering a little. The pisteurs have started harvesting snow to bolster the Super Morzine to Avoriaz link runs.

We did a circuit through Avoriaz; up and down Fornet a couple of times; down the Swiss Wall (still great snow and the entry's still not too bad); several runs hooooooooning down next to the T bar / button lift combo (can't be bothered to dig out the lift map, sorry); over to Les Crozets for a few runs and then over Mossettes; back to Brocheaux and home.

A very tiring day as we did everything either at break-neck speed or using small, fast short turns. I'm off now for a quick nap...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
(Yet) Another lovely day with (yet more) clear blue skies and (yet more) great snow - although, again, below 1600m the snow didn't re-freeze fully and is now suffering a lot in places. The pisteurs continue to harvest snow - although our group are speculating whether the bottom of Tetras will survive the weekend.

It was the last day of our BASI course today - with a later start and early finish, so we didn't do a lot - a few high speed runs down to Ardent (still in very good condition) and some gentle free-style stuff on the baby jumps and in the baby pipe. I'm absolutely rubbish at both jumping (well, actually, it's the landing I have problems with wink ) and the pipe. But what the heck, it was a good laugh.

We're taking the weekend off to recover from the hangover.
latest report
Thanks PhillipStanton, your reports are greatly appreciated. I'm out there next Wednesday, so hopefully the fore-casted snow will make a difference.

snowHead
latest report
Lunch at Pointe de Nyon.

Kir Royale; souris d'agneau; demi de Crozes Hermitage; creme caramel

Who cares what the snow is like wink
snow conditions
PhillipStanton wrote:

Who cares what the snow is like wink

For those who do NehNeh - it's slushy and getting worryingly thin lower down. Tetras was an experience... hopefully snow harvesting will tide it over until the much needed dump begins dumping. Right now, the last corner and straight are basically wet rocks, and traffic is still piling over them so I doubt it'll hold up alone. If you're not on rentals, I'd recommend the Prodains at the mo!
snow report
The rain has started. It's still warm (10 degrees on the comedy weather station), but the temperature is dropping rapidly - the comedy weather station said 16 degrees only half an hour ago.
latest report
Peeing down. Temperature is stubbonly at 5.2 degrees C.
latest report
It looks like quite heavy snow down to 1100m, but it's difficult to tell because the freezing level didn't quite make it down to the village properly - so there's a very light dusting on the meadow outside the apartment and the balcony handrail, but nothing on the tarmac.

Only one way to find out...

...the things I do for you bunch... snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

...the things I do for you bunch...

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Just got back rom a quick ski this morning. Lovely bit's of powder but a tad windy at the top of Mossettes. It's still snowing in town but not settling below 1200m.

Forescast and general local chat is for it to continue on and off all week. With temperatures remaining low. Looks good for the last week in March and the Easter Hols.

PhillipStanton, Give us a bell when you are up next!
snow conditions
snowHead dumping in town snowHead

(edit: and settling too - i had half an inch on my boot bag walking back from the super morzine just now Very Happy)
snow report
Acheivement of the season...

We finally managed to get a table in Chez Crepy! Shocked Excellent lasagne and an etherial Chateau Neuf du Pape.

Surreal experience of the day...

A pipe band, complete with entourage in Chez Crepy in Plaine Dranse. None had skis. The chairlifts don't carry people without skis...and besides, you can't exactly get a drum on a chairlift Puzzled

Best moment, though, must be the bloke in the orange rufty, tufty Mamut Extreme trousers trying to dance. I hope he skies better than he dances rolling eyes

...and the snow report

It's a bit of a mixed story out there. As snowandtrek says, below 1200m the snow hadn't really stuck (note, past tense).

It's very difficult to tell how much snow has fallen because it's been very, very windy. The top of Brocheaux had maybe 10cm of fresh stuff, but the bottom (which is a different aspect) had 40-50cm of fresh heavy stuff. Over large bumps. The bottom section isn't the prettiest skiing I've done this season wink

Chaux Fleurie wasn't running until around 11:00 and we hightailed it up there to try to get first(ish) dibs on Renard. The run down to Plaine Dranse has a very wierd mixture of loose snow, over sticky snow, over rain affected snow that has frozen like a hard meringue. Get fun - but only if you ignored it completely and just skied - otherwise it was the type of snow that freaks people out.

Noone was on the bottom section of Renard. And when we went up Chaux des Roses we realised why...the run had levelled itself into a mixture of sticky powder with a large number of obviously viscious, icy moguls just sticking out of the top. A bit like a shoal of piranhas waiting for a victim. Something told me that, today, the bottom of Renard was only from the very brave.

The top of Renard? The same. The few people on the top section of Renard were having a very bad time. So we went down the red. Which was fine - apart from the flat light, zero visibility, howling icy wind, bumps and carnage. DM would have loved it.

We decided to beat a hasty retreat to lunch. And headed back - via "the trees" down to Linderats. The trees were fabulous. Almost good enough to do again - but today wasn't a day for re-runs.

Anyway, it's now puking down and the snow is well and truly sticking around at village level. The snow ploughs are out. Tourists are spinning off the roads. And the French are over-taking on blind corners without a care in the world.

Now where did I put that nice bottle of Bergundy...?
snow report
PhillipStanton, out there on Thursday and now literally counting the hours ... can't wait, just tell it to stop snowing on Wednesday night for me please Very Happy
snow report
stevew wrote:
PhillipStanton, out there on Thursday and now literally counting the hours ... can't wait, just tell it to stop snowing on Wednesday night for me please Very Happy

You forgot to add the blue sky as well Smile

snowHead
snow report
stevew wrote:

For heavens sake stevew, you can't keep changing your requirements like this! You wanted snow, I ordered snow. Now you want it to stop snowing...

...blimey mate, I just can't win here wink

15cm on the balcony since my last post. And still falling.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We decided to hit the Les Gets bowl today. Partly because we've not skied there much this season. Partly because visibility wasn't likely to be great up top. And partly because there's probably not much season left over there.

We parked and uploaded at Perrieres (more on which in a mo) and managed to get fresh tracks even at 10:30 (I know, I know...what time is that to get out skiing). Boot- to knee- deep powder off to the sides of runs, although most runs, including Yeti and Mytilles had been pisted - presumably to "lock" the snow in.

The lack of base is evident, though. There's shrubbery poking through on Yeti even with all the snow we've had.

The run back down under Perrieres was closed when we uploaded and was still closed when we wanted to get home. Given that we needed the car we had to ski the closed run - which was really, really horrible at the bottom. The run was quite rightly closed.

But surely it's not unreasonable to expect that if they open the car park and run the lift then they provide a route back to the car park? rolling eyes

No report tomorrow as we're skiing in the Chamonix valley. Somewhere.
ski holidays
Just got back from a great morning hooning around the Morzine/Les Gets side at full pelt - lovely groomed empty pistes with reasonable visibility - cranking out some big carve turns!

Of over to Avoriaz tomorrow which should be good.

Lovely fluffy powder just off the piste and with snow due on Thursday all looks really good for next week and the 2 Easter holiday weeks.

If anyone is interested we have availability next week and it's going cheap!!
ski holidays
snowandtrek, Next week does look fantastic, the snow and weather should be awesome Smile
latest report
snowandtrek, are you the same snowandtrek whose picking me up at Geneva tommorrow for SkiWhiteGold?
ski holidays
snowandtrek,
Quote:

lovely groomed empty pistes

Lovely that's what I want to hear, I'm off to the airport in half an hour Very Happy

snowHead
snow report
Has anyone else around the Portes du Soleil had an excellent day out today? Off piste...superb! Pistes....superb! My legs.....Knackered!

Friday looks as though it will be choice, with another 20-30 cms hopefully arriving tomorrow afternoon/evening (so they say)...

I'll keep y'all posted.
snow report
Snowmonkey, 10hrs and counting to flight out there ... cant't wait exicted isn't the word Very Happy
ski holidays
on the slopes at 1pm goggle day need I say more snowed on and off all afternoon started at ardent gondola did bits of les crosets and then avoriaz and coup de mond generally good conditions but the odd icey patch here or there lots of new snow really looking forward to tommorrow
snow conditions
stevew, Have a good one fella, out there myself from Tues mainly around avoriaz but do fancy trying Morzine and Les gets if the snow is as good there, if not we'll stay around Avoriaz etc so let us know what you think!! cheers.
latest report
BEST OF THE SEASON - back of Mont Chery was superb - light fluufy powder - empty runs - and I think that is even an understatement - legs are now aching....

Monday off to do the Vallee de la Manche - should be excellent conditions.
snow conditions
Conditions in Avoriaz and beyond are now fantastic, there has been soooo much new snow this week, and it's still puking down. I think the next few days will be the best of the season so far, over a metre of fresh snow and blue skies forecast soon. Spent a great day with PhillipStanton, David Murdoch, and friends. Best we do it all again tomorrow chaps, and lasses! Sorry to those of you doing that change over thing. NehNeh
ski holidays
another great day I concur pity visibility lacking but had fun morgins to champossin deserted last day tommorrow bo ho will try to make the most of it might do morzine proper tommorrow
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy