Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz / Morzine / Les Gets / Chatel - 2007/8

Poster: A snowHead
David Murdoch,

All this talk about lots of snow and great conditions is fine. All I am saying is that next march when there is plenty of snow on the ground in PDS the snow you will be skiing on will be mushy slush and the snow above 2000m will not.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NorthWestFace, - i'll start by tellign you that i'm a chalet owner in les carroz - this either makes me biased in favour of Les Carroz or makes me more experienced/qualified to comment. In my experiences of skiing in les carroz in march over the last three years, your comments about rain in march are totally unfounded. This area has an unbeliveble snow record that normally lasts well into April.

There are many factors that determine snow conditions rather than simply the height of the area that ski brochures/the press lead you believe. Higher generally means colder but this is typically only relevant in v early or v late season;
1/ amount of snow - PsD, Grand Massif and Aravis are the first major mountian areas for any disturbances from W or NW so receive an abnormally high amount of snow
2/ base of ground - rock-based terrain of 3V and Val D etc need significant snowcover to enable skiing - much of Grand Massif and PdS is grass-based so only needs a few centimetres.

Overall, when the conditions are right, you can have an amazing experience anywhere. Poeple shouldn't think that their own experiences are representative of the general conditions of a resort throughout a season. Statistics are generally accurate - both GM and PdS have excellent snow records.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
take a look at all the "rain" we were forced to ski through last March!!

http://youtube.com/v/DpFryVYJsjo

(sorry - video not best quality)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi All,

New to this forum but have been reading through the comments and most informative! I am hearing a LOT of bad news in the UK press about how the 'Alps Are Failing' and the lack of snow etc. As an apartment owner this is bad news for me as it puts a lot of people off. But, thinking about it, wasn't the snow late to arrive last year and mightn't it be that the seasons are changing so snow comes later each year? Well, hope so! Great photos from people, keep em coming! Hope you all have a Great Christmas.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PhillipStanton, Thanks for the taster - 1 week today for us. Any idea of the forecasts this coming week ?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
New to this site - very informative I have to say. Heading for snow 6th Jan - was thinking about Avoriaz, but basically will go wherever there is snow (and a good last minute deal!) Anybody got any ideas?
Will keep doing my snow dance . . . Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
IncogSkiSno - Snow-Forecast is saying nothing for the next week. The locals are all saying snow on 23rd. Who do you want to believe Wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The person that says soonest Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Welcome to snowHeads MrDan snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
NorthWestFace, late March, yes you may be right. But my absolutely favourite terrain is big slushy bumps. Actually, it's not, it's 10.30a.m. corn snow that's just transforming, ideally about an 8 inch layer.

So, you see, PDS March suits me just fine.

(P.S. I don't hate powder....it's just less reliable...and gets tracked out...)

Anyway, one of my best PDS days was 25 April 2004 (IIRC) where we had -8 in the morning and cold fresh (~10cm) until around 12.00 when we had to head to GVA.

May I impudently ask, where do you live and how do you ski? wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Murdoch, Can I join your gang ? Very Happy

I skied in the PDS for 111 days last season and most of them were excellent. Great variety, tree skiing, enourmous off piste and some of the best food I've eated on a mountain. Arrived on the 1st Dec to find lifts open and left 30th April, lots of snow but lifts turned off by then, this years is not quite such a good start but thats weather for you. I will ski just three weeks this season but at least one of those will be the PDS, a firm favourite now
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
NorthWestFace, We ski Avoriaz reugulary in late March and again April for Easter breaks, I agree that at Easter afternoon runs can become slushy, this is not the case in March. Your assertion of only having a 6 week skiing window is flawed.

You would be right in assuming that the place isn't very attractive. However the doorstep skiing even in April is enviable for most resorts. Alas purpose built resorts tend to be just that, purpose built. Give me convenience every time.

You have an absolute right not to like something. Good on yer.

Talking of snow or lack of it, I am off to Norway in the morning for a "green Christmas"!!!! Sad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
MrDan - welcome to snowHeads
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Roy Hockley - I must admit to not having skied anywhere that didn't have slush in March. But you can't have nice sunny weather without, well, the sun Wink

Anyway, I completely agree with your assertion that NorthWestFace has the absolute right not to like something. It's a shame to have one less snowHead in resort though Sad
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well, no sign of the pisteurs' snow - so NASA 1 / pisteurs nil.

Things are holding up, but things are going to get very stretched over Christmas and the New Year. Amazingly, though, we managed to find some untracked snow yet again today Shocked

The new Chaux Fleurie lift has opened giving access down to Plaine Dranse. We've not been over yet because it's proving difficult to buy PDS passes for our guests. We're told that the snow is very much like that at the top of Avoriaz.

We're also told that Chatel itself is a real mess.

I'm getting an awful lot of practise of ski base filling. Just call me "Fill".
snow conditions
All I can say about today is Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

It's the first time I've ever decided to leave the slopes because I felt unsafe. It's not the conditions. It's not the numbers. It's the sheer c&*pness (please excuse the French) of the Brits (sorry guys) who have just arrived...

...groups stopping sprawled across the piste...

...completely out of control turns...

...that bloke in yellow who decided to stop skiing in the centre of the piste and cut left, just because "he owns" the piste...

...ARGH!!!!!!!

It is honestly, the first time in 25 years that I've wanted to punch someone.

How was the snow? I've no idea - I was too scared to look... Evil or Very Mad
latest report
As long as they b*gger off by the end of Jan that's fine by me Toofy Grin
snow report
PhillipStanton, Much the same here, but it's the french. Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
The standard of skiing in Les Arcs also took a rapid decline today, nationality unknown but too many people who seriously need some ski and etiquette lessons. Generally the worst offenders were the snowbladers who weren't able to ski in a straight line then hockey stop, because of the hardpack snow and ice. Hope that people will have calmed down a bit tomorrow...
ski holidays
These photos of Plaine Dranse and across to Chatel aren't very good quality, sorry. They were taken today from the top of the newly replaced Chaux Fleurie lift. We didn't ski down into Plaine Dranse as most of our group didn't have passes for the sector...

Looking down onto Plaine Dranse - the runs down looked very good. David Murdoch will be pleased to know that Renard looked skiable...
Looking across to a very green (and poorly) Chatel.

The run down from the top of Chaux Fleurie down to Les Linderats was a nightmare - loose artificial snow on ice Shocked

Conditions in Avoriaz are just about holding up - but there are some very nasty rocks appearing...
snow report
Nice pics: it's got a month to improve... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Seen it worse, much worse.

PS thanks for the renard report, although I will confess that I like it best in about 3 inches of soft corn, around 10.30am and splitting spring sunshine. Let's hope I don't get my wish for some months!
ski holidays
David Murdoch, it was like that in January lat year? Laughing
ski holidays
David Murdoch, When did you see it much worse? Sharkymark, I thought there was lots of snow in Jan last year? It is a while before I get out to Les Gets and Morzine but I gatrher that precipitation forecast in the next week or so will fall as rain below 1800m Sad
latest report
chrisb, Winters 88-89 and 89-90. 88-89 we had snow just before Christmas (maybe less that there is at present) and then not another drop for (IIRC) 9 weeks. This was before the mass installation of snow cannons...we had to get quite inventive to keep our guests happy...
ski holidays
PhillipStanton, Where is the new Chaux Fleurie lift? Has it a greater capacity? I must admit I have not had too much of a problem with queues or anything. On one occaision I had to get on it at the top and lift it down because of the conditions. That was no real loss as it is one of my least favoured runs. The ski schools / groups of friends stopping on the south facing track......... No doubt you will know what I mean. Out there on 21st Jan.

No snow here in Norway, our friend is out on his hill at the moment with snow cannons -6, Hope he has a good remaining season. Christmas has gone and lost forever (as the song goes!). Frost on ground, nearest we got to white christmas.
snow conditions
Sharkymark wrote:
As long as they b*gger off by the end of Jan that's fine by me Toofy Grin

When are you going?
ski holidays
Roy Hockley - the new Chaux Fleurie lift is about 50m to the right of the old lift. The top has been realigned to make the exit off the lift down to Plaine Dranse better.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Roy Hockley, the new lift is a direct replacement for the old one except that there is no walk up to it anymore. It's a declutch six man so should alleviate the queues. Have to admit havn't been on it yet because I can't face skiing at the moment due to dire snow and general busyness.
Edited: Oops crossed with Phillips answer.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 29-12-06 16:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
David, I can't remember 89/90 but this year is worse than 88/89. From what I can remember of that season, the dump in Dec was of a reasonable size and then we got the odd small top up in Jan until the first proper dump in Feb. This year there is just so little base and I suspect the forecast snowfall this week is going to do little more than hide the many rocks.
Les Gets is largely shut, the links to Pleney are closed, Nyon has one lift open and frankly is unskiable. Anywhere in Avoriaz is heaving and all of the busy intersections are stone strewn. Machon is skiable but only in narrow gullys between the rocks and grass. The Arare has cover but is icy and frankly who would want to ski there?

But hey ho, the thermals are extraordinary for the time of year so I've had a very entertaining time above the Haut-Fort.

How's Chamonix/ Champallouc (?) looking?

cheers

Martin
ps the snowman arrives at the end of Jan so all will be well then Very Happy
ski holidays
David Murdoch, I remember how you kept your guests happy, some of them at least!!! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

David Murdoch, I remember how you kept your guests happy, some of them at least!!!

PHOTOS PLEASE !!
Very Happy Toofy Grin
latest report
If only I had some
snow conditions
actually I did'nt realise Chalet Libertine had been going so long !
ski holidays
Frosty, David Murdoch's the one in the leather mask, hanging from the ceiling, I'm told.
ski holidays
zzz, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
simo1234,

I WILL START BY TELLING YOU THAT I TOO AM A CHALET OWNER IN LES CARROZ!

LET'S JUST WAIT AND SEE WHAT THE SNOW-LINE IS IN MARCH / APRIL AND SNOW CONDITIONS / TEMP AT THE TOP OF THE BUBBLE.

Toofy Grin
snow report
simo1234,

SECOND THOUGHTS LETS HAVE A LOOK MONDAY! Skullie
snow conditions
Happy Days!!!!!.................... www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Morzine.0to3mid.php
latest report
Skiied into Morzine from Les Gets yesterday. Conditions crap there. Dump prediced fro today though.

Back in March! Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy