Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginner question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone! I found this site via a post on www.epicski.com and I thought I would post a question here. I haven't been on snow skis since I was 9 (and I'm now 37) when I lived in Germany (went skiing in Garmisch). Next year I'm thinking about taking my oldest nephew (will be 16 then) skiing in Switzerland. I had considered Zermatt, but when I mentioned this in an email to my uncle in Switzerland, he thought that Zermatt really wouldn't be good for a beginner due to the altitude. Would everyone agree with this opinion?

If Zermatt really isn't the place to go, then where in Switzerland would be a good place to go for beginners with a good ski school? There are also other factors I'm considering such as traffic free zone, good lodging, etc. Any information you can impart would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
First, Welcome to snowHeads trafaelwyr, snowHead

Zermatt is one of the 'must see' resorts of the world (which reminds me: I must see Zermatt rolling eyes ) but much of what it offers ski-wise, is probably well beyond your scope as beginners.
Altitude can be an issue, particularly over the first day or two, but it shouldn't be too serious a problem in Zermatt if you're reasonably fit.

However, Zermatt's lift pass is not cheap and since you wont need hundreds of km to keep you happy, you might do well to look at smaller resorts with substantially cheaper passes.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
trafaelwyr, hi, welcome to snowheads, is that a Welsh tag? Bore da. Someone is going to come along soon and suggest you look at Wengen. Lots of easy slopes and superlative scenery. But if you have a Swiss uncle, he could probably suggest loads of really good, small, places that most of us have never heard of.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
trafaelwyr, quite close to Zermatt is Saas Fee, which is popular with beginners and car-free in the village. Also look at Graechen, also close to Zermatt.

From either of these villages you could make a daytrip to Zermatt and ski on its glacier, which has gentle slopes, after a few days of practice.

I'd go in spring - maybe February or March - for good snow conditions.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd agree with David Goldsmith on Saas Fee. The Park Hotel is nice.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd say, as others have, that although Zermatt is a great place and the altitude shouldn't be a problem (I've never heard of it being a problem) it's probably best left for a year or two if your nephew is a real beginner.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
trafaelwyr, as mentioned above Wengen may well fit your requirements, it's not as big as Zermatt but is as traffic free (i.e there's very little traffic) you will also find that almost all the staff speak at least some English, it's a good resort for Begginers and intermediates with an easy but long run right back to the village, however it's not best suited to advanced skiers as there are few black pistes, the ski school there is generally very good with the beginer slopes right in the vilage center.

Assuming you fly into Geneva or Zurich however you need to allow for a 4 hour scenic train journey from either airport so make sure your flights don't arrive very late or depart very early at either airport or you will end up with less resort time
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Everyone - you've been great with your replies! Thank you very much.

Admin - I hadn't realised that the altitude would be an issue, not until my uncle mentioned that. What I had planned on doing was giving myself at least 2 days to get acclimated to the time zone difference and then go on from there. Having read what everyone else has posted here has given me some good options to look in to.

pam w - yeah, my nick is Welsh. Since I've been backpacking for 10 years now, I wanted a good online nick to represent that and figured that no one would look into a Welsh dictionary for that. Smile I'll look into Wengen (adding to my list). I was a bit surprised that my uncle didn't mention any places in his email to me yesterday, despite me asking if he knew of places other than Zermatt.

David Goldsmith - Saas Fee is another place that was on my list. I'd looked at the website ski-europe.com and in their review of Saas Fee, they listed the pros/cons of that area. They sounded a bit iffy about SF, that's why I looking to a site like this to get input from skiers here. Smile
Hmm, I've never heaerd of Graechen, so I'll add that to my research list.

D G Orf - Thanks for the info on Wengen. It's starting to sound like it might fit the bill. We'd most likely fly into Zurich.

Again, thanks to all for your input. Now I have a more focused direction to go with.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
trafaelwyr,

As said above, Zermatt is a fantastic place but I've don't know of a more unsuitable resort for beginners.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy