Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can you get an idea of how good someone is without seeing them ski?

Can you get an idea of how good someone is without seeing them ski?
Yes
47%
 47%  [ 25 ]
No
35%
 35%  [ 19 ]
Don't know
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Only by using the force understand you can, hmm.
15%
 15%  [ 8 ]
Voted : 53
Total Votes : 53

Poster: A snowHead
slikedges, true.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
slikedges wrote:
One way (which is a bit of a fudge I suppose) is if you see someone skate well on skis they're usually of a decent standard when skiing.

A good crossover sport that most people in the UK have access to is ice skating, even though the length of the skates does not replicate the ski there are many advantages gained in balance, edge control, carving, skating and falling.

I reckon if you went skating and got to a reasonable level on the ice then you would notice an improvement in your skiing the next time you went.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
little tiger,
Quote:

i could say yes - by watching them ride a T-bar

Quote:

oh and I'll add to that ... especially when the wind is blowing about 100kph into your face giving you a nice face peel from the sleet...and the track has rocks/debris on the side or a bit of a drop.. and is a bit rutted up....

You mean you have to watch them ski in Scotland Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
slikedges,
Quote:

One way (which is a bit of a fudge I suppose) is if you see someone skate well on skis they're usually of a decent standard when skiing.

I hope I skate well on skis - i've been practicing twice a week for a year and a half and raced 20km a couple of weekends ago (admitedly not on snow Smile ) We'll have to see how well it transfers to fat heavy planks and too short poles Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
slikedges wrote:

Doesn't always compute - I've always been able to skate on skis because I did quite a lot of ice skating when I was younger. Whilst the skating helps with the concept of edges, I still had to learn what to do with those planks
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dave Horsley, wot were you skating on Puzzled skates? rollerskis?

eng_ch, true, I used to roller skate and still roller blade Very Happy Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
slikedges, Dave Horsley, saw a novel and rather scary concept in the DSV mag last week - nordic blading Shocked Basically rollerblading with a couple of nordic walking poles to make you go faster
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
eng_ch, that can't look right, given a safe track I'd give it a go though Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
eng_ch, slikedges,

Nordic blading is for wusses Smile - they turn easily, your heel is fixed and they are short and light. Nope I was rollerskiing in the british championship at the Hetton Lyon bike track. Did the 20km in 1hr 8 min 52secs, winning time was 43 mins by Mike Dixon an ex olympic biathlete. I was well pleased with my time as it was a very windy day so was extra hard work.

There is some video of what is involved here:

http://www.rollerski.co.uk/ns018.html

This is the head to head sprints from the Huntly sprint races earlier this year.
I've also got a coaching video of my (poor) technique which I could (possibly) put in the snowMedia zone if any one is interested and I can work out how to do it.

The Scottish Championships are beeing held at Huntly this Saturday - a 7.5km race for seniors if anyone is interested and on Sunday there is a hill climb at Cairngorm from the hayfield to the Cas carpark -should be fun Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
eng_ch, I have nordic blading poles. They're great. I go twice as fast and feel twice as stable!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Murdoch wrote:

It's not snobbery, it's not "holding-knife-like-pen", there's a Right way and a Wrong way.

Have you been reading 'Dear Mary' again?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dave Horsley wrote:
little tiger,
Quote:

i could say yes - by watching them ride a T-bar

Quote:

oh and I'll add to that ... especially when the wind is blowing about 100kph into your face giving you a nice face peel from the sleet...and the track has rocks/debris on the side or a bit of a drop.. and is a bit rutted up....

You mean you have to watch them ski in Scotland Smile

or Thredbo Australia Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
eng_ch, especially as you rotate your shoulders in opssodite directions to parallel turns on skis as opposed to skates...plus other crucial differences!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Ah yes! But that's cheating. I recall watching, from a chairlift, an ESF instructor skating apparently effortlessly uphill carrying a huge pile of slalom poles. Poetry. The best skier I went out with last year (which isn't saying too much, I have to say, given the company I keep) had ten foot long skis and ancient rear entry boots he had borrowed off a mate. But he was 20. And French. And been ski-ing since he was 4. Clothes? The anorak he wore to work every cool day in Dijon and a too short pair of salopettes, from same friend, which cut into his crutch and didn't exactly meet the aforsaid rear entry boots. The only problem he encountered was on moguls made by people with much shorter skis.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fatbob wrote:
jeans with white gaiters combo can be difficult judgement calls. wink

oh my gawd you saw me skiing at l'Alpe d'Huez last year Embarassed

Regarding the question... skis, clothes etc are not a good clue but I think you can tell a lot from seeing a photo of someone standing on their skis at the bottom of the pistes before they set out for the day.
ski holidays
Yeah, after watching hundreds of different people, it's quite obvious.

You get people at XScape wearing backpacks and bobble hats like they're going skiing in Austria for the day, apparantly we've had one guy ask for a piste map before. These kind of skiiers are usually all image and not that good on the slope, with technique being poor but speed being a strong point.

Then you get women/men that have spent lot's on the clothes but are still using rental equipement, generally these people are quite beginnerish, probably just learnt before they go on their first trip.

Mostly guys, that have a more freestyle look (ie. baggy pants) tend to be very good skiiers, but are technically not quite there.

And finally, people with their own kit, wearing red trousers more often than not, are good skiiers.

By the way, if you actually read all that, and understood it, well played, I got to the second line and started mumbling from there Smile
ski holidays
Jono wrote:
Yeah, after watching hundreds of different people, it's quite obvious.

[...] apparantly we've had one guy ask for a piste map before.

That's the funniest thing i've read all day Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
We did see someone at MK wearing Goggles Confused
snow conditions
IncogSkiSno, with a daytime or night-skiing lens?
snow report
comprex,

silly - a photo reactive one!
snow report
David Murdoch, how about further than that, with perhaps a tenuous connection.

We use the same muscles and nerves skiing as for other things ( walking, posture, awareness of surroundings, etc). There is a mirror neuron trigger on the non-ski actions. (Can you tell that someone is just oblivious?) Then that is grafted on a purely subjective expertise scale?

Doubly subjective, with two points of error, but there it is my best guess.
ski holidays
David Murdoch,
I am not to sure if you can tell if some is a good skier by how they carry their skis. As I have very poor dexterity and struggle to hammer a nail into a piece of wood . I also find carry skis very awkward and it shows, but I've got good balance (I can stand on one leg on a balance/wobble board and be able to catch a tennis ball bounced of a wall) and can ski at a decent level. Unfortunately, I am all thumbs when it comes to using my hands.
snow report
Jono,
Quote:

You get people at XScape wearing backpacks
That's because you don't get your £1 back when you accidently leave something you want back in the locker and have to open it again.

Quote:

you get women/men that have spent lot's on the clothes but are still using rental equipement
That's because indoor snow does baaaad things to your own skis and then you have to pay to get them serviced.

Look - it's obvious! Castleford is in Yorkshire rolling eyes

(And before you all start, I'm from Yorkshire too - that's how I know.) Little Angel
snow conditions
maggi wrote:
That's because indoor snow does baaaad things to your own skis and then you have to pay to get them serviced.

I had some video of sparks coming off my mine at an indoor slope !
latest report
maggi wrote:

Unless you're a shockingly bad skiier, the snow at Xscape is perfectly fine and will do very little damage if nothing at all to your skis.

rolling eyes
ski holidays
Jono, isn't there some chemicals in the snow though.

I had heard that it was a little more corrosive than just snow itself, also it seems to get wax off your skis pretty quickly too.
snow report
Jono wrote:
Unless you're a shockingly bad skiier, the snow at Xscape is perfectly fine

Blimey! Not only is eveyone criticising other people's skiing - even the bl@@dy snow is at it now Shocked .
ski holidays
Jono,

Quote:

Unless you're a shockingly bad skiier, the snow at Xscape is perfectly fine and will do very little damage if nothing at all to your skis.

Why should being a bad skier wreck my skis more than if I was good one ?

I've raced at both MK and Castleford, and each time I've needed to wax my skis afterwards cos' the snow had dried them out ?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I believe the indoor snow wares wax more is because the fine crystal structure (short in-air growth time) and constant cold (no sun day/night cycles)
I dont think they use chemicals at xscape. Some (older) artificial snow systems did use chemicals.
I could be talking rubbish though.
ski holidays
lampbus wrote:
I believe the indoor snow wares wax more is because the fine crystal structure (short in-air growth time) and constant cold (no sun day/night cycles)
I dont think they use chemicals at xscape. Some (older) artificial snow systems did use chemicals.
I could be talking rubbish though.

I think you are pretty close....

as an Oz skier I get to ski LOTS of man-made snow... it is made without chemicals just air and water and maybe some bacterial cell wall if anything (not usually used at home I believe as expensive)...

this man made snow is more GRANULAR than the real stuff (depending on how it is made it can be more so or less so... but pretty much always more granular)....

think of a snowflake (that nice branchy pattern you all know) .... now kind of knock all the extra bits off so it is just the star shape.... I believe that man made is more like this .... hence less light and fluffy and more grainy... the grainier snow tends to "scratch" the snow....

Please note - the above is what I understood from what some snow geeks tried to explain to me... I may have it all wrong...

My understanding was the "real snow" gets more time to grow as it falls a longer distance... so it gets to grow all that pretty crystal structure... while the man made does not get to stay up in the air long hence more granular... (when they make slurpy to make a base even MORE so than when they top up)...

they tell me this is why the snow from the guns mounted on lift towers is "nicer" to ski than teh regular guns - more height...
snow report
david@mediacopy wrote:
maggi wrote:

I had some video of sparks coming off my mine at an indoor slope !

Must've been Tamworth!
snow report
anyone wearing the CMH jacket they got free after 1,000,000' heli skiing- will be good.

jacket will have cost over £50k

If they also have the rucksack and trousers - be very afraid.

I skied with a very nice chap wearing this kit in April- he had stiched some badges over the CMH million feet logos- but I saw through his disguise........

ps- he was a farmer from Gloustershire and not some sort of Russian oil oligarch......and far too nice for me to be bitterly jealous.......which sort of made it all so much worse.......
snow conditions
Quote:

he was a farmer from Gloustershire

Small dairy herd?.....I think not.
ski holidays
edsilva, good evening old chap - nice to hear from you.
ski holidays
charlieboy, hello
latest report
edsilva, not necessarily...disagree. We had a fellow on one of our trips who could hardly link a turn - but a pair of very soft and fat CMH Volkls meant he could just about keep up. Throw enough money and fat enough skis at the problem and ANYone can get a cmh suit, pack, etc.
ski holidays
little tiger, Interesting. All I know about "artificial" snow is that (and this was explained many years ago so practice may have changed) as you need reasonably low temperatures, they tend to make whenever they can, concrete. I.e. blast out as much wet snow as possible that can be dozed into a solid (and longer lasting) base. I believe that the systems could make light fluffy powder if they wantedc (and it was ambiently cold enough) but that's not really what the system was bought for.

comprex, I suppose you must be able to extend that. But as you say tenuous. An interesting thought. Some of our very very good skiing friends are just all round athletes. Thinking of some of our Swiss friends, one is full cert Swiss instructor and can pretty much pick up any bat, ball or peculiar set of rules and perform tolerably well. In contrast though, I am tolerably good when it comes to dynamic balance but utterly pants at co-ordinating hand and eye.

I am going to suggest that motivation and life-history has to play its place too...??
snow report
David Murdoch wrote:
little tiger, Interesting. All I know about "artificial" snow is that (and this was explained many years ago so practice may have changed) as you need reasonably low temperatures, they tend to make whenever they can, concrete. I.e. blast out as much wet snow as possible that can be dozed into a solid (and longer lasting) base. I believe that the systems could make light fluffy powder if they wantedc (and it was ambiently cold enough) but that's not really what the system was bought for.

?

our guys will pretty much output slurpy to start with ... - this stuff gets them the base...

once they have a base the stuff they make is a bit more like snow....

This season is a pretty good example.... we had plenty cold days but no moisture.... so the snowmaking allowed them to open runs that they would never have got open otherwise...
I don't know how "low" you think is reasonably low... at home they often make on marginal temps - but the relative humidity is the key.... (someone else may have more idea... dew point is important for them)... so a cool dry night is best...

when you ski this stuff you can SEE that the bases have dried out within a day or two - hence my skis would normally be waxed every 2 days or so... If you don't wax them you quickly get skis with lower edges and higher middles etc etc...

when we have better natural cover this is way less evident.....

My home resort - Thredbo - invested in a heap of new snowmaking equipement starting a couple of years ago.... This included newer fancier guns that are mounted on the lift towers (see above re the extra height).. and are fully automated... this increases the opportunity to make snow.. we have nice inversion in middle of mountain regularly - the level one will get snow or not snow will change - automated saves time and allows them to run closer to the edge of possible snow making...

Re the only make in reasonably low temps...
How then does the one they trialled at Buller work? It can snowmake in positive temps - they use it in these conditions OS... but they were not organised when they tried it at Buller and the pipes with the water froze because they were not set up for "such cold" conditions... - this is like -5C or so was killing it IIRC
latest report
little tiger, I am a little out of date...automated definitely a good thing. No idea about +ve temp snowmaking?? Surely someone from York is lurking around here? (The snow making machine company, not the quaint middle English city!)
snow conditions
they were using the machine in middle east somewhere.... it has a huge refrigerator thingy with it.... it got frozen pipes when we had a cold snap... they then tried to insulate the pipes by wrapping them up.... was a bit funny to protect a snowmaking machine from the COLD!!!

Oh I forgot - THredbo's snow making investment paid offv big time this season - they easily had the best out of the cold dry snowless winter....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy