Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pole-planting

Poster: A snowHead
veeeight,

I could do with losing some of those double pole plants... Laughing I first started doing them when I saw Jeff Stump doing moguls but I think it has promoted a bad habit or two...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very Happy

*In General* - people that use double pole plants in the bumps to re-center (sp) do a much better job at getting down because they don't stay in the back seat.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
veeeight,

Its getting put there in the first place that I don't like, I think it has gotten more frequent than I can explain away ...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This double pole plant - what is it? At what point to you make the second plant?
I'm confused Puzzled
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
veeeight, where do you plant the "other" pole. Can't see how you could plant it in bumps without it getting in the way of pre-rotation?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
zammo wrote:
This double pole plant - what is it? At what point to you make the second plant?
I'm confused Puzzled

A double pole plant is when you plant both poles simultaneously at the normal point (end of turn/start of next turn depending on how you think of it) - not planting the same pole twice!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
a-ha - that makes more sense, I suppose. I can see that it might help with upper body alignment in the bumps, kind of forcing the issue re: facing downhill but I just can't imagine doing it - it would feel SOOOOO wrong!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
zammo, I've only used it in slalom race training, and occasionally as an exercise. I can see nothing but grief trying to do it in bumps! Shocked
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Double pole plants are wrong.

Double pole plants when telemarking can help your keep your balance centered, do you see good telemarkers doing it? No.

Doing double pole plants when skiing moguls is WRONG. So wrong it hurts. Next you'll be advocating monoboarding...

Surely nobody below the age of 50, or perhaps 35 if French, would EVER use double pole plants...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There a nice video clip of Anya Paerson in the slalom at Maribor using double pole plants on some of her turns.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pole plants on the wrong side can be fun. 'specially when someone is trying to follow Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
THere's a great sequence of some odd Hawaiian "skiers" doing fast repeated pole plants on both sides sequentially at the start of Hawaii-Five-O...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
parlor wrote:

Double pole plants when telemarking can help your keep your balance centered, do you see good telemarkers doing it? No.

Doing double pole plants when skiing moguls is WRONG. So wrong it hurts. Next you'll be advocating monoboarding...

Surely nobody below the age of 50, or perhaps 35 if French, would EVER use double pole plants...

I'm a mere 31 and though originally from Kent (hence nearly french) not french!! snowHead Seriously though as an exercise it really helps because if you are dropping your inside had you don't really have the weight on the outside ski hence cant make an effective turn - it is near impossible to double plant and drop the inside hand!! Not sure about trying it in the moguls though! snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quoted from another forum:

Quote:
When I did my CSIA level 3 course a couple of seasons ago the coach had me doing double pole plants on the crest of the bumps (this was on steep/large moguls) ... the problem I had was that I was flexing a fraction too early so by the time I actually should have flexed I had no room to absorb & no time to extend again on the other side ... so maintaining control in the fall-line on steeper bumps without introducing a skid was rather demanding. This exercise forced me to wait that all important fraction of a second & got me to re-centre ... it worked wonders for me and now I use it a lot in my own training and also with more advanced clients. The one key for me was to make sure that you swing the pole baskets out & forward with a circular wrist motion as opposed to lifting the pole by extending the hands forward & up ... when you're actually in the bumps this makes more sense as you avoid catching the baskets (especially on the inside) on the front of the bump.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
veeeight wrote:
Quoted from another forum:

Quote:
The one key for me was to make sure that you swing the pole baskets out & forward with a circular wrist motion as opposed to lifting the pole by extending the hands forward & up ...

wink
ski holidays
parlor wrote:

Last year one of my instructors (a BASI trainer/examiner) was advocating double pole plants in couloir skiing - and did them all the time himself. He also did them when taking the fun (i.e. airbone) route through mogul fields.
snow conditions
GrahamN wrote:
instructors (a BASI trainer/examiner) was advocating double pole plants in couloir skiing - and did them all the time himself. He also did them when taking the fun (i.e. airbone) route through mogul fields.

wink
snow report
veeeight, wink but, nope. Still don't get it. I still don't see that you can correctly turn on a bump without proper anticipation and with a second pole in the way. Likewise in couloirs...
snow report
Well there you go then.

What to do?

Happy to agree to disagree. Clearly all us instructors must be turning incorrectly in bumps then. Very Happy
ski holidays
I'm 28, and have had lessons in both Canada and Europe and the double plant seems to me to be the preference of certain instructors as opposed to any great age or continental divide thing. I picked it up when I started racing in my mid teens, and use it still from time to time but more often than not when skiing the fall line with tight turns. In saying this last year in Val T I got a couple of private lessons, for most of which the instructor was trying to beat the double plant out of me. I still do it though, i like the way it forces you to keep both hands well forward and thus your body weight where it should be. I see alot of otherwise technically very good skiers letting their hands drop away, with the resultant drop back over the tails, which to me is just sloppy. The double plant stops me from doing it. When I fan out into wider radius turns i do revert to a single plant though.

I tend to use the double plant also on the rare occasions that i ski bumps. I would usually plant the tip out from my body quite a distance, far further than you see the ESF video formation skiing chaps from the eighties by way of example, and with my upper body square to the fall line i don't find that they get in the way. For me pole planting is more about a timing aid than actually being involved much in the turn (I have seen people generating some of their unweighting from a very heavy pole 'stab'!) so it really doesnt interfere with my turns.

On saying all this though, the longer I ski the more i realise its a 'different strokes for different folks' activity, what feels right and works for one may be anathema to others. Part of the fun for me in it though is looking at good skiers and incorporating what they do into my own skiing to see how it works for me. Sometimes, as with the double plant, it does, other times it doesnt! Smile
snow report
Does anyone often ski without poles?

Whenever the instructor would tell our group to lose them for an excercise, everyone would groan. When you actually started to move downhill, it was actually rather fun, I liked being able to lean over hard and skim the snow with my finger tips (rightly or wrongly - it felt fun, almost like you were gliding down like a bird!)

It was nice to be without poles getting in the way. Having said that they're great comfort for beginners certainly - their purpose may not be to help you to stand up but it sure helps!
ski holidays
veeeight, happy to agree to disagree too!

But none of my instructor friends ever double pole plant...

And as I suggest, in bumps, if you're skiing them fall line (properly in my book), I don't see how you can double plant at all...

Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy