Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Go on, have a laugh...

Poster: A snowHead
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, Really you last year? Little Angel

SZK, really me. In Snowbird. In January (or was it February) 2006.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's a lot of good things in that clip. Your control is superb, and your knees are nicely bent, your turns look nice and smooth.

Points to improve on-

You're in the back seat (aren't we all?), and need to be flexing your ankles more in your boots to get your weight forward, perhaps a softer boot is in order?

Similarly (and contrary to what Phillip Stanton, sorry) I think that your arms are not forward enough or high enough, and this is contributing to your weight being in the back seat.

Thirdly your shoulders and upper body seem very stiff over your hips, and your inside shoulder seems to be dropping into the turn with very little angulation of upper and lower body.

This problems are probably shared to a greater or lesser extent by almost every skier, myself included. I really would suggest that you go to L2A and have a few private lessons with easiski like I did last season, as her drills really sorted me out from making very similar mistakes.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cathy wrote:
My, you are very brave Wear The Fox Hat!

Cathy, brave or stupid, I decided that I'd put my money where my mouth is. I'm not an expert skier, and I'm happy to admit that.
We can learn from each other, as long as we want to learn.
I want to learn.

I am pleased that the responses so far have been done in a positive light, i.e. seeing good points and bad points, suggesting ways of building on the good, and improving bad points.

It's another reason why I like video footage - I can go back to it, and share it with others, and people who weren't there at the time can give tips and advice.

If people are enjoying this (or maybe even benefitting from it), let me know, and I might dig up video footage from previous years. (although I will not be providing Pampers for those who might p!ss themselves laughing at me Laughing)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kramer wrote:
Similarly (and contrary to what Phillip Stanton, sorry) I think that your arms are not forward enough or high enough, and this is contributing to your weight being in the back seat.

Don't be sorry Kramer - I agree. Arms further forward is definitely going to help the posture.

The "higher" / "lower" bit is more difficult though and is definitely something that would benefit from seeing in the flesh. I'd agree with slightly higher relative to the waist, but not to the snow - i.e. WTFH needs to flex more at the ankles and

I agree with Kramer on the good points and also on the shoulder drop.

The shoulder is a bit of a chicken and egg thing - is the shoulder dropping or is the lifting of the opposite hand causing the shoulder drop? I'm not good enough at this to know the answer to that one.

It is something that's easy to fix for yourself though because it's obvious on video.

Quote:
If people are enjoying this (or maybe even benefitting from it), let me know, and I might dig up video footage from previous years. (although I will not be providing Pampers for those who might p!ss themselves laughing at me

How could we refuse an offer like that?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PhillipStanton wrote:
I agree with Kramer on the good points and also on the shoulder drop.

The shoulder is a bit of a chicken and egg thing - is the shoulder dropping or is the lifting of the opposite hand causing the shoulder drop? I'm not good enough at this to know the answer to that one.

Well, the answer could be that one of the things I was trying to remember to was to lift the other hand, this MAY be the cause.

(You'll be glad to hear that a lot of the comments here tie in with what is being said on Epic...)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wear The Fox Hat - how long are those poles? And what height are you from the tip of your bent elbow to the floor?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PhillipStanton, the poles are 125cm. (possibly in my defence I would say that there was a couple of inches of powder on the piste - it hadn't been bashed in an hour or more - so to make sure I wasn't dragging the poles, they do need to be lifted higher.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wear The Fox Hat, it's not so much the need to lift them highter - it's more that when your arm is bent at 90 degrees the poles look too long - even allowing for the lack of pole plant.

Next time you hit MK then it would be worth doing a couple of runs with 115cm poles and then 120cm poles to see how you do.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Here's the same discussion on EpicSki...
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=43446
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's quite nice to see that other more experienced skiers see it in a similar way, including the good points. I definitely see the lack of ankle flex as the main problem, sort that and the rest will fall into place, although it may take a little bit of window dressing. I would say that is the single thing that you need to concentrate on in the coming season. I wouldn't write off softer flexing boots if I were you, they may take a bit of getting used to, but I think that they would pay dividends.

My point about easiski also still stands, I think that she's quite a lot more aggressive in getting people to get their weight forward, both in terms of technique, and teaching style! It really made a huge difference for me.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wear The Fox Hat,
Personal opinion and not to be taken to seriously as I know nothing about the technical points of skiing and certainly cannot put any of this into action.
When I see a really good skier skiing they look dynamic and eager to get down the hill their body moves over their skis and if they tried to keep a position without movement they would fall without the speed of what they are doing keeping them up.You look like you are standing on your skis with little forward movement and all the grip seems to be coming from the back.

What to do differently? I have no idea, lessons I guess.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
T Bar, One good example here.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rjs, I can just watch that time and again. snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rjs - I've told you before - I hate it when people show videos of me Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Good find rjs.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ayy I was thinner back in those days rolling eyes
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, we were all thinner back in those days.

Tell that to kids today...
snow report
interesting vid rjs, and shows my main problem, in that I bring my hands together just like that racer, when one of the tips I've been given is to always keep them wide for balance.

Top idea though, will try and dig one of mine out from last year....
ski holidays
There are several other good videos on that site as well as really good descriptions of current race technique.
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, am I missing something? For over 2 years I've read reports on your reviews of skis and you've argued technical points with other skiing experts. I imagined that you were some sort of ski god. Please keep your ski test results to yourself as you are not really qualified or experienced enough to be a ski tester. Sorry to sound negative but I do feel duped.
snow report
chris wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, am I missing something?
Quote:
I imagined that you were some sort of ski god

Well, your fantasies are your own affair Shocked
Quote:
I do feel duped
Don't we all at some time or other rolling eyes
Quote:
you are not really qualified or experienced enough to be a ski tester

What exactly are the qualifications that give one the right to express opinions on skis on this site? A Phd in "The effects of reading crap reviews on the internet and ski buying behaviour"?

Look, chris, this is a fun site and no-one pretends to be experts. And if they do we just laugh. Put yourself up here in a video - if you're 'ard enough! WTFH obviously is!
ski holidays
chris, your post is more of a reflection of your bad attitude, than WTFH's ability to ski and/or test skis.

Wear The Fox Hat, You keep smiling on the snow and reviewing equipment and I'll keep reading your posts.
snow conditions
maggi, SnowHot, sorry, I have come across as a bit mean spirited. Not my intention. But... when I wanted to buy new skis in March I read what snowHead 's had to say about skis. I grouped Wear The Fox Hat, in with other experts like T Bar, SZK and Parlour for their valid opinions and recommendations before I tried the skis. Clearly I got my facts wrong. So, in future, I can read his ski tests from a different point of view. Embarassed Embarassed
snow report
chris, If FOXY's ability were to be described here, for sake of arguement as, 5 out of 10. How would you rate your ability? Twisted Evil
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, around 7-8. What about you?
snow report
The views of everyone are important IMHO
Parlour e.g. would not want to review a ski that would interest me. He want something like a water ski that will be ok for jumps and thats not for me.
snow report
chris, Any given day i could be a 1 or a 10. wink
snow conditions
chris,
Quote:

you are not really qualified or experienced enough to be a ski tester

and what qualifies you to be one either. on every ski test i have been involved in (plenty since about 1989) we are looking for a cross section of skiers to test product, its not about qualification or expereince it is about feelings and thoughts. foxy is what i would describe as better than the average skier that you see sliding around the mountain, he is not an instructor, not is he professing to be (i have seen several instructors skiing who are not as good however, great teachers but cr@p skiers)

if the only people allowed to express an opinion about skis was a high grade instructor or a racer then

1 there would be no skis tested for the masses
2 there would be no ski tests as these people would all want paying vast sums of money for their opinions
3the whole ski industry would disappear up its own butt

if you don't want to accept anything he says then that is up to you, but wind your neck in and keep opinions like that to yourself.

if it makes you happy, i am not likely to listen to your views on skis either Little Angel
ski holidays
I was testing skis yesterday, I'm not 'qualified' either, but that doesn't mean I can't express an opinion on the skis I tried.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chris, what a meanie. Go and test your own bleedin' skis then.
latest report
 brian
brian
maggi wrote:

Look, chris, this is a fun site and no-one pretends to be experts.

That's how it should be, but in fairness to chris, I have to say that's exactly what WTFH has been pretending for a long time on here. Ok, obviously his mates are going to have known how he skis and maybe the expert stuff was more tongue in cheek, but this thread is the first I was aware he was back in the mortal category with most of us on here ...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=17428

I fully agree with everyone above that it's interesting to get a range of opinions from a range of abilities on skis and that everyone has as much right to say what they think but they should at least be a bit upfront about the type of skiing so we know where they're coming from.
snow report
brian wrote:
I fully agree with everyone above that it's interesting to get a range of opinions from a range of abilities on skis and that everyone has as much right to say what they think but they should at least be a bit upfront about the type of skiing so we know where they're coming from.

I couldn't agree more.
snow conditions
brian, shame I hadn't seen that thread before but its reassuring to know I wasn't the only one to think that Wear The Fox Hat, was an expert skier.
snow conditions
I've always supported anyone who wants to post a review should do so. It will be relavant to someone and everyone is entitled to an opinion and they could/should qualify it. But if you paint yourself as this and that then you should be able to back it up. At least now the situation is clearer and you can take the advice offered or not.

Some stuff you can read out of a book or trawl the internet, some stuff you know.
latest report
A couple of points I essentially agree with Brian and Kramer. I dont think Chris was trying to say the WTFH should not test skis or post comments but that in the past some of his comments have appeared to be very authoratitive. I don't manage links very well but here are a couple of relatively recent quotes

Quote:

SMALLZOOKEEPER, take your head out of your back bottom and go find some powder. I'm getting tired of your barbed comments at anyone who skis on less than an 85mm ski, perhaps you're not capable of skiing a shorter, narrower, stiffer ski, or is it just that your shop doesn't sell them?

Or better yet, put your money where your mouth is, and come ski some real powder with me in January. I'll be at the indoor slope in Alta/Snowbird.

Quote:

beeryletcher, my beef with them is that over the last 5 years or more of testing skis, I've only found one of their skis to be anything other than a hero ski (i.e. one that makes you feel you are a far better skier than you really are), and that was the 2001 Equipe 3V race ski.
If they produce a good ski, I'll judge that ski on its merit, but recently I haven't felt that they have.

As Brian says probably tongue in cheek but there was no accompanying smiley and I think WTFH may have been slightly disingenuous Puzzled

Another minor point I am no equipment maven and know very little at all about ski testing and the only way that I could compare my skiing with Parlors is in my dreams or possibly nightmares as I would end up in hospital looking at that stuff.
snow report
chris wrote:
maggi, SnowHot, But... when I wanted to buy new skis in March I read what snowHead 's had to say about skis. I grouped Wear The Fox Hat, in with other experts like T Bar, SZK and Parlour for their valid opinions and recommendations before I tried the skis.

Were you satisfied with your ski purchase, Based on the reviews you read on snowHead ?

chris wrote:
Clearly I got my facts wrong. So, in future, I can read his ski tests from a different point of view. Embarassed Embarassed

Clearly, you need to clarify..........Do you want your ski reviews done by real people who ski the same real slopes that you do? Or.....do you want to read ski reviews done by pro skiers who forgot what its like to ski on stock equipment?
snow conditions
SnowHot, I think that you're missing the point, which isn't that less than expert skiers shouldn't post reviews, rather that people should qualify their standards first.
snow report
Kramer, must be my English is a little off with all the yooper slang I'm used to Embarassed

At any rate, I'm happy to know what real people think about ski equipment, and I'm always happier when the reviews are posted and we have the opportunity to use this type of forum to ask further quesions about the equipment.
This is truly a valuable resource. Glad to have access to snowHead
snow conditions
Don't most people rate their ski ability higher than it really is? Few people realise what they look like when they're skiing, most of them looking like complete groms, very few looking smooth and elegant.

chris, post a video of your skiing, mate.
snow report
On my first visit to Castleford, while waiting in the very small lift queue, I saw a man skiing down the slope. He was very smooth and elegant, or rather his skiing was. They do exist, and yes, he was a snowHead
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, that was quite obviously me, then. I can't think of anyone else in the whole wide world that it could possibly have been.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy