Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lens Colour Question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Am hoping people on here have a better understanding than me on this!

I prefer using wrap around sunglasses to goggles as it feels less restrictive, but I presume the lens concept is identical anyway.

I have some POC Crave glasses with Brown/Silver Mirror lenses, they serve me pretty well however they don't seem ideal for low light or cloudy conditions (if it makes a difference we've been in Nordic resorts over the last few years and likely to spend more time in the region in the coming years), particularly in the mornings.

So, I was hoping to get one (or more) lenses for different conditions, however the chart on the POC website: https://www.pocsports.com/products/crave-sparelens?variant=37885252239512 doesn't have a snow specific category (I guess they are mainly targeting mountain bikers).

Therefore I'm trying to work out if one of the violet lenses might be more suitable and if so which one?

Alternatively of course it may be that I have to switch back to more traditional goggles for low light conditions, but I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts here!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 15-04-24 11:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That peacock has some amazing colours in it. Not sure what lenses it’s using. (Link doesn’t go to a colour chart)

Most low light lenses are yellow, or a pinky tone.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That peacock has some amazing colours in it. Not sure what lenses it’s using. (Link doesn’t go to a colour chart)

Most low light lenses are yellow, or a pinky tone.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rogg, Laughing

For those reading this, post my edit, for some reason I initially posted a link to a video of a peacock instead of the POC website!!!!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You might want to take a look at somewhere like RXsport before you make your choice, with the Bolle photochromatics may work as an all rounder.
https://www.rxsport.co.uk/product-category/sports/snow/ski-sunglasses/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@vjmehra, The only pair of sunglasses that POC list in their snow category are these ones: https://www.pocsports.com/collections/snow-eyewear-all-mountain/products/nivalis

Full glacier glasses may not be the worst idea anyway, depending on how much you value your eyes, but regardless of that have a look at which lenses they are selling with that model and see if any are also available in the frame you want.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@vjmehra, if it's for low light then you want the highest contrast and highest VLT. From the choices in the link and the usage descriptions down the page, I think that would be the Violet 28.4 (no mirror) although it's implied that the brown/light mirror has a higher VLT but I can't see a specific number anywhere. It's not very well explained but I assume the 28.4 is the VLT level. Or else just get the clear lens.

I like brown lenses for everyday use, especially driving, but used to use pink lenses for skiing. In low light, most people think pink or amber/yellow are the best for contrast. I'm in the amber camp but that doesn't seem to be an option unfortunately.

Given that a spare lens is £90 and you're considering more than one, I think I'd just buy some ski specific polarized/photochromic sunglasses instead. Bolle make great lenses at very sensible prices and you'll find plenty of Bolle modulator/phantom lens advocates on this forum.

https://www.bolle.com/gb/sunglasses/technologies/phantom----photochromic-polarized/
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
On that chart go LEFT (for high VLT) and as mentioned above - go for yellow or rose tint.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've used these for the last couple of holidays and have been pleased with them.

https://www.ndrsports.com/store/p/ultimate-photochromic-sports-sunglasses

Still revert to goggles on snowy days but these glasses worked well on low light/mixed cloud days.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@vjmehra, if you don't need to buy POC, there are a variety of nice looking photochromics around?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cool thank you for the insight everyone, will shop around over the summer!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@vjmehra, the nose rim broke on my old skiing sunglasses last week and due to the highly varying conditions I made a rapid purchase in-resort and these have worked out well for me: Julbo Montebianco-2, Polarized and covered sunny days and low light days. They have removable side shields if you ever feel the need but left them on while driving home. Sorry, no expert but just thought I would share my experience.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
https://www.safetygoggles.co.uk/bolle-silex-silexpsj-yellow-safety-glasses.html
I've had a pair of these (older version) for years and can't fault them. They've served me well in Scotland, Italy and France. I only use them in very low light / snowy conditions and they turn the dreariest weather into a bright enjoyable experience where you see the lumps and bumps almost as if it were a sunny day.
They're not ski specific but I haven't experienced any eye strain or headaches.... Unlike certain decent brand low light goggles I've had.
They do a more goggle like version too for the outrageous price of £11 or £12 I think.
Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy