Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Late Jan - La Plagne, Mottaret, La Tania or Avoriaz?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

We’re planning a week away 25th Jan-1st Feb 2025, have narrowed down choices to ski in ski out apartments in each of the above mentioned resorts.

I’ve spent hours on Snowheads looking at many old threads on all of these and I’m no closer to making a decision!

I’m a skier, DH is a boarder, we like cruisey blues and reds - we don’t do blacks or off piste, we’re very boring I’m afraid.

Previously we’ve been to Tignes, Zell am See, Les 2 Alpes, Passo Tonale & Sestriere. Planning the return to France as we prefer ski in ski out and within our budget, these 4 are all contenders.

We like nice mountain bars/restaurants for skiing breaks, and a decent selection of shops/restaurants in resort for the evenings.

Which resort would be best for us - and for conditions end of Jan? DH is worried about Mottaret/La Tania altitude (and cost!)

Any advice appreciated, thank you Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@alx.brick, Mottaret is at about 1800m, so similar to Avoriaz and Plagne 1800. (Other La Plagne villages are higher).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes I think he’s getting confused with Mottaret vs Meribel centre. La Plagne we’re looking at Belle Plagne or Plagne Soleil (both 2050m).
Are Mottaret, La Tania & Avoriaz generally similar conditions late Jan or is one of them usually stand-out better?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
La Tania and Mottaret are both in the 3 Valleys ski area, so will have the same skiing conditions.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Exactly, the altitude of your chosen resort in 3V makes little difference — you will be skiing the same runs regardless, albeit your home run might be in better or worse nick depending on altitude and aspect.
I’ve always been happy with Avoriaz at this time of year but 3V has more to offer for a week as it’s genuinely very well linked up. So I’d say Mottaret wins. I also just got back from there whereas I was in Chatel/Avoriaz end of Jan so it’s fresher in the mind Laughing at your stage you can’t go wrong with either to be fair. Can’t speak for boarding though.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@alx.brick, Have a look at Les arcs
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No wrong choices, including Les Arcs above.
Been to all of them from late Jan to mid March.
Avoriaz has the wow factor, all buildings are covered in wood which will look lively after Tignes. Best for a romantic trip. It has Folie Douce conveniently in the village so it's the closest to Austrian Apres Ski (yet not the same fun or prices). But rather expensive and no VFM to dine on the slopes/in the resort at evening time.
3V is a must. Lots of mileage and it's an excellent time to charge.
In normal conditions La Tania should be fine that week at 1400 altitude but I remember the returning pistes as too mellow, especially for a boarder.
Meribel Mottaret is not only higher but it's really central in 3V with a strategic position:
To take you higher in rainy/sunny days, lower in whiteout days and easy to return back home from their Folie Douce party time shows.
La Plagne's strategic lifts are more prone to queues IMHO so Les Arcs was always my preferred domain of the two.
But really no wrong choices for end of January. Enjoy!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
End of Jan I would be staying in Les Coches, Vallandry, La Tania for the tree skiing

Conditions at end of Jan are not of concern, it's the height of winter.

Is this a DIY or TO trip? Why are you booking now?

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 15-04-24 10:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
drporat wrote:
In normal conditions La Tania should be fine that week at 1400 altitude but I remember the returning pistes as too mellow, especially for a boarder.

Well that's a first. I don't think I have ever heard anyone describe Folyeres as too mellow in 25 years of skiing it. It's usually just described as bloody fantastic and one of, if not the, best runs in the whole of the 3Vs. Like here for instance: https://www.thealpinegeneration.com/2023/03/10/our-top-ski-runs-in-three-valleys/

As that article says, Folyeres blue is considered to be at the trickier end of the blue scale for an intermediate. It has an average gradient of 18%, which is more than enough for a boarder to maintain momentum, but at that time of year the red Moretta back to resort will also be open. I think Moretta will (finally) have snow cannons for next year too.

http://youtube.com/v/JKR0cOdk-BA?si=JsQ42wMKkf6TjHVX
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@alx.brick, you should not be concerned about La Tania's altitude at the end of January (or any time really except in a disaster year). The key point is that it is north facing and sheltered by the trees - it holds its snow conditions fantastically well. Another point is that the first gondola takes you to 1,900m so at a time of year (end Jan) where you could have high winds and/or heavy snowfall, you have the option to ski high or low as conditions warrant.

alx.brick wrote:
We like nice mountain bars/restaurants for skiing breaks, and a decent selection of shops/restaurants in resort for the evenings

I think you might find this is more of a differentiator between your options than anything else. I haven't been to Avoriaz but of the other three, none of them are going to compete with somewhere like Zell am See for evening variety. They are all more spread out so if you really want to explore, it'll mean using the free ski bus or pedestrian lifts.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Je suis un Skieur, true, for all the wrong reasons I remembered only the loong green one on the other side.
See what you did, now I need to return to Meribel ASAP... snowHead
Thanks.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all for your advice, will continue to give it some thought!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I wouldn't have thought there was much need to make up your mind on a destination as early as this. Assuming this is a DIY trip, you could book flights (if you don't want to drive) and then wait and see. One of the smaller, and cheaper, resorts might be preferable and somewhere like Valloire, a proper place in its own right, might be more interesting. Your possibilities are all in the big "ski factor" domains and there are others with a bit more "character".
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My strong preferences would be la Tania over Motteret, as it’s cheaper (usually) and A great run home, I found Meribel/motteret pretty horrid last year and so busy even in January. However it’s tiny so if you want more than 3 or 4 shops/bars/restaurants you’ll be disappointed.

Depends on where in La Plagne. Last time we stayed in Belle Plagne which I liked, but it’s super quiet and small (like La Tania tbh) although you can get a bubble at night down the valley for more options.

The 3 valleys for a blue cruiser is incredible, for me it is almost better than Paradiski. Although we swap between the two each year, this year we were at Les Menuires which was so spread out I wasn’t so keen (but that was poss where we stayed)

We are back on Paradiski in Jan 25 and are thinking of Arc 1950 as we’ve not stayed there before.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy